Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
When I saw this ICSA declared, I knew I was going to have put in an entry. When I was growing up, one my dad's favorite lunch spots was this place in Los Angeles

This place was great, they had 30 chilies, and would rotate between 10-20 of them every day, here is a sample of what you would find on any given day.

Every chili had a number between 1-10, and being a wimp as a child, I generally just stuck with 3-4, with my favorite being Deep Beef

My dad would generally get a 6-8 depending on what was available that day, and then sweat through his shirt while eating it

In 2009, Chili My Soul closed down after the death of the owner. I've never had chili anywhere near as good as the stuff I used to get there, that dude knew his stuff. But this is my take on one my dad's favorite's from there:

Ingredients that I used:
2 lbs of chuck steak, cubed and trimmed of excess fat
1 lb of chorizo
1 lb short ribs
3 fresh Poblanos
3 fresh Hatch chilies
4 Jalapenos
5 Serranos
1 can Chipotles in Adobo
Several dried Hatch chilies
5 or 6 dried Chile de Arbol peppers
Several sun dried tomatoes
Beef Stock
16 oz of Kidney beans
Corn meal, as needed to thicken
2 onions
4 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Cayenne
A shitload of ground black pepper
Salt to taste
Molasses to taste

First, forget to take a mise-en-place photo after you get back from the grocery store. This will ensure confusion among the judges.

Next, prep the peppers (except for the serranos) to be roasted, split in half and remove the stems and seeds

While those are under the broiler, add the dried peppers to hot water, rig up a system to make sure they stay submerged and don't float at the top, forget to take a picture of it. Also realize that you don't have dried chipotles in the house, and then dig around for the can of chipotles on adobo sauce.

Combine broiled pepper, onions, rehydrated peppers, chipotles, and sun dried tomatoes in a bowl and take an immersion blender to it Add back in the soaking liquid from the peppers until you get a good consistency.

Now get your meat together, and brown it all

First the short ribs

Then the Chorizo

Then the beef. Then realize you made a horrible mistake not doing the chorizo last, and that all of the fond on the bottom of the pot is burning. Add in the onions to pick up all of the fond and clean up the pot

Then finish the rest of the beef, but forget to get a photo of it. Then add the onions back, and give them time to really brown and bring out their sweetness.

Then add everything to the pot

Give it some time to come to a boil on the stove top, then transfer it into a 200 degree and leave it there for 8 hours, stirring every couple of hours and adjusting the flavor and added some corn meal when it looked a bit then.

A couple of hours before its done, throw a smoked ham shank and a chopped onion into a pot of boiling chicken stock. Let simmer for a couple of hours, remove ham shank and pull it apart, returning the meat to the liquid. Add about a pound of collard greens to the pot, and let cook for about 30 minutes.

After which, its time to take the chili out of the oven and take a look at your efforts

All that is left is to serve it all up, add some sour cream and Cojita cheese to the chili and a nice beer on the side

:ca:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
That looks awesome, and I love the inspiration for the recipe choice.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I'm curious: do you remove the bone from the short ribs before stewing, or do you just cook it all up together?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Coasterphreak posted:

I'm curious: do you remove the bone from the short ribs before stewing, or do you just cook it all up together?

I cooked it all together, and then fished out the bones shortly before serving it

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Good looking food in here

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I am deeply envious that you got to experience that chili place. Also, great choice of ingredients and accompaniments to the chili!

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

I made this last night, since I happened to have a bunch of that all around. It was fantastic. Thanks for posting!

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Do you think instead of placing the chili in the oven for hours that it would be just as good in a slow cooker for the same time frame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Piggy Smalls posted:

Do you think instead of placing the chili in the oven for hours that it would be just as good in a slow cooker for the same time frame?

Yeah, probably, I just had more chili than would fit in my crockpot

• Locked thread