Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

and there's just no way SA is going to supply them nowadays.

Pretty much this -- when the game first launched there were a TON of goons who played (and AC was actually 95% goon only with 300 members) but the game sucked so bad back then most quit after a few weeks... game is FAR better now though so its a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

M. Night Skymall posted:

The best way to learn to ZvZ currently is to join a city discord and do bandits/redzone capping. People in the redzone are typically lower IP than blackzone, like T7E, which lowers the set cost down to under 500k, and you can easily regear yourself off of faction points from doing the content. If you buy chests with all your points it also gives great fame in the form of tomes.

That's what my main focus is lately, rz bandits. Just because rz bandits is a lot of fun and I'm slowly learning how to best position myself to where I can make an impact. Right now is learning how to not get bombed but stay within range. It's a lot of dying and a lot of laughing at what a shitshow it is. I enjoy it.

M. Night Skymall posted:

I think the bigger difference for large scales fights in this game compared to Eve is that low IP newbs in ZvZ are an actual drag on the rest of the players, because they increase disarray (a stacking debuff based on the number of allies in a zone), and then people get scaling resistances the more people are hitting them, and scaling healing sickness based on the number of people healing them, so you want fewer high IP players doing damage and fewer high IP players healing as a result. There're a few support builds where IP doesn't matter, but still it's a big issue compared to Eve where at least dragging a new player along isn't actively hurting you. I get why it's like that, it does a lot to mitigate the N+1 aspect of big fights in Eve, but it makes the game pretty new player unfriendly. There's also a bunch of queueing stuff that tries to balance the number of people in a zone, but the other things are a bigger factor in people not wanting people with low IP to come at all.

This is definitely true. Eve you could just throw Rifters at them till they break. From what I've seen as the noob in AO, you can rush your noobs into battle but a couple of bombers can just completely wipe them out in one go as we have trash IP. I'm not too sure of the scaling part yet. That's advanced mathematics for me atm. I will have to hopefully find a video/guide on how all the scaling systems work. I have heard about healing sickness, that's about it. I would say its a shame it's not as noob friendly but at the same time like you said, us noobs have the rz bandits and ZvZ is end game material. So I understand it's just how this game rolls. I look forward to getting into ZvZ at some stage but I'm aware I got ages to go first.

FormerFatty posted:

Definitely a lot to learn about in this game but the discord has pretty much all the info you need

Goonspeed. Glad we got a goon running the AO show.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

SkyEnzo posted:

That's what my main focus is lately, rz bandits. Just because rz bandits is a lot of fun and I'm slowly learning how to best position myself to where I can make an impact. Right now is learning how to not get bombed but stay within range. It's a lot of dying and a lot of laughing at what a shitshow it is. I enjoy it.

This is definitely true. Eve you could just throw Rifters at them till they break. From what I've seen as the noob in AO, you can rush your noobs into battle but a couple of bombers can just completely wipe them out in one go as we have trash IP. I'm not too sure of the scaling part yet. That's advanced mathematics for me atm. I will have to hopefully find a video/guide on how all the scaling systems work. I have heard about healing sickness, that's about it. I would say its a shame it's not as noob friendly but at the same time like you said, us noobs have the rz bandits and ZvZ is end game material. So I understand it's just how this game rolls. I look forward to getting into ZvZ at some stage but I'm aware I got ages to go first.

Goonspeed. Glad we got a goon running the AO show.

The sad thing is its really only because of the debuff for having lots of players(so lame considering its a open world pvp conquest game) so new players showing up actually hurt you instead of helping you -- it sucks ;(

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Just started playing. This game is super fun. Is ARCH still the organization to join? The Discord in the OP was dead, but the previous pages say ARCH is where people are ending up.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Just started playing. This game is super fun. Is ARCH still the organization to join? The Discord in the OP was dead, but the previous pages say ARCH is where people are ending up.

yeah it is -- apply in game to awful company 42069 and PM GluttonySDS#0952 on discord.. praise be

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Cool, done did it and messaged Gluttony

Edit: got denied, though I don't think Gluttony has logged on to check my messages

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 3, 2022

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

ShowTime posted:

Cool, done did it and messaged Gluttony

Edit: got denied, though I don't think Gluttony has logged on to check my messages

Yelling “I know the owner!” as the bouncer shoves you out the door.

Gluttony will most likely get you fixed up though.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Is it a SA only company? Because I just left SA and Discord details and if the person reviewing isn't from SA, it wouldn't make any sense.

Also it says to join the ARCH discord, but the link isn't working anymore. I searched for an alternative and it's using the same URL. I even tried as many versions of it I could. But it could be because I'm not in the ARCH Discord. All good, i'm not in a rush. Just grinding up fame and money at the moment.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey
Returning player from Beta and release. Haven't done anything since.

Applied in game but can't find the discord server to apply. I'll keep trying.

IGN: Darkken

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Sludge_McBain posted:

Returning player from Beta and release. Haven't done anything since.

Applied in game but can't find the discord server to apply. I'll keep trying.

IGN: Darkken

I'm Headshock in-game and Headshock#7342 in Discord, if you at least wanna run duos. Lots we can do as a couple right now it seems, so we might as well. I can hook you up with a decent 4.1 set at least so we can do some poo poo.

Deathbringers are so much fun, I just started playing them and they fit my preferred playstyle perfect. I've been leveling up a mix of Bloodletter, Bow of Badon and Demonic Staff, but I think i'm gonna focus on Deathbringers going forword, then get a healing setup going and then finish off the other weapons.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I play a healer mostly on great staff, if you ever wanna run group dungeons/arenas/hellgates or whatever my IGN is the same as here.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'd love to get a 5's together for arena. I've been having so much fun playing that. I'd run arena's all day if I could, for fame/silver. Seems they cap it at 3 victories, at least in non-ranked tier. Maybe we can get a little squad going of 3-5 players for whatever content fits.

I'll add you and maybe we'll do something later. I'm trying to stick to tier 4.1 ~ ish right now just to level spec and get gold.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey
Application declined!

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
I’m not in main arch anymore and I’m not sure how long this’ll stay active, but this is the discord:

https://discord.gg/archgayy

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Sludge_McBain posted:

Application declined!

It happens. Maybe i'll apply later. Hopefully me and the other goons in this thread can still play together.

Merton Blask posted:

I’m not in main arch anymore and I’m not sure how long this’ll stay active, but this is the discord:

https://discord.gg/archgayy

That link works. The extra 'y' did it. Maybe the old url got removed or banned or something?

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey
I must be missing something.

Looking to join Awful Company. I've applied but been declined. If someone can explain, in little words, what i need to do, that'd be awesome.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Off the URL in the Awful Company, they want you to join https://www.archgay.com Discord. It's actually that link posted earlier (https://discord.gg/archgayy). The URL in the info for Awful Company doesn't work. You also must register in the Arch discord, but you can't until you get into a guild.

If it sounds like i'm talking poo poo about the entire process, I am. I still wanna join, but what in the gently caress.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

You aren't going to be able to join Awful Company as new players. It was started by goons, hence the name, but other than Glut being the OP of this thread and leading ARCH/AC there's not much of a connection now. You can DM GluttonySDS#0952 on discord(as it says in the OP) and apply to "Awful Company 42069" and that should get you in, then you can register on the discord and do stuff in ARCH. It might take him a while to get to you. AC42069 doesn't have much of a guild identity though, just a place for newer players to get into the ARCH alliance. ARCH is a good alliance for new players to learn the game, but if you're hoping for something with Eve levels of getting goons into the game, it doesn't really exist for Albion.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Thanks for the info. I was mostly just looking to get into an org with friendly players with a pvp focus to help me with getting into the game. I might just look elsewhere, since I'm maybe not a big fan of the big orgs. When I asked for a guild here I wasn't really aware ARCH was as big as it was, but now that i'm playing more I realize just how huge they are.

But that info really helps explain whats going on and I thank you.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

ShowTime posted:

Thanks for the info. I was mostly just looking to get into an org with friendly players with a pvp focus to help me with getting into the game. I might just look elsewhere, since I'm maybe not a big fan of the big orgs. When I asked for a guild here I wasn't really aware ARCH was as big as it was, but now that i'm playing more I realize just how huge they are.

But that info really helps explain whats going on and I thank you.
Yeah, ARCH is huge. It does offer round the clock content though, but it can be hard to figure out wth is going on when you're new.

I'd recommend joining a faction discord and trying faction warfare, I'm in the Bridgewatch one and like it, but I think aside from Fort Sterling (which I hear is pretty dead at the moment) there should be an active community in any of them. BW Discord: https://discord.gg/9tdNr5V5Mr has links to all the other cities under #other-cities-discords. FW is nice because you can spend the points you earn on chests which takes some of the sting out of your deaths in the red zone, and you can get into yellow zone trainings for non-lethal PvP which can be helpful for just getting used to what large scale fights feel like and all the ways you can die.

Aside from that just getting into a 4.1 set for 40-50k silver and running around the black zone farming solo mobs and discovering the ways people will murder you is also helpful.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey
Really appreciate you taking the time to explain all that. Very helpful info. Helps make an informed decision.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea that was really helpful info. I wasn't sure what was going on now I know whats up with ARCH, etc, and got some tips on starting out. There are a ton of guides out there but I think the biggest thing I learned was using the runes to upgrade those cheap tier 4 sets into 4.1 or even 4.2. You still get a decent enough IP (item power, for the new people, like me, who recently learned that term and it's used ALOT) and it doesn't cost poo poo. You can do basically all content in 4.1 or 4.2, you just gotta level up your specialization points. It makes going for harder tier content affordable and rewarding.

I'm gonna try and join a smaller, more PvP focused guild, but it seems like they are harder to join. I really like arena and spend most of my time playing in it, while I go out and grind up gathering skills and kill the random mobs, waiting for a queue.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Yea that was really helpful info. I wasn't sure what was going on now I know whats up with ARCH, etc, and got some tips on starting out. There are a ton of guides out there but I think the biggest thing I learned was using the runes to upgrade those cheap tier 4 sets into 4.1 or even 4.2. You still get a decent enough IP (item power, for the new people, like me, who recently learned that term and it's used ALOT) and it doesn't cost poo poo. You can do basically all content in 4.1 or 4.2, you just gotta level up your specialization points. It makes going for harder tier content affordable and rewarding.

I'm gonna try and join a smaller, more PvP focused guild, but it seems like they are harder to join. I really like arena and spend most of my time playing in it, while I go out and grind up gathering skills and kill the random mobs, waiting for a queue.

Your best bet is to join any ARCH guild -- if you want one to experience the benefits of ARCH without any of the ZVZ requirements, just apply in game to Awful Company 42069 and I will accept provided you messaged me on discord as well.

M. Night Skymall posted:

Yeah, ARCH is huge. It does offer round the clock content though, but it can be hard to figure out wth is going on when you're new.

I'd recommend joining a faction discord and trying faction warfare, I'm in the Bridgewatch one and like it, but I think aside from Fort Sterling (which I hear is pretty dead at the moment) there should be an active community in any of them. BW Discord: https://discord.gg/9tdNr5V5Mr has links to all the other cities under #other-cities-discords. FW is nice because you can spend the points you earn on chests which takes some of the sting out of your deaths in the red zone, and you can get into yellow zone trainings for non-lethal PvP which can be helpful for just getting used to what large scale fights feel like and all the ways you can die.

Aside from that just getting into a 4.1 set for 40-50k silver and running around the black zone farming solo mobs and discovering the ways people will murder you is also helpful.

Thanks for your help!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

FormerFatty posted:

Your best bet is to join any ARCH guild -- if you want one to experience the benefits of ARCH without any of the ZVZ requirements, just apply in game to Awful Company 42069 and I will accept provided you messaged me on discord as well.

Yea I went ahead and applied. We messaged each other on Discord too.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Did anyone happen to catch the CLC semi-finals today? I know most people don't care about them, but I have an interest in arenas and wanted to watch. It was a complete travesty. The winning makeup is (and maybe you all already know this) is a team of 2 healers, you just get 1 kill and either 2 nodes or 1 node, with at least 1 neutral. Then you just outlast. Sometimes the winning team is able to get some extra kills and it goes a little faster, but a majority of the matches went to 20+ minutes. I think one of them went the full 25 minutes and ended like 149 - 143 or something.

At the end the teams running this makeup were just playing paper, rock, scissors while the commentors tried to keep chat interested. Everyone, announcers and casters included, at least noted how they have to change something. Tomorrow has at least 2 teams using that makeup in it, so it's gonna be much of the same.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

You can't actually run 2 healers in crystal arena/league because it gives you a healing debuff. I think they might have had an arcane running the shield Q instead of damage and double tank or something, but the real issue is that being able to back cap forces one person on each side to sit on a mount to protect/threaten the back cap. This means that the middle is a 4v4 and if you run a very defensive 4 man comp the other 4 people just can't do enough damage to secure a kill so you stalemate forever. The match then devolves into the first team to get a kill or cap swaps to the tanky unkillable comp and just plays not to die or let the other team take a cap back and they win.

Pretty lovely matches for sure.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Ahhh, even by switching gear you can't switch to a second healer? They were doing a lot of equipment swaps today. The matches were better and not as much just stalling for a win. Even the matches that went very long were pretty good. The team that ended up winning, Mitos, almost got knocked to loser bracket but the other team, Purple something, messed up a bit, lost a point and Mitos ended up coming back from about 8 points to 140 something. They won with only 2 points and it was crazy hectic. Then, Purple made it back to grand finals, was winning again, but Mitos ended up coming back from about 50 to 143 to win that one super tight as well. In the next game, Mitos must have completely demoralized Purple because they soundly won.

Wasn't a bad day of matches. It's insane thinking about how much silver they win. Each skin is like 4billion silver, so they are basically set for silver for a very long time. But it's also crazy to think about how much silver they end up losing just for participating. Since it's lethal, everytime they die they lose that gear and they are rocking like 8.3 and 8.4, which is just left on the ground. Billions and billions lost. I'm sitting here struggling to stay in decent gear and 1 item they have is worth everything i've made since I started.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

They only wear 8.4 capes, every thing else is T8 equivalent. For the championship there's a hard IP cap of 1500. If you have max spec for an item then T8 equivalent will get you to 1500, but capes don't benefit from spec, so to get to a 1500 IP cape you need 8.4, or I guess 8.3 masterpiece. Just the cape's like 8mil, but the rest of the set's probably ~1mil.

You can run 2 healers in crystal league, but if you both heal the same person they get a hefty healing debuff applied so it's way less effective (And probably a death sentence for that person since the other team will notice at that level.) They were basically running 1h arcane as a secondary healer with shields though, which aren't affected by the debuff. The meta's dumb right now, but I thought the matches still turned out pretty good the second day. They're in an awkward position because the current map with the back capping leads to degenerate rat play, but it's not like anyone is looking to watch the 5v5 hellgate championships either.

They should probably make the capping system proximity based (or change the map to be linear or change it up entirely..), I'm not sure having the meta revolve around being able to hit someone to stop a channel from far away every 7.4 seconds is all that great, or having a 4v4 and a 1v1. I dunno though, I feel like hellgates kind of cover the 5v5 meta so having arenas be more about multiple smaller fights would be cool if they could get it right. Hard to get right though.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Made a rookie mistake and went to Brecilien without realizing you couldn't leave easily. You can travel planner, but you gotta be naked. And i'm not knowledgeable enough to navigate the map back without dying and losing my best set of gear. So I ended up banking it, traveling back and am using basic poo poo again to work my way back up.

Lesson learned, but man this game can be rough sometimes.

Charity Porno
Aug 2, 2021

by Hand Knit
Logged on the first time since a month after launch. I'm on my own island with a bunch of food and I'm too heavy to move without my pack mount. I have literally no idea what to do lol

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I just got into Awful Company and went to check out the island to see that it's not being used. Anyway I could build it up? I see the guild bank has like 27m in it, which can fund the build up. Who do I talk to about that?

I realize Awful Company is just a holding corp, but there is also 27m just sitting there doing nothing.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

gay for sex... with me?
The Arch alliance functions as a giant umbrella of guilds that all do different things well. I’m not sure what exactly you’d be looking to have the island do, but check in the discord’s economics/crafting/market channels.

Those tabs should be able to direct you to whichever Arch Island that already has whatever you need set up to max level and capacity. No real need to duplicate set-ups if they can just do it once and give everybody access.

E: also they just changed Brec to allow you to use the travel planner with your gear on. I don’t know how expensive it’ll be (and for gods sake don’t try to move resources or journals), but it’s gotta be cheaper than buying a new set.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Are journals still a thing? If you really want to do island stuff look into islands with laborers. I haven’t done it in like a year but you used to be able to make a few mil a week using personal island as laborer sweatshops. Each tailoring journal would refine at a small profit when you had all the right laborer levels and crafting buffs. You can basically scale it infinitely by making a new alt, creating a guild and buying an island, giving your main full building rights, and then deleting the alt. You want the guild hall and not a personal island because it uses the furniture buffs more efficiently and makes it much easier to collect/deposit materials when you have 15 laborers in a line instead of a bunch of suffering houses with 3 each.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

gay for sex... with me?
Ahh, they nerfed that pretty heavily earlier this year. Crafting journals take more items to fill now, so the cost of filled journals went up to match and it chopped the margins pretty severely.

They’ll still get you safe silver on the regular, but for most of us the time factor alongside the diminished profits made having multiple guild islands worth of laborers too much of a hassle. (And since nobody was making tons of guild islands on alts anymore, the price of stone cratered too.)

If you’re crafting yourself there’s no reason not to maintain a couple laborers for the journals you’re filling yourself, but I can’t really recommend going beyond what you can self-sustain these days.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've got a tier 5 island now, but I don't have the money to get it going further. I kind of hit a plateau when it comes to making money. I've basically gotta start venturing into the red/black zones to progress, but when I go there I find people in 8.3 with 3500+ hp to my 2500hp. And they prey on people like me, because even using just 4.1, my total value adds up to about 300k-400k and that's an easy kill for them.

I've been looking into other ways to make money and people have recommended faction warfare, so I might try that. Just go as a healer in 4.1 or whatever and use the points to buy stuff and sell. I really just wanna get like 10m so I have a safety net where i'm not stressed about going into a lethal zone and dying.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

ShowTime posted:

I just got into Awful Company and went to check out the island to see that it's not being used. Anyway I could build it up? I see the guild bank has like 27m in it, which can fund the build up. Who do I talk to about that?

I realize Awful Company is just a holding corp, but there is also 27m just sitting there doing nothing.

Haha 42069 is a holding corp. but Awful Company is a real guild -- we dont use the island because.... its a waste of $$ to build poo poo on there generally.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

ShowTime posted:

I've got a tier 5 island now, but I don't have the money to get it going further. I kind of hit a plateau when it comes to making money. I've basically gotta start venturing into the red/black zones to progress, but when I go there I find people in 8.3 with 3500+ hp to my 2500hp. And they prey on people like me, because even using just 4.1, my total value adds up to about 300k-400k and that's an easy kill for them.

I've been looking into other ways to make money and people have recommended faction warfare, so I might try that. Just go as a healer in 4.1 or whatever and use the points to buy stuff and sell. I really just wanna get like 10m so I have a safety net where i'm not stressed about going into a lethal zone and dying.

Pretty sure using your focus to graft, do island work, or refine etc is one of the more gauranteed ways to get a solid income stream...

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

causticBeet posted:

Are journals still a thing? If you really want to do island stuff look into islands with laborers. I haven’t done it in like a year but you used to be able to make a few mil a week using personal island as laborer sweatshops. Each tailoring journal would refine at a small profit when you had all the right laborer levels and crafting buffs. You can basically scale it infinitely by making a new alt, creating a guild and buying an island, giving your main full building rights, and then deleting the alt. You want the guild hall and not a personal island because it uses the furniture buffs more efficiently and makes it much easier to collect/deposit materials when you have 15 laborers in a line instead of a bunch of suffering houses with 3 each.

They nerfed journals/laborers pretty significantly in the past year :(

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

FormerFatty posted:

Pretty sure using your focus to graft, do island work, or refine etc is one of the more gauranteed ways to get a solid income stream...

Yea i've been looking into it more and more, leveling up my laborers and just trying to figure things out. I know not to use focus to water plants. And I have been leveling up my gathering to use. I eventually want to turn my island into a little farming/crafting machine. Just trying to focus on getting some weapon/armor specs up right now so I can more efficiently farm and in the event I find a group to play with and do stuff, I have an adequately leveled build. I'm hoping that i'll eventually break this plateau I'm in and the money just starts to stream in. I think the most i've made in a single outing is 400k, but then after repairs, accounting for food used, I barely make half that.

Edit: I did manage to get my first PvP kill going to a black zone in 4.1. Went into a solo dungeon to kill stuff (was going afk back and forth cooking so wanted some safety) and someone else ended up being in there. Decided to see who it was and it was some guy in Tier 7/Tier 8. He had about 500IP on me, but i'm certain he was on mobile just doing "safe" farming with maps and I ended up wrecking him. Didn't make too much, but it was a nice 400k ish and I got some gear i'll eventually use.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone still playing? I've been having fun with it still. They are about to announce the console version and we'll see how that improves players, but it looks like there are about 2 million players. Seems pretty healthy to me.

BTW I did leave Awful Company 42069, because the taxes were killing me, but I ended up in N E M E S I S, so i'm still in Arch.