Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Man that OP almost made me forget what this thread was about and who typed it.

How many times did you vomit while writing that, BotL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I know Mary Sue is a loaded term nowadays but Kvothe just hits all the points of a backpedaling Mary Sue. He's good at everything! Except not really, see he fails sometimes! Except not really in any meaningful way, and he fails upward! Except, sometimes he has no money, until he does, then he has all the money.

Did Rothfuss design him in high school on some wish fulfilment bit? Even the whole insistence on describing him immediately with "true" red hair and green eyes speaks to the character's creation.

But I'm still going to buy the third book because I hate myself.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The narrator of the audiobook is really good, I especially appreciate the voice he gave the Cthaeh. He does an odd change in pronunciation between books, like calling Devi "Davey" but otherwise it's a good performance of a book I dislike.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I was content to believe Rothfart was just a hacky author with delusions of grandeur, but now I'm convinced that he's just a terrible person who just happened to write some mediocre fantasy novels out of his spank material.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

"Consciousness is a bodily process" in this magic world where dragons can dump their consciousness into magical gem-hearts or some poo poo. Ok, Paolini, got it.

There's like a whole chapter in Eldest dedicated to Eragon and his cousin stripteasing each other while camping out in a monster cave under the pretense of "showing off battlescars." It was really gay and really sheds light on my taste in books while I was a teenager.

I loved hearing about how he was the youngest published fantasy author and it was almost inspirational to me as a kid, until I discovered his family owned the publishing company or some poo poo so it was literally just nepotism.

Basically I love talking poo poo about Eragon even more than I love talking poo poo about Rothfart's books.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I should reread Sabriel and the lot to see if my teenaged memories of the series hold up. I picked up Clariel and Golden Hand as audiobooks and they weren't bad but it certainly wasn't as magical as I remember the original three being.

Also Golden Hand ends with some weird implied barbarian victory sex that hit a little too close to some Rothfussian ninja sex camp.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

This is the story of some gently caress and his student loans.

Yeah I think other things happen but I don't remember them. I listened to the audiobook so I spent most of the time trying to differentiate between "talent pipes" and "talent coins."

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

massive spider posted:

Also, the bit where kvothe killed the bandits didnt seem to make any sense. and not in a regular fantasy way but in a 'breaking the rules of its own universe' kind of way.

So, the established rules of sympathy are that you do something to a thing, and something equivalent happens to something similar. Ok. Also there needs to be a plausible link between the things, ideally them being cut from the same cloth, you can manipulate two things that are sort-of-like-each-other but its dangerous and clumsy. If you want to make a proper voodoo doll of someone you need their hair or blood.

Kvothe stabs a corpse, and the other bandit gets stabbed. What? They dont have anything in common besides being both unrelated humans+bandits. Its that easy? Does that mean no enemy is really ever a threat to a sympathist providing they have an unrelated body nearby?

God forgive me for this violence I am about to commit; I will defend The Name of the Wind/The Wise Man's Fear this one time.

You're basically right: the idea behind Sympathy is that it's easier and takes less energy the closer an object is to each other in makeup and proximity. So he does that demonstration with Denna with the coins, the copper coin can hover the other copper coin because they're nearby and they're nearly identical. It gets harder with the iron coin, because while they're sort-of similar, they're not the same. So it's basically come down to convincing the universe that things are similar and outright lying to it when they're not. I think the book makes an example of catching a bird from the sky with a feather of a different bird; it's doable but the distance and differences make it exceptionally difficult.

As for the voodoo doll and body bullshit, it's the same basic principle. The voodoo dolls work because the hair/blood makes it extremely similar, which makes distance less of an issue. The body is a case of Kvothe being The Greatest At Sympathy and lying well enough to the universe that this dead body is close enough to the bandit's body. I only listened to the audiobook so I have no idea how it's spelled and am too lazy to look it up, but I think Devi is the only one shown in the books that has more ~magic willpower~ (is it reylar? or is that the name of his rank?) than him. I sort-of remember the body stabbing scene with him getting frustrated that it didn't do as much as he wanted it to.

I guess Kvothe being able to do corpse-to-living body Sympathy is a product of him being child prodigy and basically the Very Best No One Ever Was. Every other Sympathist ever lives in fear of being accused of Malpheasance and obviously Kvothe gives no fucks about that in this scenario. TL;DR that entire scenario is Kvothe being every bit that wish fulfillment power fantasy we already knew he was.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

mp5 posted:

a BOTL-tier blow-by-blow of the whole thing

I think he's in Forum Jail right now, but maybe when he gets back he'll fulfill your wish like the world's shittiest genie.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Okay so I know Oh Joy Sex Toy is dumb but as someone who only ever sees it occasionally linked on the web, I don't understand why it's so frequently referred to so disparagingly.

Did it have a comic about using racial slurs to spice up your sex life or something? I just don't quite understand the revulsion surrounding it.

Lmao that Rothfart would think that this was a good idea though.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

:stare: I thought I was being hyperbolic but here we are.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

She literally knows the supposedly all-encompassing name of stones or earth or whatever yet couldn't muster that to escape a building fire.

Yeah, okay Rothfart.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Maybe Rothfuss wanted to make it clear Kvothe is a dumbass who is outdebated by other dumbasses who are coincidentally sex ninjas.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

So the little speech Kvothe gives at the beginning of the novel: do we have a checklist of what parts of it he's actually accomplished in the story? I don't remember it and don't actually own the text so I can't really do it myself.

I'm just fairly sure like 75% of his listed accomplishments are in the last book that won't ever come out because Rothfart didn't plan this very well.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Since BotL is banned and Rothfart isn't going to write anything but Rick & Morty, what are we supposed to talk about here now?

Is this the silence of three parts??

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Holy gently caress I do. That'll be much more entertaining than no books at all.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah but I like subjecting myself to bad things. I'm in this thread for a reason.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Okay but The Name of the Wind is already a lovely origin story. How do you origin story an origin story?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Torrannor posted:

I made a startling discovery:

https://twitter.com/paolini/status/1253068581270683649

Is it only me, or does Paolini look like a younger Rothfuss? What is it with authors of bad fantasy and this specific hobo-look?

A sliding scale of age using Paolini, Rothfart, and GURM for fantasy writers.

But what should we call it?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I did not watch the video because in the first like half a second he's running his hands through his stringy beard and I cannot deal.

That being said, I had assumed the Cheerios boxes were some sort of elaborate and dumb joke. But. . they're not? He just. . decorates with them? What the gently caress?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

How does he even finish this? He's had that many words and still nothing relating to the supposed "main plot" even gets covered.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yond Cassius posted:

I was trying to dig up a source on this (and did find him tweeting about this habit), but apparently he and Sanderson were making a game of signing each other's books for a while.

Yeah somehow this is worse.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I had always imagined it as a thing that lived in the tree, just moving too fast or whatever for Kvothe to see it eating the butterflies.

This is probably more charitable than the book deserved.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Come And See posted:

Sorry man, that episode was just awful in an otherwise mediocre series - and came across just as self-congratulatory as Rothfuss and Whedon etc out to prove who the REAL feminist was.

The more Neil Gaiman I consume the more I'm convinced Coraline was thanks to everyone else on that film.

Gaiman didn't even work on the movie beyond writing the book it was based on so I guess you get a "technically correct" sticker there.

Still just wrong about the rest, though.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

As much as I enjoyed BotL casually shanking the books at the time, it was mostly because I was frustrated after being told these books are "masterpieces" and then experiencing some rather bad and boring fantasy. It was kind of a relief to see someone share the opinion that it was bad!

Looking back at his posts now, they resemble an animal at the zoo screaming and rattling the cage more than any kind of actual reading exercise.

So yeah good riddance, I don't recommend reading these books or BotL's rants about them. Neither is good for your health.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

You've got the mummified remains of BotL marking the first page with the weirdest version of "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" so nobody has to worry about someone walking in unprepared for the horrors within.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Mzuri posted:

Had anyone done a let's read of KKC here?

(Not it!)

Not really a Let's Read but there's several instances of BotL casually shanking specific scenes and chapters in this very thread.

We missed the tenth anniversary to do one, but who needs an occasion for self harm?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The books suck but the real crime for me was all the nerds telling me how beautiful and evocative the prose was and how subversive it was to the genre and then I got this poo poo. The bar isn't high for scifi fantasy poo poo and this was determined to limbo below it.

I've certainly read and enjoyed worse but Rothfart has this colossal, rear end-shaped ego for his incomplete middling fantasy series that really sours even trying to make fun of it anymore.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

He does a little bit of planting/payoff for the string thing, at least. His time in the idyllic countryside has a hiccup because his father's lute (or whatever) snaps a string and he teaches himself to play the songs without that string. I dunno poo poo about music but that's just how the narrative shows he's prepared and exceptional to beat his bully.

It's probably not how music and playing the lute really works, but at least it's planted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah I enjoyed a bit of BOTL's casual shanking of the book but also that guy was a joyless threadshitter so he should stay gone.

He got tossed out of BB and BSS even before the perma, didn't he?