Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This second ep was real good! The pacing in the last two minutes was buckwild tho, I thought we just gonna have a chill time talking to people today.

I'll probably check out the manga since I'm real curious what kinda stories this wants to tell. Big bummer there only seems to be 40 chapters tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

This second ep was real good! The pacing in the last two minutes was buckwild tho, I thought we just gonna have a chill time talking to people today.

I'll probably check out the manga since I'm real curious what kinda stories this wants to tell. Big bummer there only seems to be 40 chapters tho

iirc they're longer than your average chapter. regardless, a ton of stuff is always happening either in a plot or character/worldbuilding sense, so you get a lot out of the few chapters there are. it's a really really really great comic.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

dogsicle posted:

iirc they're longer than your average chapter. regardless, a ton of stuff is always happening either in a plot or character/worldbuilding sense, so you get a lot out of the few chapters there are. it's a really really really great comic.
monthly mangas are so good but also monthly manga for the lose

it must rule to follow a good weekly manga

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jackard posted:

May I be the first to say, these forums.
omae wa mou shindeiru

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Chapter 41 is out. As much as I love body horror this Cartaphilius poo poo is a little much for me. :stonk:

I do agree that it sucks that the chapters are monthly, but on the other hand the quality is worth waiting for them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
At least it's actually monthly and not Berserk monthly.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Labes for days posted:

Chapter 41 is out. As much as I love body horror this Cartaphilius poo poo is a little much for me. :stonk:

What I ended up wondering about :
if Elias's resolve to not be a monster is going to trigger a physical change in his normal shape; he was pulling himself back together from looking super freaky, and it kinda felt like from the dialogue at the end that this might lead to some evolution on his part since he wants to be together with Chise and can't do it with his current form/mindset

I'm actually not watching the show right now because I am super invested in what's going on in the current manga stuff and am not ready to shift back to the beginning.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Labes for days posted:

Yeah I just read that chapter and that was pretty squick. Wonder if Joseph's going to go through with the arm trade or if Elias will show up beforehand.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Knorth posted:

Hooray for good witch and cute critters. ...can it ...see us?

:wooper:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Wall of spoiler replies incoming:

I would have been fine with the arm. Whys it gotta be eyeballs. Never mind the "I'm going to mount you" beforehand just adding to the vomit factor.

Re: Elias and his physical change, I don't know if we'll see any gradual changes in his default look but I laughed real hard at the long white hair. I was expecting another emotional blowout but I wasn't expecting that.

I like that he and Cartaphilius are foils to one another, one a human turning monstrous through his own actions, the other a fae struggling to stay "human" through his. So by series' end yes, I imagine we'll see Elias looking less monstrous in his everyday body.

I'm also not watching the anime yet but that has more to do with my lovely internet than anything else.

Ed: vv The series doesn't warrant that, you can scroll through once in a while. :v:

Alien Sex Manual fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 15, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Please make a manga thread if you're going to do this.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Please make a manga thread if you're going to do this.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What do you mean it doesn't warrant it? If you're going to discuss the manga, there's no reason why you can't do it elsewhere. It's not like the forums are overflowing with so many threads these days that we have to avoid clogging up the place. Not every thread needs to be an effortpost.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Would you kindly keep the manga spoilers in spoiler tags from now on though, master disdisdis.

Genocyber posted:

Since the series is not that popular I'd figured this thread would work for both. But given some people's inability to properly spoiler tag manga stuff that may not have been the best idea...

If you can use spoiler tags feel free to discuss the manga here.

If the OP and a mod say it's for both, then I don't know why you're complaining about my three paragraphs.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if the majority of posters in the thread don't want to be dodging spoiler blocks, I'm sure that would be accommodated. this definitely seems like a case where I'd prefer the manga get a separate thread or be discussed in an existing manga genre thread

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Minor now-and-then stuff related to aired material is fine.

Discussing a new manga chapter is manga thread stuff.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Why is Ruth not in the OP?

He's in the first three episodes (Those awaiting a star) and plays a much, much larger role in the story than Silky.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I mean the recommendation in the OP is to not watch the OVAs yet, so, thanks for that.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

khy posted:

He's in the first three episodes (Those awaiting a star) and plays a much, much larger role in the story than Silky.

Because they are yet to be formerly introduced?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

khy posted:

Cause it's kind of spoilery and I figured most people wouldn't have read the manga beforehand.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Wait you're not supposed to watch the prologue? What kind of sense does that make?

:psyduck:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Jackard posted:

Wait you're not supposed to watch the prologue? What kind of sense does that make?

:psyduck:

Yea, anime is weird like that. In this case the OST was service for the manga readers, but presents things "out of order" for anime watchers.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i watched the ova before watching the series and it improved watching the series and contextualized it for me, which was probably the intent. i have not read the manga. all it spoils is there is an anime boy/dog named ruth

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

i watched the ova before watching the series and it improved watching the series and contextualized it for me, which was probably the intent. i have not read the manga. all it spoils is there is an anime boy/dog named ruth

Same. I actually found it very good for giving a look inside Chise's head.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i watched 1 and 2 then the ova, this introduces everyone except dogboy, dunno when he's going to formally show up

silky is also pretty funny for a character that never talks or resorts to gags

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Episode 3 is up. Chise gives a dragon a bellyrub.

As for the show as a whole, I just want Chise to be happy. :(

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I may have cried a little watching Episode 3.

This part with the dragons and what's coming up next were what really sold me on the manga.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mr. Fowl posted:

This part with the dragons and what's coming up next were what really sold me on the manga.

Yeah, especially the part where the old dragon tells Chise that the living should not envy the dead. :smith:

Really good episode, but yeah, I just want Chise to be happy. :smith:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Dragon grandad best grandad.

Is this the first time they mention how short a slay vega's life expectancy is?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 22, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

yeah, this upcoming cat arc is when i got really into the manga. incredibly hyped for the next couple weeks.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Uil's are my favourite dragon

What a good grandpa :kimchi:

Knorth fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 22, 2017

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

chise takes naptime very seriously

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Those aren't proper dragons. :reject:
Also not even a single maid uniform among them. Hmpf.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, especially the part where the old dragon tells Chise that the living should not envy the dead. :smith:

Really good episode, but yeah, I just want Chise to be happy. :smith:
Easy to say if you're a freaking dragon just lazily farting around all day with an ancient mage as a caretaker. :argh:

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
After poking around some Gaelic dictionaries I found out just what Sleigh Beggy/Slay Vega actually means.

It seems to be a misspelling of the Manx phrase Sleih Beggey (Slew-ah Bega) which means "little people" a euphemism for fairy, another "little people" term used is Mooinjer Veggey. Manx like other Gaelic languages can change initial consonants of words to indicate grammar, the adjective "beg" meaning "little" becomes "veg" when used with a feminine noun, and "beg" becomes "beggey" when used as a plural.

In Scots/Irish Gaelic at least the similar term "Sluagh" meaning people/host is specifically used for a Wild Hunt analogue for a Fairy Host or Spirits of the Dead depending on myth that roam about stealing the souls of the dying (or anyone they fancy), and just by saying the name can you summon them.

So Chise seems to be associated with the least fun type of fairies, and I whiled away many an hour reading about Gaelic linguistics.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not going into specifics, but if you enjoyed the darker aspects of faeries and otherworldly beings of european folklore and such, you're probably going to like this series a whole fuckin' lot

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Haven't seen the new episode yet, but I did read the first volume of the manga the other day and the content covered in this episode got me in my Weakness Zone, i really enjoyed. It looks there will be some meatier stories later on, but right now I really enjoy Chise Just Meets Nice Magic People And Feels Love

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Captain Invictus posted:

Not going into specifics, but if you enjoyed the darker aspects of faeries and otherworldly beings of european folklore and such, you're probably going to like this series a whole fuckin' lot

This is a large part of why I decided to stick with the series, because I'm a huge sucker for this kinda thing.

Funny thing, I was talking with a friend the other day and she loves the series too but basically only has eyes for Elias (and his relationship with/feelings towards Chise), and it was pretty interesting to see how we were approaching and digesting the story from totally different viewpoints.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 24, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Binge-read the manga yesterday.

It's good.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

This is a large part of why I decided to stick with the series, because I'm a huge sucker for this kinda thing.

Funny thing, I was talking with a friend the other day and she loves the series too but basically only has eyes for Elias (and his relationship with/feelings towards Chise), and it was pretty interesting to see how we were approaching and digesting the story from totally different viewpoints.

She wants to bone the hot bone daddy

and hell,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...