Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Guts is in the army at 5 and him and Caska are killing people at like 14. The Stark girls are like 11-16 at the oldest. These are one young boy and a bunch of young women. (Younger than whatsherface in this show actually)

What I'm saying is the offense you're taking seems to be based on your expectation for what is acceptable content in a story about a young girl finding family vs. what's allowed in show's featuring prominently male characters (maybe? I think GoT is pretty 50/50 for all its faults) or I guess grand scale fantasy in the case of GoT and dark gritty male lead fantasy in the case of Berserk. That divide is actually fake and stupid though and you should embrace new stories that break your expectations rather than complaining that an intimate story about family (fantasy or not) isn't allowed to have these dark elements. Critique the execution all you want but don't just brush it off by saying they're not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I'm actually talking about the show opening up with institutionalized slavery, having one character partake in it in order to purchase the other lead and it not getting developed in the episode? That's why I said it seemed like you could excise slavery entirely.

E: If that hasn't been clear all this time then holy poo poo I'm really sorry for waffling about :(

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 14, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Could people who have read the manga stop with the spoilers? Especially the ones without spoiler tags? :sigh:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It contextualizes their interactions with other magicians being very wary even when they're not actively hostile, and establishes that a lot of them are hosed up and will be more hosed up. Idk I don't know how it comes off in the anime exactly but when I read the manga I was like "drat her life's pretty hosed up, oh she entered this auction to escape her hosed up extended family and also bc she's a dumb teen, oh it's good this doofy skeleton guy saved her." Does it tonally swing from this dark point to sunshine and daisies dad fun times for the rest of the story? No. It'll reengage with the dark side of the magical world plenty but it's not going to be heavily about the slave trade specifically or the two of them trying to dismantle it, it's just there as a thing (far from the only) that's hosed up but exists in magic society and a pretty great thing that skeleton dad swoops in and saves her from it. For my part I think it's pretty dumb to say if it's brought up as a plot point it then has to be immediately engaged with and said "slavery is really bad" in the same episode that fact was pretty self evident from its depiction in the manga at least.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Could people who have read the manga stop with the spoilers? Especially the ones without spoiler tags? :sigh:

Haha, check this out guy, the manga

gets really good later on

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This has never been about how her introduction was depicted in the manga though... cmon

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I figured it was roughly the same and I haven't watched the show

she sold herself into slavery in the manga and then it quickly became... everything else so seems pretty in line with what people are describing

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I haven't read the manga so it might well be but that's also why I'm not going into the manga thread to take people to task for having an issue with the way slavery was used as a cold open introduction for the first chapter

Just please, let's wait til the series is at least an hour long before deciding who has to die

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'll watch it tomorrow then I want blood lets do this

e: but also I take issue at saying discussing things on a discussion forum is "deciding who dies"

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 14, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Well I wouldn't exactly call the last two pages discussion but yeah watch the episode. I liked it a lot but without knowing where the rest of story goes I can definitely see Blank's point, even if it wasn't an issue for me

The Ovas do help flesh out her past some btw, poor Chise :smith: Some cute critters and a nice witch I hope shows up in the series in it though

Knorth fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 14, 2017

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Is there a manga thread for this series? Because I've done a lot of scrolling and see nothing. I figured it was for the series as a whole.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
relatively non-specific manga spoilers:
The auction is hugely relevant later for plot stuff, as is Chise's sale of herself. No idea if the show will get that far but it's not something that can just be excised out without altering anything.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

DisDisDis posted:

It contextualizes their interactions with other magicians being very wary even when they're not actively hostile, and establishes that a lot of them are hosed up and will be more hosed up. Idk I don't know how it comes off in the anime exactly but when I read the manga I was like "drat her life's pretty hosed up, oh she entered this auction to escape her hosed up extended family and also bc she's a dumb teen, oh it's good this doofy skeleton guy saved her." Does it tonally swing from this dark point to sunshine and daisies dad fun times for the rest of the story? No. It'll reengage with the dark side of the magical world plenty but it's not going to be heavily about the slave trade specifically or the two of them trying to dismantle it, it's just there as a thing (far from the only) that's hosed up but exists in magic society and a pretty great thing that skeleton dad swoops in and saves her from it. For my part I think it's pretty dumb to say if it's brought up as a plot point it then has to be immediately engaged with and said "slavery is really bad" in the same episode that fact was pretty self evident from its depiction in the manga at least.

Haha, check this out guy, the manga

gets really good later on

Would you kindly keep the manga spoilers in spoiler tags from now on though, master disdisdis.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Labes for days posted:

Is there a manga thread for this series? Because I've done a lot of scrolling and see nothing. I figured it was for the series as a whole.

Since the series is not that popular I'd figured this thread would work for both. But given some people's inability to properly spoiler tag manga stuff that may not have been the best idea...

If you can use spoiler tags feel free to discuss the manga here.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this ep felt a lot better, though the music and that montage were odd. having just skimmed over the manga again, i really like how the anime cleaned up angelica, simon, and human elias' designs. they look really nice here!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
If hearing vague things like "people die" or "it's not a deep treatise on human slavery" ruins a show for you it's not worth watching in the first place

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The second episode was pretty good, although I'm still baffled at how bad the OP is. The song's nice but the visuals aren't even trying to choreograph around it at all.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

The second episode was pretty good, although I'm still baffled at how bad the OP is. The song's nice but the visuals aren't even trying to choreograph around it at all.

It might be a placeholder.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

After the second ep the last two pages are funny now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

an actual dog posted:

It might be a placeholder.

I could see this show having an OP that changes as the plot goes on to avoid spoilers.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It feels disorienting watching this show as a non-manga reader. I don't really have a feel for what's going on and Chise doesn't really ask a lot of questions.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Is the manga pacing this weird? It feels off within the scenes as well as going between them.

The OP really is quite bad, the visuals don't match the feel of the music and there no coherency to them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't like when shows aren't making it clear that something is in a flashback.

Also Chise is right, he does look fake. :v:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

It feels disorienting watching this show as a non-manga reader. I don't really have a feel for what's going on and Chise doesn't really ask a lot of questions.

yeah the first question id ask is what the gently caress is up with the skull face and where can i get my own.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Poil posted:

I don't like when shows aren't making it clear that something is in a flashback.

Also Chise is right, he does look fake. :v:

"This is what humans look like, right?"

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

This introduction is great, I like Elias a lot

Hooray for good witch and cute critters. ...can it ...see us?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I could see this show having an OP that changes as the plot goes on to avoid spoilers.

That's unlikely cause the current OP is referencing stuff that'll be happening for the next 10-or-so episodes. I've seen mention this show might be 2-cour? In which case we'd probably get a new OP for that, but otherwise we're probably stuck with this one. I like the song but the visuals do leave a bit to be desired.

Maera Sior posted:

Is the manga pacing this weird? It feels off within the scenes as well as going between them.

If my memory can be trusted the first two episodes have been rather faithful adaptations of the first two chapters. Which would be part of the issue, not making enough changes to work now that it's animated.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's hilarious how quickly Elias went from "kinda creepy and extremely suspect" in the first episode to completely naive and lovable goofball in this one.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Genocyber posted:

That's unlikely cause the current OP is referencing stuff that'll be happening for the next 10-or-so episodes. I've seen mention this show might be 2-cour? In which case we'd probably get a new OP for that, but otherwise we're probably stuck with this one. I like the song but the visuals do leave a bit to be desired.

If my memory can be trusted the first two episodes have been rather faithful adaptations of the first two chapters. Which would be part of the issue, not making enough changes to work now that it's animated.

the show is set for 24 episodes so yeah, 2 cour. this OP seems like the sort of thing you slap in for the first handful of eps while you work on a real one, but there have been shows that never move past that point (e.g. G-Reco).

the show so far is pretty much 1:1 to the manga. some minor dialogue changes/removals this ep, and instead of having Angelica mention fine-tuning Chise's tools, they just immediately cut into that montage. that's the part that stands out most to me as awkward pacing, though the end of this episode also adapted the beginning of a separate chapter.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I actually like the first half of the OP before it just becomes a clip show. Those very first shots of Chise standing perfectly still drag on for just a little long but once she starts her little interpretive dance I think it gets pretty good

The song is cool too

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The soundtrack in general is pretty good so far.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Welp, there turned out to be about as much complaining about the premise as I was afraid there might be.

I'm not going to ask people to ppl to simply ignore the elephant, but please don't drat the show because of it. There is a lot to love about the story and the art so please give the show a fair chance.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ViggyNash posted:

Welp, there turned out to be about as much complaining about the premise as I was afraid there might be.

I'm not going to ask people to ppl to simply ignore the elephant, but please don't drat the show because of it. There is a lot to love about the story and the art so please give the show a fair chance.

The latest episode had a character gut punch him for being a creep for exactly those reasons, so I think that goes a long way in showing how it will be handled.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Yeah I watched the first ep and I don't see how anyone gets Elias is an evil slaver and the show's just brushing it off!!! from that. The manga did go more into her past life and reasons for selling herself into slavery in specifics within the first chapter though. Just by virtue of having VA I think the show does a better job of showing how out of sorts Chise feels in a truly welcoming home in subtle ways. Pretty nice first ep, the "you're gonna be my bride" cliffhanger is a lot more impactful and funny in this format for sure.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Now then, let's decide who dies.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

DisDisDis posted:

Now then, let's decide who dies.
May I be the first to say, these forums.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I don't think I'm gonna see eye to eye with some people on that first ep but I did really enjoy the second.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

dogsicle posted:

this ep felt a lot better, though the music and that montage were odd. having just skimmed over the manga again, i really like how the anime cleaned up angelica, simon, and human elias' designs. they look really nice here!

I almost thought I was listening to a shittyflute song during that montage. Like the thought briefly passed through my head but I suppressed it so I could finish the episode peacefully.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

There Bias Two posted:

I actually really enjoy this: when shows treat their audience like notidiots and don't try to handhold me though repetitive and flat exposition, and instead just be like "this is the world, here is how it is, if it's important it will be explained exactly when it has to be, come along for the ride". This show is doing this well imo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I almost thought I was listening to a shittyflute song during that montage. Like the thought briefly passed through my head but I suppressed it so I could finish the episode peacefully.

yeah some of the instruments stuck out in a way i disliked. the more intense scary stuff this episode with piano and horns seemed overdone to the point of being a parody of typical scary music. there's also the bit right near the start where it cycled through like three different tracks, each playing for just a handful of seconds and conveying totally disparate tones. i do like the goofy flute they used for Angelica's daughter, that will probably get some good mileage for lighter bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This show has good music and most importantly all the magical critters that follow Chise around constantly are even cuter when animated (especially Elias.)