Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

KVeezy3 posted:

To be honest, I have trouble cohering TLJ's politics, so it would be helpful if someone could take the time explain them to me. Like what does Kylo stand for?
Literally nothing. A lot of the point of TLJ is that "the Dark Side" isn't a point of view. Actual evil is angry, petty and shallow. Kylo's whole "Let the past die" schtick is revealed to be a complete joke as it's clear that he can't let go of the past, and ultimately fails because of that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nobody knows. I guess people think I had anything to do with Blockbuster video. I just thought that this would be fun because people like Star Wars.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i mean i guess it's not as dumb as that time games made a whole subforum for two boring open world games that had nothing to do with each other

still kinda dumb though

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This is by far the most boring point to talk about star wars in the last 5 or so years, so the timing is perfect to be sure

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Making a separate star wars subforum specifically to avoid SuperMechaGodzilla is extremely funny to me

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

what does this mean
Too much time on the computer

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

KVeezy3 posted:

To be honest, I have trouble cohering TLJ's politics, so it would be helpful if someone could take the time explain them to me. Like what does Kylo stand for?

If I had to guess, I'd say that The First Order are neo-Nazis and Bad, and Canto Bight is the Military Industrial Complex and Bad. Not that either of these should be especially controversial, but you know how people are.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Calibanibal posted:

Making a separate star wars subforum specifically to avoid SuperMechaGodzilla is extremely funny to me

He's the master.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i like posting about star wars

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Calibanibal posted:

SMG is Royalty. Reach Heaven through Posting.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Calibanibal posted:

"This is getting out of hand! Now there are two of them!"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I am the ultimate killing machine.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Literally nothing. A lot of the point of TLJ is that "the Dark Side" isn't a point of view. Actual evil is angry, petty and shallow. Kylo's whole "Let the past die" schtick is revealed to be a complete joke as it's clear that he can't let go of the past, and ultimately fails because of that fact.

That’s fairly inaccurate; even before he’s aware of the specific plot, Ben Solo (not Kylo) is working against Palpatine’s efforts to push antichrist figures Rey and/or Luke Skywalker into becoming leader(s) of the New Republic.

Rey’s dream is to be a worker - a starship mechanic. But Satan, across two films, pressures her to take up the accursed sword. “[The sword] calls to you!” All those ‘triumphant’ displays of power against the space Soviets are Rey (and Luke) giving in to the Dark Side - and you don’t need ROS to tell you this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Han Solo named his son after some old dude that he gave a Lyft to and then watched get killed by his future father in law.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Detective No. 27 posted:

Han Solo named his son after some old dude that he gave a Lyft to and then watched get killed by his future father in law.

To be fair, Ben is Leia's son, too, and Obi-Wan for whatever reason was the one person in the universe that Leia trusted the most to save her in her darkest and most dire hour.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzujpplt-0M

(the best part of this video is the extremely lovely flute rendition of the main theme)

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 22, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Named him after the alias of some old dude!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

ungulateman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzujpplt-0M

(the best part of this video is the extremely lovely flute rendition of the main theme)

This video made me realize there's a shot in TLJ when Finn pratfalls into space horse poop. :chloe:

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Horizon Burning posted:

This video made me realize there's a shot in TLJ when Finn pratfalls into space horse poop. :chloe:

Poetry, etc.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think I just realised I've of the things I disliked about Rise was Finn got done dirty. His relationship with Rose chucked, something he meant to say to Rey but just never did, finds other former troopers and it doesn't really go anywhere narratively and makes him less special. It's Rey's saga but he and Poe are very near top billing in my mind. I think the very first footage shown of the new trilogy was him coming round on Jakku.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think I just realised I've of the things I disliked about Rise was Finn got done dirty. His relationship with Rose chucked, something he meant to say to Rey but just never did, finds other former troopers and it doesn't really go anywhere narratively and makes him less special. It's Rey's saga but he and Poe are very near top billing in my mind. I think the very first footage shown of the new trilogy was him coming round on Jakku.

It was. Rumors also suggested that he was the protagonist for some significant part of the production where Rey was, well, the Finn. Remember the big controversy about how there were so few Rey toys? That's said to be part of the reason.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

say what now

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Horizon Burning posted:

It was. Rumors also suggested that he was the protagonist for some significant part of the production where Rey was, well, the Finn. Remember the big controversy about how there were so few Rey toys? That's said to be part of the reason.

A lot of promo images of him with the lightsaber, and I think Awakes was telling us he was Force sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Hello Star Wars friends of CineD.

It has long been debated over the necessity of two Star Wars threads in CineD. I understand that a Spoiler Free, more chill Star Wars thread was a nice thing to have while we were awaiting the outcome of the latest trilogy. Now that Rise of Skywalker has had over a month to be seen, I feel comfortable closing one of the Star Wars threads. This has been a thing I've been thinking about since I became a mod, but there was never a good time or way of doing it.

However! Now we have an entire subforum for Star Wars! Yay!

Since there is plenty of room in that subforum, it seems even more redundant for this thread to exist. All things Star Wars must come to an eventual end, so new iterations can begin.

The Star Wars Spoiler Thread will still be CineD's singular Star Wars thread. And even that will be getting a reboot in the near future*, as we prepare for whatever Disney decides will make the most money while disappointing the most fans.

If you have questions or anything, as always, you may PM me or try to contact me on Discord, and I will respond when I get the chance.

May the Force be with you!

*If you have ideas or interest in helping to make a new singular Star Wars thread for CineD, please also PM me.