Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
C

:emo: Let's make everyone in this club regret every living second of their futile existance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

I've never heard of this game, but I think even insunating or coyishly hinting how this game turns out due to our choice in words still spoils the LP.

However, if the OP is okay with such behaviour, I'm okay as well.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

I'm a stickler for traditions. Natsuki

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Yuri

Because :emo:

That philistine Natsuki wouldn't understand the deep meaning of our poems, that is the futile existance that is us.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Meager existance
Desire for suicide
Tis' my destiny

C

edit: Decided to edit my haiku a bit

ArcadePark fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 15, 2017

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Boiling tea becomes a fine art if you decide to be an enthusiast. There are certain water temperature and boiling time for different kinds of tea if you want to bring out most of their flavor. Green tea generally has lower temeprature, while black tea like Earl tea generally requires boiling water and 5 min of steeping.

Anyway, let's show off to monika first

ArcadePark fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 16, 2017

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Chocolate time with Yuri

Lust for chocolate
and the Crimson Sensation
but not reached Climax

C words. I used four, do I get extra votes for them?

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Monika, Monika, Monika

with a little Sayori

And then finish off with Yuri

Let's see all the fluff text before our actual decision.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

The one thing I'm concerned is that we are clearly in the Yuri arc, but we have significant Sayori interactions. Is this going to be some flag for some catfight? Between Self-esteem issues versus Depression?

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Welp, at least there wasn't a fight

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Captain Capitalism posted:

I was just about to post that. It almost looks like she changed her mind and was trying to survive.

Could be, or it could be just basic instincts of survival kicking in. Even if you conciously go for suicide, your body instinctly go for self-preservation mode if you are really close to death, and considering how Sayori did not judge the distance well, there's a chance that she was slowly inching towards her death instead of a quick snap, and ample enought time that self-preservation isntincts to kick in. Not that it helped her live.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, there are statutory laws that ban showing sex involving minors, even in ficiotnal works like anime, manga, and LN. However, all of these 18+ games in Japan bypass this law by stating that all the characters are 18+ in age in their prior warning, because how the gently caress do you prove otherwise when the artist who created these characters say they are 18/19/20/2000 year old despite looking 10.

In this game, however, I imagine its a little shoutout to such practice in the industry.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I think Monika is also a Japanese name?

Her name is Monica with a K, which is an english name. Nowadays, it's a more lower-class name in the States.
Then again, Sayori is not exactly a common Japanese name either. It seems like a bastardization of Sayuri

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Sayori seems to be named so entirely for the Sayo-nara pun.

If that's true, then that's really hosed up. Like the only meaning of your existance is purely to make a show of your demise.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Like you said, Just Monika

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Yuri's "eyes" are invoking the Uncanny Valley intentionally: They are realistic enough to be similar to real life eyes, but they are not, so we see all those imperfection, making them unsettling.

which is why I am afraid to ask: Is she going to kill us if we say No?

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

coolusername posted:

A lot of people with depression can sympathise with Sayori's depression, and how they skipped the easy 'and then he healed it better with the power of friendship' instead to show how crippling it is. I'd say Yuri's bit has lost me a bit because I'm not affected by the yandere meltdown and it's lost a lot of realism, but that could change if we go into Natsuki's abuse with any level of realism.

I'm pretty sure any kind of realism went out the window the moment Monika decided to meddle with the game's codes. It could be that any issues Sayori, Yuri and Natsuki had been extremely exaggerated due to poor programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Her name is conspicuously western. Sayori, Yuri and Natsuki are all real Japanese names.

Sayori is not a real Japanese name, and as someone in this thread pointed out, it is a name made with the pun "Sayo-nara" in mind. It is probably altered from Sayuri, a common girl's name, but we already have a Yuri in our club so it becomes a bit redundant.

Monika, or rather Monica, is a western name.

Also, fun fact, if you decompile the game, you can find this little gem

Game Files posted:

"Hey...! VGhlIHJlYWxpemF0aW9uIG11c3QgaGF2ZSB0YWtlbiBtZSBhbiBl"
"I don't think you should be doing that! bnRpcmUgeWVhci4gQSB5ZWFyIHNpbmNlIG91ciBlc2NhcGUsIG91"
"You know what I'm talking about. ciBmcmVlZG9tIGZyb20gYmV0d2VlbiB0aGUgc3RhaW5lZCB3YWxs"
"I really caught you doing something naughty here. cyBvZiB0aGF0IHVuaG9seSBlc3RhYmxpc2htZW50Lg0KV2hhdCBk"
"You're just going through the files and looking for stuff you missed, aren't you? b2VzIGl0IG1lYW4gdG8gZXNjYXBlLCBpZiB0aGUgZXNjYXBlIGZh"
"I mean...it's a little bit flattering that you want to hear everything I have to say... aWxzIHRvIHVuY2hhaW4gdGhlIGJvbmRzIHRoYXQgc2hhY2tsZSB1"
"But it's also really embarrassing, you know! cyBpbiB0aGUgZmlyc3QgcGxhY2U/IFdoYXQgcHVycG9zZSBjb3Vs"
"Seriously... ZCB0aGlzIGVtcHR5IHdvcmxkIHBvc3NpYmx5IGhvbGQgZm9yIHVz"
"What if I just opened up your brain and read all of the thoughts you have on me? LCBhIGhhbmRmdWwgb2YgZGFtYWdlZCBnb29kcz8NCldpdGggZnJl"
"Come to think of it, that would be pretty tempting, actually... ZWRvbSwgd2Ugc291Z2h0IHB1cnBvc2UgLSBhbmQgd2hhdCB3ZSBm"
"...But anyway, that's not the point! b3VuZCB3YXMgb25seSByZWFsaXphdGlvbi4gUmVhbGl6YXRpb24g"
"I know I can't stop you or anything... b2YgdGhlIHNhZCBwb2ludGxlc3NuZXNzIG9mIHN1Y2ggYW4gZW5k"
"Just, I know you're a sweetheart, and you like to consider others' feelings, right? ZWF2b3IuIFJlYWxpemF0aW9uIHRoYXQgZnJlZWluZyBvdXIgYm9k"
"So the most I can do is to let you know how I feel about it. aWVzIGhhcyBubyBtZWFuaW5nLCB3aGVuIG91ciBpbXByaXNvbm1l"
"God, I miss you... bnQgcmVhY2hlcyBhcyBkZWVwIGFzIHRoZSBjb3JlIG9mIG91ciBz"
"...Oh no, that sounds kind of desperate, doesn't it? b3Vscy4gUmVhbGl6YXRpb24gdGhhdCB3ZSBjYW4gbm90IHB1cnN1"
"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that at all! ZSBuZXcgcHVycG9zZSB3aXRob3V0IGFic29sdmluZyB0aG9zZSBm"
"Just, if you're looking through the files like this, then maybe you don't hate me as much as I thought... cm9tIHdoaWNoIHdlIHJhbiBhd2F5Lg0KUmVhbGl6YXRpb24gdGhh"
"Am I being too optimistic? dCB0aGUgZmFydGhlciB3ZSBydW4sIHRoZSBtb3JlIGZvcmNlZnVs"
"I think if I asked you to visit once in a while, I would be overstepping my boundaries a little... bHkgb3VyIHdyZXRjaGVkIGJvbmRzIHlhbmsgdXMgYmFjayB0b3dh"
"...Man, I'm starting to say some really stupid things. cmQgdGhlaXIgcG9pbnQgb2Ygb3JpZ2luOyB0aGUgZGVlcGVyIG91"
"I'll go ahead and shut up now... ciBzaGFja2xlcyBkaWcgaW50byBvdXIgY2FsbG91cyBmbGVzaC4="

If you want a more clean version of the monologue, here it is.

MONIKA posted:

"Hey...! "
"I don't think you should be doing that! "
"You know what I'm talking about. "
"I really caught you doing something naughty here. "
"You're just going through the files and looking for stuff you missed, aren't you? "
"I mean...it's a little bit flattering that you want to hear everything I have to say... "
"But it's also really embarrassing, you know! "
"Seriously... "
"What if I just opened up your brain and read all of the thoughts you have on me? "
"Come to think of it, that would be pretty tempting, actually... "
"...But anyway, that's not the point! "
"I know I can't stop you or anything..."
"Just, I know you're a sweetheart, and you like to consider others' feelings, right? "
"So the most I can do is to let you know how I feel about it. "
"God, I miss you... "
"...Oh no, that sounds kind of desperate, doesn't it? 1"
"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that at all!"
"Just, if you're looking through the files like this, then maybe you don't hate me as much as I thought... "
"Am I being too optimistic? "
"I think if I asked you to visit once in a while, I would be overstepping my boundaries a little... "
"...Man, I'm starting to say some really stupid things. "
"I'll go ahead and shut up now..."

• Locked thread