Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I was catching up with a friend of mine this past week and she mentioned that she was trying to read Name of the Wind a second time because she "didn't feel like she quite got it" the first time. I told her I didn't like it, and it was like I was a spy giving another spy the password. She went right into a tirade about how much she hated Kvothe and how dumb everything was and how she couldn't understand why everyone had recommended it so heavily to her. It was really funny but also a little hosed up that she felt pressured enough by fan friends to reread a book she wanted nothing to do with.

Then I told her about all the poo poo that happens in Wise Man's Fear and she thought I was making it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Pretty sure I bitched about this in the first thread too, but the Tarbean part not only makes no tonal sense, it directly undermines actual poo poo that happens later. "You don't know what it's like to be truly poor," says Kvothe about how embarrassed he is to not have enough shirts or not being able to afford to go out to eat with his friends... conveniently forgetting that time he beat another kid's brains in with a brick on the corner of Rape Street and Starvation

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Reading about this clownsnack makes me feel so much better about my own writing. If THIS motherfucker can get published then surely I can. Right? RIGHT?? :suicide:

That's not how it works and it will make you insane if you let yourself think about it in these terms

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Rothfuss is like Christopher Paolini, but he doesn't have the excuse of being an isolated, home-schooled 16 year old boy.

Paolini used to make me really mad when I was younger but now I kinda like him and respect his hustle even though his work sucks.

Rothfuss, on the other hand,

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sam Raimi seems way too interesting for this story

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jesus Christ

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Hot take - magic should be magical

Hotter take - the specifics of magic only matter to the extent they undermine or reinforce the dramatic mechanics of the rest of the story

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The Kenny Powers autobiography would 100% be a better book than WMF

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

What an extremely Suburban White Guy take

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Everyone listen up, I've invented a new literary technique I like to call "before-shading"

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ccs posted:

I’m not sure about bigwigs. They had a tiny publishing company that had only published 3 other books. Then the author did a ton of legwork going around to schools dressed as a medieval character and reading excerpts of his book. Which is another thing only a homeschooler could have the confidence to do. This eventually got him noticed by famous author whose kid liked the book and then it was republished by an actual major publisher.

Yeah it's this. I used to resent him a lot when I was younger because he's a legit bad author but he has a ton of hustle, which is more than you can say for a lot of similarly bad authors(like the one this thread is about)

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ccs posted:

But nudity and horrific violence would seem totally wrong in a Tolkien based series. GoT and those it inspired are much more interested in politics. There’s nothing mythical about the heroes, everyone’s a shade of gray.

I dunno about that. There are absolutely good guys and bad guys in Game of Thrones. There's not really any gray to a Jon Snow or a Robb Stark or a Joffrey or a The Bastard

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ccs posted:

So I’m rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood which is a way better story about a 15 year old magic prodigy with an unusual hair color. It’s convinced me that long fantasy stories gain the most by being done in animation (where ridiculous things come off as less ridiculous) and also reminds me how badly Kingkiller maintains a sense of tension.

Trap sprung and all that poo poo but it works in FMA while it fails here because the central event in the story is Ed and Al being severely punished for their prodigious nature, and because in practice all Ed's genius really allows him to do is function at the level of seasoned adults he's surrounded with rather than being able to own them all

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

FMA good, Kingkiller bad

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If you think about it Ambrose's hostility is merely its own form of Kvothe dicksuckery

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Oh man a bunch of new posts I wonder what old Pat is up to--

:yikes:

Is that the same comic that coined the "proud cuck" thing? The art looks really familiar

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

My quote was from that comic's accompanying text.

Oh wow I've only seen the images. You're telling me the post as a whole manages to be even worse??

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

I don't think I can force myself to power through the sex ninja bullshit I know is coming.

I guess I'll never find out if Kvothe gets out of the friends-who-tell-each-other-they-love-each-other-zone with his fancy non-sexual prostitute lady friend

There's a one thousand percent chance that Denna's just going to die in a way that paints Kvothe himself as the martyr

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

These are the sorts of problems you run into when you're just transcribing the setting of your D&D campaign

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

My impression is that every episode is just a second draft (or more likely first) of every assignment he had to do as an undergrad with a few additional segments stitching it all together. It's why it's so disjointed and nonsensical.

:wrong:

Some of them are actually transcriptions of his D&D character's adventures

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

I'm so horny for kvothe, the 17 year old ginger

Lmfao

That's Rothfuss himself B

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Imagine thinking Robespierre was a villain in the first place

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I already know that kind of weirdo, which is why this specific kind of weirdo gives me pause. It doesn't seem like that book should appeal in any way to the fanfiction mindset.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess AP English students who had to read it for class and don't have the life context to appreciate the story yet but still found the failed romance aspects engaging

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I don't think that's necessarily crazy. Finishing a novel with school and/or a day job is really daunting and takes a long rear end time. Doing it within a year if your day job is writing shouldn't be that hard at all, even for these loving doorstoppers, presuming you're working on it regularly. Guess what Pat ain't doing though

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Gitro posted:

What I'm struggling with, and I think that this is a supportive community so I'm going to be honest here, is the idea that you could write those words to praise a thing you like and not immediately eat your own hands in shame

Have you considered the person who wrote it had already eaten their hands in shame from some other piece of poo poo they'd written before and produced the review here by using text-to-speech? It's definitely possible

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I demand more tea, sis

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

MORE TEA

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The type of scumbaggery discussed in the tea here is not the "financial crimes" kind of scumbaggery, it is the "resentful lifelong nerd wins the lottery but retains his selfishness and disregard of others despite no longer needing it as a coping mechanism" kind of scumbaggery hth

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The music of sex is a bassoon making a deep, long, slow fart sound

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

He may not know how to write about sex but he's a master at writing about masturbation

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I'm just the opening band for this book I had nothing to do with because of this long review I wrote for an unrelated website that is mostly about me

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Everything characters do is finally controlled to serve the narrative or arises naturally as a consequence of a character's actions within their environment.

Like, you realize the author (or editor) is choosing everything, right? Ideas don't actually spring forth from the froth of chaos, fully formed and waiting for the telling.

I don't understand what your critique is.

Nah there's definitely a twee phenomenon especially in nerd writing circles about how ~my characters talk to me and we have conversations~ and teehee I just can't do the plot I want because my characters are so vivid and real and they don't want to do the story I made up and it's tremendously grating. Probably the first time I've ever agreed with something Rothfuss has said about the writing process tbh

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yeah, but the post you quoted was answering this:

Ooops. Would you believe I'm dumb and careless about the post I was quoting

But yeah we're just disappearing down the planner/pantser false dichotomy rabbit hole at this point. Deviating from your outline because you thought of a better idea is normal and you as the author are still in absolute control of the events of the story so romanticizing it is annoying and good on Rothfuss for throwing water on that even if he did it in a very Rothfussian way

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Amputating my dick and hurling it into the Atlantic Ocean, then amputating my balls and hurling them into the Pacific Ocean

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

HIJK posted:

At least they’re dating each other and not inflicting themselves on anyone else I guess

Got bad news for you about infliction based on the con stuff

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Again it's real real important to understanding why these books are the way they are to remember that Kvothe is his D&D character and the structure of the story has much more in common with a D&D campaign than with a novel. The quote-unquote worldbuilding bits like overly elaborate currency systems is poo poo you'd find laid out in tables within a DM guide for an adventure. Elements get constantly discarded because there's only so much carryover between sessions. Belated discoveries of "oh you find a sign of the Chandrian" is just something a DM throws in at the end of an area or a set-piece to justify the players' presence there narratively even if the real reason is because the DM just thought it would be cool to have them do. Even things that make no character sense like Felurian can be explained by Kvothe rolling a nat 20 on his gently caress Check

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Nothing really precludes a story from being good just because it's based on a D&D campaign but it needs to be a novel first and a recreation of said campaign second. You can't just copy poo poo over 1:1 and expect it to function dramatically

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

It's totally reasonable to ask for receipts on poo poo like that. To my knowledge there is no documented fire, just an uncomfortable amount of smoke. IIRC the most detailed creepery account was from a goon in this very thread. Totally possible they were embellishing or fabricating poo poo and we're biased against him but they sounded credible and the description of his behavior seemed to track with the better-documented things

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah just to be clear there is no known evidence that Patrick Rothfuss is an actual sex criminal. At worst he is a garden-variety Performative Male Feminist creep

pseudanonymous posted:

I have 0 doubt there are neckbeards that force their girlfriends to read his books. A goon in this thread testified about how an ex-boyfriend "knew their relationship was over" when she didn't like Rothfuss.

I'm like 80% sure you quoted that very goon here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I've been thinking about it for a few hours and I still can't decide if the mark in the middle of the face is a nose or a mouth