Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

All I can guess for dreamcatcher being broken by shattering song is maybe the decorative beads are made of glass, thus ruining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm not sure if someone brought it up, but it's less than a dollar on Steam right now - 81 cents with tax least where I'm located at, so it's just trivially cheap to pick up if you're interested in it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Avalerion posted:

I vaguely remember there being a puzzle where you can lead the npcs to an axe. Is there one on this level? If so they might fell the tree themselves with it.

I saw one of the idiots in Summoners Not Included picking up the axe during the search for the key, I wonder if that was meant as alternative to open the trap door if for some reason they never check the outhouse.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I really wish they didn't use Time as a rank modifier, as the AI often just refuse to do what you want - I think the majority of my hour-long play of Phantom of the Operating Room is due to that loving rabbit. I could've try to grab Harriet on a replay, but I really didn't want to do it again.

Nothing is more frustrating than knowing what to do, setting it up and the AI just going 'lol nope' - even plasma up Whisperwind to have Siren Song and bind him to the air tank in the ward Harriet's in to try to speed up the process.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Carter's phobia makes sense when you read the epitaphs and realize Buck was Carter's dog. I think it's meant to to encourage the player to use them together.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's kind of hilarious in my observation playing that Nausea bar done is the best room/floor clearing power - the mortals seem to be more terrified about getting sick than being set on fire, shocked, or puppeted.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I actually found you could possess Father Mulcahy, which completely nullifies him as a threat - which while it's a hilarious and neat touch, it completely eliminates any challenge beyond herding all the mortals to scare them.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 13, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Overall, I'd say this is fun but flawed game that would've benefited from more polish. The mortal AI I think needs some tweaks for missions that doesn't require scaring them off so herding them isn't such an exercise in frustration - I could NOT get them to cross the lake in Blair Wisp Project despite doing the exact same thing as Jamesman did - and getting them to bring items to specific areas is largely luck based.

The other issue is the way cutscenes are handled, I had a ghost get exorcised due to a cutscene of someone picking up a present for X time played during a bad time, and if multiple events that'd create a cutscene happen, one gets overridden, so you can end up missing critical information.

However, I think the biggest downside is the sheer cost of upgrading ghosts and the limit they placed on bringing ghosts back in replays without a mod, which encourages the player to stick with a core group of ghosts they've been playing with only bringing out other ghosts to fulfill specific puzzles, instead of experimenting.

The Class of Spook'em High is an interesting puzzle, but I'm honestly not a fan of how it's set up.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, it wasn't the planned final level as I mentioned in my own post and originally there wasn't a true final level for a long time.

yeah, I'm glad they did try to give the game a proper closure, as the original ending as is just leaves it hanging.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's definitely a tough balance between making puzzles too easy and making it seem roughly too luck-oriented, especially when you're graded on time, and sometimes - the AI is just absolutely not cooperative, I feel like tying the Plasma gain to all the ways you can scare/disturb/madden mortals is better than time - which also encourages either the players to go completely hogwild on the mortals, or reward a more methodical 'pick 'em off one by one and drive them insane' gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

EclecticTastes posted:

It really depends on operating system, I didn't have any trouble getting it to run on Windows 7, but it seems that 10 breaks a lot of older games.

while I had little issue running it on 10, but I can't get it to run in Windowed mode no matter what I try, but I was a bit worried that I couldn't run it.

• Locked thread