Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

mellowjournalism posted:

Why do people carry large sums of money around in raid..? And on factory?

I can only assume his stash was completely full. That would explain the backpack-within-a-backpack. Also, apparently a wipe is incoming so he may have felt more at ease with losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Also, troll move of the year is to put 1 rouble in each slot of a trizip and go raiding with the knowledge of knowing you're gonna get killed. When whoever kills you goes to loot your body, it'll take forever to "search" the trizip because you put 1 rouble in each slot, so the chances of said person getting domed before they can take your bag is high. Also, if they want to do anything with it, they have to combine all that poo poo.

It's a huge dick move, but hilarious. Someone did it to Kotton on stream and after about 10 cells of 1 rouble each, he raged the gently caress out. It was hysterical.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How do melee weapons work? I assume I can't attack from a sprint because I ran up on some guy spam clicking and before I could swing my knife he just casually turned and killed me.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How do melee weapons work? I assume I can't attack from a sprint because I ran up on some guy spam clicking and before I could swing my knife he just casually turned and killed me.

You can't attack while sprinting. That includes melee, shooting or chucking grenades.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

mellowjournalism posted:

I sprint to extraction in basically complete delirium and then go hog wild in offline mode screwing around with my stolen toys:

goddamn i didn't even think of doing that to get used to new weapons :doh:

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
Took out a group of 3 players in Customs near the bus station. They started shooting at me from the construction site so I ran around and hid in the bushes between the railway and bus station. I think I counted three when I ran so I just waited for the guys to walk past me and peek the railway when I started firing with a lovely MP443. Got one, looted an AK74N from him and then popped the other guy up at the railway. Waited for a few minutes and healed up, then I thought that the third guy was dead because there was no movement anymore so I went to loot. Sure, the third guy was still there and armed with a fully kitted M4 and armor so I shot the whole clip from my AK in panic, missed most of the shots and so did he. Pulled out my MP443 and shot him in the face once.

When I looted the guys they all had armor and helmets, one had a silenced sniper AK with a AK SMG. The other guy had a fully kitted M4 and an AK with a bunch of stuff. After getting a full kit and taking a few spare guns I went to the gas station and got one shot by a scav because the helmet I took from the guys was pretty busted. I was not even mad because the firefight was so much fun.

Right now I am kind of stuck at Skier because I cannot find the Fort armor anywhere. I've ran Factory a bunch of times and waited for I think 3 scav waves and just not getting any armor. The last time I saw Fort armor was on some sort of magician in coast line who just wiped me and my friend instantly.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

live free or dont posted:

Right now I am kind of stuck at Skier because I cannot find the Fort armor anywhere. I've ran Factory a bunch of times and waited for I think 3 scav waves and just not getting any armor. The last time I saw Fort armor was on some sort of magician in coast line who just wiped me and my friend instantly.

Ive found fort armor tends to spawn in the later waves of scavs on factory, so you may need to just hunker down for a while, until there's 20 or so minutes left, then go scav hunting.

I've had really good luck on woods by the bunker extract. There's usually a scav or 2 there with fort on.

Also, make sure you don't accept the skiier quest until you actually get a fort and a helmet, because it's timed, and a pain in the rear end to complete in the time limit unless you're really lucky.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i just learned that there are only two types of body armor right now? forts and PACAs. that means i've had fort armor twice and just didn't know what it was lmao :ughh:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Pressing R twice does a quick reload. You drop you mag and just put a new one in

Later on, you can grab your mag from the ground again.

Pressing Shift+T and Shift+G checks your chamber and magazine respectively. It's pretty helpful if you loose track of an engagement.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Played my first few games with a rando from the official discord. Game is super fun (if not a bit janky). First game got to kill two people who were apparently standing there talking to each other after they spawned, then got lit up by some guy I couldn't see. Next game me and my teammate got simultaneously one-tapped by what was assume was a hacker (we died at the same time and nobody was near us and we weren't near each other). Only on the 4th game did I manage to actually successfully extract with a decent amount of loot after killing 4 scavs. Next game got rekt by two fully kitted out guys that for some reason the three of us couldn't kill. One of them had killed my two teammates and I was camping in the grass waiting for him to come loot. He doesn't see me and starts looting, I unload into him from about 10 feet away and he just turns and immediately kills me. Last game I accidentally killed my teammate as he loaded in after getting D/C'd. Felt really bad. Got killed by a guy that was lag-teleporting all around.

With how bad the netcode is it's hard to tell if you're hitting someone or if they're hacking or lagging around. People just kind've appear next to you and you die instantly.

Good game though. Really satisfying when you semi-auto ping someone a hundred yards away and see them drop.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mellowjournalism posted:

Why do people carry large sums of money around in raid..? And on factory?

Probably trading with a buddy/giving their buddy something. Or grabbing a backpack and not realizing it'd your money bag before going into a raid.

You can store things in bags and it helps a lot with space, I once accidentally took a tri-zip filled with money and gold chains into factory by just spacing out and grabbing the first bag from my inventory and rushing to lobby

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Well, I finally figured out how to extract from a round.

Dropped in as a scav and found some guy trying to snipe from the top of a building and hit him twice in the head with my starting pistol. From there I took his SKS and killed 4 other people (i think 3 were AI and 1 wasnt)

It took 15 minutes of alt tabbing constantly to compare landmarks but I finally found an extraction point :woop:

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Nice, it's moment like these that make me enjoy games like tarkov.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I seriously do not understand this game. I don't understand the structure of rounds, I don't understand who is and isn't a player, I don't understand where I have to go or what I have to do, I don't understand how players aren't always just going to cap the single exit point (that is still a mystery to me on most maps).

I feel like I must be missing so much.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Knifegrab posted:

I seriously do not understand this game. I don't understand the structure of rounds, I don't understand who is and isn't a player, I don't understand where I have to go or what I have to do, I don't understand

Put this in the OP

Also google is your friend :)

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Knifegrab posted:

I seriously do not understand this game. I don't understand the structure of rounds, I don't understand who is and isn't a player, I don't understand where I have to go or what I have to do, I don't understand how players aren't always just going to cap the single exit point (that is still a mystery to me on most maps).

The rounds are structured as raids. You go in, you try to get out without dying, and hopefully picking up some loot along the way.

If you go in as a PMC, it doesn't matter who's a player for now. Kill anything you see if you feel confident enough. If you're a scav, don't kill other scavs, kill the guys who look like they're carrying a ton of gear.

You have to get to the extract and kill people and loot guns, ammo, consumables, etc.

Players do camp the extract occasionally, but it's tough because there's generally at least 2 or 3 exits to any given map.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Escape From Tarkov: I seriously don't understand this game

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Knifegrab posted:

there's more than one exit per map, camping them is tedious and you don't always know (a) if there are still players alive on the map, (b) if they're trying to take your exit rather than the others and (c) if they're scavs who are carrying a lovely shotgun and a few bolts and hubcaps. if you're camping that dude with your modded M4 and body armor, congrats. you just spent 30 minutes lying in the dirt to not pick up worthless scrap.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Zipperelli. posted:

If you're a scav, don't kill other scavs,

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i don't know about this one

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

dylguy90 posted:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i don't know about this one

bruh

i just spawned, saw another scav, we both have no gear at this point, we look at each other for a few seconds, i do the customary "i am friendly" shoulder wriggle, and he blasts me in the face with his shotgun.

congrats, you earned yourself a pistol. now every other scav on the map wants to put your dick in a vise and you can no longer use AI scavs to ambush PMC with actual gear.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh poo poo do AI scavs not attack you?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

dylguy90 posted:

Oh poo poo do AI scavs not attack you?

haha no you dumbass :D not if you're also a scav. you're all scav buddies, until you kill a scav.

edit: i will say that i do kill scavs from time to time, mostly in situations where i'm not sure if that thing over there is friendly and i don't want to take the risk. but in situations where it's clear, try to play nice with other scavs.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Ahahaha that explains why my scav rounds have been so much easier

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Just had some fun rounds with GreyPower and Skoots on the discord. Did a few rounds of Customs where we all got wrecked (at least with some fighting back), but then we had an idea where we are going and got out with some neat loot and plenty of kills to our name.

Play with goons, my lord.

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006
Ya it was pretty good pull. Started out with a crappy pistol left with two shotguns and an ak all with lots of ammo. Had fun would do again.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
can any australians confirm what ping is like for the 'other' region before i drop money on this slav simulator

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

swimsuit posted:

can any australians confirm what ping is like for the 'other' region before i drop money on this slav simulator

See my post on page 1, it's good for me on powerline adapter FTTN NBN in Sydney, which is where the server is

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Akion posted:

I know a guy that killed some famous streamer who had a trizip full of USD (like, several million). He likes to go on factory and make it rain money on people from the rafters.

Ok lol the idea of someone's endgame being playing as a loot goblin for other players is really funny and cool, hopefully this game is so nerdily hardcore that the community stays awesome like that. Speaking of, I'm loving loving the scav meta. It's so goddamn hilarious trying to scope out player scavs and find out if they're:
A) so new they'll shoot anything that moves
B) so greedy they'll shoot anything that moves
C) so awesome that we do the wiggle flashlight dance and then go on adventures hunting PMCs

One guy was so chill that he let me check the factory key spawns first, and when I turned around to shake my head no, it didn't spawn, he did a slow look downward and shook his head at the floor. Then we split up and looted the map separately and I ambushed two PMCs and stole their loot before extracting alone, thinking wistfully of my good scavenger friend whose name I will never know. GOTY

live free or dont posted:

After getting a full kit and taking a few spare guns I went to the gas station and got one shot by a scav because the helmet I took from the guys was pretty busted. I was not even mad because the firefight was so much fun.

This is what I love about the game. Maybe I'm pulling this out of my rear end but it feels designed or at least it plays on this awesomely insane seesaw of risk reward balance where you just have totally crazy runs that end in totally crazy ways (learnt about meds the hard way bleeding out with a broken leg literal paces from extraction) and you just accept it because hey, you just ended some other guy's run a couple minutes ago anyway. OK I have to share the most embarrassing story where I found my first AS Val in the gas station extract of customs and was truly dicking around like an idiot, closing both the doors for no real reason (something about contemplating ambushes) and accidentally threw a grenade, because I'm seriously that bad and dumb and blew myself up.
:shepicide:

(A couple runs later I found my 2nd AS Val on Factory main 3rd floor spawn. almost missed it too! So...can I seriously not even fire this thing until Lvl29 or something? lol

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I am thread famous.

So how am I supposed to know where the exits are? Just pure luck? Looking it up on YouTube?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Knifegrab posted:

I am thread famous.

So how am I supposed to know where the exits are? Just pure luck? Looking it up on YouTube?

You can lookup maps on google or buy in-game maps at later trader levels from therapist, but they aren't too difficult to find. If you are really lost you can follow the boundary wall and you'll find one eventually. They are vaguely on the opposite side of the map from where people spawn in.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

I am thread famous.

http://www.escapefromtarkovmaps.com/

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Knifegrab posted:

I am thread famous.

Look up a map online, then play in offline mode and practice navigating. Nothing gets saved in offline mode so you can whatever dumb poo poo you want.

You should also know the exits are less than obvious. They're a place you stand, not a thing you use. You stand in a certain area, or next to a door, and then a countdown happens.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

had the weirdest bug ever. Near the end of a factory run my gun was flashing in my inventory and I couldn't load it, shoot, aim, take out a different gun, etc.

I finally figure out that I can't do anything at all so sprint to an entrance and my gun is empty, all the mags i tried to reload into it disappeared out of my inventory, and out of the 5 kills I got, none of them registered. So I got out of there with some crap gear and 200 in exploring experience. Wonder what was up with that, major server lag or something?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

had the weirdest bug ever. Near the end of a factory run my gun was flashing in my inventory and I couldn't load it, shoot, aim, take out a different gun, etc.

I finally figure out that I can't do anything at all so sprint to an entrance and my gun is empty, all the mags i tried to reload into it disappeared out of my inventory, and out of the 5 kills I got, none of them registered. So I got out of there with some crap gear and 200 in exploring experience. Wonder what was up with that, major server lag or something?

In had the same thing happen in the middle of a match on Customs. I just used the task manger to for ce close the game, then reopened it and spawned back in. I made sure to hide first, but if you force close, when you boot it back up, it'll tell you that your character is still in the raid, and will give you the opportunity to reconnect.

Works pretty well. Didn't lose anything. Fixed my gun problem.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

In had the same thing happen in the middle of a match on Customs. I just used the task manger to for ce close the game, then reopened it and spawned back in. I made sure to hide first, but if you force close, when you boot it back up, it'll tell you that your character is still in the raid, and will give you the opportunity to reconnect.

Works pretty well. Didn't lose anything. Fixed my gun problem.

I know what to do next time. Somehow I managed to extract but it was really messed up. Thanks.

edit: this is the map i use for factory, dunno about the others

edit2: The next time i loaded into factory i got credit+exp for all the kills i made the previous run.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 18, 2017

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Any word on the wipe and patch this week supposedly ?

I've been playing since Sept last year

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

Any word on the wipe and patch this week supposedly ?

I've been playing since Sept last year

Has there not been a wipe since then?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
hella tired of getting tked by scavs

gently caress off man you really want to die over an aks?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

hella tired of getting tked by scavs

gently caress off man you really want to die over an aks?

if they aint wiggling, shoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Has there not been a wipe since then?

No there have been , there was a wipe a month or more ago I think

But they've changed the loot tables a few times since then , things are just a little wonky in my opinion