Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Apparently this game caused a minor moral panic in the UK a couple of weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Apparently this game caused a minor moral panic in the UK a couple of weeks ago.

I'm glad mainstream media is finally showing how dangerous anime is.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

This is one of my favorite pictures ever.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The main topic of discussion at the BBC: Doki Doki Literature Club.

The scrolling marquee at the bottom of the screen: The current status of Brexit negotiations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Watching DDLC playthroughs convinced me to drop my preconceptions about the genre and play Danganronpa which is now one of my favourite series so for that I am eternally grateful

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Watching DDLC playthroughs convinced me to drop my preconceptions about the genre and play Danganronpa which is now one of my favourite series so for that I am eternally grateful

Just don't watch the anime and you'll be set.

The spinoff game is also a little... weird.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Get to V3. It's real good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The more I think about it the more I agree with the sentiment that the daily reset element of the plot doesn't need to be there. You could easily follow through with the Yuri and Natsuki madness while also dealing with the fallout from Sayori's suicide, and just have Monica deflect her own worries about sentience by passing it off as mourning.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I read the LP Roar did again and man, it's incredible how many layers there are to some of the lines.

Monika's comment in the first playthrough about how she thinks Yuri has a boyfriend, "or at least, a fictional one" seems like a jab about husbandos but it also could work as a remark about how Monika sees everyone else as "fictional". :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

So when you get trapped in the room with Monika at the end and she not-so-subtly implies you need to delete her to finish the game, I couldn't bring myself to do it and just dragged her out of the folder, then put her back in after rebooting the game. She just tells you not to play with her heart and deletes herself.

:smith:

e: also for everyone talking about Sayori and accurate depictions of depression, the part that made it so sickening for me that I had to take a break from the game for a day wasn't just what she said, but the way the protagonist responded to her. He says the exact poo poo you feel like is the right stuff to say to a person with depression if you have no idea what the gently caress you should say to a person with depression. poo poo people said to me all the time and just made me feel worse. When was talking about ~helping her bear the burden~ and ~being with her forever~ I honestly was physically nauseous because I knew he was torturing her without even realizing it. Honestly I feel kinda bad for thinking so much about a story, especially one about high school anime babes, but oh well.

Just finished this last night, and I've been reading some stuff about it on and off since. Gonna get a little bit E/N here.

I've been dealing with depression and anxiety issues for a fairly long time, so Saiyuri's talk about it hit pretty hard. Also, while I came in a little spoiled, and half-expected her suicide eventually, it came really suddenly. My depression started getting really bad when my long-term (also long distance) girlfriend broke up with me, and has sorta flared up again because we had stayed friends, we still talked to each other constantly, but then she picked a few months ago to 95% sever with me, and I think that colored the game a lot for me. I haven't gotten a lot of people saying the sort of poo poo the MC said to Saiyuri, especially not specifically who I'd like to hear it from, so being told that it probably wouldn't even help is . . . not encouraging.

Being pretty loving single, desperate, and lonely, with plenty of self esteem and anxiety issues of my own (oddly enough,, the anxiety issues sorta just started up one day working a lovely third shift job, and while they've gotten better they haven't stopped); not to mention how thinking about it a lot of my depression issues are probably actually codependency issues that've been pretty starved, I actually legitimately got pretty attached to Yuri over the course of Act 1 and early Act 2. The closest thing I've really played to this genre before is Persona 3, it still feels kinda weird and pathetic, but I do at least see the appeal now. So Act 2 was a bit hosed there too. Everything but the serious self harm hit pretty close, and that bit just made me want to help more.

Really, in general, Monika says she amplified the character's negative traits to make them less appealing, but I barely cared about Sayuri until she started being visibly depressed. The "dragging the introvert MC out to stuff" hit a little, but I guess I've been desensitized to that from it being such a common archetype in . . . basically anything? And the start of Act 2 when Yuri was coming on pretty strong was appealing, and by the time she was getting "here is my poem it's scratches and blood and a yellow stain" bad it was doing a lot more to make Monika look bad for causing it than making Yuri look bad for needing serious help. Hard to explain properly, but am I the only one who feels like Monika amping up their issues would have backfired on her even without the suicides and horror stuff?

Not that a lot of her stuff didn't hit pretty close to home, too. I don't really tend to worry about the existential stuff that much, but a lot of her relationship stuff is painfully relatable. Really sucks that the only options with her (in kayfabe, I guess) are "leave her on your computer indefinitely, basically in hell whenever you're not running the game" and "mercy killing." The 'normal game' part afterwards was a lot more chilling than I'd have expected, too.

Never really got to know Natsuki, just choosing words legitimately for the poetry lined up with Yuri enough that she assumed I was doing it on purpose and stopped showing me her poems, and then I noped out of the weekend thing with her pretty fast because I am not comfortable with romantic stuff with her visible age. Apparently she's got child abuse issues? Dodged a much more distant (and mild compared to most, I'm sure) bullet there, I guess. Mostly just bringing her up because at this point this post is pretty loving long and I talked about everyone else except MC (he's a jerk and a dumbass and I have read at least three horror novels thank you very much) anyways.

Definitely looking forward to whatever this dev does next, especially if it involves these characters again. I can't remember a game in recent memory that left me wanting more so much; I definitely agree that if it were done well, Saiyuri's depression being the swerve and getting more into the characters' mental issues instead of immediately jumping to suicide and meta stuff would have also been good; a less compact experience, but I bet the ending would have been more satisfying.

That was probably a little too rambling, maybe a little too open. Sorry, it's pretty late and I've kinda been wanting to ramble about this since yesterday.

• Locked thread