Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
I've never done something like this before, but I'd be interested to try. Sign me up I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Much anticipation. Great excitement. Wow.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

##vote KhediveRex

If everyone votes for themselves we can stymie the political process. It'll be stalemate forever!

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

The Four Knights opening. Relatively equal position when played ideally but, in this circumstance, odds strongly favor white who has already castled.

Personally I'd play Nc3-d5, check. Black takes d5 with Nf6. You recapture with the E pawn. Black has to retreat his knight, white takes blacks E pawn. The exchange ends with white a point ahead and mostly in control of the center.

We should discuss though that this position is technically impossible. Black has taken one more move than white. That will never happen.

*Edit*

Oh! Oh! Never mind, my bad. Same number of moves, White's turn. I got so caught up in that king on the seventh rank I forgot to count the castled king castling as a move. Everything's good. Except that King on the seventh rank. Nothing was threatening him on his home square. Moving forward would have been one of the worst notions for that peice. Considering he already put in all the effort to clear his casting line.

*Edit Edit*

When the two bishops are brought to the center like that it's the Giuoco Piano variant of the Four Knights Game. Apparently.

KhediveRex fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 17, 2017

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

He's just hanging out there in the wind. It's really not a defensible position.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Yeah, i'd guess no message. This is a fairly common opening, you see it constantly. Which makes it equally hard to try and find a master-level game where this was played because, there are countless. If it's an allusion to one in particular it's like digging in a haystack.

Although probably not with that king set up ... that might be the trick.

If anyone feels like googling the turn that's weird would have been-

5. 0-0. Ke7.

It could theoretically have been done on their 4th turns but, they're on turn 6 and the king action seemed like it happened just last turn. More likely 5th turn.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Quidthulhu posted:

Reference to the four horsemen? Also kinda looks like a tower if you squint at it?

My guess is its either a puzzle or a hint to a puzzle. If it were decorative flair for the setting it wouldn't need to be as difficult to comprehend.

Of course, it's possible pera just posted a picture of a random chess match to watch us all loose our minds over it for a night. I think that's the fun of this game? I'm not certain of course, still getting used to it.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

peramene posted:

White has captured a Black Pawn.

Totally salvageable position.

1. KD5-C7. KF6-G5.
2. KC7-E8. RF8-E8.
3. BC4-F7...

Trade queens with black, your knight gets captured by the enemy rook on the back row. White's down three points. And then you move that bishop up into the king's castling block, supported by the knight. Check threatening a rook and a knight.

From there you can go either way. The knight is free and capturing it puts white point even with black who now has a big hole in his castling pawns. Very winnable position. Or white can capture the rook and lose the bishop. Which puts him one point down but draws the king out of hiding and leaves black to try and compete with white's pair of rooks in the endgame; without a queen - with only one rook. A much more aggressive strategy but, similarly, very winnable.

I don't know that this is the same game we we're shown earlier though. Look, black's castled now. That would have taken four moves. Shifting the queen to the E file is a fifth move. And then blacks A pawn and D pawn have been advanced. That's SEVEN moves. It sure doesn't look like white has taken seven moves...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

It can't be the same game, right? Black already moved their king to the seventh row so castling would be illegal.

Yeah, the king from the last game could never have castled. He could have moved manually into a castled position but that takes four moves. And if seven turns have really passed, white has been busy doing almost nothing. Except endanger his queen, I suppose.

I think it has to be a different game. One were black was more orthodox with his opening.

• Locked thread