Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well they locked Katherine McNamara into a 3 year deal so either she gets tossed back in time or we get Arrow Beyond on the regular.

Which is blech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I liked Arrow Beyond. I'm a sucker for "next generation" comic book stories and its the closest I'll get to the Wally/Roy Titans series I want.

I mean it was stilted storytelling but that's the fault of the flashback format. All those stories have been stilted.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I do like that in Arrow Beyond they made Ollie's son gay, because if he had been a straight red blooded male there's no way they would be able to explain him not constantly trying to hit on Katherine McNamara.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Worst comes to worst, they get shipped to Legends and they and Zari can trade future stories.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yer Burnt posted:

Sucky casting news.
Spoilered to be safe but I'm sure it'll be unavoidable.

‘DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow’: Brandon Routh & Courtney Ford To Depart the CW Drama As Series Regulars
https://deadline.com/2019/08/brandon-routh-courtney-ford-exit-dcs-legends-of-tomorrow-series-regulars-season-5-the-cw-1202702311/

From the sound of it, this was purely a writers room decision and both Brandon Routh and Courtney Ford are mildly pissed about being written off the show from their reactions to the news on Twitter. But the news article explicitly states that they're being written out in a way that leaves the door open for them to come back as guest stars later. So at least they're not killing them off like Stein, Snart and Rip. (...hopefully)

Super disappointing all around.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 24, 2019

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Medullah posted:

Yeah it's good Arrow is ending on decent terms (unless DIAZ comes back in the final season) but Flash is getting really old. I'm not even going to watch Batgirl unless I hear it's good.

Legends just keeps getting better (despite spoilers).

The new show is Batwoman. Batgirl was Barbara Gordon before she became Oracle.
I know very little about Batwoman. All I know is that she's a lesbian who got kicked out of the military because they asked and she told. And she's Bruce Wayne's cousin, I think? I wasn't keeping up with comics when she came out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Her one episode in the Arrowverse set her up as Batman's cousin who is quietly taking up the mantle since he's disappeared.

All I know about her from the comics is that she dates the Question, so I'm really hoping we get the Question. Although I've never actually read the Renee Montoya version of the character but i'm gonna assume its still fun.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aleph Null posted:

The new show is Batwoman. Batgirl was Barbara Gordon before she became Oracle.
I know very little about Batwoman. All I know is that she's a lesbian who got kicked out of the military because they asked and she told. And she's Bruce Wayne's cousin, I think? I wasn't keeping up with comics when she came out.

That's basically it, yes. Her dad is a colonel in the military, helped her train to be Batwoman, and served as her "Alfred" (by which I mean staying on comms talking to her in missions/looking up stuff on computers/etc). She dates Renee Montoya, a Gotham City detective/sometimes faceless vigilante called the Question.

There, you know everything there is to know about Batwoman without going into a stupid wiki-level deep minutiae.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Wasn't there a Renee Montoya in the Constantine show?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Renee was on the first season of Gotham before unceremoniously vanishing.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Re the spoilered news: I'm sad and disappointed because I love! , but imho the character in question has been going nowhere fast for several seasons. Jokes aside, there has been more than a little flanderization and the writers have no idea what to do with them. Sucks to the be them tho, LOT looks like it was a lot of fun to work on, despite the above issues.

CW have done "come back as a side char" before and it didn't work out, for Snart at least and arguably Al Guuuuuuuul as well. It's a low key go away in my eyes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Part of it is probably that the show has not great ratings and a large cast so they probably need to cut the budget somewhere.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it kind of makes sense to turn over the roster constantly since my understanding is that the longer you're on the higher the pay gets. The format seems to encourage new blood.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

muscles like this! posted:

Part of it is probably that the show has not great ratings and a large cast so they probably need to cut the budget somewhere.

Agreed, but the writers are the problem, they expanded the cast in the first place! (Ava, fine, keep, she's a lynchpin now and part of an awesome LGBT non human power couple)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sloth Life posted:

Agreed, but the writers are the problem, they expanded the cast in the first place! (Ava, fine, keep, she's a lynchpin now and part of an awesome LGBT non human power couple)

Hey Ava's totally a human!... just an genetically engineered clone

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Renee was on the first season of Gotham before unceremoniously vanishing.

Killed by the six fingered man.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TwoPair posted:

That's basically it, yes. Her dad is a colonel in the military, helped her train to be Batwoman, and served as her "Alfred" (by which I mean staying on comms talking to her in missions/looking up stuff on computers/etc). She dates Renee Montoya, a Gotham City detective/sometimes faceless vigilante called the Question.

There, you know everything there is to know about Batwoman without going into a stupid wiki-level deep minutiae.

After the Flashpoint reboot her main squeeze was Maggie Sawyer. (Yep, that Maggie Sawyer, although they redid her as more or less Renee in Supergirl.) They had an entire long arc leading up to Kate finally proposing to her and revealing her identity at the same time.

Then DC editorial immediately killed it and hand waved it off as "major characters shouldn't get married" horse poo poo while it was obvious to the entire goddamn world they didn't want a gay marriage in their comic

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Don't mind me, just catching up to some news.

They've announced that Burt Ward is going to be in the crossover this year, which should definitely be weird.

WTF, this is so awesome.

Yer Burnt posted:

Sucky casting news.
Spoilered to be safe but I'm sure it'll be unavoidable.

‘DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow’: Brandon Routh & Courtney Ford To Depart the CW Drama As Series Regulars
https://deadline.com/2019/08/brandon-routh-courtney-ford-exit-dcs-legends-of-tomorrow-series-regulars-season-5-the-cw-1202702311/

That sucks
I wonder if they'll fix her Fairy Godmother status. I was looking forward to them abusing the poo poo out of a fairy godmother.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chokes McGee posted:

After the Flashpoint reboot her main squeeze was Maggie Sawyer. (Yep, that Maggie Sawyer, although they redid her as more or less Renee in Supergirl.)

Who? Should I recognise that name?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Who? Should I recognise that name?

She was Alex's girlfriend on Supergirl for a season and a half.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She was Supergirl's sister Alex's girlfriend/fiance for a season or two.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Supergirl had an adoptive sister named Alex, and Maggie Sawyer was her girlfriend and then fiancee for a couple seasons.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/caitylotz/status/1167099491779899397?s=20

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sara Lance is going to beat the poo poo out Genghis Khan :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's no way Ray and Nate don't make 76 Wrath of Khan references in this episode.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rhyno posted:

There's no way Ray and Nate don't make 76 Wrath of Khan references in this episode.

That seems like a low number. The real question is are they going to get the Mortal Kombat music for when Sara fights someone in the episode?

I will bet that he and Rory get along great though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Though given the episode title I can see Zari challening Khan to Mortal Kombat. Assuming she's still a gamer as whatever the "good" timeline version of her turns out to be.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

seaborgium posted:

That seems like a low number. The real question is are they going to get the Mortal Kombat music for when Sara fights someone in the episode?

I will bet that he and Rory get along great though.

I'd bet just one, but it's amazing.

Haven't they played Mortal Kombat on the show already?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

I'd bet just one, but it's amazing.

Haven't they played Mortal Kombat on the show already?

I think it might have been in Zari's collection of games, yeah. I just remember her getting super pissed about Guitar Hero turning into Trombone Hero or something when Elvis didn't become famous.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
She played against Jax so they could make the joke of his character choice

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

howe_sam posted:

Oh gently caress yes :getin:

A bit late, but cool. The thing I like the least about post S-1 LoT is how Brandon Routh was introduced as this charismatic intelligent confident person in Arrow and after watching him as Superman, Todd and the original Atom, his current character feels very out of touch with the actor. He's doing his best but it feels a bit like a waste to me.

I think he's at his best when he's a goofy arrogant character, like his original character in Arrow or Todd.

Ovolactovegetarian, maybe.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Elentor posted:

A bit late, but cool. The thing I like the least about post S-1 LoT is how Brandon Routh was introduced as this charismatic intelligent confident person in Arrow and after watching him as Superman, Todd and the original Atom, his current character feels very out of touch with the actor. He's doing his best but it feels a bit like a waste to me.

I think he's at his best when he's a goofy arrogant character, like his original character in Arrow or Todd.

Ovolactovegetarian, maybe.

Or when he was possessed by Neron.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Xelkelvos posted:

Or when he was possessed by Neron.

Evil Ray, best Ray.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Brandon Routh is great playing evil; on Chuck he transitioned from whitebread good guy to very evil dude and went from a guy nobody cared about to one of the more memorable villains on the series.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Argue posted:

Brandon Routh is great playing evil; on Chuck he transitioned from whitebread good guy to very evil dude and went from a guy nobody cared about to one of the more memorable villains on the series.

I miss that show so much

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Pillowpants posted:

I miss that show so much

It wasn't until the season finale that I even realized the showrunner of LoT is Phil Klemmer, who wrote several great eps of Chuck--at which point it started making sense to me why I like the show so much now; tonally a lot of the episodes are very similar, especially that last ep.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pillowpants posted:

I miss that show so much

Real shame about Adam Baldwin

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Latest rumor is that Roy Harper will be the next Arrowverse character joining the Legends!

Not sure how he’ll fit into the dynamic in general, always struck me as a little too angsty/serious, but I’m just glad his personal life stuff seems to be a little more sorted out.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Thaddius the Large posted:

Latest rumor is that Roy Harper will be the next Arrowverse character joining the Legends!

Not sure how he’ll fit into the dynamic in general, always struck me as a little too angsty/serious, but I’m just glad his personal life stuff seems to be a little more sorted out.

*flips*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thaddius the Large posted:

Well he'd certainly be a great add since it seems like between being in the last season of Arrow and then appearing on Arrow Beyond he's got years available for time shenanigans