Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Roman saying you have to wait for a really good steak is a dumb metaphor because a good steak only takes a few minutes to cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

a new study bible! posted:

Not if you are ordering your steak well done as God intended. Then there's the extra wait after you have to remind the waiter that he forgot to bring you a bottle of catsup.

The true wwe experience.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Roman is fine in the ring. But that's all he is. He's great at following a structured planned out match and that's it. He's not trying to innovate or change the game. He goes out has his matches and that's it

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

I think Roman is pretty bad at selling though. He's goofy as hell when he sells, and his offense is crap.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

The reason romans matches with Braun worked so well was because they were heavily scripted and heavily gimmicked.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

oatgan posted:

undertaker gassing out early and screwing up the finish was very funny

Don't act like Roman wasn't partly to blame for that too. I mean taker def deserves the majority of that but Roman didn't help much to save his rear end. He can't improvise.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

VJeff posted:

If he were really The Guy, he would've done a Scorpion Death Drop at that moment.

Or just not keep on trying the same thing 3 more times.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Tye is actually very good in ring.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Tye will never be a Main eventer to build a company around. But dude is always over, is good in the ring and can lose without it hurting his overness. Give him small title runs every once in a while and he will be a good dude to have for a while.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

reignofevil posted:

I'm genuinely curious for anyone present who feels like Roman' s matches are... let's say good enough? What are some matches of his you have liked and what did Roman contribute?

Seriously I promise not to bite I just wanna hear what you've got to say.

His matches are super mediocre to me. But there are so many people who were wayyyy worst than him. He's confident in the ring, has good timing, and his psychology isn't terrible. I'll never list any of his matches as my favorites ever. In ring though he is fine. Jinder however wrestles like a first year wrestling student. Every match he has is a veteran leading him carefully through simple easy spots, and when they need a couple bigger bumps they just throw in the Singh brothers.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Blaise330 posted:

Sami WISHES this was the deal he got.

Tye isn't bad. He's at least as good as...... Adam Rose I guess.

He's better than Adam Rose because he has a more genuine charisma.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

I love wwe making a bigger deal out of the bullet club invasion than anyone else in the entire wrestling world.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Calling any wrestler a try hard is the dumbest thing to me. You find a thing that works and you exploit it. That's wrestling. They honestly didn't do poo poo wrong in their bullet club invasion. They don't owe anything to wwe. That being said though how can you fire a guy for a picture with people. That doesn't make sense to me.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

It's actually a cool name.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Aphrodite posted:

Club is not a cool sounding word. It makes some sound childish, or dad-ish.

Bullet Brothers. That's a name.

Bullet brothers is the dumbest name I've ever heard.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

I still wish we could just get Meltzer as the Bucks manager. And Meltzer could bring out physical copies of the observer where the bucks already have five stars for their matches.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Aphrodite posted:

The Bullet Era

That doesn't mean anything.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

rovert posted:

It isn't. To my understanding, there was no space on the DVD set for those matches.

Aries/Neville was on the main card until Twitter thought having the Smackdown Women's title match on the main card would end sexism and campaigned for it to be changed.

That's a bullshit excuse by wwe If I've ever heard one.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

My favorite PWG match had Candice LaRae get kicked in the head with thumbtacks and it was really cool live and it was very fun. I liked it ok thank you bye.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

projecthalaxy posted:

What is RINGS please

It was a worked mma company.

I believe Kane worked there at one point.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

VJeff posted:

Finally, somebody he can lift.

I'll believe it when I see it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Goddamn Roman is annoying.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Gonzo McFee posted:

Not as annoying as Cody Rhodes, the only man to be less entertaining after leaving the WWE.

I've enjoyed Cody on the indies. He's a hard worker. He draws well, and everyone seems to like him. I also think he's had some pretty good matches.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Codependent Poster posted:

Cody Rhodes sucks.

Nah he's pretty good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Codependent Poster posted:

* citation needed

Has fun matches, is good on the mic, plays his character well, everyone likes booking him because he is a professional and draws good sized audiences.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Maxwell Lord posted:

Cody is a good wrestler. The Beautiful Disaster always looks great.

He also has great psychology.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

MassRafTer posted:

Cody isn't close to the level of Roman when it comes to timing, psychology or big match quality. Not even close. The stupid "Doctor Doom" gimmick killed all the momentum he had with Dashing Cody Rhodes and hurt his career in a big way. Awful gimmick.

Romans timing is good but his psychology is loving awful. He tells the same story every single match, and constantly does things just because even though there is no rhyme or reason.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

MassRafTer posted:

Except his matches always peak at the right time. The guy is absolutely fantastic at building a match and manipulating crowds. There's a reason the ending stretch to Roman Reigns title matches are red hot. Meanwhile Cody's big ROH matches never seem to peak right. They start to reach a higher gear and then end suddenly, or plod along.

I can't remember the last time the crowd was truly red hot for a Roman match. Other than the Braun matches which are gimmicked to the core to the point where it's literally him and Braun waiting around for each other to hit their super planned spots.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

I think Roman is a dude who can follow instructions very well, but if he was put in a match with no real training wheels we would see him fall apart pretty fast.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

MassRafTer posted:

At this point big WWE matches are going to be gimmicked to an absurd degree that you better be able to master it. The best main roster match that wasn't is what, Cena/AJ which was two dudes doing big moves and near falls five minutes into the match. It's a big move and stunt in ring product.

And I realize that but at least with a move after move spotfest I can see their true athleticism still come out where as the Roman/Braun matches they really are just glorified movie fights with break away gimmicks everywhere. I don't really enjoy that kind of match at all. Especially when they are standing around looking lost until they have to stand on their mark and hit the next spot.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

And the thing is I'll give a pass to guys like AJ or Owens or even Cena for certain types of matches because I've seen those dudes work for years and I know what they are capable of, and I can see what they're doing in ring. Roman on the other hand has been ultra protected from day one.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

tweet my meat posted:

Roman Reigns is a really good wrestler and the anger people hold towards him is misdirected and should actually be turned on the people doing the booking.

Roman reigns' booking is the absolute strongest in the entire wwe. His booking is put over at the expense of every other wrestler in the company.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

My problem with Roman has never been that he can't have a decent match in ring. He can it's the fact that dude has no personality in ring as far as offense is concerned. He's can't fly, he's not technical, his power moves aren't that powerful. He's supposed to be a striker but his strikes always look weak. He just kind of exists to have WWE style matches.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Maxwell Lord posted:

Roman is over but he's not over enough to be The #1 Guy. Of course at this point NOBODY is, which is the problem, but I don't see why that's being taken out on someone who was quite good with the company and was not quite used to his full potential.

Seriously it's a weird pattern with this board. "This company sucks at building stars! They don't push new people!" :Guy leaves: "Ah, that bastard was always terrible."

It's like we've internalized this Brass Ring bullshit and actually believe the people who didn't make it in the company Just Weren't Good Enough.

Everyone takes it out on Roman because he is put over as the top guy who has all the biggest matches and every veteran puts him over as the best guy and then in interviews he'll go off on how fans are dumb and they don't get how great he is.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Jackie D posted:

ok but it was bad

Yeah it was boring as all hell except where cena was being insanely charismatic.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Cody's feud with Stephen Amell was surprisingly fun and well done.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

BrigadierSensible posted:

The thing is, it'd be so easy to get internet fans to like, or at least hate Roman less.

Have him show some of his real personality and play some vidja games with his cousins and Xavier on UpUpDownDown.

Even if he didn't do anything cool or fun, seeing him interact with the Uso brothers goofiness as a real person would soften fans views of him and make watching him win all the time easier to take.

Based on his interviews he seems like he buys into his hype a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Trying to push Roman as an underdog was always strange too. Dude is in no way an underdog. He's a handsome athletic wrestler who has had the companies blessing from day one. Who the hell is going to buy him as an underdog.

• Locked thread