Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

KhediveRex posted:

He's just hanging out there in the wind. It's really not a defensible position.
I love reading newbie-avatar posts in Trump's voice. This is a particularly good one for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
Yeah, i'd guess no message. This is a fairly common opening, you see it constantly. Which makes it equally hard to try and find a master-level game where this was played because, there are countless. If it's an allusion to one in particular it's like digging in a haystack.

Although probably not with that king set up ... that might be the trick.

If anyone feels like googling the turn that's weird would have been-

5. 0-0. Ke7.

It could theoretically have been done on their 4th turns but, they're on turn 6 and the king action seemed like it happened just last turn. More likely 5th turn.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

KhediveRex posted:

The Four Knights opening. Relatively equal position when played ideally but, in this circumstance, odds strongly favor white who has already castled.

Personally I'd play Nc3-d5, check. Black takes d5 with Nf6. You recapture with the E pawn. Black has to retreat his knight, white takes blacks E pawn. The exchange ends with white a point ahead and mostly in control of the center.

We should discuss though that this position is technically impossible. Black has taken one more move than white. That will never happen.

*Edit*

Oh! Oh! Never mind, my bad. Same number of moves, White's turn. I got so caught up in that king on the seventh rank I forgot to count the castled king castling as a move. Everything's good. Except that King on the seventh rank. Nothing was threatening him on his home square. Moving forward would have been one of the worst notions for that peice. Considering he already put in all the effort to clear his casting line.

*Edit Edit*

When the two bishops are brought to the center like that it's the Giuoco Piano variant of the Four Knights Game. Apparently.

Reference to the four horsemen? Also kinda looks like a tower if you squint at it?

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

Quidthulhu posted:

Reference to the four horsemen? Also kinda looks like a tower if you squint at it?

My guess is its either a puzzle or a hint to a puzzle. If it were decorative flair for the setting it wouldn't need to be as difficult to comprehend.

Of course, it's possible pera just posted a picture of a random chess match to watch us all loose our minds over it for a night. I think that's the fun of this game? I'm not certain of course, still getting used to it.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I'm awake

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

PMush Perfect posted:

the king exposed himself

lol

lol

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Modkill for edit imo

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

chaoslord posted:

Modkill for edit imo

this is a joke don’t actually modkill :ohdear:

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

chaoslord posted:

Modkill for edit imo

:agreed:

white is going to lose that game. they should have opened with the undefeatable sodium attack. now black can continue with ..Ke6 and white is doomed. a strong king leads.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't know poo poo about chess so I'll let you smart people figure it out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Psa it was bif that died.

I was very confused about the flip for a while there.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yeah I have had to go and check votefinder for every flip.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I find it odd that MMT is still alive. She's as bad or worse as the lurkers that have been killed already.

Of course, pera doesn't actually eliminate lurkers, she gives kira the ability to.

Since that's not happening, MMT is either kira herself, or working with him.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I find it odd that MMT is still alive. She's as bad or worse than the lurkers that have been killed already.

Of course, pera doesn't actually eliminate lurkers, she gives kira the ability to.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Yeah I have had to go and check votefinder for every flip.

I did not think to do that, thanks

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I find it odd that MMT is still alive. She's as bad or worse as the lurkers that have been killed already.

:ok:

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

you're doing good work kira!!

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

KhediveRex posted:

*Edit*

Oh! Oh! Never mind, my bad. Same number of moves, White's turn. I got so caught up in that king on the seventh rank I forgot to count the castled king castling as a move. Everything's good. Except that King on the seventh rank. Nothing was threatening him on his home square. Moving forward would have been one of the worst notions for that peice. Considering he already put in all the effort to clear his casting line.

*Edit Edit*

When the two bishops are brought to the center like that it's the Giuoco Piano variant of the Four Knights Game. Apparently.

:ghost: No worries this time since you obviously weren't loving around - but don't ever edit your posts in a mafia [/forum] game. :ghost:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So question for everyone, were your night results in line with what you would expect from a normal mafia game or were there odd variations?

Don't be specific about what you did, that could be used against us, but understanding more about actions would be helpful.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Bif's a real odd kill and I don't like it even though I know she was a wrongo

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So question for everyone, were your night results in line with what you would expect from a normal mafia game or were there odd variations?

Don't be specific about what you did, that could be used against us, but understanding more about actions would be helpful.

I deliberately submitted some silly free actions and got results on them. Make of that what you will.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Quidthulhu posted:

YOU DOUBT DEATH SHOT?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

are you all sure that that chess image is some kind of symbolism and not a screenshot of a game pera is playing

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Max posted:

YOU DOUBT DEATH SHOT?

who dies next, death girl

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

GulagDolls posted:

are you all sure that that chess image is some kind of symbolism and not a screenshot of a game pera is playing

Checkmate

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I've been active, just not in here. And no, I'm neither Kira nor working with him.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Quidthulhu posted:

hm I guess you must've been bif's scumbro all along to take such a strange stance! you tried to woo me by drawing a snail, but you'll not get far that way!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I deliberately submitted some silly free actions and got results on them. Make of that what you will.

:same: actually

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

I've been active, just not in here. And no, I'm neither Kira nor working with him.

how do you know kira is a man? a suspicious thing to know, for someone who isn't friends with Kira.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

GulagDolls posted:

who dies next, death girl

OUR NEW SPOTLIGHT WILL BE PREMIERED TONIGHT. MAKE SURE YOU TUNE IN.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

how do you know kira is a man? a suspicious thing to know, for someone who isn't friends with Kira.

I've been skimming on the flavor and honestly thought Kira was a woman but was just following the lead on the question I was answering.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Murmur Twin posted:

I've been skimming on the flavor and honestly thought Kira was a woman but was just following the lead on the question I was answering.

MMT, WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE FEATURED IN TONIGHTS DEATH SHOT?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

MMT, WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE FEATURED IN TONIGHTS DEATH SHOT?

Feel free.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

OK

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

That was surprisingly easy

Max
Nov 30, 2002

SOME CASES MAKE THEMSELVES. YOU WILL SEE, TONIGHT.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

max is kora, game solvef

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

max is kora, game solvef

give me the ¥5000

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hello friends.

Okay a few odd things happened to me last night.

Myself and a family member both happened to stake out the same place.

In doing so we both learned each other's full flavour names. On a hunch I asked pera for a list of all the flavour names of members of my family and was told that I can't do that.

So it stands to reason that Kira can gain the real names of members of his/her family by observing them but doesn't immediately have all of them.

Additionally, I wrote a note and left it at the location, my family member in the same night interacted and was able to read the note. I'm not sure exactly what this means going forward, but it means that orders of actions appear to not be hard coded but are based on what would be logical for the story or what people are doing. So my family member never used the collect action to get the note, but it was assumed that they would logically do that.

What this means is that players can send private messages to other investigators and only ever have the other investigator know what they're saying. I /think/ this could be a useful tool.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Additionally, I wrote a note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07P0mXOjKBk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC6T3_O2iWc

• Locked thread