Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Kanye West - Touch the Sky

cams posted:

this is not true why do people keep saying this

roman is probably one of the worst workers wwe has on their roster. i legitimately feel i am being gaslit when people say he is anything but bad.

His matches are extremely good. For comparison I suggest watching a match with a noted awful worker like Bray Wyatt, or Seth Rollins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

shiksa posted:

he was saying that they try to keep characters and storylines original in wwe, rather than "do too sweet and do stuff you loved from the 90s" which, i mean, is basically a name drop.

WWE fans: "All WWE does is rehash old Attitude Era poo poo instead of trying everything new."

Roman Reigns: "people need to stop rehashing poo poo from the attitude era"

WWE fans: "you bitch motherfucker"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Dolph Ziggler is insanely bad at selling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

His matches are very good and experts like Dave Meltzer and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin complement him constantly on how good they are.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

VJeff posted:

Those guys basically rate WWE with training wheels on.

Except Dave can be a real ballbuster on WWE/NXT tag team matches, for whatever reason.

Yeah I forgot the meme with Dave's ratings wasn't "Not in Tokyo Dome ****3/4", it was "Not in WWE ****3/4"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Yes, wrestling will surely regain the popularity it once had if they strive for *realism* and everyone will totally buy it, even though no one ever bought wrestling being real even back during the famous Smoke Filled Bingo Hall days of yore

yeah this is why films routinely put laughy jokes about how they're fake in them because nobody actually believes they're real. books, too, are filled with notes calling the reader a dumbass for thinking fiction is real

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ha the limited success of an obscure non touring wrestling promotion on a channel most people haven't even heard of proves my point

"limited success" is a great euphemism for losing shitloads of money and selling Zero Tickets

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Lucha Underground is a promotion with a tiny, vocal fanbase which sells Zero Tickets, loses tons of money, and is only alive because of money marks. It is basically TNA.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Limited success is a synonym for unsuccessful, not a synonym for "a little bit of success"

I cannot believe I have to point that out

then why would it being unsuccessful prove your point

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Amount of money made is also a terrible indicator of anything. Lucha Underground is a good show with bad management so it makes poo poo money. WWE is a terrible show that knows how to make money. Success is not an indication of quality.

wrestling is about getting asses in seats. it is show business. there are promotions that sell tickets specifically based on quality, but for whatever reason this poo poo isn't working for LU.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The turn off to inter gender violence comes when the woman is implicitly suggested to be inherently inferior.

the turn off happens when a man beats the poo poo out of a woman on live TV, which is what will inevitably happen when you book them with parity in a non-comedy match

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

*the undertaker brutally powerbombs a woman through a table after beating her with a chair* this is woke

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Basically you have two different arguments going here, the inherit ickiness of filmed situations in which a man fights a woman (valid) and another argument against the realism of someone smaller fighting against someone bigger, which is super spergy and dumb

wrestling is not a comic book, or an action movie, it is a worked sport.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

It is completely a comic book action movie. No one considers wrestling remotely a sport and no one ever has

It is presented as a sport. There are ridiculous gimmicks or comedy matches depending on which promotion you want to watch but the core of it is a worked wrestling match where someone tries to pin someone else. I'm not saying every promotion is RINGS or some poo poo but especially during its most successful periods, it's been presented as a sport (which everyone knew was worked).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Brawl for All was literally them going

"and now for some REAL FIGHTING"

Yeah and it was a total failure and everyone hated it, because as it turns out nobody likes it when you treat the actual wrestling matches on your show like a total joke. See: Vince Russo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Corkscrew 630s dont happen in real sports and neither do canadian destroyers. Case closed imo

presenting wrestling as a sport does not mean that all wrestling promotions must be RINGS

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Volk Han has like 25 career worked matches or something and is still one of the best wrestlers ever

e) this is my ignorance of japan talking- i know japanese fans knew NJPW/AJPW/AJW etc were worked but wasn't there a lot of buzz initially that UWF/RINGS were real for a while?

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at Oct 12, 2017 around 19:52

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

schweens posted:

The Royal Rumble is intergender and that's canon

It's no DQ and very illegal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

I'm glad that we have all come to the logical conclusion that women should not be allowed to perform with their male peers and that anyone who supports it wants to see women getting beaten down in the middle of the ring for 15 minutes instead of an actual wrestling match.

Great post please post this in the UFC thread as well

this isn't me trying to make a point I think it'd just be funny if you posted it in the UFC thread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

I hope Jinder wins

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

cams posted:

i recognize that i may have a flawed perspective, what are considered to be the big dog's best in ring performances?

v. Bryan at Fastlane, v. Lesnar at Mania 31, and pick a PPV match against Braun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

cams posted:

it is funny cause if i were asked what my favorite reigns single match was, i'd say reigns vs brock because roman barely has any actual contribution to it whatsoever

the easiest role to play in a match is to kick rear end for 90% of it and have your opponent sell his rear end off for you. this is why Braun, who is still green, is super over.

• Locked thread