Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Current guess is late this week or next week for the next wipe.

Have a video that made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG2ktAzWyXQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm going to be all over this game for a while, I'm having so much drat fun. making GBS threads on people who have actual guns with a few Makarov headshots isn't getting old

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
PSV ammo for the Makarov will make short work of anything without armor. PMM is also great but harder to get.

Once you level Skier up a bit you can get a barrel+silencer for the Tokarev, which when combined with the silver/black ammo is a murder machine that eats armor and shits dead bodies for like... 10k Rubles.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mainly I want a wipe and patch that removes the instant-topping up of magazines

The meta right now of go in with a silenced M4, with two 60 round mags and 200 loose rounds is lame

If you watch any of the top streamers you'll see them spray all 60 rounds downrange, reload, instantly top up the now empty mag, and keep going until the entire map is dead

Sure you can get a lucky shot off or sneak up behind them, but trying to compete with 60 rounds coming your way (silenced) is a real chore

Stuff like that should be pretty rare and few and far between

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Instead they can just bring 4 mags. Idk.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Instead they can just bring 4 mags. Idk.

Right, but the idea is supposed to be that once you blow through your ammo, it takes some time to reload the magazines

Not drag and drop voila instantly full again

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
New best 5.56x39 is now the HP round. Prapor sells it, it's silver in color. poo poo shreds everything. Dropped a player with 2 to the chest, and he was wearing PACA. Get them while they're hot!

There was an updated ammo dmg chart on the official forums somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up, but 5.56x39 HP is god-tier now.

Edit: A reload animation to stop the instant reload speeds has been confirmed by Kleen in one of his streams.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

Mainly I want a wipe and patch that removes the instant-topping up of magazines

The meta right now of go in with a silenced M4, with two 60 round mags and 200 loose rounds is lame

If you watch any of the top streamers you'll see them spray all 60 rounds downrange, reload, instantly top up the now empty mag, and keep going until the entire map is dead

Sure you can get a lucky shot off or sneak up behind them, but trying to compete with 60 rounds coming your way (silenced) is a real chore

Stuff like that should be pretty rare and few and far between

This has been confirmed by the devs as something they will change, along with knowing how much ammo is in a mag/gun via inventory. As you level up your respective skills, you'll get a more precise count and get faster at reloading a magazine. They're also going to make first aid have an animation at some point as well.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ah good, gate poo poo behind skills so grinding is the only way to catch up to people rather than just killing them and taking their stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Ah good, gate poo poo behind skills so grinding is the only way to catch up to people rather than just killing them and taking their stuff.

I feel like maybe this got glossed over in this thread so far, so here's some words;

:siren: The game Escape From Tarkov is right now, is nothing like the game the developers intend it to be.

Everything, from loot speed to mag packing and from grenade throw distance to melee damage, is eventually going to be governed by skills. Skills that, if the current values stay in place, will take a very long time to max out. Further, if you don't play Tarkov for a while, your skills will degrade to certain break points.

There's also the karma system. Tarkov is intended to be a team/faction and group oriented shooter. BEARS are not supposed to kill each other, nor are USEC, PvP should be cross faction, and PMC vs scav only. The devs have so far stated some pretty harsh penalties for same faction killing. Nausea (hand shakes, blurry vision, slower reloads and weapon handling), weapon jamming and other fairly severe systems have been talked about for punishing these people. Given how they've bent to player whining so far, that system may not end up as harsh as they've spoken of, but the possibility is there.

Finally there's the hideout. When/if the maps all get combined into a single large DayZ style, large player count map session, to extract your gear you'll have to reach points near the exteriors of the combined play field, in order to extract things to your hideout. Your hideout will start as a dilapidated bunker with almost no amenities, and through quests, loot and money spent, you can upgrade it to have a variety of functions. Notably, it's how you'll get more stash space once the packages are gone. It's also had some troubling comments from the devs, like having to track down, build and power your own PC in order to access traders. Or a continual need for gas to keep the generator running in order for permanent wounds (also an eventual feature between raids) to heal.

If the team is actually capable of doing everything they want, the game that exists now won't exist at all, aside from the gun mechanics, in a year. Just keep that in mind when you're buying/playing it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

wish someone had told me before buying it. if the current systems are kept i'll have plenty of fun but im not interested in honest to god skill grinding in 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

wish someone had told me before buying it. if the current systems are kept i'll have plenty of fun but im not interested in honest to god skill grinding in 2017

To be fair, you're already grinding the limited skill set that's in place just by playing the game. You've probably already noticed that you can sprint for longer than you could when you first started playing. The game will probably continue to be baseline playable (take gun, shoot man, take him gun, leave place) without ever even looking at your skill tree.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

At least one of those informations is 100% incorrect because the devs said that the maps will never be combined.

Take everything elsw with a grain of salt.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You're in luck -- it's probably not going to be in place until 2018. :v:

I initially fell into the trap of getting too attached to my loot and would only do scav runs (and shoot other scavs because I thought this was That Kind of Game). Eventually drove me to stop playing and uninstall.

Today I'm saying gently caress it and throwing caution to the wind, because now that the wipe is incoming I really can't justify doing anything else. Hopefully that sticks post-wipe.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

At least one of those informations is 100% incorrect because the devs said that the maps will never be combined.

Take everything elsw with a grain of salt.

They've been talking about doing that since the beginning. As a separate raid option, mind you, not as a replacement for individual maps.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 18, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i have gotten four pistol scavs in a row

gently caress off tarkov

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i have gotten four pistol scavs in a row

gently caress off tarkov

Being properly sneaky-breaki you can do a lot of damage with a pistol Scav once you know where players will go on a given map. I wiped out a geared duo with the Grach yesterday by leg-shooting one guy as he looted the checkpoint, then drawing his friend out and doming him.

Also:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Orv posted:

To be fair, you're already grinding the limited skill set that's in place just by playing the game. You've probably already noticed that you can sprint for longer than you could when you first started playing. The game will probably continue to be baseline playable (take gun, shoot man, take him gun, leave place) without ever even looking at your skill tree.

I don't mind being able to sprint a little bit longer, but not being able to reload or see what is in mags effectively without grinding is poo poo, and so is skill decay in a loving game in this year.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You'll still be able to reload/see what's in a mag. You'll just be faster/more effective as you skill up. So instead of checking a mag and seeing "About half full" you'll see "1/4 full, 1/3 full..." and eventually an exact round count after you've leveled up enough.

It's part of the game now. When you level up certain weapon platforms (AK, M4) your reload animations get faster and change.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
do we know when the next wipe is?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Probably be the end of the month, potentially as soon as this weekend. I expect it'll be a fairly sizeable update. Expands out shoreline to (I think) almost 2x the current size, adds the AKM + some other gun bits, probably tweaks quests and adds new ones for Peacekeeper.

They usually release preliminary patch notes a few days out.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Good lord, I've already lost all my stockpiled guns and not a single extract. :psyduck: I'm being cautious and trying to scavenge and get out, but I just keep getting murdered real quick. Guess today's just not my day.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i've been getting desynced to hell today, i'm gonna take some time so i don't just start rage-losing all my aks and poo poo. this game is very dangerous if you're tilting.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If you want to play uber cautious, go into the raid with a Makarov or Tokarev + some ammo, and a bottle of water/juice.

Wait until about the 35 minutes elapsed mark, then start moving slowly. You can also check extracts via the console. Scav extracts are easy to see because it'll say Wild Vest. Players are a little harder, but usually you can tell by their guns and such.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Being able to press 6 hot keys containing ifaks and heal your entire body at once is silly

It ruins fire fights because if you don't cjee up their armor or black out a limb with the first volly they come back at 100% health 5 seconds later

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

Being able to press 6 hot keys containing ifaks and heal your entire body at once is silly

It ruins fire fights because if you don't cjee up their armor or black out a limb with the first volly they come back at 100% health 5 seconds later

That's getting fixed soon, I believe. I keep a single IFAK on my belt or a car kit in my harness so I can heal on the run. Still gotta drag the Grizzly onto the limb when poo poo gets broke, though.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Blue On Blue posted:

It sounds like IFAKs might be the real problem here. Definitely explains some of the tactics I've been seeing this time around, and considering how simulationist this game tends to be with damage in other cases, it doesn't add up that you can recover that quickly.

Akion posted:

If you want to play uber cautious, go into the raid with a Makarov or Tokarev + some ammo, and a bottle of water/juice.

Wait until about the 35 minutes elapsed mark, then start moving slowly. You can also check extracts via the console. Scav extracts are easy to see because it'll say Wild Vest. Players are a little harder, but usually you can tell by their guns and such.

This is really good advice. Thanks a ton!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i don't mind skills and getting better at certain guns through skill grinding, but i do mind having to keep playing in order not to "forget", which is dumb, and i REALLY mind not being able to use a gun because my level isn't high enough. in a game that constantly jerks off about realism that mechanic makes zero sense.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Good lord, I've already lost all my stockpiled guns and not a single extract. :psyduck: I'm being cautious and trying to scavenge and get out, but I just keep getting murdered real quick. Guess today's just not my day.

in case you're playing factory: don't play factory. play customs instead and take it slow. wait for people to press on and kill scavs, then loot the scavs / fallen players a safe distance behind them. if you do it right you're never going to get into a single shootout and fill every pocket you have with loot.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Akion posted:

You can also check extracts via the console. Scav extracts are easy to see because it'll say Wild Vest. Players are a little harder, but usually you can tell by their guns and such.

can you explain this to me a bit more please? how do i open the console? what messages am I looking for?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is there anyway to change "teams". I am worried I won't be able to play with friends.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

can you explain this to me a bit more please? how do i open the console? what messages am I looking for?

Look for items being destroyed. At the end of the line you'll see item names.

Knifegrab posted:

Is there anyway to change "teams". I am worried I won't be able to play with friends.

Faction doesn't matter right now, and they'll wipe before it will. You can choose a different faction when they wipe. BEAR can play with USEC for the time being.

At release you'll be able to have two characters, one in each faction.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

botany posted:

i don't mind skills and getting better at certain guns through skill grinding, but i do mind having to keep playing in order not to "forget", which is dumb, and i REALLY mind not being able to use a gun because my level isn't high enough. in a game that constantly jerks off about realism that mechanic makes zero sense.

in case you're playing factory: don't play factory. play customs instead and take it slow. wait for people to press on and kill scavs, then loot the scavs / fallen players a safe distance behind them. if you do it right you're never going to get into a single shootout and fill every pocket you have with loot.

Is this something they had in mind ?

I have never read anything about skills being forgotten over time if not used , but I may have skimmed over that

However the not being able to use a gun thing because of skill level is not true , it's just that the more you use a particular gun the more you rank it up ... And this unlock the ability to utilize it more efficiently

Such as faster reloads or tactical reloads or quicker immediate actions on a stoppage

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Blue On Blue posted:

Is this something they had in mind ?

I have never read anything about skills being forgotten over time if not used , but I may have skimmed over that
look at your skills page on your character, there is a "memory" skill that impacts how quickly you lose experience :S

quote:

However the not being able to use a gun thing because of skill level is not true , it's just that the more you use a particular gun the more you rank it up ... And this unlock the ability to utilize it more efficiently

Such as faster reloads or tactical reloads or quicker immediate actions on a stoppage

I haven't encountered it but there was a person in this thread saying they had found a weapon they were too low level to use? if that's not true i'm all for it!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Akion posted:

Look for items being destroyed. At the end of the line you'll see item names.

how do I open the console? I googled it but it was mostly "is tarkov coming to consoles" which don't do me no good. and there's no button in the controls options.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

botany posted:

look at your skills page on your character, there is a "memory" skill that impacts how quickly you lose experience :S

I haven't encountered it but there was a person in this thread saying they had found a weapon they were too low level to use? if that's not true i'm all for it!

Hmm well I don't really have an opinion on the memory thing , I suppose it could be annoying if we're talking like a few days and you suddenly forget how to do a tac reload

But yeah the not being able to use a gun thing is totally un true , the only time that happens is if the gun is missing a vital component like a gas block or barrel etc

It may have been a gun that someone stripped a part out of to be a dick and let it on the ground

As long as the gun is functional you can pick up and shoot anything no matter your skill level

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

botany posted:

how do I open the console? I googled it but it was mostly "is tarkov coming to consoles" which don't do me no good. and there's no button in the controls options.

Tilde ~

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

There is a way to do this. It's a complete account reset and will let you pick faction, account name, and restock your stash with everything you had when you first loaded up the game. It can only be done once every two weeks. You'll lose all quest/level progress too.

In the launcher click your profile in the top right and go down to reset profile which should open a web page in browser (I'd post the link directly here but I'm not on my home computer).

Some guys in the official discord told me this when I complained that I'd lost everything. It's instant, but you will have to restart the game to see the wipe.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Nooooooooo don't wipe, I just found a factory key as a scav last night! I wonder if I should just go hog wild and use up all my gear because I've been hoarding a lot.

Akion posted:

This has been confirmed by the devs as something they will change, along with knowing how much ammo is in a mag/gun via inventory. As you level up your respective skills, you'll get a more precise count and get faster at reloading a magazine. They're also going to make first aid have an animation at some point as well.

Ah nice, was just wondering this last night as I spammed tab to check ammo count. Think they'lll make drum mags take 2x2 or 3x1 space instead? A chest rig full of drum mags is dumb as hell lol

Also I have a zillion questions but I'll just start with this one: Can players hear your healing sound effect? Does that poo poo carry beyond say, a wall?

Akion posted:

I wiped out a geared duo with the Grach yesterday by leg-shooting one guy as he looted the checkpoint, then drawing his friend out and doming him.

I loving hate the Grach. It shoots so slow. Is fire rate determined by your familiarity with the gun or anything? Makarov 4 life babyyyyyyyy that thing just BLAPS right out the gate

Does anyone sell tokarev mags or does prapor only take barter items for them?

botany posted:

i REALLY mind not being able to use a gun because my level isn't high enough. in a game that constantly jerks off about realism that mechanic makes zero sense.

Is that because of my comment earlier? Just to be clear, I can use the AS Val, I just meant that nobody sells ammo/mags for it till I get to level 29. I have found AS Val ammo/mags in the wild, just didn't realize it was such a pain to procure or I would've kept them. I actually love the poo poo out of this masochistic system

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mellowjournalism posted:

Nooooooooo don't wipe, I just found a factory key as a scav last night! I wonder if I should just go hog wild and use up all my gear because I've been hoarding a lot.

You should always use your stuff all the time. Things come, things go. Thus us life in Tarkov. Eventually you'll have enough stuff that you don't worry unless you just play really stupid.

mellowjournalism posted:

Ah nice, was just wondering this last night as I spammed tab to check ammo count. Think they'lll make drum mags take 2x2 or 3x1 space instead? A chest rig full of drum mags is dumb as hell lol

Probably not. Higher capacity mags are expensive (a 60rd AK mag costs almost 50% as much as the gun) which is their limiting factor. They may tweak cost but IDK since its supposedly based on IRL cost.

mellowjournalism posted:

Also I have a zillion questions but I'll just start with this one: Can players hear your healing sound effect? Does that poo poo carry beyond say, a wall?

Anything related to opening/using items in your inventory is only heard by you. Reloads and pulling nade pins obviously being exceptions to this. I might be wrong, but I've never heard it.

mellowjournalism posted:

Does anyone sell tokarev mags or does prapor only take barter items for them?

Trade only unless you find them on Fence. I always take any I find in raid out if I have room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

mellowjournalism posted:

Is that because of my comment earlier? Just to be clear, I can use the AS Val, I just meant that nobody sells ammo/mags for it till I get to level 29. I have found AS Val ammo/mags in the wild, just didn't realize it was such a pain to procure or I would've kept them. I actually love the poo poo out of this masochistic system

yep, i misunderstood you, and somebody else's comment seemed to reinforce that. glad i got it wrong!