Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

StonecutterJoe posted:

He's like r/thatHappened as a fantasy novel. "And then he made a cutting remark and the wizard teacher sputtered helplessly and was utterly shamed in front of his class and the class cheered and made him the teacher for life and gave him one hundred talents for being so awesome. And that student's name? KVOTHE EINSTEIN."

WIZARD RESIGNED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

How anyone can listen to that man talk for any length of time is a mystery to me

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

didnt she even write a 4th twilight book and then not release it because she got mad about it getting leaked?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

A human heart posted:

That makes her smart.

if rothfuss was smart he would write one chapter of the third book, "leak" it, then get mad and say he's never releasing it. everybody wins

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Ya know this is pretty good if i make myself dumber on purpose

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

what was moby dick's target audience

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

:psyduck:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Moby Dick is maybe 200 pages of interesting wrapped in 600 pages of REALLY interesting.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

HIJK posted:

the truth is that Rothfuss is a hack looking for any excuse not to be productive

Speaking of which

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Ccs posted:

I looked up what the denizens of the internet think are the best lines from Kingkiller. I present them here for your analysis and/or evisceration:

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

“You see, women are like fires, like flames. Some women are like candles, bright and friendly. Some are like single sparks, or embers, like fireflies for chasing on summer nights. Some are like campfires, all light and heat for a night and willing to be left after. Some women are like hearthfires, not much to look at but underneath they are all warm red coal that burns a long, long while.”

“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself.”

This one I actually like up until the last line, though it could do without "feet" appearing twice so close together:

“Go out in the early days of winter, after the first cold snap of the season. Find a pool of water with a sheet of ice across the top, still fresh and new and clear as glass. Near the shore the ice will hold you. Slide out farther. Farther. Eventually you'll find the place where the surface just barely bears your weight. There you will feel what I felt. The ice splinters under your feet. Look down and you can see the white cracks darting through the ice like mad, elaborate spiderwebs. It is perfectly silent, but you can feel the sudden sharp vibrations through the bottoms of your feet.
That is what happened when Denna smiled at me.”

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Anyone who reads and enjoys the "you may have heard of me" bit deserves whatever they get

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Kchama posted:

It's so pretentious and smug that basically in the end what can you expect but Smug And Pretentious Harry Potter?

nothing wrong with being pretentious and smug as long as you can back it up (see: Nabokov)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Malayan and other pen and paper campaigns turned novel are all bad. Also applies to MMO stuff like the sanctuary series.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't think of anyone, including priests, who think communion literally transmutes bread and wine to flesh and blood in a cannibalistic ritual. :shrug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Captain Hotbutt posted:

It still amazes me the Stephen King can write a fantasy series in between writing other books and getting absolutely destroyed by a minivan.

and the quality reflects that

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

and yet still way better than Rothfuss

they are robot wolves with Dr Doom hoods, lightsabers and exploding Harry Potter snitches. All of these things are mentioned by name

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

and yet still way better than Rothfuss

in the way that one turd can smell better than another, different turd i guess

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Patrick Rothfuss posted:

I love Rick and Morty with a powerful love, and I’ve played D&D since the 5th grade,” Rothfuss said in the press release from IDW. “So when they approached me about writing a story with both of them together? That’s some serious you-got-chocolate-in-my-peanut butter $#!& right there. I’m in. I’m all the way in. I’m gettin’ that chocolate all up in the peanut butter. Like, deep in. All the way in. It’s going to be sticky and delicious.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

BananaNutkins posted:

Any chance his charity is funding the extensive con circuit he does every year which keeps himself in the public eye and allows him to sell signed copies of his books and such for personal profit?

convention guests have their travel expenses covered by the con, he goes because he's invited

there are plenty of reasons to think this dude sucks without just making poo poo up, come on

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

branedotorg posted:

Patrick rated it it was amazing · (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-would-blurb
I liked this anthology enough to actually write an introduction for it. Needless to say, that rarely happens.

I was going to drop a review here, then I realized that would be kinda silly, when the introduction I wrote says everything I want to say, much more clearly and cleanly than any quick review I could bang out.

So here it is...

This is a good anthology. Can we start there? Let's start there.

That's really the most important thing you can get out of this introduction. tl;dr - This is a good anthology full of stories that are worth your time and money.

If you want, you can hop directly into reading it. Go on. I won't be offended.

For the rest of you, let me be completely honest and say that when I sat down to read this anthology, I was really nervous.

I really admired Veronica and Tom for putting this anthology together. It's not just a cool idea, it's a vital thing. Anthologies that focus on new writers are really important.

Everyone knows it's hard for new writers to get noticed. Anthologies like this help new authors get their foot in the door, so to speak.

I know this for a fact, because an anthology like this helped get me my start as a writer. When I was published in Writers of the Future back in 2002, it opened up doors for me.

So I admired the hell out of Tom and Veronica for giving new-writers a chance to get a leg up. But at the same time, I when I heard Sword and Laser was putting out an anthology, I was worried for them. What's more, I was worried about the anthology itself.

Why? Because I've read submissions for writing contests. I've read stories at writer's workshops. I've taught writing classes. I've read submissions for a few anthologies myself.

In short, I know how many really awful stories are out there.

That sounds harsh. But it's the simple truth. Bad stories outnumber good ones about 50 to 1. And good stories outnumber great ones about 10 to 1. That's the harsh mathmatics of the situation.

I know this better than anyone. Not just because I've read slush. But because I've *written* awful stories. More awful stories than good ones. Many more.

And because I've acted as editor-in-chief before, if only in a small way, I know that sometimes, after reading 40 bad stories, you throw up your hands and just say, "Fine. gently caress! We need to put *something* in this anthology. That story about the mutant in the woods is good enough."

But who wants to read a story that's just "good enough? Not me. I want stories that are great. I want cleverness. I want wit and language and magic. I want to be surprised. I want to be dazzled.

I want brilliant stories. And I'm guessing you do too.

I was not expecting to get that here. But I did. Some of these stories show brilliance. And not just flashes of brilliance, either. Not just a thin gilding of brilliance over the surface of a clunky tin meh. I'm talking about solid brilliance.

Simply said, I was impressed and pleasantly surprised.

Now am I saying that you'll love every story in here? No. That's a ridiculous expectation. Because everyone enjoys different flavors of story.

And honestly, that's one of the strengths of this anthology. There's enough variety here that no matter what you enjoy, you're probably going to find something to your taste.

Okay. That's enough from me. I'm just the opening band. Quit reading my ramble and check out the real stories.

joss whedon should be locked in guantanamo for influencing an entire generation to write like this

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/Cyberbunbun/status/1160383013659848705?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

collaborating with From Software on their next game is already a better use of his time than any ASoIaF sequel could ever be