Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nero Angelo
Jun 19, 2011
Here's a fun fact for you.

You can actually wind up encountering the Student Witches prior to this mission. Play your cards right and the trio can turn up in 'The Calamityville Horror', the mission Jamesman did directly after the tutorial level.

You're unlikely to have it happen, but if you play in such a way that Marcia Hutz has her Belief rise high enough and both her parents still have a low level of Belief, she'll beeline for the phone and the Witches will turn up shortly after she makes the call.

Fortunately, the Witches are pretty terrible at being an effective opposition. They have trouble zeroing in on a ghost using it's powers in the same room as them, let alone detecting it if they're a few rooms away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nero Angelo
Jun 19, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

This is something I was not aware of, and a pretty obscure easter egg! Though that does give me an excuse to discuss Opponents.

The only reason that I know about it is because I have the official strategy guide. If you can find a copy, I'd recommend it. It's amazing just how complex the game is in some of it's mechanics.

EclecticTastes posted:

As long as their plasm bands are at zero, your ghosts are effectively invisible (thus protecting restless spirits as long as you don't try to utilize their powers), but any of them with their powers enabled could be detected, based on what powers they're using and what type they are (even when they're not cloning, Fetches seem to get detected more easily than other ghost types, in my experience).

Unfortunately, this isn't true. Some opponents - in particular one we'll encounter in the next mission - can detect ghosts that are set to Band 0, although their chances of doing so depends on the type of ghost. The weaker types such as Hordes and Sprites may only have a 15% chance of getting spotted if the opponent does a search in the same area, but the stronger types such as Spectres can have up to a 75% chance to get detected.

The Witches are bad at dealing with ghosts... but the rest of the opposition that'll turn up as the game progresses can very quickly wreck you if you aren't paying attention.

Nero Angelo fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 23, 2017

Nero Angelo
Jun 19, 2011
The chasm is the hard part of this map and according to the guide, you only have three options to fell the tree and create the bridge.

The first and easiest method is to use quake, whilst the remaining two involve combining weather powers using two or more ghosts. By using various combinations of Gather Winds, Rain, Gusts, Tempest or Typhoon, you can create either hurricane force winds or a thunderstorm, both of which will do the job via high winds or a lightning strike respectively.

If you can't pull off any of these methods... well, tough luck.

Oh, and don't worry about waking Bruce up. The Darkling pretty much ate most of his soul, so he's permanently incapacitated. You can hit him with anything you have to generate some easy plasm and he won't go anywhere.

Nero Angelo
Jun 19, 2011
In many ways Father Mulcahy is probably the most dangerous opponent in the game. He's great at spotting ghosts that are using powers and he can actually banish several types of weaker ghosts instantly, leaving you no time to save them.

Fortunately, the size of the map pretty much kills any effectiveness he has. When he spots a ghost, he's usually so far away that he'll get distracted by something else before getting there or you'll have moved the ghost on by the time he arrives.

Nero Angelo
Jun 19, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Heh, every single victim in this mission is a reference to M.A.S.H.

Most of them are, but not all.

Private Goldie Benjamin and Private Mary Glass are both references to the film 'Private Benjamin'.

Sergeant Major Windsor Williams is a reference to the bombastic Windsor Davies who played Battery Sergeant Major Williams in the old sitcom 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum'.

There are a few other names in the list that I don't recognise from M.A.S.H., but I'm afraid that I'm far too lazy to go hunting to see where they're from.

Edit: Not that lazy, apparently. Gunnery Sergeant Ermey is a reference to Ronald Lee Ermey, who played Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in 'Full Metal Jacket'.

Nero Angelo fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nero Angelo
Jun 19, 2011
I remember having to do a bit of fiddling to get it up and running on Windows 7 myself, but it wasn't that much of a hassle.

Anyway, thanks for doing this Let's Play. Ghost Master has its problems, but it's a fun game and I really enjoyed watching you terrorise your way through Gravenville.

• Locked thread