Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know if anything is changed from the PC release but I'm pumped anyway. Let's talk about how Dragon's Dogma is incredible and everyone should play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

best game I played last year, reinstalled it a few months ago for another playthrough. probably going to be one of those games I go back to every year or so

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I always wanted to try this out but never got around to it. My gaming plate is still pretty full so I'll wait for a sale.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
This game has some of the best adventure feels of any game I've ever played.. Breath of the Wild is the only game that does it better imo. Dragon's Dogma is godlike despite its flaws

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I love the Big Change near the end of the game so loving much. Someday we'll get a proper Berserk game that plays like an even better version of Dragon's Dogma. I have to believe.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Just beat this on pc recently. My only real beef is how unforgiving the enemy resistances can be sometimes and the dragon fight at the end is pretty bad. I haven't been able to get into the post game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Just beat this on pc recently. My only real beef is how unforgiving the enemy resistances can be sometimes and the dragon fight at the end is pretty bad. I haven't been able to get into the post game
I don't like the postgame much, either the Everfall or Bitterblack. I don't think the game is as much fun when you're dungeon crawling as it is when you're just exploring and questing.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I always wanted to try this out but never got around to it. My gaming plate is still pretty full so I'll wait for a sale.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't like the postgame much, either the Everfall or Bitterblack. I don't think the game is as much fun when you're dungeon crawling as it is when you're just exploring and questing.

I love the look of Everfall but I couldn't get very into it because there's just not a whole lot there to do. Bitterblack is awesome though

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I'd rather rebuy this 5 year old game than buy new ones. Also looking forward to rebuying Dragon's Crown.

Just need a PS4 remaster of The King of Dragons to have all good "Dragon" games in one place.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i bought this for the xbox 360 a few years ago and got to the first big castle town. if it's on sale for the fall steam sale i might get it for the PC. do platforms share pawns, or is it locked?

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bitterblack was awesome, especially when it's new content and you have no idea what's waiting around the corner. That sense of dread when a carrion beast shows up is intense.

The Everfall was disappointing but I liked the boss fight of the vanilla game even though it was pretty easy. The way they split it up into parts made it feel epic

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If you don't have the game here's the experience that sold me on it, I was a mountain with a ogre and I was climbing around on him, and wanted to get off the mountain and thought to myself, surely this game wouldn't let me run the ogre off a cliff, but it did and the ogre's corpse broke my fall and I got XP for it and skipped part of a long corridor style section of the quest.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's an epic game with next to no level scaling and it rewards ingenuity in ways you wouldn't believe of a open world RPG in the era of Skyrim and Oblivion. Purchase that rear end...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

If you don't have the game here's the experience that sold me on it, I was a mountain with a ogre and I was climbing around on him, and wanted to get off the mountain and thought to myself, surely this game wouldn't let me run the ogre off a cliff, but it did and the ogre's corpse broke my fall and I got XP for it and skipped part of a long corridor style section of the quest.

hell yeah. My favorite enduring memory is when I got a bland sounding fetch quest that was like Find me x2 Griffon Feather traveler! and it turned into a 3 hour mega quest battling a griffon on a seaside precipice during an insane lightning storm.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wolves hunt in packs, Arisen!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

A white wolf... 'twill be red soon enough! is my favorite pawn line.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

hell yeah. My favorite enduring memory is when I got a bland sounding fetch quest that was like Find me x2 Griffon Feather traveler! and it turned into a 3 hour mega quest battling a griffon on a seaside precipice during an insane lightning storm.

This sounds like the most badass metal album art ever motherfucking conceived.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

This was the original Dragon's Dogma opening, before the expansion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Fighting monsters in this game is basically what I hoped Monster Hunter was like.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Fighting monsters in this game is basically what I hoped Monster Hunter was like.

The magic is pretty impressive and always what I thought the Fable games were going for

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat... i almost don't want to wait for a sale to play this again. but i think i will, because i am currently a price conscious gamer.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i never finished my first run because 2h is kind of a boring character, what's a fun one thats not shredding everything with magic archer?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fungah! posted:

i never finished my first run because 2h is kind of a boring character, what's a fun one thats not shredding everything with magic archer?
I really like Assassin and Ranger. Ranger can do insane amounts of damage really fast at a long range but has to actually aim.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

mage/sorc is fun but i had an insanely hard time hitting the dragons weak spot and it took forever

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Fungah! posted:

A fun one is switching between nearly every class. I think the only one I didn't use was the 2H class because it only gets 3 skills for no reason at all

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

A fun one is switching between nearly every class. I think the only one I didn't use was the 2H class because it only gets 3 skills for no reason at all

yeah thats what killed 2h for me, the moves are all fuckin sweet but only getting 3 means you're doing the same stuff over and over every fight

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fiddlesticks, I'm usually a 2h character in these games, that stinks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[quote="“Daikatana Ritsu”" post="“477212744”"]
Fiddlesticks, I’m usually a 2h character in these games, that stinks.
[/quote]
It's not as bad as it sounds, most characters will rely on a couple core skills. Also they get some great passives.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fwiw the skills they do get feel insanely good, arc of deliverance in particular is one of the best buttons in video games and s almost as fun as bolide or maelstrom or whatever

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Fungah! posted:

i liked the strider and the classes that branch off from strider because you get a double jump and dodge and the honing attack you can spam which helps end the terrible combat with trash mobs faster for the 70% of the base game thats terrible combat with goblins/bandits/lizardmen.

you should read a levelling guide tho because the way stats work is really stupid tho, like certain classes give you certain skills for levelling.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

this game was pretty good but i thought the open world stuff was pretty pointless and its a fairly small world newayz, and all the best content in the main game was either in dungeons or in self contained areas like when you free the garisson from the cyclops attack or whatever. and i wish the damage scaling wasn't purely based on leveling, it's like an nes game like crystalis or willow where you don't do any damage at level 10 but then you grind up to level 11 and you instantly murk the boss you couldn't damage 20 minutes ago or w/e.

bitterblack isle and everfall are really cool, and so is the pawn system, and the battles with big monsters were pretty cool.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

the pawn system is amazing and i hope someone steals it or uses it for another good game

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

unless youre stuck with the stock game pawns because you cant play online, thats awful

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

unless youre stuck with the stock game pawns because you cant play online, thats awful

i think this is what killed my interest on my 360 playthrough, since i didn't have Live

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

i think this is what killed my interest on my 360 playthrough, since i didn't have Live

finding good player created pawns can be a little bit of work but the difference between one that is properly geared/skilled/instructed vs the stock pawns is huge

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

finding good player created pawns can be a little bit of work but the difference between one that is properly geared/skilled/instructed vs the stock pawns is huge
Getting mages that have the spells you want and can cast them when you need is a bit of a crapshoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think I'm gonna pick up the PS4 version today despite having it on Steam and having way too many games to play.

• Locked thread