Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Elentor posted:

I stopped watching Arrow because this is how they wrote entire seasons:

Ep 1: Character 1 does something morally ambiguous or not at all, Character 2, who's done far worse things in the past and may or may not even have to do with what Character 1 did gets really mad.
Ep 2: Strong tension between Character 1 and 2. Motivational dialogues. Oliver Queen never looks straight into anybody's eyes and is always staring at the wall above the other person's face while contemplating existence.
Ep 3: Character 1 and 2 learn a strong lesson about friendship and/or forgiveness and are now safe until every other character in the cast has filled their drama quota.

Repeat the cycle 7 to 8 times per season. Fill time between brooding and characters guilt-tripping each other with combat scenes in a warehouse. Show Oliver Queen using his bow as a melee weapon so often it makes you wonder why he doesn't just grab a club or a sword instead. Also, alcoholism.

Bonus point if the characters stuck in the drama cycle are debating about how bad killing is and there's a bloodbath where they murder a lot of goons, shoot down a helicopter with an explosive in the middle of a city, or both. Remember kids, it's okay to kill faceless henchmen, sometimes.

Since you quit watching you'll be happy to know this holds up so you aren't missing anything. This is actually the season dedicated to nothing but this kind of dumb dramatic slapfight.

The most recent dramatic confrontation came between Oliver and Diggle. Diggle was Green Arrow for awhile and was buying special drugs off of a drug dealer to stay in action. Later when the guy tries to take over the city Oliver comes back as the Green Arrow pissing Diggle off. Diggle, the guy who funded the drug dealer that took power during his time as green arrow, blames Oliver for letting the drug dealer take power. Diggle, also the guy who executed his own brother, claims Oliver can't accomplish anything without killing people. So the team splits up again.

My favorite instance though was the team all splitting up earlier in the season and when a criminal holds the city's money ransom in exchange for their safety the team that left Oliver show up to kill the criminal and end up firing guns at everyone and hitting felicity, hacking a medical device and injuring diggle, trying to kill Oliver with an axe and cause the city to lose all of it's funding due to their failed assassination loving up the ransom. They are then extremely outraged and highroad Oliver for injuring one of them while defending himself and pleading for the fight to be over in a fight they started.

Bonus points for the team initially splitting up because Oliver spied on them when the FBI had insider information on Team Arrow. He found out that one of the team was the FBI informant however the fact they were spied on was so terrible that they had to dramatically split up.

Legends is so much better it's not even funny.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Elentor posted:

Tell me how spot on these made-up dialogues are and if I'm ready to be hired by CW:

*In an extremely Diggle voice: "You've crossed a line, Oliver. Not this time. This time you went too far."
*Oliver looks blankly between Diggle and the camera and slowly shakes his head around.
*Felicity, crying, looks up to Oliver and says: "We looked up to you, Oliver. I don't recognize you anymore."
Oliver stares between Felicity and the camera, and finally says in a resigned voice:
"Maybe you never saw who I truly was."

Edit: I think I could probably write a procedural arrow season generator.

This is pretty spot on but they dropped the Felicity-Crytalks-every-line last season.

They should really just cancel Arrow and harvest any budget and redeemable characters for Legends. Curtis might be fun if he didn't live in Depression City in the greater Dramatic County.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

The Lord Bude posted:

The whole 'team/main cast group breaks down because *drama* and starts fighting with each other' plotline has never, ever, resulted in good TV ever and I wish writers would learn to stop doing it. (The only exception is probably series 6 of Buffy and I don't even think that counts).

Arrow could have had an amazing season focusing more on Oliver balancing his responsibilities as a father with his Jobs, and building his relationship with William/ William coming to terms with Dad being a superhero.

Who knew that a fun show that doesn't take itself seriously would be a million times better than one that is extremely depressing and 100% nonstop drama?

Oh wait, everyone except the CW writers responsible for The Flash Season 3 and most of Arrow. Let the Legends writers have all three shows. Supergirl is doing just fine because even when there is a threat Supergirl 100% can not handle and defeat is certain they still might have a nice lunch or hang out with Martian Manhunters cooldad for an episode. They don't just stand in a dark warehouse growling at eachother about how lines have been crossed and nothing will ever be the same.

twistedmentat posted:

The Legends will go to like, Tudor England and find out the Groom of the Stool is on the payroll of Diaz.

Blaise330 posted:

Joker: Even I'm not crazy enough to cross Diaz.
Luthor: Take down Diaz? Who do you think funded my election!?
Brainiac: I collect worlds..... for Diaz

Wheat Loaf posted:

Diaz has the Anti-Life Equation.

CobiWann posted:

Sinestro fears Diaz.

None of you get it. Diaz has already won.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 17, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

VictorianQueerLit posted:

None of you get it. Diaz has already won.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Mr Beens posted:

The effects for when they tried to use their totems as weapons the first time were really ropey though. Nates ball of earth in particular.

They had to be careful with the budget. You could tell that when Mallus/Malice/Mollusk went back to his home planet for most of the episode and sent his human subordinates out to do his dirty work.

"Uhhhh he's.....injured? so we are going to deal with blackbeard for awhile."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I've often wondered lately, since Legends is the show that can redeem just about any facet of the Arrowverse through the power of not giving a gently caress, could Legends redeem its own first season in any way? Could they make a S2/S3 Damien Darhk out of Vandal Savage if they really tried? Or should they just leave it all behind in the dust and keep moving forward with other things?

They could have a plot where they need to shadow themselves throughout key points in their own pasts during S1.

Have the new crew commenting on how bad / dumb the hawk people and Vandal Savage are while Sarah, Ray and Rory try and defend some of the dumb stuff they were doing.

Zari: "Why didn't you shoot him."
Rory: "I wanted to. They wouldn't let me.
Sarah: "He was Immortal that heals from any injury."
Nate: "So throw him into outer space."
Sarah: "Look, can we not do this right now?"
Nate and Wally Laughing: "Sure let's go help the reincarnated Egyptian hawk lovers find their magical dagger"
*Sarah glowers at them*

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 20, 2018