Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Zipperelli. posted:

I stand by my statement. Releasing a game in early access for the specific reason of getting community testing is a vast difference from paying $60 for the game, then $40 for DLC and having to pay another $50+ if you want any sort of chance of finishing the game this century because of a poo poo grind.

Yeah, early access games have a bad rep right now, but that doesn't make them predatory models.

I agree there's nothing wrong going on presently. However, there's nothing stopping the developers from going back on their word or otherwise making terrible design decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That's true, but at this point there isn't much you can do to stop them.

Enjoy the game, shoot mans, live like there's a wipe tomorrow.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Been watching soapy stream a few times and I'm really digging the game, think I'll go ahead and get the 45$ option. I want to support the devs, I find this much more interesting than other survival based shooters.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Buy now or wait... Buy now or wait... Decisions, decisions...

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sperglord Actual posted:

Buy now or wait... Buy now or wait... Decisions, decisions...

It's cheaper than a range session.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Yeah but range sessions don't have lag or memory leaks. :v:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I mean, if the range isn't adequately ventilated or your range mates aren't careful, they can make those features of your life.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I did myself a favor and basically memorized factory, now going in there is basically a trip to the candy store as scav. If you stick to the tunnels and just hustle around eventually you come up behind someone/stumble upon dead/distracted people. Definitely recommended.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Any reason not to start with the basic flavor now and upgrade later? Harsh experience has made me wary of over-investing in early access titles.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Not at all. If you upgrade later, you will need to reset your progress for the upgrade to take effect. You will also get a discount on upgrades in the amount you spent on the previous version.

The starter stash can be a bit punishing at first, but if you level up Peacekeeper and Skier you can pretty much just fill it with cash and just buy stuff as you need it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zipperelli. posted:

I stand by my statement. Releasing a game in early access for the specific reason of getting community testing is a vast difference from paying $60 for the game, then $40 for DLC and having to pay another $50+ if you want any sort of chance of finishing the game this century because of a poo poo grind.

Yeah, early access games have a bad rep right now, but that doesn't make them predatory models.

I don't know how you can look at the package system and not call it predatory, or at least insanely scummy.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

quote:

Error while downloading and installing the game
Unable to read data from the transport connection: The connection was closed.

welp

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait until you get the errors that are just generic debug messages when moving your stash around, then the game kicks you back to the main menu and undoes everything you did while moving your stuff around. :smith:

As for the pricing, I don't think its entirely predatory, but its definitely not fun to deal with stash space when you have the poverty edition. It wouldn't be so bad if money itself didn't loving take up space.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah, a wallet and a keyring would go a long way i feel.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

botany posted:

yeah, a wallet and a keyring would go a long way i feel.

I found a "documents folder" in the building you use to exit Customs. It takes up two slots, but it can hold up to 16 slots of keys and money. I've been shoving all my keys in there and just taking it with me in my alpha container.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I found a "documents folder" in the building you use to exit Customs. It takes up two slots, but it can hold up to 16 slots of keys and money. I've been shoving all my keys in there and just taking it with me in my alpha container.

that's pretty good. can you still use the keys from within the folder? also what building are you talking about, customs has like a hundred exits

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

botany posted:

that's pretty good. can you still use the keys from within the folder? also what building are you talking about, customs has like a hundred exits

Yes, I can use stuff from within the folder.

I'm talking about the exit at the gas station. You run through a choke to get to it. There's a building with loot inside on the tables, then you go down a passage to get to the exit door. I think it's overall the closest to spawn.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

I don't know how you can look at the package system and not call it predatory, or at least insanely scummy.

I think the idea is that you're still getting a perfectly playable game with the standard edition, so it's fine. The people with the special editions get a bit of a head start over standard edition players, but not to a game-breaking degree- they just start slightly more kitted-out and with a bigger inventory, and one of the selling points of this game is that you don't need to be fully kitted out to kick a fully geared person's rear end.

Orv
May 4, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think the idea is that you're still getting a perfectly playable game with the standard edition, so it's fine. The people with the special editions get a bit of a head start over standard edition players, but not to a game-breaking degree- they just start slightly more kitted-out and with a bigger inventory, and one of the selling points of this game is that you don't need to be fully kitted out to kick a fully geared person's rear end.

I don't know, I think the gamma container is an incredibly significant upgrade in usability and power, and it's going to be especially noticeable if they end up caving to player pressure and don't allow people to get gamma containers through normal play. I agree that guns and money are essentially meaningless in a P2W context, since if you're bad you can and will lose all of them very quickly.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Orv posted:

I think the gamma container is an incredibly significant upgrade in usability and power, and it's going to be especially noticeable if they end up caving to player pressure and don't allow people to get gamma containers through normal play.

This is the only thing I find objectionable. More than doubling your protected space is just huge and lets you carry around significantly more useful stuff.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
okay so how the gently caress do i put useful optics on my weapons because everything that's ever for sale is like half-assembled and none seem to take sights

Orv
May 4, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

okay so how the gently caress do i put useful optics on my weapons because everything that's ever for sale is like half-assembled and none seem to take sights

You need a mount, it depends on the gun. AKSUs need a B-18 mount which requires a B-12 hand grip. You can slot the 9400 something ruble Kobra + mount from Prapor straight onto an AKN. The two shotguns need rails first, and the Saiga needs a mount for most sights, the easiest to finagle is an OKP-7 sight but I forget which mount takes that, might be the level 1 mount from Prapor. M4s obviously need rails and will take almost any sight once it has one. Not sure on MP5, MPX or Vityaz, haven't toyed with them enough.

Imgur gallery showing a lot of the mods and parts for guns. There's new parts since and it doesn't have the newest guns unfortunately.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

You need a mount, it depends on the gun. AKSUs need a B-18 mount which requires a B-12 hand grip. You can slot the 9400 something ruble Kobra + mount from Prapor straight onto an AKN. The two shotguns need rails first, and the Saiga needs a mount for most sights, the easiest to finagle is an OKP-7 sight but I forget which mount takes that, might be the level 1 mount from Prapor. M4s obviously need rails and will take almost any sight once it has one. Not sure on MP5, MPX or Vityaz, haven't toyed with them enough.

Imgur gallery showing a lot of the mods and parts for guns. There's new parts since and it doesn't have the newest guns unfortunately.

Just want to edit something for you:

The AK-74u [the lovely ak] doesn't need a B-12 handgrip to attach a B-18 rail. You can attach the rail without the handguard.

You generally have to loot for the B-18, as I don't see any of the traders selling it currently, except occasionally Fence. *edit: lvl 2 skiier sells it*

Speaking of that shithead, if you go into Fence's inventory, you can keep clicking refresh and see his inventory change. This is the global market. People sell him poo poo you may need all the time. He's worthless to sell to, but I always find good poo poo if I spend some time refreshing and looking at his stuff. Pro Tip: the top 6 or so lines of his inventory won't change, so keep his inventory scrolled down about halfway so you can hit refresh and immediately see new stuff pop in. People will snatch poo poo up really quickly if it's something rare, so you have to be fast. I've seen everything from kitted M4s to Fort armor to factory keys on him. It's worth it to spend some time to keep refreshing it.

If you try to buy something and it errors out with "scheme_not_valid" that just means someone got to it before you. I got a kitted MPX from him earlier today, then promptly lost it on shoreline. GOTY.

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 15, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Something about the error for buying from rear end in a top hat McShady too late being "Scheme Not Valid" is really funny to me.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Weapon Modding Guide:

Food and Drink Guide:

Medicine Guide:

So these came from the EFT forums. There are some of the "?" boxes, and as best I can tell, the one for the AKS-74u are the B-11 handguard and the B-18 rail. The Kedr has "?" for a connector to attach a stock. On the AK-74N, there is a "?" next to one of the scopes, that would be for a rail to attach to the scope, presumably to attach a sight to the top of the scope. Same with the M4 below it, the Saiga and the MP shottys further down. The Makarov pistol's "?" is for a threaded barrel for a silencer attachment. Some of the meds, like the vaseline and golden whatever container below it actually have tons of modifiers that aren't listed, so it's good practice to inspect them if you get one to see what effects it'll have. Also, regarding food and drink, if you find it, loving eat it immediately. I can't stress enough how important the Metabolism skill is, and it takes less than a second to right click -> use all and continue on your way. This isn't PUBG where you have to stay still to heal or consume - you can do what you need to do and start moving right away.

Honestly, a lot of your knowledge of modding weapons is going to come down to trial and error, tbh. It's actually not too bad in that, you'll buy something and realize it won't fit, but you can sell it back for not a major loss. Looting military containers (green boxes) will net you poo poo tons of attachments to experiment with as well.

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 15, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
my eyes glazed over after the first picture. i will never be able to mod a weapon in this game. rip

Orv
May 4, 2011
Jesus man, timg that poo poo.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

botany posted:

my eyes glazed over after the first picture. i will never be able to mod a weapon in this game. rip

Yeah you will, I promise. It's difficult, but part of what makes this game amazing. You can tell this is actually a labor of love for the devs to put so much work into the finer details. Just take it slow and start with the basic stuff like the AKu's, pistols and shottys. You'll get it.

Edit: timg'ed for 56k :lol:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

It'd be nice if they put a little more work into their content infrastructure.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is there a goon group who normally play this? i'm very bad at it and i can only hatchet so many scavs to death before i lose my mind.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

This is the only thing I find objectionable. More than doubling your protected space is just huge and lets you carry around significantly more useful stuff.

You can buy a Beta Container (2x3) at higher levels with Peacekeeper. The devs have, however stated that the Gamma Container (3x3) is EOD only.

As far as stash space goes, Open Beta will bring the hideout, which will let you expand your stash via quests. I believe current ETA on Open Beta is EOY.

Also, that docs case is hella valuable. Good find! They're very useful.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is there a goon group who normally play this? i'm very bad at it and i can only hatchet so many scavs to death before i lose my mind.

The Discord in OP is a great place to find people to play with. You'll start to recognize/play with the same people, and they enforce a no-dickhead rule. You can get banned for TKing.

I'm often on there as AngryGreek. Always happy to drag a newbie along on a five man and get them geared/educated.

Zipperelli. posted:

Just want to edit something for you:

The AK-74u [the lovely ak] doesn't need a B-12 handgrip to attach a B-18 rail. You can attach the rail without the handguard.

You generally have to loot for the B-18, as I don't see any of the traders selling it currently, except occasionally Fence.

Speaking of that shithead, if you go into Fence's inventory, you can keep clicking refresh and see his inventory change. This is the global market. People sell him poo poo you may need all the time. He's worthless to sell to, but I always find good poo poo if I spend some time refreshing and looking at his stuff. Pro Tip: the top 6 or so lines of his inventory won't change, so keep his inventory scrolled down about halfway so you can hit refresh and immediately see new stuff pop in. People will snatch poo poo up really quickly if it's something rare, so you have to be fast. I've seen everything from kitted M4s to Fort armor to factory keys on him. It's worth it to spend some time to keep refreshing it.

If you try to buy something and it errors out with "scheme_not_valid" that just means someone got to it before you. I got a kitted MPX from him earlier today, then promptly lost it on shoreline. GOTY.

Higher level Skier sells the B18. The real protip is that once you level Prapor up once you can get full-sized AK-74n's for not much more than an AKS-74u and they are waaaayyyy better.

Akion fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 15, 2017

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Akion posted:

You can buy a Beta Container (2x3) at higher levels with Peacekeeper. The devs have, however stated that the Gamma Container (3x3) is EOD only.

As far as stash space goes, Open Beta will bring the hideout, which will let you expand your stash via quests. I believe current ETA on Open Beta is EOY.

Also, that docs case is hella valuable. Good find! They're very useful.

The Discord in OP is a great place to find people to play with. You'll start to recognize/play with the same people, and they enforce a no-dickhead rule. You can get banned for TKing.

I'm often on there as AngryGreek. Always happy to drag a newbie along on a five man and get them geared/educated.

Higher level Skier sells the B18. The real protip is that once you level Prapor up once you can get full-sized AK-74n's for not much more than an AKS-74u and they are waaaayyyy better.

Whats your #? I'll send you a FR on Discord. We can goon it up.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Izhma on Factory is loving incredible.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

Whats your #? I'll send you a FR on Discord. We can goon it up.

#6922.

Probably won't be on much tonight. Got up at 3:30 AM to go climb a mountain and now I'm really tired.

Izhma on Factory is loving incredible.

Wait till you get an AS Val. :getin:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Akion posted:

#6922.

Probably won't be on much tonight. Got up at 3:30 AM to go climb a mountain and now I'm really tired.

Wait till you get an AS Val. :getin:

All good. Sent you a FR.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
all of my scav runs end up going poorly because i get so greedy i need to work on that

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

all of my scav runs end up going poorly because i get so greedy i need to work on that

My scav runs tend to suck when other player scavs kill me. I try to never kill another scav in scav mode, because it makes it exponentially harder, obviously. Generally I use scav mode to do just that, scavenge. I'll loot dead scavs, all the green boxes I can, and any of the customs dorm rooms I can find a key for.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
right after complaining, i headshot a dude with my secure pouch ppm, looted the crate he was looting, and was prepared to settle for the second ppm and the pack of cigarettes i had as my haul. as i'm running, i get blasted by a shotgun scav and i'm bleeding out. i brainfart and don't use the bandages the guy i killed was carrying until my arm is black, but i do use his medkit to top me off. as i'm running around, still bleeding and weak, i happen upon a pmc loving with his pouches. hatchet him and loot him quickly to find...an avs rig, an aks, and a dufflebag with a bunch of keys and stuff in it.

this game is cool

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So is the preorder a steam version? I don’t like non-steam games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Vahakyla posted:

So is the preorder a steam version? I don’t like non-steam games.

Nope