Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPEYpryMp2s
Solo: A Star Wars Story opens May 25th in all theaters known to man (and Wookie)

Welcome to the Star Wars thread!
This thread is the general Star Wars Movie megathread. If you want to talk about spoilers relating to Solo: A Star Wars Story or other upcoming Star Wars movies (because there's a lot of them), please head over to the spoiler thread. If you want to talk about whether the prequels are bad or if droids are people, you've come to the right place. Use this thread to talk about any and all things related to the Star Wars movie universe. Talk about other Star Wars material is allowed, but try to keep the discussion on the rails of the movies and not how much you want a Porg toy.

List of Upcoming Star Wars movies
There's a lot of Star Wars movies coming out. Disney, not satiated with the millions alone they could make out of three more movies, has decided that they will be releasing side films, known simply as Star Wars Anthology movies. The first of these, Rogue One (or Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) has already been released and there are plans to make at least two more. But everyone knows they'll just keep cranking them out.

The upcoming Star Wars movies are as follows:
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018
  • Untitled Anthology film (possibly Boba Fett origin story) - ???
  • Star Wars Episode IX - December 20, 2019

:siren: Thread Rules :siren:
These threads bring out a lot of emotion out of nerds people, so I need to set some ground rules.
  • DO NOT MAKE THIS THREAD ABOUT SPECIFIC POSTERS. People can watch movies differently than you. Have a conversation about it, don't just call them a troll. If you think someone is actively trrolling, report them. Especially Tezzor.
  • NO OPEN SPOILERS FOR FUTURE RELEASES Talking about casting, behinds the scenes drama, general plot points, etc. is fine but do not post detailed plot rumors in this thread. That is what the spoiler thread linked earlier is for.

I'll be adding some more rules as the releases of the movies get closer, but for now enjoy talking about wars in the stars.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Yup, that had a lot of spoilery poo poo.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This guy Snoke, is always talking about some bull poo poo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I am a fan of the glaceon

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm so emotional right now.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

4 > 5 > R1 > 1 > 3 > 6 > 7 > 2. Droids are people.

:getin: on the thread title.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

gently caress. I will not watch that trailer. I will not watch that trailer.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

teagone posted:

gently caress. I will not watch that trailer. I will not watch that trailer.

Why not

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ugh.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Rian was right, it was full of spoilers

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

cool trailer but man every line of dialog they made hamill say sounded awful

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad to see that it seems like they'll be following up on Rey having crazy amounts of raw power.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
That little seal yapping beside Chewbacca.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Because:

Munkaboo posted:

Yup, that had a lot of spoilery poo poo.

TheBuilder posted:

Rian was right, it was full of spoilers

So far I've only seen a behind the scenes sizzle and the first teaser. I want to go in absolutely clean in December. I spoiled myself silly for The Force Awakens in comparison.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Omg that last scene

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Why is Poe on the bad guy side of the poster

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'm glad to see that it seems like they'll be following up on Rey having crazy amounts of raw power.

i can't imagine they wouldn't have, it's the closest thing to a personality beat that tfa gave her

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

teagone posted:

Because:

So far I've only seen a behind the scenes sizzle and the first teaser. I want to go in absolutely clean in December. I spoiled myself silly for The Force Awakens in comparison.

Doesn't nobody know what's a spoiler and what isn't because the movie isn't actually out yet?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rip Testes posted:

That little seal yapping beside Chewbacca.

porg! I'm buying ten

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Now we are all sons of bitches.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I sure am tired of all these star wars

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

I'm not. It's lazy. It's like when a popular series regular leaves, so the producers panic at the thought of losing popularity, so they replace that character with someone who's just like them, but they overcompensate by telling the audience that the new character is even better than the last one.

It's something the EU would do. "Think Luke and Vader were powerful? Well, these new characters are better than them because they're even more powerful!"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Episode Great

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This movie looks like poo poo. Was hoping for something a little more character-driven since it's Rian Johnson but judging by the trailer this movie's going to be 90% explosions and second unit footage like the last one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

I'm not. It's lazy. It's like when a popular series regular leaves, so the producers panic at the thought of losing popularity, so they replace that character with someone who's just like them, but they overcompensate by telling the audience that the new character is even better than the last one.

It's something the EU would do. "Think Luke and Vader were powerful? Well, these new characters are better than them because they're even more powerful!"

It seems like its gonna actually be a plot point though. Not just upping the stakes for no reason.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you divide the number of Star Wars by the number of years in the universe there really hasn't been that many

Serf
May 5, 2011

Well, that looks interesting actually.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I feel like it's really only spoilery if you repeatedly rewatch and dissect it. Mostly outside of a couple of moments I just have a lot of fleeting impressions of places and characters. There's one big part in particular that's almost certainly a fakeout (Ren targeting Leia), and the rest are moments you could probably predict would happen (although Snoke and Rey is a surprise).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I like that Kylo and Rey are stronger than Yoda

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Phobeste posted:

Doesn't nobody know what's a spoiler and what isn't because the movie isn't actually out yet?
Yeah I'm not sure. There are a few things in that trailer that may be just clever editing to make it look like certain things are going to happen. I don't think it shows too much.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

It seems like its gonna actually be a plot point though. Not just upping the stakes for no reason.

So was Starkiller base. "It's like the Death Star, but better!" Rey and Ren can't just be Force users, they have to be the most powerful force users, ever!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, Ben taking a shot at Leia and Rey seeking advice from Ben are almost certainly fakeout trailer edits.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This movie looks like poo poo. Was hoping for something a little more character-driven since it's Rian Johnson but judging by the trailer this movie's going to be 90% explosions and second unit footage like the last one.

You remember the Blade Runner 2049 trailers? Yeah, that turned out the same right

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Well he's only like two feet tall.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Davros1 posted:

I mean, the difference between raw power and what you do with that power is a running theme throughout Star Wars, and it seems in line here with how it's been used in the past. I didn't get the impression from TFA or the TLJ promotional materials that Rey's power is inherently supposed to make her better in our eyes, but rather that it's going to feed the main conflict for her through these movies (like it did for Anakin and Luke).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the gorilla arm at-ats rule

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like it when the star wars have light sabers and it looks like this one delivers!!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rawillkill posted:

You remember the Blade Runner 2049 trailers?

no, because they barely advertised the drat thing!!!!

(it better be good, i'm seeing it this weekend)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mastershakeman posted:

Thats a big assumption from the glimpses. In my head cannon Yoda will always be king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't like "porgs"