Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
What are currently considered the most obnoxious/OP builds/gear? Just starting, game seems pretty drat fun, and I definitely want to orient myself in the direction of being an absolute nuisance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Looking for that good invite -

IG - BANNED4BIGPP
Discord - chugtheworld#8955

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
What’s the general etiquette for looting in ZvZ and gank squads? Sounds like ZvZ is FFA (as long as you’re there participating) and squads will be different based on the group?

Are the healing/locust builds pinned anywhere in disc or on a website somewhere?

I’ve got a t4 frost mage spec and t4 doubleblade staff spec, just got T5 reaver last night. Just about feeling ready to get into the black zone stuff, I’ll probably hoof out to GMK tonight (is that still the main staging place).

How feasible is it for a new player in ARCH to solely focus on PVP? The crafting stuff seems neat but in a PVP MMO id prefer to do as little PVE as required - hoping my plan of buying a few sets and rolling from there will work out.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Matty posted:

i have posted builds in the zvz builds (#zvz-builds-and-gear-here-queer) channel using my incredibly scuffed and non-existant graphic art skills, just scroll up.

Based - the newbie (<1100 ip) heals info graphic for healers doesn’t call out food - I assume this will generally be per event? I was idling in disc for some of last nights activities and it seemed like they were calling out specific foods determined at the time of the raid.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
dO yOu HaVe STAiRS

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Kakiro posted:

Kind of interested in starting, as I'm in the book for something more sandboxy. I recognize some of the names, is it the same leadership from Darkfall? Also, how hard is it for a new player to get in and get caught up to help stomp on people?

I was able to get involved in gank squads and Zerg vs Zerg stuff on like.... day 2. It seems like there is a contingency of pubbie chuds looking to call out lower gear dudes in guild battles, but you will generally get gear checked before you go out and if the leader of the raid has an actual issue with your gear level they can call it out there. For gank squads it doesn’t seem like it really matters, I’ve been rocking a double bladed staff for stun and utility so it doesn’t matter as much if I’m not making GBS threads out damage.

There are some tier 5/6 zones around the territory that have seemed to work out decently for solo farming. My general approach has been to chill mostly in the black zone for alliance activities / fame farming, then suicide back and forth between the black zone and the royal continent to take time leveling my gathering and crafting abilities in the blue and yellow zones.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'm doing the little Focus tutorial out of Highland Cross, and the NPC says that you should choose a particular crafting discipline to specialize in. I suppose this is so you're not spreading learning points around too much. Should I be specializing in crafting the gear that I personally use? For that matter, how much am I screwing myself if I opt to use different kinds weapons and armors? Should I be specializing that kind of thing asap? I've been sword+board while learning, and I like that. Mace looks like it has fun skills for powering up the group, so I wanted to try that. I also thought I'd give healing staffs a try.

You will probably out level your crafting ability pretty quickly so I wouldn’t recommend it. You will definitely hamstring yourself if you try to keep pace with both weapon and armor crafting. I’m doing cloth armor crafting and bags, having started with that same intention, and after a couple weeks I can wear t6 but still only efficiently craft T4. A lot of the money in crafting comes from focus return rate efficiency, so just because you can technically make something doesn’t mean it’s cost effective. It’s probably best off to choose the crafting professions that are bonused in whatever city you plan on living in - Martlock if you’re planning to join awful company.

It doesn’t seem to penalize you too hard for spreading out your spec - I’ve gone down 3 or 4 different paths to get started. I’m leveling a PVE build, a zvz heal build, a solo gank build, and a group gank build. There ends up being a lot of overlap because a lot of the time you end up mixing and matching different armor types (for example both gank builds use different combos of plate/leather/cloth) and it seems like they all tend to even out eventually. Its not explicitly “casters wear ONLY cloth, melee dps wears ONLY leather” since a lot of the time you’re picking off-type pieces for a really strong skill (for example hunter hood and soldier boots on a solo gank caster build for the excellent reflect and run skills). If you plan on playing hyper focused it’s probably more efficient to focus on one primary thing, but I’ve found myself enjoying trying out a bunch of different weapons and armor builds, and what I thought I would enjoy focusing on day 1 definitely isn’t what I’m enjoying 2 weeks in.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Christopher posted:

I havent played this game in over a year. Been console gaming for the past year and a half or so. Just recently picked up another gaming PC and downloaded Albion. I was top tier when I played (although I didn't play with the goon crew). Is it worth getting back in right now or should I wait until some upcoming patch situation. Seems a bit overwhelming already as I have no idea what to do to get back into the game, what builds are good, etc etc. Help me out goons! <3

ninja edit: My in game name is Kristofer. I also registered in the Discord but don't seem to have access yet.

Seems like there’s a bunch of wars / civil wars popping off so there’s definitely Stuff To Do TM. The next patch has some cool content as well like EVE wormholes and 1v1 dark souls style invasion dungeons

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

apseudonym posted:

What's the difference between the various AC guilds? Seems like most the folks are in AC or 42069

Also is there anyone who wouldn't mind me pming them ingame sometime with some :shobon: as hell questions

message banned4bigpp on discord I’m only a few months in but feel like I generally understand the games mechanics and I’m happy to help offer some “wtf do I do as noob in arch” advice

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Aster0ids posted:

Im probably doing something wrong XD

I cant figure out the discord link, some people posting oh silly me! after figuring it out. Still have no clue how to get on there.

Discord link on page 1 broken for me, skimmed the last 5 pages for a link, nada.

No idea if this will work cause I neither own nor administer the discord but it let me create a link to the recruitment channel - https://discord.gg/8AgXkk

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Aster0ids posted:

Im having a blast playing this game, i get vibes like the first time i played EQ or eve online, dont get that often.

I gasped when i realized this is the map, not the starter continent, which i thought was the whole game https://www.albiononline2d.com/en/map

Question, i see in discord these mandatory zvz roams, i went there for the first time yesterday at the Red Tree hideout. Im still working my way to the zvz templates, am i excluded from that mandatoryness till i can wear the templates and replace them or should i stay in the safe zones till then? Because its faster to xp in the black zones and get coin.

For zvz, if you are under 1100ip in a given set you will want to stick to a support role - check out the healer and zvz locus builds/templates. If people give you poo poo, but you have the correct build, point out the fact that you’re brand new and tell them to eat your rear end. People get weird about this, but it’s well meant due to the way the debuff mechanic works (more allies in a zone gives you a flat decrease to damage/healing), so a brand new dude in low tier gear is a net negative if they are using a pure dps build. Personally I find locus more fun than healing, the utility of your weapon doesn’t really scale with IP, so you get the benefit (huge fuckoff aoe purge) even with very low skills.

For brand new dudes gank roams are definitely the most fun content though, and you can make stupid good money if you manage to loot any kills. These are way less gear intensive, and it’s more important that you have items good for catching and dismounting people (so they can get smashed by your 20+ man party) than it is that that gear is high level/ip

We have a pretty constant homeland defense party going in NA TZ - keep an eye out in alliance for people x’ing up for gank. If you see a bunch of people in the redtree defense channel in discord you can also pop in and ask what’s going on. I think there’s a gank builds channel on discord as well.

I really enjoy playing double bladed staff in gank, which has a ton of stun and mobility. Combine this with guardian armor + fiend cowl (invis reveal and purge, great for nuking enemies boots/defensive skills and loving over demon boot / undead cape fuccbois) and you will be securing kills like a boss in no time

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 3, 2020

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Had a poo poo ton of fun roaming the roads last night with the AC krew. My only complaint is there are so many of the 2 man portals, but there seems to be enough of the 7 man portals that you can reasonably run that group size. Lots of cool small scale PVP engagements, and actually fun gathering content. Can definitely see these continuing to be a fun way to balance out some of the mass zvz and gank content.

While roads are missing some of the key mechanics that made EVE Wormholes what they were, there’s enough there to make them super fun content.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Game is fun as hell. The above description is pretty accurate - it reminds me a lot of a young eve online that’s actually fun to play with regards to actually doing poo poo with your character.

Some of the recent changes to PVE dungeon mechanics make it easier than ever to get started + fast track to having useful skill levels, so anyone on the fence should definitely check it out. The game is currently in between seasons so it’s a nice downtime to pick poo poo up and learn before the next turbo-war inevitably kicks off.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
tfw you rip off wormholes but forget to add the defining features that made wormholes interesting, then ban the tools that people used to make it possible to actually live in wormholes

They’re fun as hell for daytripping, but until they add rolling and mapping there’s literally no reason to live in the roads

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

FormerFatty posted:

I never played EVE but does it have built in mapping of their avalonian roads equivalent?

Not built in, but there were a few different web apps that you’d log into with your eve credentials and it would map any connection you jumped through into a shared map as well as show the current location of anyone else in your group.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 23, 2020

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think it would depend a lot on the matchup. Does the small group have purges, CC, heals etc? You’ll have a pretty decent advantage in high tier gear, but if the 4.1 dudes have a good comp and use skills competently they should probably smack. People die in Redtree in high IP PVE sets all day long.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
unironic gay rp is the arch way

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

vandalism posted:

Anyone have any advice on how to spend my learning points and focus? I would like to do a bit of everything... do pve alright, have a chill island with farms, and do some crafting.

Can i grow veggies and make food and do potions simultaneously or do i need to pick like one thing?

Can i use multiple weapon types and armor, or do I need to pick just one?

I like arena but I just hit t4 in all stuff and am trying various combos but feel very ineffective. I was healing with a holy staff and a guy kept saying report me for not being 4.3 only 4.0, which is I guess runes.

What should I do from getting all weapons and armor from t4? Game is confusing.

Conventional wisdom for learning points is to save them for the gathering skills that effect tiers you can harvest - the big jumps in the tree.

For potions, you’ll need herbs and foods and stuff for downstream crafting steps, so it makes sense to produce some of those yourself. You’ll still need to probably end up buying some stuff on the market anyways, so go with whatever. This is definitely a good place to whip up a spreadsheet to track profitability. In general, for crafting its best to specialize, but as long as you’re tracking your profits to ensure your actually making money + gaining fame, who cares.

For combat, getting everything to t4 is pretty low effort, so I’d recommend doing that to get a feel for the weapon types and figure out which ones you enjoy.

After that, it is super beneficial to pick at least one PVE farming build and specialize in that. When you max out a tree and continue to get XP in it, that fame is allocated as “fame credits” which are basically free xp that you can allocate as you wish. In general it’s best to get one efficient farming set maxed out and then use the free credits to spec up other trees. Popular choices are great axe, baddon now, and perma frost.

You should also pick one zvz build (check the #zvz-builds channel in discord) and focus on getting good spec in that. You want to have 1100-1200 IP in a zvz set at the very least, so the higher your spec the easier it is to get there. It can feel really slow and painful at first, especially before you get a build that generates fame credits, but once you start cruising it moves fast. Pick something that has some synergy with your PVE build - either using the exact same items or same “type” - ie if you’re using a great axe to farm, use halberd for zvz. Or gently caress it, just pick halberd anyways because halberd owns.

You’ll find that there’s a lot of cross over on builds, so once you get into a good place for one PVE build and one ZVZ build (and are rolling in fame credits) it will be easy to transition into other builds.

You should pick out a gank build that you like and make sure you have a few sets on hand. IP/spec is way less important here - ganking is always some 10v1 poo poo, so overall “power” is less important than having stun and utility for securing dismounts and kills. Popular options here are doublebladed staff and 1h frost.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 2, 2020

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Elmon posted:

I've been just doing the corrupted dungeons with the zvz recommended except for a different weapon to fame farm it up. Is that worse then going to T8?

This is what I bring which I assume is sufficicient enough for those t8 dungeons.

Also, what is R3? I haven't joined a zvz yet as I'm nervous to mess it up with most pings on Discord being around someone being fined for messing up.

I think the top level corrupted dungeon (slayer) is supposed to be some of the best fame farming in the game, so if you’re enjoying that I’d say stick with it. You’ll have lots of opportunities to do the “end game” PVE in arch like Avalonian dungeons and group maps, but there’s definitely an appeal to CD which are dope solo farming, no map fees, scout fees, IP nazis, form up channels etc.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
https://discord.gg/DqW2Bpy will maybe work? It shows as a valid invite in the discord client

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Mexplosivo posted:

Joined that discord.

id Mexplosivo#8882

KidAfrika ingame if i can get an invite please.

Started playing this like a week ago. Already have t4 gear unlocked and am trying to do daily dungeon and daily arenas as a minimum to build up on silver and more importantly tomes. I usually have to do 3, 4 arenas for each win and this is just not going to cut it. I'm hoping there's an arena chat or something where i can find people to play with. Gotta get those tomes.

You can do the mid tier corrupted dungeons (stalker) in cheap 4.1 gear and you’ll get way more fame doing that for 30 minutes than you will for a few days worth of arena but still get some PvP action. They can be really good money too once you start winning fights, and you might lose a bunch at the start while you figure out the meta, once it clicks they get way easier. For a dungeon that takes 10 minutes, I probably make somewhere between 300k and 600k each dungeon, sometimes up to 1m depending on loot dice rolls and the value of whatever gear drops from the dude you kill.

https://youtu.be/BGKmuQyXvU0 is a pretty decent video showing a few cheap builds with explanations of how to play them

I find most of the fame farming in this game pretty awful, but corrupted dungeons absolutely own and are by far my favorite way to do something resembling productive fame farming while still getting to PvP.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Healing and Locus are the builds that are generally recommended for lower spec players. It’s always good to have more healers, and locus is powerful even at lower IP because the weapons unique E only scales cool down reduction as spec increases. Personally I find locus way more fun to play than heals, and will take less overall investment to be impactful/useful.

The biggest penalty you will face when you have lower skills is that your hp pool will be tiny and you will be aggressively punished for getting caught out of position. Your chest armor is the biggest factor here, so that’s probably the most important piece to prioritize getting some spec in. Weapons are also important since they will scale up damage and unlock different abilities.

It is recommended that you stick to the “approved builds,” and they tend to be good builds tailored for survivability/utility, which is what is important in large scale black zone ZVZ. With that said, the only real punishment for not doing so is getting snark on discord.

In terms of running solo content as a healer, you can, but not very well. If you must, the nature staffs are probably best due to the thorns ability. You would be better off focusing first on getting a PVE build to 100 mastery, which will farm fame credits efficiently, and then using this to allocate free XP into weapons and armor that isn’t as good for PVE content. Great axe is the popular suggestion here, but honestly you can use a bunch of different weapons and armor combos and do just fine.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Stereo posted:

Very useful thank you, that great holy build is what im running for arenas albeit only T4.1 . Will look at some alternative PvE builds to great axe as I've seen that and spinning around like a Beyblade just doesn't appeal to me. Last time I played I remember enjoying spear so I'll look at that + I've seen people use some kind of rapier(bloodletter?) I'm 5v5 and that looks really fun.

Not entirely sure in what to do currently other than the 5v5s. I suppose once I settle on a PvE build I grind that up to TV in yellow zone solo(green?) Dungeons? Or does gear tier +1 not apply for non healing Solo/PvE builds?

Sorry if these are basic questions and while there is endless YouTube videos out there I'd rather get advice from you lot. I'll probably be bugging whatever the newbie channel in discord is once I get accepted in-game and get roles!

I’d say run yellow zone dungeons until you can use tier 5.1 gear and are comfortable clearing them in whatever set you are using. Then you can move out to our black zone base in Redtree Enclave. Redtree itself is a tier 8 zone, but has a few adjacent tier 5/6/7 zones which you can work through and do green dungeons (random solo dungeons) as you skill up. You get a % bonus to fame and loot in the black zone, so it’s always better to farm there if you can, even with the risk of getting ganked.

It’s very difficult to get ganked in solo dungeons now since the entrance disappears 90 seconds after you enter. What most people do in the black zone is idle at the front of the dungeon and watch a timer - if someone enters you just exit and run to a hideout or different zone.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Stereo posted:

Absolutely, the only reason I want to do PvE is to get enough fame etc for PvP. I have no interests in it other than that haha. Will hop in the R3 defense channel later and see whats happening, will look at some basic gank builds too.

If you primarily are interested in PVP content I can’t stress the corrupted dungeons enough - a bit earlier in this thread I posted a good YouTube video that goes over some of the cheap builds and their general play styles.

It’s really decent fame farming even at the mid tier (stalker) and is super fun because you get a guaranteed 1v1 fight, good loot, and a great opportunity to get familiar with different skills/cool downs/mechanics. I can’t stand the usual PVE content in this game so CD is my go to. It’s also super bite sized content, with an average stalker dungeon taking about 10 minutes (including the fight + finishing the boss) so it’s perfect if you’re not looking to sit down for a long play session.

You will probably get owned a lot a first, but once you figure out your build and get in the swing of things it’s pretty easy to maintain a decent win rate - im a trash player using a non-S tier meta build (1h curse mercenary jacket) and I can maintain around a 70% win rate.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Virigoth posted:

Why are fletcher labourers so popular? Is it because they’re the only one that gives back leather? Is that such a big deal? I’ve been using imbuer and they give nice returns and am just wondering about the meta labourers.

I think this is basically the jist of it - leather is relatively difficult to gather because not only are you clicking on a gathering node, but you have to kill something first which takes more time.

I think imbuers are considered pretty good too - for a while I was running ~100 imbuer laborers a day (mix of t4 and t5 journals) and it was a pretty decent profit for a small amount of time.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Pandaal posted:

How do people do multiple islands? Just use alts?

You don’t even need to keep the character that you crate the guild/island with. Once you buy the guild island on an alt and give your main character (or ideally a secondary character that you use just for running laborers) the appropriate island access, you can just delete the guild/island owner. You won’t be able to upgrade the island any more, but that doesn’t matter since you just want it for the guild hall anyways, which is available on a level one guild island.

Guild halls are vastly preferable to personal islands for laborers. You can slam 15 into one big house instead of having a bunch of them spread out which saves you a lot of time. It’s also a bit more efficient with furniture bonuses because a single table will satisfy 5 laborers, which leaves you with unused table slots if you’re just using houses on a personal island. Biggest benefit though is that you can make a guild island without premium, only need ~200k to start a guild and buy the island.

Only other tip would be to use the mobile client, which is way faster for the act of actually giving the laborers journals/collecting returns.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Virigoth posted:

Why wouldn’t I want to upgrade the guild island to 6 and have all the houses filled with labourers? 42per island seems better than just 15. Maybe it is a cost : convenience thing?

Because it’s way faster to run down a line of 15 laborers than it is to run around between a bunch of houses of 3. I’m not sure how the costs work out but I assume it’s similar to personal islands where they scale exponentially - but even if they didn’t, the simplicity and efficiency of furniture usage would make it still better to only use the hall.

For more detail on the furniture - a table supplies happiness to 6 laborers within the same building. This means you will always have some “wasted” furniture capacity, but it’s much better to have 3 tables for 15 laborers in one building (3 “slots” wasted) vs 5 tables for 15 laborers in 3 buildings (9 “slots” wasted)

Other note here is that all relies on buying the filled journals, processing them with the laborers, and then either selling (or crafting with) the returned materials and selling the empty journal. When you start to get up to higher counts of laborers it’s not feasible to supply your own journals, and opportunity cost is always a thing, so make sure you’re doing the math there. Generally you always want to do mass-laborers with crafting journals, since they are much easier to fill and tend to have more reasonable prices.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

baby delivery truck posted:

Makes sense, thank you. That also means I should continue selling the tomes of insight I find, right? Or if I'm wearing gathering clothes will the tomes boost gathering XP?

Gathering XP can only be boosted with learning points, wearing the gear and consuming tomes will not level it like
It will with any combat gear.

It’s pretty common advice to recommend “use learning points on gathering” because it’s definitely an efficient way to spend them, but I think it’s over-suggested. Unless you really enjoy gathering it’s probably not worth it.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

idiotsavant posted:

I mean, it was a nearly unplayable slideshow last night. If I wasn’t just starting on low level solo dungeon BS I would have been playing something else, because gently caress losing your poo poo to servers on fire.

Is this kind of lag pretty typical for peak times etc, or is it usually decent? I don’t particularly feel the urge to replay EvE fleet battles where you warp in, get a tackle, and then endlessly spin in frozen space for 15 minutes.

US east, I’ve never had lag issues even in large fights in zones where the player cap has been reached. I’d you have an older CPU you will chug, but not related to networking traffic.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

idiotsavant posted:

Not the cpu; I built the computer last April and it runs everything else just fine. Last night was constant lag spikes, disconnects, server interruptions etc. Internet was working just dandy on my end, had no issues with other programs/games.

Oh it’s entirely possible that their recent mobile launch entirely hosed everything up - I just meant that in general, prior to this, lag has never really been an issue

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I don’t know if the meta has shifted, I haven’t played a bit, but I had really good luck maintaining ~70% win rate in CD with 1h curse. Stalker is more fun IMO, with slayer generally having more “meta” builds that are annoying to play against. Stalker was still anywhere from 500k->2m for a very fast run.

1h cursed staff, Hunter hood, merc jacket, guardian boots, Hunter hood, thereford cape, normal shield offhand. Use stew and poison potion for consumables, pref t8 (only bring a few poisons for each run). Running at 4.1 or 5.1 depending on your spec will get you to the IP cap of stalker really easily for cheap money, with the cape and the poisons being the most expensive part of the kit.

Don’t use the poisons until the enemy has used all their defensives and will eat a full damage curse E (usually the second one). Use the root W for spacing and getting curse stacks. Use your jacket/helmet cool down when the enemy wants to commit and be careful of purges. If you’re fighting an annoying kiting build try to bait them into traps by hanging out @ low HP and rooting them nearby.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Crell posted:

A bunch of people from our Eve Echos Corp started playing AO this week, since a lot of other people in Echoes seemed to have started playing too. We have our own little guild and have been having a good time messing about. I think we're going to try doing some small gang pvp tonight in lovely gear to get a feel for that part of the game. Any tips for us from some of the bitter vets?

Target T7/T8 zones close to the portals and keep moving. Spend a few minutes in t8 zones trying to watch for people panic leaving dungeons, but generally if you find an empty zone just go next. Have everyone bring a bunch of t8 poisons (different level poison effects won’t stack). Pony up for fast mounts - swift claws - even if it’s the most expensive part of your build

For gear bring whatever ganking stuff you like - double bladed staff and 1h frost are the best weapons for dismounting. Blood letter is a trap and anyone who ganks with a BL is either god tier or absolutely useless and just trying to be the first on the corpse for loot. Graveguard armors special ability, the chain pull is really useful. You definitely want to have a few people with fiend cowl so you can purge targets’ mobility skills and a few people with stalker hood or guardian armor so you can break invis.

Besides that the most important thing is making sure you spread out and try to get cut offs - if everyone chases the dude you want to gank they’ll just run away - it’s really really important that people try to get ahead of exits or choke points and be ready to throw poisons/stuns to dismount. It takes a bit of experience to know when you can dismount next to someone who is mounted and be able to catch up to attack them, but it’s very possible.

If you have more than like 10 people bring some utility/zvz sets to swap into - a few healing staffs, locus, poo poo like that. If you find yourself against a larger group swap to your zvz sets and try to stay organized

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 24, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Khorne posted:

sbi should start banning people with impersonation guild/alliance names

not because it's a big deal, but because it would be extremely funny watching people complain endlessly about 3/7/30 day or whatever bans on reddit & the forums

This is actually hilarious and the salt from people dumb enough to fall for JARCHKI and get in some big mood where they are very upset that the alliance does not exist to prevent them personally from being ganked while doing PVE is way better and more consistent

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

FormerFatty posted:

I wanted to make sure this essay was preserved for all of history

What is ARCH up to these days? Has AC purged the weird PVE clique stuff? Is there NA 03/05 ZVZ? Heard Red Tree was lost but tbh Arthur’s rest is way cooler anyways.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Are journals still a thing? If you really want to do island stuff look into islands with laborers. I haven’t done it in like a year but you used to be able to make a few mil a week using personal island as laborer sweatshops. Each tailoring journal would refine at a small profit when you had all the right laborer levels and crafting buffs. You can basically scale it infinitely by making a new alt, creating a guild and buying an island, giving your main full building rights, and then deleting the alt. You want the guild hall and not a personal island because it uses the furniture buffs more efficiently and makes it much easier to collect/deposit materials when you have 15 laborers in a line instead of a bunch of suffering houses with 3 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
ARCH is like 90% SEA fame farmers who would rather loot your corpse during zvz than press buttons on the enemy. The trick to finding the chill and cool people (which there are plenty of, and always new ones joining) will always be to attend the elective PVP poo poo like homeland defense, ad hoc gank squads, and faction fights. I haven’t played in forever and I definitely remember having similar frustrations with the vast majority of the player base, but with so many people overall you could almost always just join the standing discord comms and find someone doing something fun (or just run CD until you do).