Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

twistedmentat posted:

"Fixed" :commissar:

I didn't watch Arrow until at least after season 2, so it was more removed from Smallville for me. It is weird to think that Smallville wasn't that long ago, it always felt like a 90s genre action show like Buffy or Xena.

I think the fact that Smallville was on for so long ends up warping our perspective a bit since we frame it more as when it started then when it ended.

There's also that its last few seasons happened during the beginning of the modern era when Nolan's Batman movies and the MCU were kind of establishing a new standard for comic media. Smallville was still the "standard bearer" (only option) on TV and was basically limping along by giving its starving fans some real comic elements but it wasn't very good. It was just the only option. And by the end at least it was trying instead of all those years of fighting so hard not to be a comic book show.

It basically takes five years for us to go from Smallville alone to full blown four show Arrowverse, Agents of SHIELD w/ Agent Carter, and Netflix debuting Daredevil as the kick off for a Defenders franchise. Its startling how quick it happened when you step back and look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I buy that Darkh was sincere about his feelings about Nora and how her danger changed his perspective.

But you know, he's still a sociopath. To my understanding the former doesn't disqualify the latter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chokes McGee posted:

Sociopaths don’t feel human emotion the same way. He may be callous and flippant about murder to the point of sheer insanity but I believe his moment of “whoops hosed up my life” clarity.

My understanding is that a "sociopath" is someone who is prone to impulsive, angry, violent, cruel actions who don't empathize with the strangers but can still build very strong emotional connections to people they know. And "psychopaths" are people who can't empathize with anyone but can hide it with charm and control. And these two terms are often confused.

So Darkh caring deeply about his daughter and wanting to help her, but willing to murder millions of people with nukes or raise a demon to kill countless people is that "sociopath" definition to an extreme.

Lets remember who Darkh is. Sarah and Mick killed some people. Darkh tried to destroy or control the world on at least 3 different occasions. After a life as an assassin and crime boss.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wanna say Booster Gold is one of those characters DC is always holding off because someone in the chain of command is convinced they're going to make a movie or tv show of him or something. He was rumored to be part of the Krypton series and the little I know about its premise it seems clear where he would have fit in and who he was replaced with.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not writing Wally off based on that stuff. Its weird for him not to be in the promotional stuff, but its all way pre-production so I'll wait to hear for sure. Maybe he just was a late addition or has a contract in negotiation or Flash doesn't know if they want him back or something. I dunno. I have hope.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Are we culturally at a place where we just gloss over "Dumbledore once said..."?

I'm not making a thing of it. I just want to know if that's something I'm supposed to have already gotten used to and somehow missed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

gently caress, I'm surprised they haven't already. If you had asked me if they had done a JK Rowling gag already I probably would have guess "yes".

After all, the great philosopher Snape once said...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume "fairytales" just means "The Legends are totally going to fight a dragon" but its Legends so I certainly can't factor out the possibility of them just hanging out with Snow White.

I mean, the big bad could be a witch or a demon or something but the big bad of last season was a demon and Darkh basically is a witch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think Morgan Le Fay is actually a really good call of the sort of villain. Lots Legends would have fun with a character most people have heard of in passing but that they could really do whatever they want with. But I think a lot of it depends on if they go fullblown "magic and fantasy" or if its more Constantine type demons and magic. I think people might just be jumping on the "fairytale" line a bit much.

But again, its Legends, so it totally could be Fables or non-Disney Once Upon A Time or something. I mean, there's no rules after Beebo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

nine-gear crow posted:

God, it's a shame it Disney owns Marvel instead of DC, because I would be down as gently caress for the Legends to ruin a bunch of Disney fairytale characters' lives with their Time Idiocy ala Once Upon A Time. Only like not suck at it like OUAT did.

I don't know but I assume most of those Grimm characters and stuff are actually publicly available. Like I think they could do Snow White if they wanted to, it just couldn't be Disney's Snow White. And like they couldn't do Frozen. After all, Fables was (is?) a thing.

But if Legends had free access to Disney characters they'd just go straight for the Mouse.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 28, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My hope is that at some point they finally land Megalyn Echikunwoke and she shows up and is like "Gammi, what the gently caress?!"

But I fear they retconned it so the other sister is now modern Vixen permanently.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was something like that but I fear that it was done so that when they want to use Modern Vixen they don't actually have to try and get the apparently hard to book actress.

Its always just going to be a thing with me because I'm a fan of Megalyn, was excited when she was cast on Arrow, and then disappointed that she's never shown up again despite tons of Vixen and opportunities. Not that I don't love Maisie but its just always going to be one of my Arrowverse disappointments along with stuff like Wally and Roy never finding a new group of friends and everything about the Huntress.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe she'll be like an alternate Earth version of Amaya so we can finally get the Waverider fulfilling its destiny and jumping to different wacky Earths.

Especially with what sounds like it might be another new Earth introduced with Batwoman. Making Legends dimension jumpers seems natural.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He really works as a character in the universe. Like if its just a 1 season stint with Legends have him go guest on Flash next season. Or do some kind of Justice League Dark crossover with him in 2020. I love that the Arrowverse is full and rich enough now that just like a comic book universe there's characters like Constantine who are doing their own thing who can show up with history for a 3 issue arc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I totally interpreted Danny as a well meaning idiot and I think that was the intent. So if you're taking it that way you'll probably be fine.

A lot of people just didn't find it endearing and were pissed off he wasn't a kick rear end fighter. Which I totally understand but I didn't go in with any real preconception of Iron Fist the way I did with Daredevil, Luke Cake, or Jessica Jones.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was really a whole snowball of things for Iron Fist. People were high on Daredevil S1, Jessica Jones, and the first half of Luke Cage but then the second half of LC and DD S2 started to turn the tide of reviews. Iron Fist seemed to be the most troubled production of the bunch with people unsure if it was even happening which ends up leaving a negative impression on the people who follow this stuff closely. There was the racial debate of whether Danny should be a white dude even though he always has been or if it was racist to begin with and should be changed. Iron Fist has all that mysticism and dragon stuff that was only really alluded to in the season. The actor wasn't a trained martial artist and the fights disappointed people. Danny was an atypical hero in his naive childlike representation and very easy to dislike. The Hand kind of sucked through the entire Defenders line.

Plus it was about time for the "Season 3" turn in sentiment on the Defenders.

It just all added up and Iron Fist got poo poo on hard. Some deserved, most of it understandable, but HARD.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Putting aside "they're drunken idiots" as an excuse its completely within character and basically the entire theme of the team for them to induct questionable people in need of reform. Like those of them who weren't killers and villains before joining the team were all people who felt like they needed a second chance in some way. That's the entire team identity beyond "they're idiots."

So yeah, it makes sense that they'd come around to bringing Not Amaya and Nora on board eventually. Why wouldn't they?

Argue posted:

Now that we got a better look at the flashback guy, WAS it Manny? It didn't look like Harold Perrineau to me but he's got the fashion and facial hair.

My guess is its a recasting because he's gonna show up later and they couldn't get Perrineau (or didn't think it was worth it for an easter egg to fans of a buried show).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tiggum posted:

Supernatural will never end.

And now they've introduced alternate dimensions I actually wouldn't be remotely surprised to see one of the Winchesters mock the other for having a Beebo.

It feels like a Dean thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I honestly always though the "no lunch/toilets" thing was mostly just people looking for things to complain about, to be honest. Like, the ethical questions of locking them up without trial is totally fair. But complaining that there weren't toilets and working plumbing in the makeshift cells or that they weren't devoting time on the show to show them delivering lunches? C'mon.

I'm convinced that if the webisodes were just part of episodes we would have just complained about them wasting time with exposition nonsense we could have just assumed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've actually never really assumed that the two Gideons were the same "person." Like isn't Gideon the little thing Booster Gold plays with? So I always assumed it was just an easter egg first to Thawne time traveling and the "janitor in a museum" similar comic origin and then to Legends and Rip and the similarities and connections. For a while there weren't we speculating that Rip's kid was Booster? Or he is in the comics or something?

Or maybe its just that Legends Gideon and Flash Gideon are different v.X.X like Brainiac? That seems to make more sense that the Waverider's AI somehow ended up as Thawne's AI... or vice versa... and it never comes up. Wally has to have known of them both, right? Or Stein? Seems like it might have come up during that "Don't trust me" story.

Phenotype posted:

At the time, you were probably right. But it was a legitimate criticism -- they devoted so little time to explaining their superjail that it came off kind of oblivious. Usually on these kinds of shows they have a little end scene where the bad guy gets put into a cell with rows of other bad guys in cells and there are security people around that you assume handle bathroom breaks and dinner. On the Flash, they told you that they're storing people in the old particle accelerator (which probably wouldn't have plumbing), then they put the guy in a tiny little cube and then slide the wall down and you never hear from him again (unless they need him to stop someone else wreaking havoc, or his brain gets eaten, or whatever). I think they honestly should have put in a scene or two where Cisco brings them lunch, or they try to pull someone up to help with the monster of the week and the guy's straining one out on the can.

I just don't really agree. Like I think it makes sense to just assume that even though we all agree there's some ethical and moral complications around the idea of vigilantism and locking up dangerous super powered villains without trial when there wasn't at the time a viable system in place to deal with them, the concern that maybe Team Flash is just letting them just fill their cells with piles of piss and poo poo until they starve to death is kind of silly. Like I never questioned "do they feed them?" because I just took it for granted that "Yeah, they feed them."

Like we don't question whether the Legends were feeding Charlie while she was locked in a cage in the middle of a room. The same basic situation is there and the Legends are established idiots and morally ambiguous people. And they've had other prisoners before when they were even less competent and more murdery. But we give it the benefit of the doubt because (a) we don't really need to be shown that kind of non-story or character thing and (b) we're enjoying the ride.

That's a BIG theory of mine when it comes to TVIV attitude. When we're enjoying a show we give it the benefit of the doubt, dismiss the little stuff, and excuse some big stuff. When we're not enjoying a show we nitpick the hell out of everything and start making a big deal about some really petty stuff.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 6, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Totally fair and true and the truth is I'll undermine myself a little bit and argue that I think on some level the focus on the very silly "No Lunch" thing was more of a kind of comical way to reference the more serious "No Trial" issue.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

great big cardboard tube posted:

Gotta agree here, the ground hogs day episode completely sold me on Zari and this did nothing of the sort for Charlie.

It was still an amazing episode, just like this whole season, though.

Those groundhog day episodes always have a wacky element but focus on the character's emotional and psychological stress of it all. This episode didn't really give Charlie a ton to go through. The focus was mostly on the wacky parallel timeline hijinks. And to be honest I'm not even sure Charlie's ultimate actions were selfless and not just her trying to get to a timeline where the Legends/Custodians/Sirens weren't trying to kill her.

But it was a fun as hell episode on its own. I don't need to like Charlie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't he a chud now? Like a Jordan Peterson style idiot?

I watched some of his recent Netflix special and it didn't strike me as "chud". It didn't seem terribly nuanced or thought out in general but he seemed like he was kind of vaguely to the left of stuff. I dunno. Most of it was basically him roasting himself that he just jumps into stuff he has no place talking about and then makes an rear end of himself and the issue.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its funny because I didn't know what a single one of those examples people gave was but I was so clueless that I wasn't entirely sure people weren't just intentionally making stuff up as a joke.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Davros1 posted:

Director of Submarine
Saboo (not Naboo) of The Mighty Boosh

I mean that's just gibberish, right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be clear, I wasn't demeaning his work or anything. I just literally had never heard of any of those things before.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always enjoy when it seems like a new actor moved to Vancouver and suddenly they're in like half a dozen "genre shows."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not at all bothered by Nate/Zari or consider it terribly "rushed." They're pretty friends who been working and living side by side for years and poo poo happens. Despite what happens on TV most relationships don't require a long telegraphed courtship or some hurdle to pass over. They're hot, they get along, they're both single at the moment, oh hey why not?

Mona/Konane was definitely weird though and I'm glad we seem to have agreed to move past it this episode. Not that I'm terribly feeling Mona and her bad werewolf on the team, but I'm open to it without the odd "Is that bestiality? Wait... am I being a bigot? Wait... he was a god so is she the 'lesser' being? Wait... what?" Konane aspect.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WhyteRyce posted:

Seems like just the other day we were worried the crew was getting too thin

Its weird because just a few episodes ago Ava was MIA, Nate and Z were off in their own story, and Gary and Nora weren't regulars. And then whoops, cast is huge!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chokes McGee posted:

I think they juggled it extremely well in the latest episode. I think everybody got meaningful face time in, including Nora.

Yeah, i didn't have a huge problem with it. Just like objectively speaking its suddenly a big rear end cast thanks to Nora, Gary, and Mona getting bigger roles and Ava returning in a main one. But I assume we're nearing the end of the season so it makes sense to get everyone onboard for the last act.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tiggum posted:

Yep. There's the Arrowverse (Flash, Arrow, LoT, Supergirl, Batwoman) and the DC Universe (Titans, DP), and then the various others (Black Lightning, Swamp Thing, Gotham, etc.) each in their own separate continuity.

You don't mean "The DC Universe" as in "The DC Cinematic Universe", do you? Like the Titans Robin isn't Ben Affleck's Robin and the Doom Patrol's Cyborg isn't the Justice League's cyborg, right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fozzie Bear posted:

Could someone explain the Monitor guy eating popcorn? I don't watch the flash/arrow/etc just this one (and doom patrol now), so I feel like I'm missing out on something.

Here's the basic breakdown as I remember. Spoilers for Arrow as well as Flash and Supergirl (and Batwoman, I guess).

The last crossover Elseworlds (that the Legends skip) was about the Monitor - a massively powerful celestial being - loving with the heroes of various Earths in order to test and prepare them for an impending Crisis. He struck a deal with Oliver Queen (to save Barry and Kara and end the crossover problem or something) that he'd aid him in the coming Crisis. At the end of the Arrow season Oliver and Felicity leave Star City and go off the grid to give birth to their child in peace, but the Monitor arrives and takes Oliver away because its time for the Crisis and that Oliver wouldn't survive it. The Monitor also appeared at the end of Supergirl to drop off someone who was apparently J'onn J'onz's brother from an alternate Earth or something related to the Crisis. Also Flash has for seasons had a dangling thread that Barry is supposed to disappear in the future in "The Crisis" (which they know from a future newspaper headline) and at the end of the season the date on the newspaper moved up to 2019.

As you may have figured out by now the 2019 crossover will be The Crisis and will include Legends, Supergirl, Flash, and Batwoman and be the end of Arrow.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 11, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Double post

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lets be real, Ray's Atom suit ran out of batteries and he hasn't built anything in 2 years. He's just about bro hugs, musicals, and love letters now. And he's much happier.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 23, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I think Amell is done and Oliver is dead, but hasn't CW been coy about the future of the Arrowverse and new shows post Crisis?

I doubt they'll cancel Flash, Supergirl, or Legends for a gimmick but I wouldn't be surprised to see reshuffling of casts and a new show or two besides Batwoman. Just have to wait and see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I mean the future as in like next NEXT season, not mid season.

A lot of it will probably depend on how Batwoman and Crisis go over. And whatever else CW is cooking up to replace all their tentpoles ending.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I liked Arrow Beyond. I'm a sucker for "next generation" comic book stories and its the closest I'll get to the Wally/Roy Titans series I want.

I mean it was stilted storytelling but that's the fault of the flashback format. All those stories have been stilted.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Her one episode in the Arrowverse set her up as Batman's cousin who is quietly taking up the mantle since he's disappeared.

All I know about her from the comics is that she dates the Question, so I'm really hoping we get the Question. Although I've never actually read the Renee Montoya version of the character but i'm gonna assume its still fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it kind of makes sense to turn over the roster constantly since my understanding is that the longer you're on the higher the pay gets. The format seems to encourage new blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She was Supergirl's sister Alex's girlfriend/fiance for a season or two.