Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I passed the 20K mark. I can't believe I've gotten so far, especially in this cold November...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I wrote barely over 700 words today, and with how much I've been struggling to put words down I'm only at 18,400. Barely passing muster! I don't know why I've been having such a hard time, and it's really bringing me down.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
After a very productive night, I'm now sitting at 23135. I may not be as far ahead as some people, but I'm keeping up the pace.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

2352 today takes me over the halfway point with a total of 26,636. Feeling good because later this week Holiday Retail starts and I'm going to be working overtime for the rest of the month :razz:

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Total word count is 37545. Another of those feel good moments the site doesn't give, when you hit the 3/4th point of total.

I also changed my goals. I really didn't think the rewrite I chose to work on would go so smoothly, but it's got over 90% of my words worked on this month. So I'm not likely to actually have a full final draft of anything by month's end, but I will have my 50K and this second draft at a better quality.

Also, one of these days I will write something without lesbians in it somewhere, but TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Over the hump! Three days early! H'ray!

I'm also not nearly as far into the story as I'd expected. Typical NaNo overwriting, I expect. "He glanced at the clock. Nine fifteen. He sighed and stared at the wall for what he felt would be at least ten minutes, then checked the clock again. Nine seventeen. What the hell, internal clock. He doubled down and stared even harder at the wall until he was certain, certain ten minutes had passed. One more look. Nine twenty-one. poo poo." Continue for three hours.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
What a coinky-dink, I'm over 25k now too! I usually don't do this well, most of the time I'm only barely keeping up if not fallen behind half a day by now. Although some of that might have to do with having worse sleep habits than usual...

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Only 1571 today because I was really busy but it'll have to do. I've still got enough of a buffer that missing one goal by 100 words isn't gonna kill me.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Do you guys break up stories into multiple documents? I've never written a document this long and I feel like it should be broken into parts, especially for the Google docs backup.

I'm not worried about my open office file, but editing a single endless document at the end seems like it would be a nuisance.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I keep the whole thing in a single document for ease of storage, although obviously the longer it gets the easier it is to break it up just so that it doesn't take forever to load. Use whatever makes you comfortable.

I've managed 2k for today so far, so I'm feeling a lot better about catching up from yesterdays abysmal 700 words.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I write in Scrivener, by hand in a notebook, and on a mobile phone. The first one is designed to have scenes or chapters split up into subdocuments by default, but even if not for that I'd separate things out because my phone freezes up kind of often and it's horrible trying to navigate a huge amount of text on it.

I've done terrible since the weekend, not so much because of lack of ideas but because my brain decided this month is a good time to clear out my video game backlog. My self control is utter trash.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

melodicwaffle posted:

I write in Scrivener, by hand in a notebook, and on a mobile phone. The first one is designed to have scenes or chapters split up into subdocuments by default, but even if not for that I'd separate things out because my phone freezes up kind of often and it's horrible trying to navigate a huge amount of text on it.

I've done terrible since the weekend, not so much because of lack of ideas but because my brain decided this month is a good time to clear out my video game backlog. My self control is utter trash.

Do you have the Scrivener iOS app? It's kind of a mess to transfer stuff to your main Scrivener doc (at least in my experience), but it's helped keep my ramblings organized.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Antiquated Pants posted:

Do you guys break up stories into multiple documents? I've never written a document this long and I feel like it should be broken into parts, especially for the Google docs backup.

I'm not worried about my open office file, but editing a single endless document at the end seems like it would be a nuisance.

One doc with all the words, one with any notes I have or made as I go along. I have Scrivener but I've never sat down and figured it out.

So there I was, 38 words from a new thousand number roll over.
Challenge accepted.
wrote 1k.
Sitting at 42k.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Antiquated Pants posted:

Chalk another reply up for Scrivener; everything is broken into scenes (I do chapters, myself). - plus a separate folder in the same file for notes, outlines, scrapped scenes, etc. But nah, before I had Scrivener I would just have everything in one long Open Office doc.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
My first (winning) NaNo I wrote everything in one massive Word document. Managing it got a little rough toward the end when I had massive empty spots and no idea where scenes fit in when. The next year I used multiple Word documents with a master text file to keep track of each file's wordcount. This is exactly as much of a pain in the rear end as it sounds. Since then I have used Scrivener and am very happy with it.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Do you have the Scrivener iOS app? It's kind of a mess to transfer stuff to your main Scrivener doc (at least in my experience), but it's helped keep my ramblings organized.

No, I'm on android. Scrivener PC still has a function for syncing with a folder, so I use it with onedrive and access it on a phone via the jotterpad app.

It's a bit involved just to set it up, but once it's done it's not a problem at all, just a matter of switching between scrivener and jotterpad directly. Though I'd still prefer a native app. It's baffling to me that L&L have no plans for android support because they think there's no audience for it and the effort isn't worth it. ???

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I use Google Docs for the login-and-go portability. Unfortunately, by the time I get to around page 100 Docs starts chugging, so I create a new file and go from there. It's not super ideal but it works.

I've been flirting with buying Scrivener for ages, but I really enjoy the freedom of being able to pound out some words at work, at home, on the iPad, etc. without having to install anything.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

melodicwaffle posted:

It's baffling to me that L&L have no plans for android support because they think there's no audience for it and the effort isn't worth it. ???

God is that really the reason they won't do it? That seems so weird for a company that released an unofficial desktop Linux version of it a couple of years ago just for the hell of it.

I do wish Scriviner was more "portable" but all its features have got me so spoiled at this point that I'm willing to put up with that admittedly large downside.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 14, 2017

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I have a separate google doc for each day. I straight up didn't write two days but I'm only about a thousand words behind schedule so that's nice.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Today's word count is 2144!! Also I just got over the 30,000 hump.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
And bringing up the rear is... me! With 14k! I finally got a good groove going, and it involved a bit of outlining.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

2216 today! I'm down to 1,090 words per day to finish on time and that sub-1000 is so close I can taste it.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
Broke through the 25k barrier on the 15th, so on target. Not bad for me, missed two entire days but have caught up and plan on trying to get on ahead. I've gone from a drone recon on a destroyed Siberian ex-missile site to searching for a grow operation in the middle of an MTB park.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

I did it again. As of 7:43 PST.

:toot:

Year 13 of wins in a row.

Now if I can just write another 42k this month I can have a lifetime count of a million.

But I kinda have to do the dishes at some point. And eat.

Now everyone else come here and join me in the winner's circle!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Congrats Neth!

I was three-and-a-half days ahead, but problems with the stupid Real World dropped me today to only three days ahead. But I did I hit 30 grand, so that's better than a poke in the eye.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Nethilia posted:

Now if I can just write another 42k this month I can have a lifetime count of a million.

You crazy son of a gun

I'm only up to 29K.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I'm at 32016, which means I'm a couple days ahead and still ahead of where I usually am. Whereas I usually am full of doubt over whether this year will be the one I break my streak, I'm feeling very confident about this year!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nethilia posted:

drat. Massive props. :toot:

I only hit 1338 today because I was super busy but I still have enough of a buffer that one or two days a bit off par isn't a huge issue. I'm up to 33,905 total!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm at 18,791. I'm slow but I'm getting there! :smith:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

28k, I made up a bit for my slacking this week by writing 3k of that today.

Also congratulations Nethilia! As usual you've left us all in the dust but it's all good.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

melodicwaffle posted:

28k, I made up a bit for my slacking this week by writing 3k of that today.

Also congratulations Nethilia! As usual you've left us all in the dust but it's all good.

Well done!

I haven't gone trolling through the nano site as yet, but does anyone know if there were any 18-hour superstars this time around?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I just finished my novel last night, at 50,141 words.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have also hit 50. :hf:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

Um, sorry to tell you, but the goal is 50 thousand.

congratulations all you winners

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mirage posted:

Um, sorry to tell you, but the goal is 50 thousand.

congratulations all you winners

I knew I was missing something. :smith:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Only 804 today as I head into Retail Hell Week. Thank god I was ready for it and have a five day buffer. I just plan on going all out on my next day off to help make up for it.

Congrats to everyone hitting 50k already!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Made it to 32K tonight, but I'm still not feeling my story yet. I'm going to have to wade through a lot of stuff before I get to what I really want to write.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Congrats to everyone who has already won!

Meanwhile, I've joined the under 1k a day club! With 38169 on the tally I've done... honestly, better than I've ever done. At this rate I can probably be done by the time the long holiday weekend is over.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Spark That Bled posted:

I just finished my novel last night, at 50,141 words.

Grand Fromage posted:

:toot: :sparkles: :eng101:

Congrats to everyone who has made it across the finish line!

The rest of you can do it! You may borrow some of my wordbeast powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Nethilia posted:

:toot: :sparkles: :eng101:

Congrats to everyone who has made it across the finish line!

The rest of you can do it! You may borrow some of my wordbeast powers.

Cool work and congrats to the early finishers! The last few days have been a right slog fest. It's really the point where "drat I suck at every part of writing" kicks in, and I need to tell myself to just harden up and write something. Anything. Who cares if it makes sense story line wise, just get those drat words done! So I've managed to drag myself kicking and screaming to a 1300 word lead over the projected daily total, so I'm determined to get over the line.

Go hard, fellow writers!

• Locked thread