Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
ctps: Seriously thinking about starting to give nasty answers to issues on GitHub. I can live through broken english and clueless programmers, but assholes who post snarky issues because they are unable to RTFM or run binary with -h are getting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
not sure what the best worst programming font is, but consolas is the best one

e: I am an idiot

Xarn fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 9, 2017

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Bloody posted:

wingdings is pretty bad imo

worksforme maybe you're holding it wrong

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

right now i'm working on 3d refraction simulation in python using a kind of poorly documented triangular mesh library

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i do that sometimes too but i use poorly documented gpu things instead

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

not sure what the best programming font is, but consolas is the best one

i like fira code
https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Glorgnole posted:

right now i'm working on 3d refraction simulation in python using a kind of poorly documented triangular mesh library

can you link the library?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a good font. for idiots

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i also use this op (although lol @ the www ligature)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if theres one thing i want in a font its to make it even harder to distinguish (if x == 0) from (if x = 0)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

oh yeah the Jaguar also supported console linking

with a special cable you connected two consoles together, which let their DSPs communicate and linked their UARTs together. I think only like 3 games supported it, one of which was Doom, so you could do co-op or deathmatch with two consoles

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Bloody posted:

if theres one thing i want in a font its to make it even harder to distinguish (if x == 0) from (if x = 0)

this shouldn't be an issue in any non-trash language

so i guess what i'm saying is :rip:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

never an issue for me. i do hate every font with poorly distinguishable l and 1 though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this font sucks rear end

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

can you link the library?

it's trimesh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cheers

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i use fira code but i honestly dont like it that much. it's cool for the ligatures but it's bad as a font.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

thats the sort of stupid rear end font you make when you first hear ligatures are a thing and you want to just smash characters together for literally no reason

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

lmao if your lang lets you mix the two up. one is a statement one is an expression jeeeez

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bloody posted:

thats the sort of stupid rear end font you make when you first hear ligatures are a thing and you want to just smash characters together for literally no reason

tironian notes?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

St Evan Echoes posted:

source your smart quoates

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i use fira code but i honestly dont like it that much. it's cool for the ligatures but it's bad as a font.

honestly, i don't care for ligatures nowhere near as much as i like it as a font due to readability of characters

basically im turbo loving mad the moment i cant easily distinguish l and 1 and I

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

akadajet posted:

this font sucks rear end

I'd like it I'd it didn't have the stupid ligatures. I used it for mumps and it was great there but it fucks with visually parsing Java code because it replaces poo poo like != with some stupid crossed out equal sign.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

honestly, i don't care for ligatures nowhere near as much as i like it as a font due to readability of characters

basically im turbo loving mad the moment i cant easily distinguish l and 1 and I
sounds like a good use case for fira mono

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just use consolas nerds

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I wasn't aware that people used something other than consolas

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

I'd like it I'd it didn't have the stupid ligatures. I used it for mumps and it was great there but it fucks with visually parsing Java code because it replaces poo poo like != with some stupid crossed out equal sign.

fira code is fork of fira mono with ligatures - https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Fira+Mono there u go

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

consolas on windows, monaco on mac. easy.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

jony neuemonic posted:

consolas on windows, monaco on mac. easy.

what trash open source font should i use on linux?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i don't like l/1 in consolas

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

oh no blimp issue posted:

what trash open source font should i use on linux?

i've never been able to get anything to render acceptably, but deja vu is okay i guess?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

anthonypants posted:

sounds like a good use case for fira mono

also if you work in java with idea, you can just use fira code but disable the ligatures (i think). so far the ligatures haven't made me upset at any point so i don't care about them

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
IDEA ships with fira code but also lets you disable ligatures in your font even if the font supports them.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
with that said, the -> ligature is nice when working with lambdas

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bloody posted:

the ligature for == is significantly longer than the = character is; i've never once had a problem with this

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

with that said, the -> ligature is nice when working with lambdas

it's super nice in c++, as is the 0x ligature when doing stuff in hex

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

quiggy posted:

the ligature for == is significantly longer than the = character is; i've never once had a problem with this

i use `===` a lot in scala and it's ugly as gently caress. i also use =!= a lot and it doesn't have a mapping :(

• Locked thread