Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tenik posted:

I'd like to second the request for a good VN about helping people. I haven't given VNs much of a shot, and the first act of the game has made me want to try one that doesn't develop the way DDLC's story does.

That's basically Pyre, fantasy sportsball aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

dmboogie posted:

endgame
honestly, listening to all the conversations in the Monika Zone's got me kinda convinced that calling herself 'real' is just a coping mechanism/rationalization for murdering her friends. Like, she tells stories about the other characters that kinda blur the line on what exactly separates her from them, other than her fourth-wall awareness?

Natsuki's last 'poem', had that effect, too.

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that the girls are coded to eventually fall in love with the MC; except for Monika. She doesn't really have an 'end state' like everyone else, and I think that's why she figured she was the only real person.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
gently caress sat down with my fiance to play this did my first 'end' dunno what the gently caress is going on but I love it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thinking about the ending a bit more: I can understand why seeing as much of the game as possible - i.e. collecting all the CGs - is necessary to reach the golden ending, but I feel like that's too limited in terms of what the player can do, or how they can interact with the game, and it isn't very fulfilling. Sure, it's due to the limitations of the framework the game is written in, and you can't exactly expect the player to do much more than delete files - who knows how technologically adept the player is? - but after pulling out the wires to "solve" the game, merely going through the game a bunch to get the best ending feels underwhelming.

After playing the game, I'm filled with the need to do something to fix it, rather than just sit back and go "welp guess it's hosed". The grand majority of the game was me sitting back and clicking on some words sometimes as everything went to hell, and just as it was getting good and demanding more active involvement from the player, it ends - and on a sour note. It's a letdown, and I can't demand that the developer add more poo poo to the game just to make me happy, but damned if I'm not left frustrated and annoyed as a result.

I tried to mod the game, but the scripts are encrypted so I can't :negative:

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

If you google around there are a few tools to unpack/decrypt ren'py files, I can't remember the names off the top of my head though

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lol i knew there was some irisu poo poo happening with the game because avast kept deleting the ddlc.exe file everytime i tried to install from steam. i had to borrow my friend's mac to play the drat thing

overall though i'm glad to say anime is good again

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

http://ddlcwiki.ga/wiki/DDLCWiki:Decompiling_the_game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Whats the difference between modding a VN and just writing fanfiction

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

goferchan posted:

None; both are worthy pursuits

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009

goferchan posted:

cool effects

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

goferchan posted:

You know, I started thinking about how I'd go about modding the game to add my own ending, and I could really only ask "why bother". It's not like making it means I've earned something in particular or "made everything better", since it doesn't achieve anything that everyone would recognize. The only thing I would have is a nice end state to say no, gently caress that, this is how it ends and I bolted this onto it and gently caress you if you say otherwise! And there's unfortunately not much value in that, right? :sigh:

Really, it's just an exercise in pure stubbornness.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 9, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Does anyone know how to savescum? I focused entirely on Sayori the first playthrough, and a cursory wiki check indicates I won't be able to get all of Natuski and Yuri's CGs on the second.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

Does anyone know how to savescum? I focused entirely on Sayori the first playthrough, and a cursory wiki check indicates I won't be able to get all of Natuski and Yuri's CGs on the second.

You missed your chance.

Edit: You need to get all the CGs before Sayori commits suicide. Just focus on playing through the rest of the game now, don't look at the wiki at all.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

dmboogie posted:

You missed your chance.

Whelp.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

If it makes you feel better , the ending chunk of the game affected by getting all the CGs is really short. It'll take you 5 minutes to watch it on youtube

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I am actually becoming stressed out and having to come back to the Internet while playing this game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If you'd like something deeper without all the fourth-wall breaking, definitely check out the House in Fata Morgana. The game has spoiled me on VNs.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 9, 2017

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
I never expected the origin story of Missingno to be so emotionally charged.

Anyways, end-game spoilers:

I feel I have to agree with some of the sentiment for this game, in terms of frustration. While parts of it were definitely very good, like the depictions of mental illness, and the "meta" effects in the second part, I felt I didn't really connect much with the game itself. Part of the problem I feel is the warning at the beginning. While it is, I feel, necessary, given the content; it still primes you for what is eventually going to happen. I knew poo poo was going to go bad from the beginning, and thus Sayori's suicide lacked impact in that respect (It also doesn't help, I suppose, that Sayori's suicide doesn't rank compared to stuff in other VNs in terms of disturbing content. If Sayori's death bothers you, never read Chaos;Head or Saya no Uta.). I figured she would commit suicide pretty much as soon as she started detailing her depression. Which, as an aside, that scene was very well written. As a person with depression myself, it did a really good job illustrating the issue, so props to the dev on that one.

Speaking of impact, while some have said the first part went on too long, I feel the opposite. It wasn't long enough. The characters never felt terribly "real", and thus it was hard to connect with them. After a certain point, it felt more like they were just neuroses, rather than characters with those issues. Preferably, I would have liked an actual "dating sim" in terms of length and depth, such that when things begin to turn, the impact is that much greater. The world you've experienced beginning to break down as the characters you've come to know fall apart in the face of it. And not because they're manipulated data wise by a malevolent force, rather as a reaction based on their issues, which are then exacerbated. I feel this would be a better depiction of mental illness here, rather than Monika essentially forcing them to act like that and eventually kill themselves. In other words, Sayori and Yuri didn't commit suicide because of their issues, not really. It was Monika primarily who was responsible, which kind of acts against the depiction of their issues I felt.

Speaking of Monika, I felt the part with her in the room was pretty frustrating. I honestly had no idea what the game wanted me to do, not because I didn't parse the hints it gave me necessarily, but because I didn't agree with the outcome. While Monika's actions were horrific, it doesn't justify to me going in and forcibly deleting her, effectively "executing" her. I would have preferred some other solution, to be perfectly honest, especially since I was stuck on that segment for like an hour and a half waiting for her text to run out.

Oh well, it is what it is. I'm excited to see what the project following this is.

Also, nthing on Kindred Spirits. One of my favourite VNs, and probably my favourite in all honestly. Downside with that though is that it was one of the first VNs I read on Steam, so everything's been kind of downhill. Still some good experiences, just not on the level of Kindred Spirits.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 9, 2017

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I liked this a lot and I liked that it was short enough to just play in one sitting as well. It was different in a good way, had a lot of fun with it. I had not heard of it before I saw this thread so Thanks Goons!

I knew Sayori's end of act 1 was coming, just due to everything that had led up to that point but it was still pretty drat effectively freaky. Also since I'd neglected her specifically I wondered if different girls would have that end of act depending on who you abandoned but it wasn't quite that deep.

More people should join Literature Club. It's such a happy place!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Samuringa posted:

It's an interesting game, but I was more interested and probably would've liked more if instead of the fourth wall breaking it was more about the issues each character had and how you could help.

I suppose there might be a VN expert here, is there a game like that? Won't buy it right away but I'd like to try some day.

As I understand it, Katawa Shoujo was actually good and about this, to an extent. Haven't played it myself, but... well, it's free too.

Seconding House in Fata Morgana for being an absolutely outstanding visual novel, although it's nothing like any other one out there. (Outside from Animamundi, but that one's not on steam, hooray)

And then if you really want a super anime take on "a bunch of messed up girls and the messed up MC who learns to love them", there's always Fruit of Grisaia. It is very, very anime and not necessarily in a good way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lord Justice posted:

I feel I have to agree with some of the sentiment for this game, in terms of frustration. While parts of it were definitely very good, like the depictions of mental illness, and the "meta" effects in the second part, I felt I didn't really connect much with the game itself. Part of the problem I feel is the warning at the beginning. While it is, I feel, necessary, given the content; it still primes you for what is eventually going to happen. I knew poo poo was going to go bad from the beginning, and thus Sayori's suicide lacked impact in that respect (It also doesn't help, I suppose, that Sayori's suicide doesn't rank compared to stuff in other VNs in terms of disturbing content. If Sayori's death bothers you, never read Chaos;Head or Saya no Uta.). I figured she would commit suicide pretty much as soon as she started detailing her depression. Which, as an aside, that scene was very well written. As a person with depression myself, it did a really good job illustrating the issue, so props to the dev on that one.

Speaking of impact, while some have said the first part went on too long, I feel the opposite. It wasn't long enough. The characters never felt terribly "real", and thus it was hard to connect with them. After a certain point, it felt more like they were just neuroses, rather than characters with those issues. Preferably, I would have liked an actual "dating sim" in terms of length and depth, such that when things begin to turn, the impact is that much greater. The world you've experienced beginning to break down as the characters you've come to know fall apart in the face of it. And not because they're manipulated data wise by a malevolent force, rather as a reaction based on their issues, which are then exacerbated. I feel this would be a better depiction of mental illness here, rather than Monika essentially forcing them to act like that and eventually kill themselves. In other words, Sayori and Yuri didn't commit suicide because of their issues, not really. It was Monika primarily who was responsible, which kind of acts against the depiction of their issues I felt.

I agree with this. I think the warning in the beginning and the buzz around the game actually kinda hosed it up, because I went in anticipating fuckery and I didn't give myself the chance to get used to the characters.

I love the idea of the world breaking down due to the character's issues both in-universe and diegetically. Just have the fuckery be a result of each individual character's burden, rather than having it all be Monika's fault.

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I understand it, Katawa Shoujo was actually good and about this, to an extent. Haven't played it myself, but... well, it's free too.

Katawa Shoujo gets a bunch of poo poo (and rightfully so in some cases), but I thought it was alright. Not entirely comfortable with the premise, however.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, if the problem is that the player never got to spend time with Monika, why not just...give the option to spend time with her? I would have done it. How much influence did Monika have over the game? She can clearly delete files at least, and she seems to have access to some sort of console, so can't she just spin up Vim and write her own route or something?

And for anyone near the end of the game, I highly recommend listening to what Monika has to say during her segment. She's got quite a lot of dialogue, and it's pretty good.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 9, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If not for the warnings, I'd have dismissed DDLC out of hand.

I would agree that the poignant depictions of illness and the meta horror kind of work against each other.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Also, if the problem is that the player never got to spend time with Monika, why not just...give the option to spend time with her? I would have done it. How much influence did Monika have over the game? She can clearly delete files at least, and she seems to have access to some sort of console, so can't she just spin up Vim and write her own route or something?

Because that's what makes her 'different' from the others. She doesn't have a "route" or an "endstate". She's in a wholly unique situation and restricting herself into a route would do her more harm than good.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

She talks about this a bit in Monika Land. She's not confident enough to write herself a route without worrying about messing the game up; and she also wouldn't be content if the player even had a choice to pick anyone other than her.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

my fav monika dialogue is about super smash bro - why did she even say this, it's probably programmed in her, oh well

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Oh shoot, I forgot Strix made a thread for this. I wrote a big thing about the game and linked it in the Steam thread but I'll put it here too if anyone's interested or wants to discuss it. Spoilers, obviously.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Oh shoot, I forgot Strix made a thread for this. I wrote a big thing about the game and linked it in the Steam thread but I'll put it here too if anyone's interested or wants to discuss it. Spoilers, obviously.

I'm jealous that you can put your thoughts out in words so easily.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

my fav monika dialogue is about super smash bro - why did she even say this, it's probably programmed in her, oh well

This game is made by the chap behind Project M, the big mod that turns Brawl into a good game.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Kinda with Endorph on this one. It's a neat VN but nothing groundbreaking.

If you're looking for more horror, check out House in Fata Morgana.

If you want a focus on mental issues/helping people without the meta stuff, try out Fruit of Grisaia.

If you want all of the above and then some, and have a lot of time, play the Muv Luv trilogy.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

dromal phrenia posted:

Another EDIT just so I don't doublepost: My Virus Checker (AVAST) popped up twice when I first opened the game. I'm assuming thats because Monika addresses you by your actual name, which requires the game to access files that aren't its own stuff. Who else liked that bit? Fourth-wall-breaking isnt that creepy on its own but when I get personally addressed by a deranged anime girl, it gets into the fun kind of creepy

Oh, that's cool. It was lost on me, because I used my actual name anyway so I guess she changes to you profile name or something?

All in all I do agree with the dude complaining about the slow burn. Going through the same parts again I was bored enough to just be clicking stuff away and missed some of the new stuff. It would be nice if the skip feature automatically stopped when things changed. Still, overall it was really fun.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Something else that bothered me, let me see if I can articulate it. Spoilers for everything.

So I feel the game kind of fails on its depiction of mental illness in the second act. While yes, both Yuri's and Monika's issues are real and can result in what happened (Yuri's self-harm and obsession, for example), what bothers me is that they are either depicted as "horror" or "villainous". With Yuri, her illness is often exploited to create situations where the VN can break, as well as modified, like with putting her sprite really close to the screen and making her freak out. While this is effective as a psychological tool, it feels a bit problematic to me to use mental illness like this to do "interesting meta stuff" with the VN. This ties into how I felt the characters weren't so much characters as neuroses, and these neuroses used to aid the VN in its meta nature rather than depicting the illness properly.

A big problem of media that has mental illness in it is that the person with it is usually depicted as deranged and violent, something less than human. A bunch of games with mental asylums use this frankly terrible trope, and I feel DDLC is using it as well to an extent. You also see this with mass shootings, where "mental illness" is always dragged out, like there's something inherently violent to the concept. And sure, some mentally ill people can be violent, but the issue is there's very little that isn't violent in terms of representation. In that sense, I find Sayori's depiction to be much better. While her suicide is used to shock the player, ultimately her depression isn't really used to break things or scare the player. It's very forthright and honest about what depression actually is and how it affects people.

With Monika as well I find there's some issues. Her mind is very clearly broken by her circumstances, and she acts out in a horrific way. While this makes sense, and feels less problematic given the context, the problem comes in with how the player approaches her. There's no option to actually engage with her at all. You only have two choices in regards to Monika: either stop playing the game entirely and leave her in a torturous existence, or execute her. Obviously, neither of these are good options, especially in dealing with this sort of situation. This is probably the point, but it still rubs me the wrong way, especially as a response to a mental issue.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 9, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
What the heck are the CGs everyone is talking about collecting? I feel like I missed something fundamental.

Also end endgame stuff, but this is a cool thing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DDLC/comments/757297/when_monika_knows_youre_streaming_monkasspoiler/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

What the heck are the CGs everyone is talking about collecting? I feel like I missed something fundamental.

Also end endgame stuff, but this is a cool thing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DDLC/comments/757297/when_monika_knows_youre_streaming_monkasspoiler/

A CG is just one of the still images of the girls that you see on the first day when you choose who to show your poetry too. Basically collecting all the CGs just means saving and reloading to see every major branch in that part.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Too Shy Guy posted:

You put it pretty well, especially the part about psychological horror. Games still have unexplored potential for multi-layered deep horror, even DDLC only sort of scratches the surface, though quite effectively.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I saw a guy in my Steam activity recommend this as a horror game. I've never really played any VNs before but I know the stereotypes. I just finished the first act, I went in knowing this was a horror game so I expected something like Sayori killing herself to happen. While that meant it happening wasn't a surprise, I was still dreading it happening even though the game was being kind of mundane. I didn't expect the game loving deleting her files and then intentionally calling them anyway so that it would vomit a bunch of corrupt art and then rewriting the entire story so that she never existed in the first place guys I am bad at horror please help me I'm too scared to continue :ohdear:

I was diagnosed with depressive disorder, and Sayori's thought processes mirror what mine were at my nadir and that's the main reason why I'm too sickened and horrified to continue. "Actually, you know what? This would probably be a lot easier if I just deleted her. She's the one who's making this so difficult." :cry:

Should I just stop now if I find this game distressing or is the payoff worth it? I stopped after writing the first poem on the second playthrough.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Heaven Spacey posted:

I saw a guy in my Steam activity recommend this as a horror game. I've never really played any VNs before but I know the stereotypes. I just finished the first act, I went in knowing this was a horror game so I expected something like Sayori killing herself to happen. While that meant it happening wasn't a surprise, I was still dreading it happening even though the game was being kind of mundane. I didn't expect the game loving deleting her files and then intentionally calling them anyway so that it would vomit a bunch of corrupt art and then rewriting the entire story so that she never existed in the first place guys I am bad at horror please help me I'm too scared to continue :ohdear:

I was diagnosed with depressive disorder, and Sayori's thought processes mirror what mine were at my nadir and that's the main reason why I'm too sickened and horrified to continue. "Actually, you know what? This would probably be a lot easier if I just deleted her. She's the one who's making this so difficult." :cry:

Should I just stop now if I find this game distressing or is the payoff worth it? I stopped after writing the first poem on the second playthrough.

I think the payoff is worth it, especially as you've already read through the largest part of the game. Although... it never really touches on depression like that again, and sticks to more of the creepypasta stuff.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Heaven Spacey posted:

I'm going to say maybe you should stop depending on what you've been through. The content warnings are there for a reason. In particular there is brief but graphic depiction of self harm which you may well find distressing. The payoff is interesting, but certainly not worth risking your mental health over, if that's an issue.

--

I just finished the game and I'm really glad I played it. It actually felt like the kind of really good horror game I don't get to play often, but through a different medium. Given the way things play out, is there any point in reinstalling and going for different girls? I went for Sayori first and Yuri second, which seems like it makes the most sense anyway. Are there any other games like this? Not neccessarily the fourth wall breaking, glitchy stuff, but creepy visual novels or adventure games or something?

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 9, 2017

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think the payoff is worth it, especially as you've already read through the largest part of the game. Although... it never really touches on depression like that again, and sticks to more of the creepypasta stuff.

il_cornuto posted:

I'm going to say maybe you should stop depending on what you've been through. The content warnings are there for a reason. In particular there is brief but graphic depiction of self harm which you may well find distressing. The payoff is interesting, but certainly not worth risking your mental health over, if that's an issue.

Yeah I haven't spoiled myself on the plot or anything but I'm guessing Yuri's problem is self-harm and Natsuki binges and purges? - these problems won't hit me as hard as major depression does I think I can handle it if I just take a time-out to get over what happened to Sayori. I am still interested to see what happens. Thanks for the replies :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Lord Justice posted:

Something else that bothered me, let me see if I can articulate it. Spoilers for everything.

I get where you're coming from, especially re: monika, but I don't think I agree with your interpretation of Yuri in Act 2. Like, by that point she is 100% more of a neurosis than a character, but because that was caused by Monika continually loving with her head to bring out the worst in her I feel like that was on purpose?

idk, i've got some sadbrains and I don't feel like the game's depiction of Act 2 Yuri is going for "mental illness is inherently scary" instead of "most people would be loving terrifying if you deliberately exaggerated their most harmful and unhealthy traits". I absolutely agree with you that it's a bad/harmful trope in general tho

• Locked thread