Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think Lin-Manuel Miranda thinks Rothfuss' writing about music is credible, but he's getting paid a ton of money. How often do you hear people say "The source material sucks, but we'll see if I can't salvage something interesting out of this mess" when discussing giant popular properties for a major network?

This was my thought as well. He has a vested interest in the shows success and hyping up the author while everyone cares what he says is part of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Very good podcast about bad books "I Don't Even Own a Television" just released an episode about The Slow Regard of Silent Things. Seems they kinda like it.

edit: figure I'll add a link

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2018/03/03/101-the-slow-regard-of-silent-things/

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 4, 2018

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Sham bam bamina! posted:

When BravestOfTheLamps is on probation, I want him to take the time that he'd otherwise spend posting and write the third Kingkiller book for Rothfuss. We'd have it by the end of the year.

I'd help crowdfund that poo poo

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Hughmoris posted:

Hey guys, just checking in after 7 years. Is the third book coming out soon?

Nope but if you hang out in the thread long enough you'll start to realize that's probably for the best.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Now how many pages of Rothfuss thread would it take to equal the :effort: of Wise Man's Fear?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

TV Zombie posted:

Did BOTL break down Rothfuss' side book "The Slow Regard of Silent Things"?

The I Don't Even Own a Television podcast about bad books did an episode on it. They liked it more than I expected. Maybe reading it with no knowledge of the rest of the series is best. Still a good episode of a really good podcast.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Even after a 2ish hour movie my response to The Usual Suspects was "okay that was kinda cool but I guess the rest of the movie was pointless?" I think people would be pretty annoyed if after 40 years and 3 books there was a twist anything like that.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

ElGroucho posted:

Lotta Rothfuss fans, smdh

I also just remembered that Kvothe is in a shipwreck, but it gets completely glossed over because his DM needed him to end up in a city without any gear for the encounters he had pre-planned.

Yup. When I read this I thought to myself "Kvothe just got Metroided!"

UD: To have all of the abilities, equipment, powerups, etc, removed from a character in a videogame. Often happens at the start, or just before the start, of the game. Occasionally happens in the mid-to-late stages, but usually doesn't last for long.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

eXXon posted:

GRRM had a writing career before ASoIaF and he co-wrote a decent novel (Hunter's Run) after starting ASoIaF so no.

Rothfuss is more like the Vermeer of writing, see.

He also wrote a lot more ASoIaF books than Rothfuss did Kingkiller and wasn't out there saying poo poo like "oh yeah all 3 books are totes written already I'll put out one per year" around the time the first came out. GRRM looks bad because pretty much the entire run of the TV show has happened since he put out the last one but I still think Rothfuss is way more embarrassing

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I hope Rothfuss isn't a pet owner.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
https://www.newsweek.com/kingkiller-chronicle-book-3-release-date-patrick-rothfuss-doors-stone-1384701

this passed over my newsfeed. nothing new here but I do appreciate Pat calling himself an idiot for his comments about how he had the whole trilogy written even before the first book came out.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh! It's the woman that did the slightly better Red Letter Media takedown of The Hobbit trilogy thing.

Is that what she's most known for these days? Better than for having a bunch of hot dogs thrown at you I guess.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Do you think LOTR is immune or is this Amazon series also doomed? If that fails we'll probably never get another fantasy adaptation again.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I remember he lost a bunch of money investing in a company that makes board game tables that went out of business.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/19/15999728/geek-chic-bankruptcy-filing-documents-patrick-rothfuss

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I got really excited reading comments on one of the articles about this game table company where people were discussing somebody named Patrick who stole a truck and this was surprising because "he always seemed like such a nice guy at cons" but it was some other Patrick.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
wrong thread whoops

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
After reading some of that I have to ask... have we ever seen Rothfuss and Cline in the same place?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I have so much respect for Abercrombie and often point to him as a counter to the Rothfuss and Grrms of the scene.

Since 2006 the dude has finished a trilogy, wrote 3 standalone books in the same universe, wrote an unrelated trilogy then returned to the universe that made him famous for another trilogy that I have no reason to believe won't conclude next year.

And they're all pretty good at worst!

NotW came out in 2007 and we all know how that's going.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
He should have committed to the time jump

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It's kind of amazing how little Kvothe achieved to be this supposedly legendary outlaw. He, uh, helped a mayor get laid, killed a nonthreatening not a dragon by getting it super high, didn't get anywhere with Denna, banged some women with low standards, and supposedly made out with the sex goddess in a way no one can prove or disprove.

It's especially funny with the way the first book opens and he insists he couldn't possibly tell his story to the chronicler in one day.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Some podcasts I listen to team up every year for a charity drive called Vulgarity For Charity where they roast people for donations to a charity called Modest Needs. Somebody this year selected Rothfuss so I cut it out and uploaded it for y'all.

Pretty basic "where's the book" stuff but not the worst take on it.

https://youtu.be/X470rpddArA

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Atlas Hugged posted:

A prankster with a wheelbarrow dropped a sharp stone into the rapids. Kvothe ran his boat, the Angel, into it.

and this is all brushed past as unimportant because we can't have exciting boat journeys in the main narrative. also he gets "metroided" in the process again.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
But then Denna would be dead and we can't have that can we.

Maybe she could have been turned into a Chandarian during that 100 years that might have been... something

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Pay someone on taskrabbit to build you a gaming table

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
If I ever get around to finishing my basement there a nonzero chance I'll put a gaming table down there (that I build myself).

Problem is I'm an adult man with adult friends and getting more than 2 or 3 of us in one place is an impossible feat so board game nights don't happen too often anymore.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Penny Arcade is where I first heard about Rothfuss. It must have been this blog post from March 2010

quote:

The Name Of The Wind

Tycho told me to read a book the other day and I told him to tear out all of the pages and shove each one individually up his butt-hole. He didn’t do that. Instead he opened the book to chapter near the beginning and told me to read just that chapter, only about four pages. I flipped the book over and read the back.

“THE NAME OF THE WIND won’t just impress longtime fantasy fans; it will absolutely blow them away—an unprecedented, utterly breathtaking storytelling tour de force.”

I kept reading things like the greatest story told in either books or film in the last ten years and rolled my eyes. Tycho turned it back over and handed to me. “just read this one chapter.” he said.  I read the chapter and then immediately purchased the book on my kindle.

If this Patrick Rothfuss guy could do that in four pages I had no choice but to read the rest. I am only about halfway through it now but that’s because I am trying to pace myself. I don’t want to finish it because then I will have to leave this incredible world he has build and who knows when I’ll get to come back.

It turns out that Patrick is a huge PA fan. In fact he posts in our forums which I guess makes him a bigger PA fan that me. He sent us a free copy of his latest book which sadly is not part two of the Kingkiller Chronicle. This book is actually called The Princess and Mr. Whiffle and it has nothing to do with killing kings or the chronicles such a deed might spawn. This is actually a creepy/funny story in the style of a children’s book. It turns out that Patrick Rothfuss is a good writer no matter what he’s doing. It’s a quick little read but funny and I recommend you pick it up along with his fantasy epic The Name of The Wind.
-Gabe out

For the record gently caress penny arcade. They suck for lots of reasons.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Lin couldn't figure out how to make a lute say sad.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I haven't watched it but Ol' Patty was a guest this week on Polygon's youtube boardgame series Overboard playing a game called Fiasco.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

pseudanonymous posted:

"oh you know what, the kingkiller chronicles will be... 10 books!"

If a book 3 ever makes it out the door I fully expect it to end with Chronicler and Kovothe agreeing to one more day to finish the story.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I have it on good authority that writing fan fiction and then changing it just enough so you can't be sued is a surefire way to make $$$ these days

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
We all know the prologue he's sharing is just going to be yet another "silence in three parts" with the slightest tweaks so that was already 90% written.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
He did release that prologue and the superfans praised every line for being brilliant

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Kchama posted:

The prologue was something he released before the charity 300k thing. The charity thing was for the first chapter!

Just clarifying since it can be ambiguously read.

Ah, I remember him mentioning both around the same time but didn't recall exactly.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The skipped pirate adventure was just there so Samus would lose her missiles and morph ball and varia suit and she would have to spend the next big section of the game exploring and regaining all her equipment and maybe some new skills to boot

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
It's in the old thread. Can anybody view it or do you need super special archive access or whatever? Here's the link to the first post anyway.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365216&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=122#post458895404

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Rothfuss does something dumb that we like to make fun of a couple times a year.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If they adapt Name of the Wind to movie or tv there needs to be a little counter in the cornet of the screen at all times showing how many talents kvothe currently has like a video game hud

And another counter for his tuition

This is basically 2 Broke Girls

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Where's this WMF blog? I think I somehow missed that one.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think he convinced her to tell him her true name by being super good at virgin sex or something? I don't know it was a long time ago I read that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Cassius Belli posted:

Does the 55 years between To Kill A Mockingbird and Go Set A Watchman count?
(I personally think GSAW should have stayed in the draft pile.)

Harper Lee while they were of sound mind also seemed to think it was better off left unpublished.

I was going to submit 25 years between Twin Peaks Season 2 and 3 as a good starting point.