Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

or, here's a nutty thought: have a job that doesn't involve sitting all day and giving yourself nerve damage because you're laid low by a chair

it doesn't have to be all-day. repeated exposure in relatively short stints will still seriously damage your health over time

all workers should have chairs built for their safety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have somehow had the perfect string of jobs to not develop rsi because I don't give a gently caress about ergonomics even with our sites ergonomic team doing their evaluation

my hip and other mobilities are garbage though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

I have somehow had the perfect string of jobs to not develop rsi because I don't give a gently caress about ergonomics even with our sites ergonomic team doing their evaluation

no, you have just got lucky.

as with many chronic diseases, there are no symptoms until you are in the last stages. prevention is the only cure. by the time you have your first symptoms, progression is practically guaranteed.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
after you're done with a hard day working you come home to the true danger: the unregulated chairs in your home

chairs: the widowmaker

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you get an RSI before you're 50 and you are not doing real work for a living (spending all day using an impact wrench, weedeater, jackhammer, sewing machine, etc) then it's because you don't exercise your flabby fat rear end enough. hth

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bullshit. an unergonomic mouse and keyboard setup will eventually give you carpal tunnel if you work all day and aren't careful. for desks and chair use exercise helps but it isn't a substitute for ergonomics unless you're looking to be a svelte hunchback

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

OldAlias posted:

bullshit. an unergonomic mouse and keyboard setup will eventually give you carpal tunnel if you work all day and aren't careful. for desks and chair use exercise helps but it isn't a substitute for ergonomics unless you're looking to be a svelte hunchback

not just all-day workers, and not just carpal tunnel

ulnar nerve problems, tendonitis, arthritis, there's a whole world of stress injuries

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

if you get an RSI before you're 50 and you are not doing real work for a living (spending all day using an impact wrench, weedeater, jackhammer, sewing machine, etc) then it's because you don't exercise your flabby fat rear end enough. hth

first off, no amount of exercise will protect you from stress injury

secondly, turning a screwdriver or operating a keyboard with the wrong chair is very nearly as hazardous as the powered machinery you presented

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
anime dogtits aside, this is no joke

get a chair with adjustable armrests, gents. it's cheap and it's important to your health.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
or, another wacky thought: do real work that doesn't involve such high-stress things as typing on a keyboard for hours a day for years on end that necessitates special super-advanced seating technology

it's weird i know, but perhaps if your job requires prescription chairs it may not be the best thing to be doing with your life

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i can only imagine the agonized caterwauling that goes on when a computer toucher has to sit in a normal chair at the kitchen table because they weren't allowed to pull up the ol' aeron to thanksgiving dinner

pram
Jun 10, 2001
severe ergonomics violations going on itt

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
do you rest your head on the headrest?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i have a physicist friend who spent her phd in a basement typing and adjusting lasers with tiny screwdrivers, and it hosed up her hands so badly she couldn't even pick up a pencil. saw her recently and after living with her parents for five years of physio and recovery she is now again able to complete challenging tasks like opening a door

my colleague in the real actual labour job ive been doing the last few months has just had surgery on the elbow he hosed up from repeatedly lifting stuff

my friend who is a teacher has periods where he can barely walk because he's a competitive fell runner who damaged his knees when he was young and stupider

in conclusion, the human body is a fragile bag of poorly designed joints not fit for task, recommend retiring and replacing asap

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
also nbsd is right about bad chairs being the silent killer (of your ability to move without pain)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

friend of mine did lots of cross country running when he was 14-17 and it hosed his knees up nicely

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
why do armrests matter anyway? i dont think my arms are ever on them

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

to reduce the downward pull on your shoulders.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Thanks Ants posted:

to reduce the downward pull on your shoulders.

yeah but what if your arms are never on them

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

then theyre too low

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

at work i usually park my chair reaaaaal close to teh desk so teh armrests are under teh desk

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good ergonomics is why I use an ADA-height throne for my posting rig

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

does it have a heated seat?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

forgot to mention about my chair at home; if i fart in just the right way i can get the height adjuster handle to vibrate

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

bobbilljim posted:

forgot to mention about my chair at home; if i fart in just the right way i can get the height adjuster handle to vibrate

take it easy on thos Beans

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

friend of mine did lots of cross country running when he was 14-17 and it hosed his knees up nicely

tons of runners gently caress up their knees because their training program is garbage (added in with a 'play through the pain' mindset), and tons of hs coaches aren't really track athletes they're just the football coach doing whats in season and he sure as hell doesn't know anything about distance running

pram
Jun 10, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

lol

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I didn't know much about chairs but now thanks to this thread I know my office has aerons everywhere and some mirras in certain conference rooms. My home chair is some $200 sams club thing I got 10 years ago. Guess I should get a new chair.

lancemantis posted:

tons of runners gently caress up their knees because their training program is garbage (added in with a 'play through the pain' mindset), and tons of hs coaches aren't really track athletes they're just the football coach doing whats in season and he sure as hell doesn't know anything about distance running

also the whole "SHOE SCIENCE" thing that gets lots of people into shoes that aren't doing them any favors instead of just getting the most comfortable shoe.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

bobbilljim posted:

shifting your asscheeks to get optimal fart acoustics is an art

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SO DEMANDING posted:

shifting your asscheeks to get optimal fart acoustics is an art

you'd think the mesh on an aeron would let through a fart without changing the sound but nope! Slipknot if it were fronted by a duck it is.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
get it because chairs rhymes with stairs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Stymie posted:

after you're done with a hard day working you come home to the true danger: the unregulated chairs in your home

chairs: the widowmaker

my work stuff is so on point ergonomically that i hate using my computer at home now and am too cheap to fit it out with the same stuff i have at work, but using the computer less at home is probably a blessing in disguise

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I have a steelcase gesture. its needs suiting I guess.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I do most of my "work" from home in a fjords admiral recliner though.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

im agreeing with anime dog tits.

like all matters, Xe's more correct than yospos would like to admit

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

power botton posted:

I do most of my "work" from home in a fjords admiral recliner though.

my back hurts reading this

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i just bought a good desk chair / stool from wayfair, it is suits my needs

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

my back hurts reading this

dont worry I mostly take naps and play video games.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I’m a computer game youtuber and so have a racing car seat on office chair wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
no one posted altwork desk? for shame

• Locked thread