Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Not bad, though spoilers obviously.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm also a fan of Just Skinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qngy-IhDNkQ

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ahahaha. Apparently the React channel folks are having the Elders play doki doki literature club, of all people. I imagine it's not going to go as well as people who requested it expected, they probably thought the teens or adults would be doing it, not the elderly folks. I imagine they'll probably be all "the gently caress is this" like five minutes in

https://www.twitch.tv/fbelive

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Captain Invictus posted:

Ahahaha. Apparently the React channel folks are having the Elders play doki doki literature club, of all people. I imagine it's not going to go as well as people who requested it expected, they probably thought the teens or adults would be doing it, not the elderly folks. I imagine they'll probably be all "the gently caress is this" like five minutes in

"Ohh this Sayori child reminds me so much of my granddaughter" :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh dear

edit: apparently they're also having the teens do it too lol

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 6, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Roar posted:

"Ohh this Sayori child reminds me so much of my granddaughter" :3:

That's the farthest thing from :3: someone could ever say

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Exploiting old people for monetary gain is low to begin with but this poo poo is a new level

Samuringa posted:

That's the farthest thing from :3: someone could ever say

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol are you nuts, you can dislike the react channel and whatever but the elders they have on there are cognitively aware human beings who voluntarily do this stuff, and have on many occasions thanked them for spicing up their otherwise pretty boring/depressed latter days both with new things to experience or the fan correspondence.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They're not straight out blackmailing them but it still reeks of forcing empathy to milk that subscription money from suckers, but, then again, that's Twitch in general.

I think it's kinda gross that people ended up "pranking" others into playing this game, as if Sayori's suicide was like a Screamer from the mid-2000s.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
They aren't starving homeless people forced to play videogames like some dystopian future you goons, it's a fun leisure activity. They get to mug at the camera in front of an audience.
It's probably *less* exploitative than the usual 20-something pretending to be spooked by jumpscares.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

let's discuss the moral crisis that is old people playing video games for money

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Samuringa posted:

They're not straight out blackmailing them but it still reeks of forcing empathy to milk that subscription money from suckers, but, then again, that's Twitch in general.

I think it's kinda gross that people ended up "pranking" others into playing this game, as if Sayori's suicide was like a Screamer from the mid-2000s.
React is a youtube company that has made a pretty sizeable business(and has hired some of the people who began as just reactors to become actual employees which is neat) out of having kids/teens/college kids/adults/elders react to various things. Kids reacting to the beatles, elders reacting to the iphone 10, etc. It's pretty lucrative for them and some of their videos can be very entertaining. They recently moved their gaming stuff over to twitch due to it being easier for them to have it there over youtube due to various issues.

Yeah, it's a business, but as far as businesses go, they're not a bad one. They had one big slipup early on when they tried to copyright the concept of react videos, which while misguided I can understand since it was their sole gimmick for a while and people immediately started copying them en masse, but they backed down on that super quick and I've not heard anything bad about the company since, it's pretty small with like 50 employees or so.

Anyways, yeah, I can see if you took random old people off the street it would be lovely, but these folks have seen plenty of stuff before, including VR horror games, five nights at freddie's, etc, DDLC's twists can be pretty brutal but if the two I saw when I checked it real quick are the ones who are in for the whole thing, they'll be fine. Catherine rules and is a tough, lovable ol' gal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The real problem with reaction videos to DDLC ie that the elders die of old age before getting through the first act.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this doesn't work as well as some other things because there's so much build up. The super cut of reactions should be good but it's not worth watching the whole thing.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I'm thinking of giving this a shot. I was a fan of Dan Salvato's previous work so hopefully this will be similar.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Does Dan Salvato have a previous work other than Smash Bros mods & FrankerFaceZ?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Virtual YouTuber Kizuna Ai is going through DDLC and yeah, I forgot how slow the buildup is. She keeps dunking on the protagonist, which is pretty funny, but at 15 minutes per video it’ll be probably 5 episodes total before she gets to hang out with Sayori during the school festival. And, since she’s playing so many games at once, it’ll be over a month until she gets there...

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

blastron posted:

Virtual YouTuber Kizuna Ai is going through DDLC and yeah

The hell is a Virtual Youtuber

Do I even want to know?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Roar posted:

Do I even want to know?

Kizuna Ai is a blessing upon this lovely world.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

blastron posted:

Virtual YouTuber Kizuna Ai is going through DDLC and yeah, I forgot how slow the buildup is. She keeps dunking on the protagonist, which is pretty funny, but at 15 minutes per video it’ll be probably 5 episodes total before she gets to hang out with Sayori during the school festival. And, since she’s playing so many games at once, it’ll be over a month until she gets there...

Isn't she 100% scripted though? I like it better when I can lie to myself that their reactions are real.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

gmq posted:

Isn't she 100% scripted though? I like it better when I can lie to myself that their reactions are real.

What does your heart say

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Roar posted:

Do I even want to know?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/21/14994816/animated-vlogger-ai-kizuna-youtube-lets-play

Imagine Hatsune Miku, except instead of singing songs, she makes YouTube videos.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

doesnt start with 'HELLO YOUTUBES', is instantly in the top 1% percentile.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Does Dan Salvato have a previous work other than Smash Bros mods & FrankerFaceZ?

Level select codes for Mario Sunshine.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

blastron posted:

Kizuna Ai is going through DDLC

:stonklol::ohdear:

There's some other, less metafictionally horrifying DDLC LPs in Japanese that I've taken to watching despite my not being able to string a sentence together. Somehow the reactions I'm looking out for still translate perfectly. :devil:

Edit: No, I haven't played DDLC myself. I haven't tried since I went to download it off Steam and found it had already been installed. Nobody else touches my computer; I live alone. Have for years. And it's just...there.

VivaLa Eeveelution fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 7, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

:stonklol::ohdear:

There's some other, less metafictionally horrifying DDLC LPs in Japanese that I've taken to watching despite my not being able to string a sentence together. Somehow the reactions I'm looking out for still translate perfectly. :devil:
please link to some, or at least highlights, I've been curious how japanese VN players would take DDLC. Has it been fully translated to Japanese, officially, or is it a fanwork?

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I have no idea if it's official or not.

The video I'm currently on is a full play. No subs. It's just listening to music, possibly gearing my subconscious towards getting used to Japanese as a daily thing, watching the beats of the game and...you know, all that other stuff that comes with DDLC.

The livestream that I stayed up until 2am to watch (and subsequently misplaced) had the dude take the time to caress Natsuki with his mouse cursor. Her collarbone and her chest were his favourite areas of focus. You know, totally into this quick, free dating sim made by Americans.

His reaction to catching up with Sayori on the day of the festival was subdued compared to the guy I've linked to, but somehow it was more satisfying.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The video I'm currently on is a full play. No subs. It's just listening to music, possibly gearing my subconscious towards getting used to Japanese as a daily thing, watching the beats of the game and...you know, all that other stuff that comes with DDLC.

Clicking this in the hopes that he goes "NANIIIII" at some point

e: His little horrified gasp when he got the note on the day of the festival is perfect, thank you

e2: The chat going うああああ is perfect :allears:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 7, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ああああああああああああああああああああ

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i wonder how the poems are translated

his voice is cute

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I just watched the FBE archive of the second half of DDLC and it's nuts how on point Rae's voicing of Monika was. They managed to stay largely unspoiled which was surprisingly since they were reading the chat. They almost got directed to delete monika way too early but got redirected on track by the producer.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/249257098

It's always fun watching groups of people, especially random folks who don't particularly do games like Jordan, giving these meta games a go. This, Undertale, etc were real good for that sort of thing. Even my mom got into Undertale, which, uh, surprised me.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah it was pretty hilarious how Rae ended up reading Monika's lines and then they didn't even realize the Monika VO at the end was part of the game because she sounds so much like Jillian Ashcraft.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

ああああああああああああああああああああ

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" - Kizuna Ai, May 2nd 2018

Would now be a good time to mention that there are on-point DDLC models for Miku Miku Dance? And that Ai-chan has been expressing feelings of loneliness?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" - Kizuna Ai, May 2nd 2018

Would now be a good time to mention that there are on-point DDLC models for Miku Miku Dance? And that Ai-chan has been expressing feelings of loneliness?

I mean, it's a well done video, but the guy loses all the points for having various versions of 'original content, do not steal!' plastered all over his video full of somebody else's characters and storyline.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dang, those are both great. I had heard mention of this Ai-chan character around, but never actually watched it. Seems like it's just a streamer with Facerig set up to have an anime girl on it. Good reactions though.

The MMD thing reminds me of back in the day when people would make sprites of characters or themselves and say not to use them, when there's nothing you can really do to stop someone from using them except never upload them anywhere.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My favorite youtube remixer has a nice rendition of the main theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRgn53nUCAE

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Love me some one-man band youtubers. Gametal is another good one, though he hasn't done the DDLC theme. Kinda want to see him try it in his style now. :v:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ooooo, I haven't looked at any of Gametal's stuff, looks like I'll be listening to this guy all day.

My favorite thing about PPF is that he's always faithful to the original track, and he gets really drat creative when it comes to reproducing certain sounds, like in his remix of Hot Head Bop from Donkey Kong Country 2

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Got Dan’s autograph at Anime North. Yay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

alcharagia posted:

I don't really like this game, not because of the artistry- it's a fine game!- but because the creepypasta horror poo poo was way less compelling to me than the depictions of mental illness in the rest of the cast that weren't Monika. Her character as the subtly abusive badfriend felt more unique and compelling to me than her as the spooky horror villain who knows she's in a video game and all. Sayori's suicide was by far the most frightening thing in the game and it was a real letdown to not deal with any of the ramifications of that. So, I guess it just wasn't what I was hoping it would be.

True, yahtzee had a point when he said that the game blew it's load early. I'd rather stay behind and deal with the fallout and maybe help them cope with being in crazytown than doing the groundhog day creepypasta thing with the worn-out fourth wall breakage.

Though I suppose it is to the writers credit that the mental illnesses seemed so real and unsettling. It hit me doubly hard because I completely neglected Sayori.

• Locked thread