Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Rudy Anderson > 34 / 34 HP > 32 / 32 EP > 16 Speed
With the immediate danger having passed, there was a decision to be made, and it was one they needed to make fairly quickly. He looks at the body, and then to the others in the room, and asks plainly: "I ...can't explain what just happened. Whatever did just happen, people aren't going to believe it if we tell them. What we're left with is a mutilated body, carved and hammered to bits by weapons and tools half the people here are carrying. Which begs the question ...are we... going to report this to the police?"
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Strength (+3) / Constitution (+3) / Willpower (+3) / Dexterity (+5) / Intelligence (+5) / Perception (+5)
Skill (+1) [Tech]: Craft / Computers / Electronics / Mechanic / Driving / Piloting
Skill (+1) [Social]: Bureaucracy / Haggling / Intimidation / Questioning
Skill (+1) [Knowledge]: First Aid / Humanities / Instruction / Research
Skill (+5): Notice / Smooth Talking / Science
Skill (+7): Science (chemistry)
Inventory: Backpack / Sleeping Bag / Flashlight / Multitool / First Aid Kit / $105 / Cell Phone / Key Ring

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mick
30/30 Life, 32/32 End, 20/20 Ess, 12 SPD
.38 Pistol (5/7) [49]

"No." Mick's response is sharp, hard-edged. This is not something up for debate, and now that he's got a practical problem in front of him to dissect, the 'stupid stoner' can start putting the pieces together. Imagining that it is a horror movie, or close enough to it, lays the answers out bare.

"That fucker upstairs Is some kind of EMT or something. Whatever happened to Bobby happened to him too." And the boar as well, though he hasn't seen that yet, "So it's gotta be happening to other people. Maybe the whole world's gone to poo poo. So until we can figure out what the gently caress happened to Bobby and how to keep it from happening to the rest of us, I'm staying right here."

His piece said, Mick moves to the kitchen table and starts very resolutely rolling some joints.

"Besides, power's still out."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Mick posted:

"That fucker upstairs Is some kind of EMT or something. Whatever happened to Bobby happened to him too."
Rudy blinks, barely comprehending that statement for a moment. "There's ...someone else upstairs? I..." He rushes upstairs, needing to see this for himself.
pre:
 > Notice/Perception 14 (three successes)
   Going to look at the 'fucker upstairs'.
   In this case also looking to snag his badge, hospital ID, wallet, ambulance keys, and other swag.
Passive: Strength (+3) / Constitution (+3) / Willpower (+3) / Dexterity (+5) / Intelligence (+5) / Perception (+5)
Skill (+1) [Tech]: Craft / Computers / Electronics / Mechanic / Driving / Piloting
Inventory: Backpack / Sleeping Bag / Flashlight / Multitool / First Aid Kit / $105 / Cell Phone / Key Ring

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Annemarie De Lang [30 / 30 LP | 32 / 32 EP | 12 SPD | 20 / 20 ES]

Annemarie didn't move from her spot by the porch, she merely turned her head and spoke loudly enough to be heard inside the house, "You boys do whatever you want, I'm not even here. Someone's snoring woke me up and I went home hours ago. So, if nobody else is hurt, I'll be on my way."

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Sargent Major Mike "Red" Vinning > 44 / 44 HP > 28 / 32 EP > 18 Speed

The commotion downstairs seems to have died down so Red pauses at the top of the stairs. He decides to search the surrounding area for any useful items since Rudy is already frisking the EMT. Smart man that one.... seems to have his wits about him...

Notice (4) + Per (4) = 8 for checking the upstairs for anything useful like an area or road map, weapons, radio or anything of note

At the bottom of the stairs Red turns into the kitchen and slides next to Mick

"Thanks for the help in the hallway kid, nice shot" as he cleans his knife against his fatigue pants leaving streaks of red on the thigh.

Red unslings his rifle and starts cleaning it on the table, unscrewing the barrel to look for debris and cleaning the bolt and chamber.

"I gotta agree with you though, we aren't telling anyone poo poo about this for now. I want to take a walk out to the shed, and maybe get on a roof with my binoculars and take a look-see to find out some more"

"I'm also of a mind that we should all be sticking together....I don't want that broad leaving and blabbing to the police or sending some enterprising group with more guns than us up here if whatever this poo poo is has hit the town.... right now I don't think many people know we're here " Red says as he eyes Annemarie through the doorway.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Dave Lawson > 54 / 54 HP > 39 / 41 EP > 20 Speed

Dave was stunned as Bobby's head was smashed - he hadn't meant to hit him that hard. However, he pushed down his grief over his friend. Things were still bad. "Look, before we go around doing anything we need to figure out what the gently caress just happened. Bobby had a hole in his neck that I could drat near stick my hand into, and I know that boar had been dead for hours and didn't even have any organs, besides," he paused a moment. "I think this is like, some vampire poo poo."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mick
.38 Pistol (5/7) [49]

Waroduce posted:

"Thanks for the help in the hallway kid, nice shot"

"Thanks, Red." His modesty says he didn't do much, but it did put him on the ground long enough for Red to finish the job. Maybe that isn't nothing.

Piell posted:

"I know that boar had been dead for hours" ... "I think this is like, some vampire poo poo."
"loving Christ, the boar, too?" Vampires. Christ. "Guess we gotta... gently caress, figure out how it works, then. That shed was locked all night, right?"

Reluctantly, and only once he has several more joints (and has offered one each to Dave and Red), Mick gets up again. First, a stop by the fridge. Looks like there's a few beers left after all. He grabs one, cracks it open, takes a ceremonial sip (it's warm, and he blanches), and turns up the can to pour it out onto the ground and snow outside.

"Rest in peace, Bobby. We'll miss ya, buddy."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dave left Bobby's body and knelt down next to the boar - if he was going to examine a body, he'd rather it was an animal rather than his friend. He looked as best as he could for anything that might have happened to the boar - outside of gun and arrow wounds, that is.

Maybe it would be better to examine the body inside, if this didn't pan out.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
After

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The nervous humming of the anxious alpacas keeps up. In some places they use them as guard animals. Despite their dorky haircuts, they're pretty ballsy and territorial, not afraid to stomp on a fox, or protecting smaller sheep from dogs or birds of prey that attack birthing lambs. They're usually pretty stroppy animals, but now they're spooked and they won't stop warning each other about it. You wonder how far that noise carries through the trees on an otherwise quiet, still morning like this. Bobby was always good at calming them down.

"Oh loving no way!" Sally Rose's voice from upstairs.

"Don't look honey, just hold m' arm and step over it."

"Rank! Eeugh. I... ... euggh." You hear a retch.

Marla's hurled a rug over the body upstairs so her daughter doesn't have to witness a man shot, stabbed and stomped to a second death, but that doesn't do much to stop the sharp smell of insides that pervades the upper floor. She shepherds Sally Rose to the bottom of the stairs, her daughter wrapped up in her winter coat now that the heat's dead, her face pale and queasy under the hood. A year away from being allowed to buy liquor, she played grown up last night drinking whisky with the adults but this morning she's clinging to her mom like a kid. Marla steers her from the back door, away from the bloody scene out in the snow, and plants her on the front couch while she goes out to her car. Rudy's free to lift the sticky rug and peer at the hideously injured body: Forearm stabbed clear through, two bullet holes in him and his head stomped in. And injuries a couple hours old, stale enough for the blood to go brown and flakey, around his mouth and shattered nose like he's collided with something at high speed, and the rupture in his leg where his smashed ankle bone's cut through the skin. No keys on him, but he's got a small belt kit with some bandages, alcohol swabs, and--you wish you found these first--rubber gloves. His blood splattered staff pass reads "RAPID CITY REGIONAL HOSPITAL". About 35 miles north. He was out of his way, but then nearby Fairburn isn't big enough to have its own hospital, so any urgent callouts have to come from the city. Red searches through Bobby's room, given up for the night to Sally Rose. Along with a weed stash and pipe (belonging to the new Bobby), biography of Norman Schwarzkopf (belonging to the old Bobby), he finds the old soldier's winter jacket, rated to keep you warm in as bad a blizzard anyone could expect to see in these parts, and in the bottom drawer there's a small hand-crank radio. The lever is cracked and won't wind, but maybe with some delicately-handled repairs you could get it running again.

"We should check the news," Sota says after several minutes' contemplation. His usually stony-features had grown more grim at Mick's suggestion that this might be widespread and, for once, he's desperate for a 6am news bulletin. "That's what we got to do. We got to get some more gas in the generator, and check the TV. It's two dang hours til sunrise, we'll freeze our butts off without power anyway. Unless someone wants to wander out in the dark collecting firewood, and I'm calling 'not me' right the darn heck now on that front."

Annemarie studies her companions: Varyingly resolute, freaked out, silent with grief. A range of reactions, but nothing that screams "I knew". She overhears Red forming a plan, he doesn't want the authorities here. Is that suspicious? Either way, nothing in his voice gives away foreknowledge of whatever just happened. Everyone's surprised that Bobby got up with his neck open and that a boar with no innards managed to swing itself off a meathook and run around the yard. And Dave can find no conceivable cause. The only wounds on the animal are ones you can account for: Arrow through the torso from where Marty shot it the first time, one through the skull from the second go around, ragged hole punched by a tight buckshot pattern, and a gruesome tear in its back where it came off the hook. Its organs, scattered about from where it kicked over its own bucket full of guts, look as you'd expect, and it had been locked up in the meatshed only a couple hours after it'd been shot.

Out in the front yard, Marla digs through her car's glovebox and pulls clear a holstered Beretta, same type from her army days, and slides it into her waistband. She reappears in the front doorway.

"I'll need some gas," she drawls. "My tank's empty. Gave it up for the generator last night to keep us all warm, so I reckon it's only fair we share. If this ... if it ain't just this, just here... I'm takin Sally Rose back to our people. Call the cops, whatever you want, but if this is a 'thing,' I'm not waitin. I wanna hit the road now."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mick
.38 Pistol (7/7) [48]

"There're more productive ways to commit fuckin' suicide, Marla."

Halfway through his joint, and the "real" Mick is starting to show through again. His racing thoughts are calming down, his sharp edges are softening, and though he's still very generous with his f-bombs, they're more casual, peppered across his sentences rather than stabbed through them. Carefully, he pulls one of the coats off the nearest rack, drapes it over Bobby's head and upper body, and turns back to follow up on his rather... direct statement.

"'Even if we could give you a full tank, which we can't, how far would that get you? If this is the apocalypse, I don't think you can just pull up to the fuckin' Shell and get some Skittles and a Diet Coke. You will drive out in the dark, through God knows what, and you will run out of gas in the middle of nowhere, and probably manage to freeze to death even faster than we will here with an empty generator."

Mick has officially graduated from 'blunt' to 'brutal', but he lets out a deep sigh, and his shoulders drop. When he speaks again, it's with a more level tone. God, this bullshit's even harshing his buzz.

"Come back inside, close the door, and sit down. Hell, have a beer if you want, nobody gives a poo poo. But stay here. You leave, that's not just gas we're losing, that's two brains, four hands, and one loaded pistol. I think we're gonna need all of those we can get if we're gonna get through this."

Don't Leave (INT + INT + Charisma): 1d10+9 11
That's an 11 as an intimidate, or a 13 as a Smooth Talking, at your discretion, minus whatever penalties are flying around.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Annemarie walked through the kitchen and headed upstairs to join Rudy in seeing what exactly happened on the second floor.

On her way past the group, she spoke up, "Why is everyone assuming that this, whatever this is", she gestured at Bobby, "Is happening anywhere else? People go psycho all the time, for no good reason."

Upon seeing the body upstairs, she immediately wished she hadn't bothered. "Yep, should have followed my instincts and left."

Pocketing the man's staff badge and putting on the belted first aid kit, Annemarie went back downstairs and leaned against the back kitchen door; she was going to be near an exit, in case anyone else went 'psycho'.

"Marla, where are your people? Do you have far to go? I'm not sticking around either, and, I'm not giving up my gas. Think there's another way though."

Annemarie glanced up at the ceiling.

"He didn't walk 35 miles from Rapid City, his car or ambulance is around here somewhere. We find it, take the gas, power up the TV, and see what's going on. You'll have fuel, and I'll be gone."

She looked at Red, Dave, and Rudy, "Alright boys, looks like you all know how to handle yourself, mind helping a lady find some gas? And before we go, are we sure Bobby didn't keep a tank around here somewhere?"

Finally she looked at Mick, "And you, yeah, keep on getting high, that's really helpful."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Plot posted:

Rudy's free to lift the sticky rug and peer at the hideously injured body: Forearm stabbed clear through, two bullet holes in him and his head stomped in. And injuries a couple hours old, stale enough for the blood to go brown and flakey, around his mouth and shattered nose like he's collided with something at high speed, and the rupture in his leg where his smashed ankle bone's cut through the skin. No keys on him, but he's got a small belt kit with some bandages, alcohol swabs, and--you wish you found these first--rubber gloves. His blood splattered staff pass reads "RAPID CITY REGIONAL HOSPITAL". About 35 miles north. He was out of his way, but then nearby Fairburn isn't big enough to have its own hospital, so any urgent callouts have to come from the city.
The body upstairs had definitely galloped right on past 'crime scene' and landed somewhere squarely in the realm of 'horror movie'. It seemed like the former medic had gotten himself into some sort of car accident ...before being stabbed and shot, anyway. Anyone reading the scene would very likely conclude that he had somehow walked to Bobby's house for help after the accident, and gotten murdered for his troubles. Calling the police was a surefire way to get them all arrested, or at least held for questioning for the better part of the week. What a nightmare.

Plot (Sota) posted:

"We should check the news," Sota says after several minutes' contemplation. His usually stony-features had grown more grim at Mick's suggestion that this might be widespread and, for once, he's desperate for a 6am news bulletin. "That's what we got to do. We got to get some more gas in the generator, and check the TV. It's two dang hours til sunrise, we'll freeze our butts off without power anyway. Unless someone wants to wander out in the dark collecting firewood, and I'm calling 'not me' right the darn heck now on that front."
With the upstairs thoroughly investigated and ransacked, Rudy heads downstairs and comments, "Gas or no gas, the batteries in the cars should all still have a charge. It'll be faster to find a set of keys, turn on the ignition halfway, and scan the local AM and FM bands. Best guess, there was some kind of car accident on the interstate or something, maybe a chemical spill? The guy upstairs was from Rapid City General, he's a bit out of his way for a minor incident." He sighs, making his way to the sink to bleach his hands after touching the body, and continues, "I'd agree that odds are good there's an ambulance somewhere nearby, though what condition it's in is a die roll. 'High speed collision' is written all over the body upstairs ...among other phrases, I suppose."

On the subject of the subgroup of people eager to leave, he adds, "General advice in an emergency is to shelter in place. If there's a chemical spill, gas leak, or something similar causing people to black out and go crazy, being outside and heading towards the road is a surefire way to get caught up in it somehow. Though I suppose freezing to death doesn't appeal to anyone either, so, there's that."

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Waador posted:

With the upstairs thoroughly investigated and ransacked, Rudy heads downstairs and comments, "Gas or no gas, the batteries in the cars should all still have a charge. It'll be faster to find a set of keys, turn on the ignition halfway, and scan the local AM and FM bands. Best guess, there was some kind of car accident on the interstate or something, maybe a chemical spill? The guy upstairs was from Rapid City General, he's a bit out of his way for a minor incident." He sighs, making his way to the sink to bleach his hands after touching the body, and continues, "I'd agree that odds are good there's an ambulance somewhere nearby, though what condition it's in is a die roll. 'High speed collision' is written all over the body upstairs ...among other phrases, I suppose."

Annemarie listened to Rudy and had to agree, the man made sense.

"Can't argue with that Rudy, you've got a point. Let's go listen to the radio and see if there's anything about this 'Psycho' business. I can't imagine how or why though. And I'm not going out there by myself, so bring those guns and walk me out to my truck."

She pulled the backdoor open and was struck (again) with the cold, pre-dawn, winter air.

"Let's get going, I don't want to be out there freezing any longer than I have to. Either way, we need to find that ambulance. I don't want to drive it, we just need the gas. If its nothing, we owe gas to Marla so she can get her kid home. If its something, we need heat and electricity to stay here."

Pulling her jacket tight around her, Annemarie stepped out onto the porch, "And for the last time, are we sure Bobby didn't store gas somewhere out in those sheds?"

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
After

Marla's jaw sets firm as Mick lays out the 'stay-put' plan. "If this is a thing elsewhere, then her people might need my hands too. And maybe my gun. Her granddaddy's place is just out of Fort Campbell, rest of the clan was there for the new year, and that's a full day's hard drive. And if it's a, just a 'chemical spill', somethin just around here, then I'm not gonna be around when the roads get closed off. I don't wanna spend a week in a quarantine camp while some FEMA geek tickles me with a high powered decon hose. I just need enough gas to get to the next station."

Sota scratches his cleanshaven chin. "We had a couple gas cans spare but we burnt through them pretty fast last night with the heat running high. Didn't expect we'd have trouble picking up any more this morning. Didn't expect," he gestures vaguely at the window, "this. I mean we could drain both trucks and keep the generator running I suppose... but then we lose our wheels."

CourValant posted:

"Either way, we need to find that ambulance. I don't want to drive it, we just need the gas. If its nothing, we owe gas to Marla so she can get her kid home. If its something, we need heat and electricity to stay here."

"I'll come. That's gotta be worth checkin out," Marla agrees. "If they're all staying put, or if we're leavin... more gas helps all of us." Marty had noted earlier the man's footprints led south away from the house, towards the dirt track that runs about a mile through the trees down to the main road. "His ride can't be far if his foot still had most the skin on it."

-
Marla is resolute, rolling a 13 on her willpower check. And forgot to mention: Everyone gains +2xp for resolving that first scene

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

children overboard posted:

"I'll come. That's gotta be worth checkin out," Marla agrees. "If they're all staying put, or if we're leavin... more gas helps all of us." Marty had noted earlier the man's footprints led south away from the house, towards the dirt track that runs about a mile through the trees down to the main road. "His ride can't be far if his foot still had most the skin on it."

Annemarie nodded at Marla, "Sounds like a plan then, more medical supplies isn't going to hurt either, no matter what's going on out there. Grab your kid and let's go."

She gestured to the rest of the group, "Alright, come on boys, first we check the radio in my truck, then we find that ambulance. Soto, where are those gas cans? Did Bobby we have a siphon?"

** Should I roll persuasion here, or leave it up to the other players to decide what they want to do? **

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
After

"We got empties and a few feet of hose out by the generator," Sota confirms, looking sceptically into the still-dark front yard and that dirt track winding into the woods. "If you're sure about this."

-

CourValant posted:

** Should I roll persuasion here, or leave it up to the other players to decide what they want to do? **

Nah for players just leave it up to their call, use rolls for NPCs (though in this case, 1 NPC agrees with you (Marla), and Sota will go with the majority or whoever rolls the best check at him).

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Annemarie De Lang [30 / 30 LP \ 32 / 32 EP \ 12 SPD \ 20 / 20 ES]

"We got empties and a few feet of hose out by the generator," Sota confirms, looking sceptically into the still-dark front yard and that dirt track winding into the woods. "If you're sure about this."
-
Nah for players just leave it up to their call, use rolls for NPCs (though in this case, 1 NPC agrees with you (Marla), and Sota will go with the majority or whoever rolls the best check at him).

Annemarie looked at Soto with a strong, steady gaze, "Given what just happened, I'm not sure about anything. What I know is we need more information, and we owe Marla gas. The first is a short walk to my truck. We'll decide on the next step when we get there. Besides, you did okay with that wench, so, use it to watch my back, and let's try to figure this out."

Action

> Persuade Soto to go with Annemarie and Marla: 1d10+12 16

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Strength (+2) \ Dexterity (+3) \ Constitution (+3) \ Intelligence (+4) \ Perception (+6) \ Willpower (+4 +1 *when resisting fear)
Qualities: Attractiveness (+2 to ‘social’) \ Charisma (+3 to ‘social’) \ Fast Reaction Time (‘first to react’; +1 WIL to resist fear) \ Situational Awareness (+2 to PER checks)
\ Resources (+2 ‘Well-Off’)
Drawbacks: Addiction [Cigarettes] (1) \ Adversary [Ex-‘Husband’] (2) \ Cruel (1) \ Emotional Problems [Fear of Commitment] (1) \ Secret [‘Past-Life’] (1)

Skill (+3): Hand Weapon [Knives]
Skill (+6): Driving [Car] \ Guns [Pistol 9mm]
Skill (+7): Streetwise \ First Aid
Skill (+9): Beautician [* +/- Materials Bonus] \ Notice
Skill (+12): Acting \ Seduction [* +Beautician Bonus] \ Persuade [* +Beautician Bonus]

Inventory: Cell Phone (1) \ Cigarettes [Carton] (1) \ Zippo Lighter (1) \ Winter Jacket (1) \ Change of Clothes (2) \ Flannel PJs (1) \ Kinetic Watch (1) \ Make-Up Kit (1) \ First Aid Kit (1)
\ Binoculars (1) \ Map of Local Area (1) \ Whistle (1) \ Water Bottle [16oz] (1) \ Weekend Pack (1) \ Flashlight (1) \ Multitool (1) \ Small Knife [Folder] (1) D4(2) x (Strength - 1)
\ Pistol [H&K USPc 9mm] (1) D6 x4(12) \ Handgun Magazines [10 rds] (3) \ 9mm ammo (50) \ Old Pick-Up Truck (1) \ EMT First Aid Belt (1) \ EMT Staff Pass [Rapid City Hospital] (1)

XP: 2

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CourValant fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 19, 2017

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Rudy Anderson > 34 / 34 HP > 32 / 32 EP > 16 Speed > 2 XP
"Jesus Christ, it's cold as balls and the front door is open. Let's stop loving arguing about whether we should listen to the news and go listen to the loving news." Rudy flicks on his flashlight, motioning for someone with a gun or wrench to go first. "I'm on spotlight duty, it seems."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"I've got a few things to grab from my truck, too," Dave says. Like his axe. He'd never been more than an indifferent shot with a gun, and if there were more vampires or crazies or whatever they were out there, he'd feel more comfortable with something to use up close.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Red joins Dave and Rudy as they leave the house, rifle in hand. He's all for consolodating resources and figuering what's going on in the wide world by listening to the news, but the loving llamas or alpacas still won't shut up. He's slightly more worried about immediate physical security than what's going on outside the camp grounds. Red is going to get on the roof and have a nice studious look at the surrounding areas and try to pick out landmarks, easily defensible positions, escape route and natural chokepoints. Maybe something shiny will catch his attention, and he sure would like a warning if more druggies or whatever the gently caress those guys were are headed this way.

Notice 4 + Per 4 = 8

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Outside

Red finds a way up onto the roof from the upstairs window box. Scanning the surrounds, he catches a repeating flash of red light reflecting off the upper branches of the trees about a mile south of the farmhouse. That's down by where the main road is. You can't spy much else yet for how dark it is, a few feet into the treeline and it's all pitch black where the moonlight can't penetrate, but standing watch up here will give you an early warning in case anyone else stumbles out into the clearing, and you can see the front yard's clear for the others to venture out to the cars. You're glad for Bobby's winter coat. The wind's noticeably icier even 20 feet off the ground.

Dave, Annemarie, Marla, Sota and Rudy venture out front. There's a 20 yard clearance between the treeline and the cars. Enough time to react if someone burst out of there? You hope so. It's clear for now anyway. Dave retrieves his axe. Annemarie eases open her car door and slides the key a half turn to switch the battery on. You expect to have to flick to a news channel, but even the local country music station's got a bulletin playing.

"-while large sections of Rapid Valley are still without power. The Western Area Power Administration has yet to respond to 98.7FM's queries about when the grid will be restored.

"And an update on our main story this morning: The Pennington County Sheriff's Office has now closed off all access to Rapid City Regional Hospital following an apparent riot by patients overnight. The sheriff's office reports three deputies have lost their lives along with an unknown number of hospital staff and patients, but no names have been released. A 98.7FM listener on the scene reported several gunshots shortly after a team of officers entered the building. The area's now been cordoned off and listeners are advised to avoid Fairmont Boulevarde and surrounding roads.

"Meanwhile Sheriff Jerry Ryans tells our affiliates the situation is now under control following an early morning brawl at the Haines Avenue convenience store. One person is deceased and three others arrested. One man was reportedly in critical condition and an ambulance has been rerouted to Black Hills Surgical Hospital.

"Ope, sorry, I've just been handed a late breaking bulletin. Police and emergency services have been called to Coral Drive Funeral Home following several 911 calls. A disturbance was reported late last night, and two home invasions have now been reported in neighbouring streets. Once again, listeners are advised to avoid the Coral Drive area. We'll have more on that story as it comes through.

"Coming up in the next half hour, we speak to astronomer Sherry Ridgewell from the Hidden Valley Observatory about last night's surprise meteor shower, stay tuned for that interview."

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Annemarie furrowed her brow as she listened to the broadcasts; apparently, the New Year brought with it outright insanity.

She checked her watch.

"Its 2 hours to dawn, and all this already happened!?? Did the entire town go insane at the stroke of midnight!??"

Annemarie fiddled with the radio dial to tune in to additional channels, "At least 3 cops and a whole bunch of other people are dead. Power is out, and they're roping off access, little by little."

She turned to Marla, "I don't know where your people are, and, you best not even try to get near those places. You'll just get caught up in whatever madness is going on."

Leaning back into the seat of the truck, she ignored the cold from the fabric seeping into her, "Wait, an ambulance was rerouted to Black Hills?? We don't get much ambulance traffic around here, you think it could be the same one? Maybe the critical guy in the back went nuts and attacked the EMT? Made him run off and tear into Bobby?"

A slight shiver, which had nothing to do with the icy interior of the truck, "If that's the case, we might have 2 more nut-jobs roaming around? The guy who was critical, and the partner of the EMT? Unless they're already lying dead in the snow here somewhere.

Annemarie shook her head and rubbed her forehead with her hands, "I feel like I'm missing something, none of this makes any sense."

Action

> Annemarie uses notice to discern if there was something left unspoken from the news reports, or, to try and piece together all of the information: 1d10+9 15

Passive: Strength (+2) \ Dexterity (+3) \ Constitution (+3) \ Intelligence (+4) \ Perception (+6) \ Willpower (+4 +1 *when resisting fear)
Qualities: Attractiveness (+2 to ‘social’) \ Charisma (+3 to ‘social’) \ Fast Reaction Time (‘first to react’; +1 WIL to resist fear) \ Situational Awareness (+2 to PER checks)
Drawbacks: Addiction [Cigarettes] (1) \ Adversary [Ex-‘Husband’] (2) \ Cruel (1) \ Emotional Problems [Fear of Commitment] (1) \ Secret [‘Past-Life’] (1)

Skill (+12): Acting \ Seduction [* +Beautician Bonus] \ Persuade [* +Beautician Bonus]

Inventory: Cell Phone (1) \ Cigarettes [Carton] (1) \ Zippo Lighter (1) \ Winter Jacket (1) \ Change of Clothes (2) \ Flannel PJs (1) \ Kinetic Watch (1) \ Make-Up Kit (1) \ First Aid Kit (1)
\ Binoculars (1) \ Map of Local Area (1) \ Whistle (1) \ Water Bottle [16oz] (1) \ Weekend Pack (1) \ Flashlight (1) \ Multitool (1) \ Small Knife [Folder] (1) D4(2) x (Strength - 1)
\ Pistol [H&K USPc 9mm] (1) D6 x4(12) \ Handgun Magazines [10 rds] (3) \ 9mm ammo (50) \ Old Pick-Up Truck (1) \ EMT First Aid Belt (1) \ EMT Staff Pass [Rapid City Hospital] (1)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"It's definitely some vampire poo poo. The hospital and the funeral home, the two places you'd expect to see attacks after some people got killed by vampires and then raised up later. Whatever we end up doing, we should wait until dawn to do it - they should hopefully have problems with daylight," Dave says as he slings his shotgun and grabs his axe.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mick
.38 Pistol (7/7) [48]

Mick's got good ears, but even that's not enough to make out anything discernible from a conversation that far away. He'll just have to wait for them to come back, or, if they don't, pick up context clues. Like when four new vampires come busting in through the door.

"Hell, might as well grab a beer." And that's exactly what Mick does. He sits in a chair, beer in one hand and joint in the other, and lets himself think about absolutely nothing.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Inside

"Starting already?" Sally Rose questions from under the hood of her jacket. Still all wrapped up in blankets, she's sitting up on one of the lounges watching her mom out in the frontyard when Mick comes back with a beer. "It's not even 6am... gently caress it. Get me one too." At least you won't have any problems keeping the beer cold even without power.

Front yard

There's not much more that Annemarie can determine from the broadcast alone. It doesn't sound like government heavies are standing in the newsroom dictating editorial content at gunpoint (yet). But you also know that the news is never to the minute. You're only finding out about the state of things as they were the last time the bulletin got updated, and it could be an hour behind. And death tolls fluctuate wildly as details are pinned down.

"If the hospital road's blocked off, the main highway east outta Rapid City's a no go," Marla drawls quietly. "I could take Sally Rose south, cross the Nebraska border, stayin off the main roads. And, not to tell anyone what to do, but," she shrugs. "There's worse places to be than where I'm goin. For one, no one freezes to death in Kentucky. For two, my girl's granddaddy is brass at Fort Campbell. That gets us inside those walls, and being around the whole of the 101st Airborne at a time like this sounds alright to me. Either way. Gas?" she nods towards the dark road south.

-
What's the plan? Investigate ambulance now, or wait a couple hours til sun up?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mick
.38 Pistol (7/7) [48]
2 XP

"Hey, if there was ever a fuckin' time." Going out on a pre-dawn adventure is a bit beyond what Mick is willing to do, but grabbing Sally Rose a beer, that he can do. He's also willing to offer the back half of the joint when he hands it over to her.

"So, you really all-in on this 'gently caress off to the middle of nowhere' plan?"

What's your deal? (Questioning + Perception): 1d10+3+3 11
Not trying to talk her out of it, just trying to suss out how much of it is her agreeing and how much is just not wanting to speak against her.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Inside

"Middle of nowhere? Hey! Kentucky's not that fucken bad!" Sally Rose laughs for the first time this morning. She takes up the offered joint and takes only a gentle puff. "We got electricity and everything! Well. We did when I left, anyway. But nah I, I dunno what's best. But she does," she nods out the front window to Marla. "She's good with this poo poo. Well not this precise exact poo poo, but in general, when we had trouble with some lovely people a while back." She hands back the joint and takes a sip of beer and looks lost in thought as she keeps a watchful eye on her mom. "She always got us through." You can't see those two parting ways.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Red descends from his perch on the roof, reassured that there was no mass of crazies imminently descending upon them. Stationing himself outside by the front door he says loud enough to be heard in the house " I want to check the ambulance, the meat shed where that hog came from, and take a quick walk around the perimeter. I was just on the roof and I saw a repeating flash of red light reflecting off the upper branches of the trees about a mile south of the farmhouse. I don't know what it is, but its going to attract some attention. If there is a cop car, they might have guns and someone who knows whats going on, or at least a police scanner where we can get some real information. An ambulance might have a police scanner as well..... Mick you were pretty handy with that gun, I'd appreciate you watching my back and anyone else who wants to tag along for a little field trip.

[b] Red
unslings his rifle and after pausing for a moment starts walking toward the meat shed while keeping his eyes on the treeline.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

"There's worse places to be than where I'm goin. For one, no one freezes to death in Kentucky. For two, my girl's granddaddy is brass at Fort Campbell. That gets us inside those walls, and being around the whole of the 101st Airborne at a time like this sounds alright to me. Either way. Gas?" she nods towards the dark road south.

Annemarie nodded, "Gas. Now. Either way, we can all use it. Let's go get it together, and split it as a group."

She lowered her voice so only Marla can hear her, "I don't know what we're going to find down there, and, I still plan on going home as soon as I can. That being said, woman to woman, if the countryside is about to be swarmed by these 'New Year Whacks', you mind if I tag along with you to Fort Campbell?"

Waroduce posted:

"I was just on the roof and I saw a repeating flash of red light reflecting off the upper branches of the trees about a mile south of the farmhouse. I don't know what it is, but its going to attract some attention."

Annemarie turned to Red, "Let's get going then. If the lights are about a mile off, you want to take my truck? You boys can stand up on the bed while I drive slow and call out if you see anything you don't like?"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

"Excellent idea Anne. Let me check the meatshed for anything useful like weapons or food and we'll take off. I'm a bit worried the sound of the car is going to give us away to anything out there but if you take it slow it shouldn't be too loud, and I'm of the mind the speed will help us out run anything my old rifle here can't handle"

check shed for a larger knife or any weapons, food or items of importance. hamers, nails, loose lumber. Notice 4 + per 4 = 8

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Waroduce posted:

"Excellent idea Anne. Let me check the meatshed for anything useful like weapons or food and we'll take off. I'm a bit worried the sound of the car is going to give us away to anything out there but if you take it slow it shouldn't be too loud, and I'm of the mind the speed will help us out run anything my old rifle here can't handle"

Annemarie shut the truck door and turned the key full in the ignition. The engine choked a few times before kicking over and the pickup rumbled to life; at times the old beater gave her trouble, and, she was glad this wasn't one of those times.

Rolling down the window, she lit up another smoke and took a heavy drag, "Yeah, Woo Hoo. Guns and trucks, perfect way to ring in the New Year, what could go wrong? Do your check, round up the boys, and let's go. Marla, why don't you and your kid ride up front with me."

The heater was turned all the way up, for all the good it would do. Hopefully the cabin would warm up by the time they get to the ambulance.

"Red", she called after him, "Take someone with you in case any of them Whacks are in those sheds, we don't need anyone else getting hurt."

Another drag; ash flicked out the open window.

"And if you're going to shorten my name, use Annie."

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Front yard

Red checks the meatshed and finds all the necessary implements for dressing, skinning and butchering meat: buck knife with a gut hook, a bone cleaver... a machete. The tools were sharpened freshly on an arkansas stone in anticipation of cutting up the hog, and the machete's got a fine edge on it and just a bit of flex to the blade. In the main garage there's a scattering of handyman's tools--buzz saw, drill, router, and a few hand tools—and some seasoned spruce boards wrapped up in tarp.

Out front Annemarie starts up her pickup. It's not subtle--you're not going to sneak up on anyone in a truck, but it'll keep you mobile and puts you a few feet off the ground.

CourValant posted:

"Marla, why don't you and your kid ride up front with me."

"I figure by the looks of that fella upstairs, the car he came out of is gonna be a rough scene," Marla answers as she climbs in the passenger seat. "I don't want her seein' all that. But you'd be welcome with us when we hit the road. If'n we rotate drivers, it's less than a day's haul to Kentucky."

-
If anyone other than Mick and Sally Rose are staying behind at the house, let me know now, otherwise jump in back and we'll move forward to check out the ambulance.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Rudy Anderson > 34 / 34 HP > 32 / 32 EP > 16 Speed > 2 XP

Plot (radio) posted:

"-while large sections of Rapid Valley are still without power."

Plot (radio) posted:

"The Pennington County Sheriff's Office has now closed off all access to Rapid City Regional Hospital following an apparent riot by patients overnight."

Plot (radio) posted:

"Sheriff Jerry Ryans tells our affiliates the situation is now under control following an early morning brawl at the Haines Avenue convenience store. One person is deceased and three others arrested. One man was reportedly in critical condition and an ambulance has been rerouted to Black Hills Surgical Hospital."

Plot (radio) posted:

"Police and emergency services have been called to Coral Drive Funeral Home following several 911 calls. A disturbance was reported late last night, and two home invasions have now been reported in neighbouring streets."
The news reports were ...less than encouraging. Power outages across a large swath of the county were a complication on a good day. Violent outbursts in the hospital were a concern, and violent outbursts in the streets were a deeper one. He didn't imagine funeral homes tended to get many house calls by police, which began to further worry him. Just what the hell was going on?

Dave Lawson posted:

"I think this is like, some vampire poo poo."
He considered himself a man of science ...but... every myth had a kernel of truth in its origins -- they all had to come from somewhere, right?
pre:
Does Rudy believe in vampires?  90 / 100, yes
He took in the possibility for a moment as the news continued to roll on.

Plot (radio) posted:

"Coming up in the next half hour, we speak to astronomer Sherry Ridgewell from the Hidden Valley Observatory about last night's surprise meteor shower, stay tuned for that interview."

As the news marched onward, it eventually shocked him out of his silence. What if it wasn't a supernatural explanation at all?
pre:
Does Rudy believe in aliens? 100 / 100, yes, completely
It made sense, no matter how you looked at it. Perhaps it was accidental contamination by an expeditionary force, not unlike the diseases brought to North America by European explorers and settlers centuries ago. Perhaps it was a prelude to a full-blown invasion, an intentional release to soften up the local population and sew chaos so that an effective defense couldn't be mounted. Either way, that 'surprise meteor shower' didn't sit well with him. Rudy massages his forehead to ward off the upcoming nightmare of a headache, and comments to Red, "I'll run lookout I suppose."
pre:
Notice/Perception 17 (five successes)
Hopping into the back of the truck, playing lookout.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 23, 2017

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Dave climbs into the back of the truck, sighing. Well, if everyone else wanted to go now instead of waiting for light, it was best if they went in a strong group.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

"Roger, Annie". Red grabs the machete, give the shed a once over and than hoofs it to the truck. He takes position looking front holding his rifle loosely but ready, rested on the roof.

"I have the 12, let's make sure we cover the clock"

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Annemarie waited for the 'boys' to climb on into the truck bed before shifting into drive.

While they sorted out who was 'covering the clock' (what was it with men and military speak?), she inched the pick-up slowly forward at a walking pace.

Turning towards the assumed location of the ambulance, she would make sure to avoid any major bumps and or obstacles, while also ensuring that the vehicle would never be hemmed in by trees.

Taking a last drag of the cigarette, she flipped the filter out of the truck and rolled up the window, "So, just between us girls Marla, did you and Bobby still keep company?"

Action

> Annemarie rolls driving to ensure the ride is slow, smooth, methodical, and the truck isn't caught in a 'tight' position: 1d10+6 7 [1d10=1] :negative:

> Drive Test Rule of One Penalty: 1d10 7

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Front Yard

The truck lurches forward and promptly stalls with a jolt. Everyone in the back tumbles forward leading to a couple bruises and an unintended four-way man hug between Red, Sota, Rudy and Dave. Whoops, wrong gear. No harm done, save to Annemarie's driving cred. The car starts more smoothly on a second try.

"...probably the engine was cold," Marla offers with a conciliatory smile. "And ah, well, depends what you mean by 'company'. That was all a long time ago. It didn't work for about eighty reasons. Maybe if he'd found his 'medicine' sooner and chilled out a little, but there's no bad blood. We're just old friends these days. Were, I guess."

She turns away awkwardly and fiddles with the radio's volume knob. The station's back from the ad break and playing a new story now.

"-on location just south-east of Rapid City with four local boys who discovered the landing site of one of last night's meteors. Volunteer firefighters are keeping a cordon on the scene while we await the arrival of a team of researchers from Hidden Valley Observatory. They'll be able to tell us more about the unusual composition of the object, but we can see from the lip of the crater that it's an unusually smooth and ah, the surface is uh... is something moving down there? Jim get the light on the... oh god-"

There's a squeal of feedback and then static disrupts the broadcast. Marla glances across at Annemarie. "Feels like a god drat prank," she says bitterly. "Save that I just seen my own friend walkin round with his neck open and no blood in his body."

The short path to the main road doesn't leave much time to debate the news. Soon the flashing lights of the crashed ambulance are reflecting off the trees just round the bend. Over the wind, those in the back of the truck can hear more of that gargled moaning, same sound as that EMT Red killed upstairs was making. Annemarie eases the car round the bend and the headlights illuminate a horror crash site. The ambulance had collided with a minivan close to the turnoff to Bobby's driveway, one of the two had veered onto the wrong side of the road around as they came round the corner. There's blood and broken glass all over, big pools and tiny shards both shining in the headlights.

A third car's been forced to a stop at the side of the road, with a frantic young man standing atop it fending off four of those moaning things--a bite-ridden EMT who's stumbled out of the back of the ambulance, his blood-mouthed patient, and, judging by their windscreen-raked faces, the two occupants of the other car who crawled clear of the wreck, all of them insane and murderous. The sedan's driver had been forced to steer off the road onto the shoulder to get around the wreckage, but the soft sand and last night's snow meant he got bogged down, and he's now clambered onto the rooftop and is desperately trying to keep his feet away from their grabbing hands while smashing at their fingers with a tire iron. Annemarie recognises the chunky young guy in overalls and a trucker's cap: Danny Buckovski, one of the local Fairburn youth who breaks up periods of lengthy unemployment with occasional shifts at the Dry Creek Crematorium to fund his underage daydrinking.

"HELP ME!" he screams as he spots the headlights, voice hoarse like he might've been yelling for a while but to little effect in the winter wind. "PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP ME! I'M SO SORRY! PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!" He smashes down the tyre iron at one of the grasping hands reaching across the roof towards him, smashing the finger of a second man in an ambulance uniform. The figure, with vicious bite marks all down his arm and chunks of the muscle bitten out, reacts just like Bobby and the one upstairs: Not even a flinch, just keeps grabbing viciously at Danny with a mangled hand. These ones are maybe even more vicious. Bobby was still stiff, and the one that Red stomped was already mangled bad by the time you got to him. The four surrounding Danny are bloodthirsty and still have a strength about them.

Despite the low rumble of the engine, the attackers haven't turned towards you, apparently fixated on the meat close to hand. The ambulance is close to you, on the west side of the road. The front's crumpled bad but the back--and the fuel tact--seems in tact. You wonder if, distracted as they are by Danny's desperate dance on the car roof top just 15 yards away, you could swipe the fuel on the quiet while they're otherwise engaged.

"COME ON! I'M SORRY! COME ON PLEASE HELP ME!"

-
[Not sure if Marty said if he was going with the rest of the group in the truck or staying behind. Just let me know in the next post where you wanna be].

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Farmhouse

Back in the drafty front room of the farmhouse, Mick and Sally Rose wait, the young woman watching the driveway ever since Annemarie's taillights disappeared into the dark. The alpacas intermittently let out nervous hums.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

"I feel bad for them," Sally Rose says quietly, putting her face close to the frosty front window and looking east, but she can't see round the side of the house where the stables are. "That fucker earlier scared em good. Poor things."

Over the sound of the animals, Mick catches another noise from the east of the house, muffled through the glass. Sounds like a metal rattling on metal, like a loose length of chain's being dragged along the ground.

MmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMM.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
And an updated farmhouse map. The rattling noise is coming somewhere from the east. Marty, let me know if you went with the others or stayed behind with Mick and Sally Rose and some dead bodies.

• Locked thread