Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Nero Angelo posted:

Unfortunately, this isn't true. Some opponents - in particular one we'll encounter in the next mission - can detect ghosts that are set to Band 0, although their chances of doing so depends on the type of ghost. The weaker types such as Hordes and Sprites may only have a 15% chance of getting spotted if the opponent does a search in the same area, but the stronger types such as Spectres can have up to a 75% chance to get detected.

The Witches are bad at dealing with ghosts... but the rest of the opposition that'll turn up as the game progresses can very quickly wreck you if you aren't paying attention.

Huh, that's interesting. I've never actually witnessed a restless spirit, or any ghost, get noticed without using its powers, so I assumed they were just invisible, but then again, there's only one mission in which the Opponents mentioned show up and there are any restless spirits they can banish, one of which is easily obtained before they show up, another of which is in a part of the map that seems to be outside their patrol range, and a third is in a room they never seem to scan. In any case, restless spirits are generally at fairly low risk from Opponents in practice as long as you don't have them using their powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Bill only makes a return in this level if you uncover bodies like you did the first time around.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Let's talk about our new friend.

Hardboiled: Hardboiled is a pretty solid ghost, specializing in cold and blood powers, the latter being especially useful in the previous mission, as both the medium that gets called in (though can be prevented if you keep everyone from picking up the phone) and the Ghostbreaker are deathly afraid of blood. I generally just let Hardboiled rack up powers that fit that theme, since Whirlweird has wind and telekinesis covered. Of course, Hardboiled has the critical flaw of being a Poltergeist, and thus can only be bound to children. This not only makes it hard to find good fetters, but any child being used as such is immune to fear, like any possessed mortal, and this makes "scare all mortals" objectives slower and less efficient (much as I love Possess, it does slow things down). But, if you can overcome that weakness (either by finding a decent kid fetter, or by using a Gift as a substitute), Poltergeists have an excellent power:cost ratio.

So, Ghostbreakers. These guys are the only truly credible threat to your ghosts in the game. Other Opponents take long enough to banish that you can usually do something to interrupt them unless you really messed up when picking your team (plus, they take long enough to detect a ghost that you shouldn't ever be in that situation to begin with). Ghostbreakers are a different matter. If one of your ghosts uses a power on them, they'll detect it almost immediately, and there's almost no delay between them spotting a ghost and moving to banish. If you send someone out just long enough to set off one of their powers on the Ghostbreaker and immediately bench them, there's a solid chance the Ghostbreaker will be partway through the animation of unslinging their proton rifle by the time your ghost vanishes. Fortunately, once the bench command is sent, your ghost is safe, unless there's one or two vulnerable frames I'm not aware of. If you for some reason fail to bench your ghost in time (such as the camera forcibly pulling you away to watch one of the many in-mission cutscenes of dumb poo poo happening around the haunt that you don't care about), and the Ghostbreaker starts banishing, you need to act quickly and decisively. Unless you're already close to victory and they're running from everything, normal scares will not interrupt the Ghostbreaker, and they're immune to all of the subtle herding powers while banishing. You need to hit them with something that will lock them into an animation (anything that causes freeze, paralysis, electrocution, or trapping), knocks them out on the spot (like Sleep or Scared to Death), or is guaranteed to make them start fleeing (such as Human Torch). You also need to act fast, you have barely enough time to try one thing before your ghost is banished (maybe a few things if you already have everyone at the right plasm bands and just bind all of them in quick succession, heck, if you just swarm them with normal scares, that might get them running, too, but I wouldn't chance it, especially given that you'd need to have a lot of fetters).

However, with effective hit-and-run tactics, you can beat the Ghostbreakers without casualties, and because they're defined, recurring characters, once you learn their fears, you can be rid of them in record time. For example, Laurence Murray is a germophobe writ large, use Unclean and Blood powers and he'll bail. Once we meet the other Ghostbreakers, I'll go into their fears, too, since you really want to run them out of the haunt whenever they show up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Sometimes the AI messes up, and things that SHOULD get a reaction from banishers doesn't actually trigger until they've finished banishing, meaning you have no way to save a ghost if they start getting attacked. It's definitely not something to rely on, and it's essential to do hit-and-run tactics unless you're raising their terror enough that they will spend more time freaking out than hunting down your ghosts.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
In retrospect, the ghostbuster clones feel like an incredibly lazy choice for the primary opponents.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Klaus88 posted:

In retrospect, the ghostbuster clones feel like an incredibly lazy choice for the primary opponents.

You'll soon see that they are not just Ghostbuster clones.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Since Hard Boiled is our only new ghost, I'm not gonna bother with the standard lore format for this one: Hardboiled's long term goal is to take revenge on the mysterious mortal known only as 'the Colonel' who is obviously meant to be Colonel Sanders.

And yes, the Ghostbreakers are the Opponents Eclectic and I have been hinting at since Part 7.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The door that the Ghostbreakers and Dr. Brunner enter the map through? Yeah, that kept not opening, causing them to run around stuck outside the door. Eventually they would phase into the hospital one at a time, which makes the level much easier, but not so great when you're trying to make a video showing them off as part of the level.

I've been trying to get a video out no later than 3 days, but this weekend is gonna be pretty busy for me so we'll see what happens.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Jesus, this mission is a massive pain in the rear end if you're not sure what to do. Now, it's tempting to try to get the restless spirits without triggering the Ghostbreakers' appearance, but that's a long, boring, nigh-impossible process that wastes a ton of plasm. Instead, you're best just scaring that little motherfucker off so he never touches the bunny again, precision striking the Ghostbreakers (being careful not to hit Dr. Seth with anything too powerful or scaring off too many people), waiting for someone to bring the bunny to Dowd (Jamesman got phenomenally lucky, that rabbit can end up sitting in the bathroom for upwards of twenty minutes, or end up with Dr. Seth, who never seems to enter Harriet's room but who does patrol right past that bathroom very frequently), then finally emptying the hospital of all life except Dr. Seth and the lady in the basement (getting Seth possessed or sleepwalking will keep him safe while you do this), so he tries to mack on her and Brigit can finally destroy him. gently caress Phantom of the Operating Room, I might be able to finish the mission in a timely fashion now, but I will never forget sitting there for hours using Hidden Maze and Fascinate/Obsession/Insane Invitation to try dragging the doc in myself (which does work, eventually). Anyway, ghosts!

Daydreamer: The other Sandman is generally better if your goal is to spread madness and belief, as he has Unearthly Calm, which makes mortals temporarily immune to fear. Not to step on Chimera's toes, but if you wake him with Weatherwitch (this requires giving her sound powers as I don't think Thunderclap is loud enough, so I don't advise it), he'll make mention of her being a former co-worker. Beyond that, I find him better, aesthetically, than Hypnos, and I prefer Unearthly Calm to Dream Demon, so he's the Sandman I favor.

Brigit: The last Banshee, and bit of an odd one. She's actually the best of the three at scaring mortals, but lacks their focus on specific kinds of powers. Most notable about her is that she's our first ghost with Phobia. Every ghost that can have Phobia has a different version of it, but they all force the targeted mortal to gain a new fear. In Brigit's case, the fear is, unsurprisingly, noise. This makes the noise powers she does have all the more effective. Her Voice on the Wind power is a bit situational compared to other high-band noise powers like Cacophony, but when used properly and in conjunction with Phobia, can be very powerful. Personally, I still prefer Weatherwitch for her utility, but I'd take Brigit over Moonscream.

Tricksters: Our first class of ghost with access to the tenth power band, Tricksters are a lot like Fetches, as their Shapeshift power is basically Clone without the attendant unconsciousness and different negative effects when the copied mortal spies the imposter. Tricksters can manipulate mortals quite well, having access to Fool's Errand, Wild Geese, Intrigue, and Fascinate, though they can take plant powers instead to focus more on minor area scares, as well as toss weird luck around. They've also got access to both Gift powers, and their ultimate power, Abhorrent Aspect, is Loathsome Aspect's bigger, meaner, brother, allowing a Shapeshifted Trickster to freak out large groups of mortals with little effort. Their Outside fetter makes them a lot easier to use than Fetches, and with Shapeshift, they don't need to stay bound to any Child you decide to use if the mortals don't want to go out. One other thing, Opponents don't have as easy a time spotting a shapeshifted trickster as they do a Fetch using Clone. It's still pretty unsafe, obviously, but there's a noticeable difference in how quickly the orange exclamation mark appears. Oh, and it may be worth knowing that while it's a lot of fun, Abhorrent Aspect costs a ton of plasm due to Tricksters being a class of Frightener, and you're likely going to prioritize other ghosts' powers first just because they're your primary scare machines, so you may not see Abhorrent Aspect until you've already basically won. Even so, you should always have a Trickster on-hand if you expect to be doing a lot of outdoor scaring, just for the raw utility they bring to the table.

Harriet: Harriet, based on Harvey (note the name of the kid she's bound to), is the more benign of the two Tricksters based on her initial power set, and I tend to lean into that, taking Luckstorm instead of Loathsome Aspect, and focusing on Intrigue/Fascinate. However, I take Creepers over Wild Geese to fit in better with her Flower Power, and because the other one has Fool's Errand, so it felt more fitting to stick Wild Geese over there. Besides, with the build I've got, Harriet's only scares are Creepers and Abhorrent Aspect. That's Harriet's big weakness (and that of several other ghosts), is she's caught in the Catch-22 of either ending up too samey, or being kind of underpowered. That said, with a little creativity, her wealth of utility powers can come in handy (for example, spawning a gift and then immediately using her other powers to draw in a mortal to pick it up).

As for the two new Ghostbreakers, Maureen Ramis is afraid of being hunted and being trapped, the latter being such a critical weakness that the strongest trap power (that we have not yet seen) can wipe her out in a single hit. She tends to take longer to break and run than Murray, but that may be a function of high willpower and low-ish belief. Raymond Akroyd is the weak link of the three, his willpower and belief are such that it doesn't take much to make him panic. His fears are blood and being hunted, and while Buck can do some solid hunted fear with Chase, we'll meet a ghost in the near future who can deal with Akroyd in a matter of seconds. Despite being middle-of-the-road in terms of how easy to scare he is, Laurence Murray is probably the toughest Ghostbreaker to eliminate, simply because the powers that his fears are based on have lower base fear attached, so they don't multiply into an instant KO (aside from the literal KO of Choking Odor, which does spike his willpower).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This mission.

I couldn't complete it in less than two hours on my first playthrough, it was fun but frustrating and finally taught me how to chain targeted scares to get rid of someone as quickly as possible.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

This mission.

I couldn't complete it in less than two hours on my first playthrough, it was fun but frustrating and finally taught me how to chain targeted scares to get rid of someone as quickly as possible.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give for eliminating people quickly is to point out that when mortals are terrified, they run outside to catch their breath, the only way in and out of the hospital is home to not one, but two electrical fetters, and Surge lasts a long drat time, relatively speaking. It's always satisfying to watch people ram their faces into Surge like an invisible bug zapper.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I figured that out, my solution was to make the outside as miserable as possible since they run all the way to the exit and a tempest is pretty miserable all around. I just couldn't remember who had gore or I would've made that a really fun trip!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

Not to step on Chimera's toes, but if you wake him with Weatherwitch (this requires giving her sound powers as I don't think Thunderclap is loud enough, so I don't advise it), he'll make mention of her being a former co-worker.

Thunderclap does in fact work for this as I looked up a video to find this piece of dialogue. In fact, that's actually a nice segue since I'm gonna go into the ramifications of his comment now:
  • Disturbances
    • Sandmen
      • Daydreamer: It's implied that he died the 19th century do to his clothing and the cause of his death. And how he die you may ask? He was medically administered chloroform by a distracted anesthetist during his heart attack. The fact he has worked with Weatherwitch before implies that she has been dead for at least that long as well which would make sense given how she's dressed.
  • Frighteners
    • Tricksters: Tricksters are nature spirits in the form of anthropomorphic animals and are similar to cartoons in both appearance and behavior.
      • Harriet: Harriet is a pookah which is rare form of spirit which has a genuine love of mortals and as such loves making friends with them. Unfortunately, she doesn't understand that mortals she befriends tend to eventually go insane and get sent to the asylum.
I'm going skip Brigit since like several ghosts we've covered before, she is pretty straightforward in terms of lore and basically tells you everything you need to know about her.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 12, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I figured that out, my solution was to make the outside as miserable as possible since they run all the way to the exit and a tempest is pretty miserable all around. I just couldn't remember who had gore or I would've made that a really fun trip!

Water Elementals, Quiver, and Hardboiled. I don't recall there being any water fetters on the hospital lawn, is the thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The better the fetter the more I an get 'er
The more I can get 'er the more I can fret 'er
The more I can fret 'er the better the fetter
The better the fetter the more I can HAUNT!

Tune of The Bigger the Figure

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I just adore this game, not sure if the files even exist still but there was a decent modding scene for this back in the day, think it even unlocked some cut ghosts and levels?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I remember my game came with an extra ghost, some kind of nosferatu or sasquatch lookalike. Edit as apparently he's still in. :D

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 28, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Nalesh posted:

I just adore this game, not sure if the files even exist still but there was a decent modding scene for this back in the day, think it even unlocked some cut ghosts and levels?

Ask and ye shall receive!

The mod I'd consider most essential for fully enjoying the game is, as previously mentioned, the "all ghosts" mod, which just unlocks your entire roster when replaying previous missions. It's the only way most of the later ghosts will ever be particularly useful, since they'd otherwise only be usable in the last couple of missions. Though, there's still the issue of restless spirits getting reset in replays due to the scoring system. I'd have preferred it if they gave you an option to disable restless spirits, score be damned, so you could really just dig into a mission with the team of your choice.

Avalerion posted:

I remember my game came with an extra ghost, some kind of nosferatu or sasquatch lookalike.

:ssh:

You just got it early as a pre-order bonus, we'll see that one later on.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm not sure if someone brought it up, but it's less than a dollar on Steam right now - 81 cents with tax least where I'm located at, so it's just trivially cheap to pick up if you're interested in it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

I'm not sure if someone brought it up, but it's less than a dollar on Steam right now - 81 cents with tax least where I'm located at, so it's just trivially cheap to pick up if you're interested in it.

It's 74 cents for most of the US (because Steam is untaxed in states in which Valve has no physical presence due to how sales tax laws work*), and it's five bucks even when off sale, so it's never a major purchase. That's one benefit of going almost completely unnoticed by the general public.

*Technically, you're supposed to declare your Steam purchases and pay up when filing state taxes if you're in an untaxed area, which is something I'm sure everyone totally does even though state governments could not hope to even begin to enforce it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Robindaybird posted:

Good call. Decided to check GOG because of this, and it's also on sale there for $1.49 for their Halloween sale.

Since puzzle solving can be the main focus of the game, I understand if people feel like it's not worth buying since you've basically seen all the answers for each level already. But if you think you'd enjoy replaying levels to get the best possible score or loving around with mods, it's totally worth getting for these prices.

Edit: Ugh this is EXACTLY what I was talking about in the intro. All these game sales. So.... inviting...

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 29, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Good call. Decided to check GOG because of this, and it's also on sale there for $1.49 for their Halloween sale.

Since puzzle solving can be the main focus of the game, I understand if people feel like it's not worth buying since you've basically seen all the answers for each level already. But if you think you'd enjoy replaying levels to get the best possible score or loving around with mods, it's totally worth getting for these prices.

Ghost Master can also provide quite bit of enjoyment once you're able to experiment freely with your teams. Since you can ignore the restless spirits in replays, you're free to just go bananas all over the mortals. I personally enjoy taking a variety of teams into Phantom of the Operating room to see how quickly/easily I can empty out the hospital.

If you want to maximize your options once you've completed the game, there's a save editor that's fairly easy to both find and use, and you can just give yourself as much gold plasm as you want, to fully customize your team. This is why my analyses tend to take a more broad view of a ghost's power set rather than focusing on the powers they come with initially, I've kind of forgotten how they feel to play with before they're full of all their powers.

By the way, this is a very small thing, but when you first start the game, and the kids performing the seance ask if there's anyone there, go ahead and tell them "no" for a rather amusing beat. I mean, I thought the comedic timing was perfect for something so simple.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It could have been worse.

The rabbit could have had the proportions of the policewomen

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The next game I'm hoping to do will be a point-and-click adventure game, blind. Hopefully you will enjoy seeing my thought process in solving ridiculous puzzles.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I vaguely remember there being a puzzle where you can lead the npcs to an axe. Is there one on this level? If so they might fell the tree themselves with it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The axe is on the other side of the ravine.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Avalerion posted:

I vaguely remember there being a puzzle where you can lead the npcs to an axe. Is there one on this level? If so they might fell the tree themselves with it.

I saw one of the idiots in Summoners Not Included picking up the axe during the search for the key, I wonder if that was meant as alternative to open the trap door if for some reason they never check the outhouse.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alright, couple new ghosts here, let's talk about them.

Sparkle: The other Fire Elemental leans much more heavily towards electrical powers, in terms of his defaults. If you go with it, you end up with a ghost that's very much like Electrospasm, in that he has a lot of electrical powers, but also a few really solid scares (in Sparkle's case, fire-based). The use case for Sparkle is, therefore, pretty much the same as that of a Wraith, for when you need a puzzle solved, but want someone that packs a bigger punch than a Gremlin, or else just want to exploit electrical fetters to the fullest. Much as I like the Wraiths, I'm forced to concede that Sparkle's lower cost makes it a better choice in many situations, but he doesn't look as cool, so there's that.

Wisps: As there's only one Wisp, a class breakdown would be redundant, but know that this is the lowest class of ghost in the game, with only access to the fifth plasm band at most. They can be fettered anywhere outside.

Blair Wisp: This jolly fellow exists purely to be a lure. Hypnotic Image is a powerful lure, though dependent on line of sight in a way that most others are not. He can also learn Intrigue, which you should definitely go for if you want to use him. His other tools are Fluster, Strange Vision, and Delusion, all decent enough tools, but overall, he's the weakest, cheapest ghost in your arsenal. He's very useful if you need a lure on the cheap, but if you need literally anything else, or need a lure that can be placed indoors, he's not the ghost for you.

Shadows: The Darkling hasn't technically joined us yet, but now that he's been playable, I can discuss his mechanics because they've already been on-screen. Being limited to Murder fetters is a bit rough, but considering that Shadows are apparently the bigger, meaner, nastier cousins of Apparitions, it fits. Interestingly, they're classified as Frighteners rather than Horrors, so they're not quite as expensive as some supposedly "lesser" ghosts.

The Darkling: In many ways, The Darkling is extremely powerful, but for all the pomp and circumstance the narrator gives you, it's just another ghost, just with a fairly efficient box of tools. It has three things it does: cold, madness, and lures. Between Mania, Obsession, and Psychotic Rage, it can drive people nuts faster than nearly any other ghost, but with Terrorize and Frozen Stiff, it can also lay down some solid scares, making it one of your better haunters, though not the fastest by a long shot. Of the three plasm bands that aren't unlocked, there's actually nothing too exciting aside from the fact that it can learn Hidden Maze, reinforcing its image as an Apparition on steroids. Also, that so many of its powers are unlocked by default may be why it's seen as so powerful. Once all your other ghosts are trained up, The Darkling fades into the background a bit, but out of the box, it's pretty overpowering. The biggest weaknesses for The Darkling are that it's a bit boring, and that it has the absolute dead-last worst availability in the entire game, and the few missions in which it's available, it is not very well suited for (due to a lack of well-placed Murder fetters, a need to eliminate mortals very quickly, or being trapped in a basement in one of the largest maps in the entire game), so it's basically rendered useless without a mod.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Lore time again:
  • Sprites
    • Wisps: Wisps are based off of will o' the wisps; strange balls of light said to appear at night to lure travelers off the road and into swamps or graveyards. This behavior is explained in GM of being because wisps derive pleasure from being looked at and watched by mortal eyes. Blair Wisp does not have any unique lore pertaining to him though his profile does mention that it is very hard to sneak up on a Wisp but can, however, be incapacitated by a really hard stare.
  • Elementals
    • Fire
      • Sparkle: Sparkle is stated to have an insatiable appetite, a common characteristic of fire elemental. He considers fire to be a delicacy and traveled extensively in his youth. He was also at least partially responsible for the Great Fire of London in 1666 which he has fond memories of, regarding it as a buffet.
  • Frighteners
    • Shadows: Spirits of killing and murder.
      • The Darkling: Is stated to be a creature formed from the sticky darkness that gathers in the forgotten corners of the human soul and has been trapped in a nether world for centuries. He knows only hunger because of this.

Nero Angelo
Jun 19, 2011
The chasm is the hard part of this map and according to the guide, you only have three options to fell the tree and create the bridge.

The first and easiest method is to use quake, whilst the remaining two involve combining weather powers using two or more ghosts. By using various combinations of Gather Winds, Rain, Gusts, Tempest or Typhoon, you can create either hurricane force winds or a thunderstorm, both of which will do the job via high winds or a lightning strike respectively.

If you can't pull off any of these methods... well, tough luck.

Oh, and don't worry about waking Bruce up. The Darkling pretty much ate most of his soul, so he's permanently incapacitated. You can hit him with anything you have to generate some easy plasm and he won't go anywhere.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's an upcoming mission that really, really sucks. It a basic "scare everyone" mission, but it's proving to be exceptionally long and boring. I'm trying to figure out how to make it worthwhile, but really, I could just cut the whole thing to be a 5-minute video and you would get the same information from it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Jamesman posted:

There's an upcoming mission that really, really sucks. It a basic "scare everyone" mission, but it's proving to be exceptionally long and boring. I'm trying to figure out how to make it worthwhile, but really, I could just cut the whole thing to be a 5-minute video and you would get the same information from it.

If you think it would be worth your while, you could do a "Cut" and "Uncut" version, and to fill in air space with the uncut one, just talk about anything about the game, not just the level in particular. The Cut version would just be the highlights of the mission, or even on fast-forward.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

If you think it would be worth your while, you could do a "Cut" and "Uncut" version, and to fill in air space with the uncut one, just talk about anything about the game, not just the level in particular. The Cut version would just be the highlights of the mission, or even on fast-forward.

I don't think it would be worth anyone's while to see a long, drawn-out mission of be picking people off for an hour. I have no idea what information I could even come up with to fill that much time for a mission.

The good news is I am trying different strategies to see if I can get my time down, and I just managed a 25-minute run which is about twice as fast as my previous attempts, so I think I'm honing in on a method here.

The bad news is 25 minutes is the cutoff for getting 1 pumpkin, which means they expect you to complete this level even faster, and I'm just really struggling to figure out what they want from me.

I'll keep trying different things in the meantime. I've got a couple levels to post before I have to worry about this one, so I'll put in the time to practice it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I really wish they didn't use Time as a rank modifier, as the AI often just refuse to do what you want - I think the majority of my hour-long play of Phantom of the Operating Room is due to that loving rabbit. I could've try to grab Harriet on a replay, but I really didn't want to do it again.

Nothing is more frustrating than knowing what to do, setting it up and the AI just going 'lol nope' - even plasma up Whisperwind to have Siren Song and bind him to the air tank in the ward Harriet's in to try to speed up the process.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Carter's phobia makes sense when you read the epitaphs and realize Buck was Carter's dog. I think it's meant to to encourage the player to use them together.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

Carter's phobia makes sense when you read the epitaphs and realize Buck was Carter's dog. I think it's meant to to encourage the player to use them together.

I was going to cover this myself but there is more lore where it came from so I may as well get onto it even though EclecticTastes hasn't done his post yet:
  • Sprites
    • Hordes
      • Scarecrow: As you may have guessed by its dialogue, Scarecrow is actually a murder of crows out to take revenge upon its persecutors by assuming the face of what it fears most.
  • Disturbances
    • Fetches
      • Lady Rose: Stated to be a very cultured Fetch that refuses to reveal the details of her sordid past do to her high regard for etiquette. Might be based on Bloody Mary.
  • Vapours
    • Thunder spirits: These beings preside over weather, especially thunder and lightning.
      • Stormtalon: This guy is highly regarded by mortals but has a very low opinion of them and utterly loathes technology, seeing it as a petty attempt to emulate his power.
  • Frighteners
    • Phantoms
      • The Painter: Is implied to not have been a very talented or skilled artist. Hung himself do to people not wanting to hang his paintings. Was originally going to be sealed in a painting he made that hangs on the wall of the second floor hallway of the Hutz household but this was cut.
    • Wights: Based on the mythology of barrow-wights or draugr, these spirits act as guardians of places and especially their own burial sites. Sadly, Black Crow is pretty self-explanatory and doesn't have much lore to him beyond what he tells us in the level.
  • Horrors
    • Spectres
      • Carter: As Robindaybird already mentioned, he is Buck's late owner who was hinted at before in Buck's profile. He seems to have lived in the 19th century given his sleeping clothes and the candlestick he's holding and in life was apparently a very ruthless businessman. He and his dog were actually going to be unlocked in their own mission which was set in Carter's mansion before said mission was cut.
    • Headless Horsemen: While the narrator admits to the rarity of this type of ghost because of how specific the requirements to become one are, there was another headless horseman planned to appear in the game. A biker named Azrael was going to appear with his "horse" being a demonic motorcycle.
      • The Dragoon: Was a mercenary dragoon that ravaged the area during the Civil War before a band of farmers blew off his head with a musket.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 16, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's an interesting solution. I just possessed the observer with Black Crow.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Precisely right, Carter and Buck were originally meant to be restless spirits in a mission together, set in Carter's mansion, but like many things in the game, it never materialized (there was also a planned second Headless Horseman among the handful of unused ghosts). Anyway, on to the overview. Spooky Hollow provides some of the best ghosts for the endgame missions, so it's best to do it first out of the Act 3 missions.

Carter: Carter is very similar to Knuckles and Ghastly, aside from being able to learn a Phobia that lets him pair well with your indoor Hordes. However, taking Phobia means not taking Possess, so I don't recommend it. Honestly, by this point, if you've liked Spectres enough to use them regularly, you've probably gotten Knuckles developed to a better point that Carter by now, and if you haven't, well, sadly, Spectres just don't bring much to the table besides scares, and in most missions, that's not enough to justify the use of a roster slot, not to mention their massive plasm costs. Arclight is a lot cheaper and does basically the same job with the added benefit of being able to solve fire and heat puzzles in the rare event they show up.

Lady Rose: Lady Rose can forgo Ethereal Gift for Thing in the Mirror, a medium-level mirror scare unique to her due to Tricia's locked-in fourth plasm band. For the sake of differentiation, that's what I recommend, as well as generally having her specialize in her powers that don't involve Clone. A wandering Fetch like Tricia is often better for keeping the hits coming, but mortals always have to use the bathroom eventually, so having Lady Rose waiting for them isn't the worst strategy.

The Painter: Utilized properly, The Painter can be the most powerful of your Phantoms, though he's not quite as easy to use as Shivers. He has access to every stench power in the game, as well as a Phobia that causes fear of the unclean, which can gradually lead to every mortal on the map being terrified of his abilities (not to mention Laurence Murray of the Ghostbreakers already possessing that fear). He takes a bit of work and gold plasm, but he has a lot of potential.

Scarecrow: Scarecrow would likely be the best Horde overall, except they're limited to outdoor fetters, and only appear late in the game. Still, they have a variety of great powers, and are the only horde with Brief Scare, which has a neat animation. They cause Hunted fear rather than Creepy-Crawly, which will sometimes affect your strategy (of note, Scarecrow works much better against the Ghostbreakers if you can get them outside, due to two of them having compatible Fears). There's one mission coming up that has a heavy emphasis on outdoor activity, so Scarecrow has an opportunity to shine, despite its low availability.

Wights: Like the Blair Wisp, you only get one of these, so I'll save the details, but these guys can be bound to Earth and Corpse fetters, and many outdoor patches are Earth, and they're basically a cross between Earth Elementals and Phantoms (fitting, as they're a class of Frightener).

Black Crow: Black Crow is one of the best haunters in the game, or at least the endgame in which he's available. Ignore his various stench powers he can learn, the other choices are as good or better and, frankly, they're more dignified, I think Black Crow's been through enough indignity without being made a stinkghost. More than that, though, he has access to one of the hands-down most powerful scares in the game: Buried Alive. It's so powerful that, due to being a trap power, it will eliminate Maureen Ramis in a single hit. Those that aren't immediately ejected from the map will still suffer quite a bit of terror and madness after experiencing Swallow's big brother. All told, Black Crow is best used as a replacement for Stonewall and Bonsai who can hit a hell of a lot harder. Oh, and he has Possess, in case he wasn't powerful enough. Honestly, Buried Alive on its own is enough to recommend this guy.

Thunder Spirits: This class of Vapor has only one member, who can be fettered anywhere outside or to electrical fetters, making it one of the easiest-to-bind ghosts that's also useful in the entire game, which is nice, given that it's also one of the best ghosts overall.

Stormtalon: Of the remaining missions in the game, there is only one in which Stormtalon is not an excellent choice for the team, and even there, he's a decent choice. He comes with access to an array of weather powers comparable to Weatherwitch, but also Surge and Blackout, the two best electrical powers (plus Cut Lights at the first band, which is always nice but you should never be binding anything above an Elemental for just their first-band powers outside of specific circumstances). Given that he's working with the same cost scaling as Banshees, there's no reason not to use him whenever you need a ghost outside. He's most notable for being the only ghost capable of using Blackout from wherever the hell you want on the map, which can be very useful if you're trying to keep him safe from Opponents (and using map-wide weather powers against mortals with weather-related fears is similarly cheap, effective, and safe, just make sure there's a ghost ready to discourage them from going inside). Sadly, Stormtalon is the final nail in the coffin for your Wraiths, there's really no reason to use them outside of personal preference once you have your Thor Eagle. Go for Haunted Hail over Wild & Crazy if you train him for that band, it works in more situations, and I've never found Wild & Crazy to be that effective in general.

Headless Horsemen: This class of Horror is one of the hardest ghosts to use, but one of the most rewarding in situations where you manage it. Their fetter is officially listed as Thoroughfare, but the game neglects to mention that they must also be outdoors, making this the only class with a secondary fetter restriction.

Dragoon: Dragoon is useful in exactly one mission from here to the end of the game (well, actually you can make good use of him in one other mission, but it takes a lot more effort), but in that one mission, he excels enough that you can kind of forgive it. But first, let's talk about how Headless Horsemen work, because as you might have seen in the previous video, it's a little weird. They automatically roam, regardless of orders, traversing the entire length of whatever pathway they've been set on, and should they reach a dead end, they'll open a spectral portal and vanish for a bit before reappearing elsewhere to resume their ride. They can slow down or even stop when using powers, so don't worry about them only getting glancing blows in, but you should always set them to either only use powers around mortals, or pick on someone specific (the latter being the Headless Horseman's specialty). Dragoon's strength is, naturally, in chasing down a target. He has access to a Hunted Phobia power, which softens his prey, and then he can finish them with Deadly Chase, the big brother of the original Chase power and another of the game's best scares. Due to his outdoor nature, Dragoon makes a natural partner for Scarecrow, a Deadly Chase into Scarecrow's Legion after being hit with Phobia is another good way to take out a mortal almost instantly (Raymond Akroyd, already deathly afraid of being hunted, can be wiped out with just Dragoon, with no real chance of a counterattack, while Maureen Ramis' weaker fear of the same can at least be exploited to get her running, preferably towards Black Crow). On top of all that, Dragoon also offers you a choice of secondary specialization, either flame powers, or madness, and while fire is always nice, I tend to prefer madness, just because so few ghosts are really good at it. If he weren't so limited in his fetters, he'd be right up there with Black Crow and Stormtalon as one of the top ghosts in the game. As-is, he's still pretty great when you can use him, and you'll end up wishing there were more maps that catered to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's kind of hilarious in my observation playing that Nausea bar done is the best room/floor clearing power - the mortals seem to be more terrified about getting sick than being set on fire, shocked, or puppeted.

• Locked thread