Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cams
Mar 28, 2003

Faustian Bargain posted:

Roman is fine in the ring
this is not true why do people keep saying this

roman is probably one of the worst workers wwe has on their roster. i legitimately feel i am being gaslit when people say he is anything but bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Faustian Bargain posted:

He's fine, he's not offensively bad, he's not the worst. I know these are faint praises.

The only things he does that he sucks at are his finisher (easily fixed by giving him anything else) and deadlifting people, no matter what Michael Cole says.
i do not think he is fine, i think he is one of the worst workers on the wwe roster. every "passable" reigns match i have seen involved him doing almost nothing except selling poorly and doing his comeback, which i think he executes poorly. you could take any reigns match and replace him with dolph ziggler and the match would be better because dolph at least sells well. actually dolph is a better wrestler than roman by every metric.

it was brought up earlier but roman has no improvisational skills, and the way his matches play out show it. as bad as his mania match with undertaker was, his mania match with trips was even worse. one of the most boring, plodding, unexciting matches i've seen, mostly because the gameuhhh has to CARRY him the entire time. the storytelling was entirely on his shoulders. roman is wrestling dead weight.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

based on the match sunday, which was the only time ive seen him wrestle, tye dillinger is orders of magnitude better in the ring relative to roman

i get holding wwe to a much, much lower standard than actual wrestling, but roman is bad even by those standards.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Actual wrestling" he says in the heaviest and wheeziest lisp ever

i'm well spoken, pretty, and my voiced is measured but deep and sensual. the "best" wwe matches would be middle of the road performances in almost any indy fed. wwe does spectacle well, which is fine, but they are not regularly putting on high quality wrestling matches. this shouldn't even be controversial, it's kind of their mission statement.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

dave doesn't like toru yano, who cares what his dumb rear end thinks

but he absolutely grades wwe on a curve

cams
Mar 28, 2003

who do you guys think are the biggest tryhards in the wwe? imo i feel it's sheamus and cesaro in the ring, new day with everything else.

i like it when people try hard.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

baybay

cams
Mar 28, 2003

cody is great marty is great

i have no strong opinions on hangman page

cams
Mar 28, 2003

to the rest of the world, america is guns and being obnoxious assholes. bullet club is the best name.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Junpei Hyde posted:

When was the last time a load of posts in a WWE discussion thread meant anything good.
june 25, 2007

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

Roman Reigns is very good at wrestling

i am being perpetually gaslit

cams
Mar 28, 2003

OGB posted:

OK, so, since we're kinda swirling around the normal Roman talk:

If not Roman, then who, should be the top guy?

Or are we in a phase beyond "THE" top guy? More of a late 90's-early 2000's era, with multiple top guy options?

If AJ, Cena, Roman, Seth, Dean, Braun, Joe, Bray and Finn were trading the title, I think we'd be in a good spot. Maybe even add dudes like Miz and Corbin as flukey-heel champs/challengers?

Is Brock as "sometimes champ" hurting the fed overall?

What would work best here, if tomorrow, Vince suddenly had a moment of clarity?

imo i would make kazuchika okada the guy

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Stale Saltines posted:

No full timer is anywhere near good enough to justify the Roman push
i don't think this is true at all. i think the issue is more that there is no one good enough who fits all the extra criteria of being the guy, including age, backstage personality, history, and degree to which their success would be entirely owed to the wwe thus reducing risk of them leaving for a better job.

roman is a very bad wrestler, even by wwe standards, but he so perfectly fits almost every other criteria that i really don't think they'll give up on him.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

I think I'm getting gaslighted
people have differing preferences and inclinations and therefore will evaluate the quality of things on different metrics

by my metrics, roman reigns is bad not due to booking or anything outside his control, but because he lacks almost all the qualities i value in a wrestler

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i recognize that i may have a flawed perspective, what are considered to be the big dog's best in ring performances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

People are still insane for mentioning the Lesnar match. The only notable part of that thing is the cash-in.
it is funny cause if i were asked what my favorite reigns single match was, i'd say reigns vs brock because roman barely has any actual contribution to it whatsoever

i'll watch roman vs bryan, aj, and owens.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Dude had good matches against Braun ffs.
i've seen a couple of these and i will strongly disagree

i don't really even strictly attack his physicality, it is his complete lack of psychology or interesting storytelling that i'm critical of. almost every time i watch a roman reigns single match i genuinely think that i am the victim of some meta joke and the match is going to end with someone killing roman and going "obviously he is awful at this, of course this was a joke."

i especially thought this watching his mania matches against hhh and taker. watching the hhh match was a strange, transcendental experience where i could not believe i what i was watching and that i was expected to accept it as a passable performance.

• Locked thread