Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Psychepath posted:

Reverence for source material isnt something I'd often attribute to the dragon friends.

inthesto posted:

I 100% expected the Dragon Friends to treat Harry Potter with the respect that it deserves, and I was not disappointed.

I'm just often surprised by which people will unexpectedly treat Harry Potter in particular with weird reverence. I thought maybe Hing might've been one, but he knows about as little as I do so it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm honestly 100% shocked that when Hing asked if Harry Potter was in the car, that he didn't end up murdering Harry as fast and hard as possible. I genuinely didn't expect him to survive the encounter once he turned up. Maybe they got their blood-lust out of the way with Filch earlier in the episode.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

In the final episode of the tv show catastrophe, they refer to mike pence as a “microwaved apple looking motherfucker” and I feel that Hing should be owed royalties

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
New episode

For some bonus content, Dave on Story Club again and Hing is very good at interviews:

https://twitter.com/hingers/status/1111453312316899329

e: Looks like there's another big D&D streaming event in May, and the Dragon Friends are invited again!

inthesto fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 5, 2019

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'm sure it happens constantly but Dave doesn't have a chance to recover in the one-off specials so even I could notice, and I wonder what his original plans were for the somewhat abrupt ending. Pretty sure they didn't include that pre-quidditch adventure for one thing.

Binging FTAGH recently and getting near the end is like that scene in Interstellar where Coop sees his children's recordings. Hing and Ben bounce around various TV jobs every half hour or so for a while and Ben's kid practically appears between one episode and the next.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
New FTAGH

I am so loving delighted that Hing is running for Senate and that Ben and Dave once tried to start a fight club

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I don't know who to blame for the lifetime of darkness.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The mad bastard is really doing it

https://junkee.com/one-asian-michael-hing/201202

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

And NSW is such a loving mess that he'll get in too.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
How many podcasts get to have not one but two Australian senators appear on them?

I hope he gets voted in just so we can inevitably hear how his parents are still unimpressed by his career.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
In any other country we'd get attack ads with audio of "My blood is cum" and "Nine eleven that tower."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

How many podcasts get to have not one but two Australian senators appear on them?

I hope he gets voted in just so we can inevitably hear how his parents are still unimpressed by his career.

Surely it would at least bump him up a rank or two at christmas.

Psychepath posted:

In any other country we'd get attack ads with audio of "My blood is cum" and "Nine eleven that tower."

I still laugh sometimes thinking about that episode:

"should we just record a separate episode for the american listeners at this point?"

"no, I think they got that reference"

Also re: the most recent FTAGH; now that they've unlocked the secret technology of recording from two separate locations, I hope they'll use it to do the podcast more frequently. The audio was noticeably a little sketchy at times but I'll readily take it over no episode at all.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

If Hing records his audio from the senate chamber, will FTAGH be the first podcast with parliamentary privilege?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I wonder if attack ads are effective on someone that spends their time roleplaying as a genocidal warlock with a weird very normal chongus.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I have to imagine that there's a pretty significant part of the Australian population that would be more enticed to vote for a genocidal warlock.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Testekill posted:

I wonder if attack ads are effective on someone that spends their time roleplaying as a genocidal warlock with a weird very normal chongus.

https://twitter.com/hingers/status/1116630880485662720

https://twitter.com/hingers/status/1116633082021335040

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I remember seeing Ben retweet a post by Hum where she says that one night Hing tapped on her vagina and said "Is this thing on?"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://play.acast.com/s/dragonfriends/-5.01.i-mareallooseunit

We're back baybee

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Very strong opening, I’m into it so far. Dave has only himself to blame for what happens to him in this episode

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Very strong opening, I’m into it so far. Dave has only himself to blame for what happens to him in this episode

lmfao I can't believe dave both told michael hing he could create whatever class and character he wanted, and also put the party in a position where they can give NPCs orders

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I'm very excited for the new party member Crawford the drunk talking pelican and everything they stand to add to this new season. Very exciting development.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I thought I was gonna miss Freezo but no this is gonna be fantastic. To be fair I also figured that they removed Freezo from the board because Hing was busy on other projects (and also running for the senate I guess????) so I'm just glad he's still around to come up with bizarre overelaborate plans that usually result in death.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It's nice to be back in Daggerford again (or whatever the whole fantasy land is called). Not that I have any idea where the plot is going to go but lowering the stakes versus the last season or two is good

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

uvar posted:

It's nice to be back in Daggerford again (or whatever the whole fantasy land is called). Not that I have any idea where the plot is going to go but lowering the stakes versus the last season or two is good

Between the season 5 cover art and the fact that the plot hook is "the insane asylum is overcrowded", it's pretty clear that the setting for this season will be a fantasy-themed Call of Cthulhu.

Also, was Hing's voice for Lionshield Banknote a reference to an actual famous person?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

uvar posted:

Yeah season 4 was fairly incomprehensible (and 3 might have been hard too if I weren’t already familiar with shadowrun) so I’m happy to be back on relatively normal ground; that said, we haven’t really got into the meat of things yet so who knows how many left turns into crazy town could be coming.

Dave found a good act break for the end of the episode but I can’t help but wonder how far the draggos were supposed to get according to what he had planned, because they really did waste quite a bit of time (and I’m here for every second of it)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
At this point, if Dave doesn't deliberately build in time for the players to waste on long goofs, that's really on him

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
There's no way to tell what exactly they'll waste time on, though. Dave's decent at baiting hooks, but they'll just dig for dumb poo poo. Then following up with the cabbage man almost certainly wasn't intended.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
How am I supposed to root for Lionshield Banknote with so little information about his chongus?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
This first episode really messed with my head. Hing not being there at the start made me think he had other commitments or something, then ten minutes into the ep there was a very distinct Hing cackle coming from the audience and I started second guessing myself. Finally 15 minutes later he gets pulled onstage.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
trying to find tom walker's standup on you tube, but struggling because he apparently shares his name with the guy who plays unfunny alan partridge impersonator jonathan pie

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Vote Hing!

https://twitter.com/hingers/status/1122970389037010945

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's not quite Dragon Friends day yet, but Hing was just on a show with Wil Anderson. He gives a bit of the inside scoop on his campaign, and reveals that he's actually a pretty good guy:

https://www.tofop.com/wilosophy1

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i really want Dave to be right about the feathers/petals thing even though ive never heard it used that way in my life. unless maybe hes taking about featherflowers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verticordia

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The fact that Ben is ostensibly the co-DM just makes it all the more delightful when his short attention span derails the story

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Every once and awhile I pause during my day and think about Ben trolling Dave with his voice choices in season 2. Droopy Dog, Droopy Dog, Droopy Dog, and then something like "Oi cunts, welcome to me castle!" Bogan Strahd was so good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

poor life choice posted:

Every once and awhile I pause during my day and think about Ben trolling Dave with his voice choices in season 2. Droopy Dog, Droopy Dog, Droopy Dog, and then something like "Oi cunts, welcome to me castle!" Bogan Strahd was so good.

It all coming to a head when count strahd finally speaks and Dave loses it with “NO! WE TALKED ABOUT THIS BACKSTAGE, BEN!” is the most magical thing

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I'm loving the complete turnabout in this episode where a character is losing their mind over accidentally killing someone and the rest of the party is like "dude its fine really, just move on. this happens A LOT"

Compared to that encounter years ago where they're trying to get cultist robes

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I can't believe they hand-waved away the death of the most important new character Crawford. I'm devastated.

I also like the Alex hasn't really lost a step in playing Philge, and Ben hasn't even remotely gained a step in playing NPCs at all. Very excited for this arc.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I get to see actual goblin Demi Lardner tonight and I'm equal parts excited and terrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://twitter.com/GoesByBees/status/1119708611113037824

e: Also, I love Tom and Demi on both this show, FTAGH, and bst.png, but for some reason their stand-up just doesn't resonate with me? Does anyone else feel the same way?

inthesto fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 6, 2019