Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I've given up. Might still try and write but it's been two days and I've been struggling to get out of a depressive slump, and I really don't think I'd be able to catch up at this rate. :emo:

ugh, what a lame snipe. Congrats to those of you ahead of the curve!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Sorry, CDOAN. I know how you feel, I've scuttled the NaNo ship as many times as I've won. Sometimes life overtakes you, and even when it doesn't, not every idea deserves a novel.

This year I'm learning a lot about my own process. For the first hour or so in front of the computer, I'm lucky to squeeze out 200 words, with lots of fits and starts and ughs and arghs and clutching of hair in hands. Then it's 600 to 800 an hour until I get exhausted. Cold starter, I guess.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Hmmm... it's the 20th and i have 68 words, all of which suck. I realize i'm now looking at 5000 words a day, which is probably impossible

It's not like I have anything else going on in my life, though, and there's a four-day weekend around the corner... I guess I'll give it my best shot, starting today.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Verification day! If you've made it, go get your shinies.

I have done this every year with a win since 2005, and the last six have been with all y'all. :toot:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Spokes posted:

Hmmm... it's the 20th and i have 68 words, all of which suck. I realize i'm now looking at 5000 words a day, which is probably impossible

It's not like I have anything else going on in my life, though, and there's a four-day weekend around the corner... I guess I'll give it my best shot, starting today.

Managed to slog my way through almost 3k yesterday. Kind of have an idea where I'm going now. look out, world!

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Nethilia posted:

Verification day! If you've made it, go get your shinies.

I have done this every year with a win since 2005, and the last six have been with all y'all. :toot:

That's hella impressive. We bow before your mighty wordsmithing.

Then again, you might be why the rest of us struggle - you keep stealing all the words! :-)

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I'm still here, just sort of lagging a bit because of real life nonsense (work? who needs that?) I passed 40k today and got to that wonderful "you need sub-1000 to finish on time" mark, so I'm still ahead of schedule!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Less than 8,000 words to the end. Feels like pooping out a bowling ball good man.

All year I've been writing a little every day, like 2-300 words a night, just to keep my hand in. But NaNo is a whole 'nother level that makes me feel like my brains are beings squeezed out of my head.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
Second novel finished thanks to Nanowrimo. These books had better make me some money, because I seriously need new glasses after this. The eyestrain is starting to get to me.

SafetyTrain
Nov 26, 2012

Bringing a knife to a bear fight
Down to less than 5,000 words on this poo poo. Feels really good. Taking the weekend off and finishing this thing on monday or tuesday.

Feels really good to not doubt whether I will finish and just know that it's easily going to happen.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

I broke 40k yesterday. This is my first year participating, and I'm having a blast. I haven't kept up w/ this thread, but I'll go back and read it. I'm excited about finishing up this last week of November!

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
47k. Hope to win at tomorrow's local write in so I can get real-time congrats from lots of different people.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I have to do 3131 a day each day. Gonna be rough but it's doing me okay for getting over my performance anxiety, which is the big thing.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

I landed 4,250 words yesterday. I have no idea how I did that.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I'm still doggedly moving along. This last week hit me like a freight train with real life poo poo but I'm close enough to the end that I know it's in sight. 47205! :thumbsup:

Good luck to everyone else in these last few days!

Arivia posted:

I have to do 3131 a day each day. Gonna be rough but it's doing me okay for getting over my performance anxiety, which is the big thing.

This is one of the big things I have to applaud NaNo for. It really helped me learn how to get over that sort of "if it's not perfect, I'm not going to write at all" hump.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
And one more joins the winner's circle. Now it's time to see how much I can add in the five days remaining...

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Oho, I only need 272 words a day to finish on time. I think I can do that!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Yes! Another NaNo win. As a prize, I got a book I've already read.

Squeaked in right before midnight, proud of my 2,000 word per day count, then added 20 words after midnight and now my daily count is 1,973. Grrrr.

But on the upside, my wife will get to see my face again. So that's nice.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

WINNER.

First attempt at a NaNoWriMo. Pretty excited to win on my first try.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I only got about 900 words in today. It was a special occasion. But I'm still sort of ahead with 44500 words. These last few days I'm going to try to jet this thing to the end.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Aaand I stumble in for the win! Just validated 50103. :toot: This story isn't finished yet (although it's fairly close), but I'm ready for a break.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
Done at a validated 50209. Not bad for hopping in on Nov 1 with no plan, and missing the first weekend entirely. It's drivel, but it's my drivel!

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Congratulations to all the winners so far, I hope to see you soon! I'm just below 45k now, but I've been starting to get back pains after a couple hours at my desk and it's been harder to keep at it :(

I'm just barely keeping up with par but still have a ton of material left (realistically I'm only about 2/3rds through the story). It kinda sucks when you reach November 30 and your story isn't anywhere near done, but right now I'm just aiming for that 50k in before the deadline.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm up to 48500 and honestly it's feeling good. For the last few days, I got 2-4 of my favourite albums lined up for listening so I stay inspired and have some good writing time even if I hit 50K.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I've been really good at sticking to par this whole time, if I dropped it one day I managed to get it back. Not the best strategy in case anything comes up but I've managed to keep on it.

Well today I was almost done with my daily amount and a friend challenged me to a word war and then I just kept going and did two whole days worth of writing today!

Total: 46727
Really excited to be able to complete my first NaNo ever, and I'm really enjoying my silly fantasy story!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Done and validated but boy did I screw up. It said to paste the text into the box. I did that. Saw nothing. Hit ctl V again. Nothing. Went back and copied again, went back and pasted again. Ctl V, nothing. Did it again. Finally I thought to scroll up...and of course, it was all there. It copied it every time. I just didn't see it.

So for awhile there it looked like I had done 250,000+ words.

I think I fixed it.

I may be too dumb to write a novel. At least on the computer. It took me half the month to figure out how to get to the place where you can put in a daily word count.

Anyway, I am still writing, because I need more words. When I edit, a lot of those words will disappear though.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm really thrilled that I'm up to 2500 words. Just 47500 more to go! I can do this. Ehh.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

50000!

I'll do a bit of writing on 29 and the 30th to even out the month, but by George I did something I didn't think I'd have the willpower to do!

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

DoubleCakes posted:

50000!

I'll do a bit of writing on 29 and the 30th to even out the month, but by George I did something I didn't think I'd have the willpower to do!

Yess I just finished tonight!

I even managed to complete it before my two friends that actively self-publish. They never really thought I'd even finish, and they both kinda scoffed at the idea that I would be even close to keeping up with them... Holy cow that feels good!

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Lost a few thousand words last night thanks to my laptop freezing and the scrivener autosave getting corrupted somehow :(
But with only 7000~ left I should still be able to get it done in time. Which will be a first haha.

Congrats to everyone who's finished!

SafetyTrain
Nov 26, 2012

Bringing a knife to a bear fight
Just finished. Slipped in at 50 250 words. Feels loving great!

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

I have 41500 words, a hosed up tropical disease, and nothing on my schedule for the next 36 hours other than sleep. Who's with me for for one final push?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

E Depois do Adeus posted:

I have 41500 words, a hosed up tropical disease, and nothing on my schedule for the next 36 hours other than sleep. Who's with me for for one final push?

I fell behind, and am at the same amount ish. Going to go to the gym, and then go finish this book.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Good job to everyone hitting the big 50k and good luck to everyone else in these final hours!!

I decided to write a bit more today and now I'm up to 52934 :woop:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Verified at 50,015! But I still have at least two and a quarter sections I want to do to finish the story proper, so hopefully I'll actually stay diligent and work on that through December.

Normally I'd say there's not a chance that's happening, there are video games waiting for me, but I literally blew nearly all of weeks 2 and 3 on my PS4 and still managed to stay on track for the most part. So now I know I'm at least capable of juggling work and play responsibly...

Also I ordered myself a little celebratory present last week, but it seems it got caught up with the rush of Black Friday deals right after and won't be coming until next week :( At least I don't have to cancel it.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
50,303! That was actually surprisingly painless.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I wrote a bit more today. Wrapping things up at 53,379.

Good luck to anyone in the final stretch!

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Word sprinting my rear end off to get passed the finish line. The last few pages of my NaNo book are basically "Here's all the cool poo poo I wanted to write but didn't get a chance to."

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Word sprinting my rear end off to get passed the finish line. The last few pages of my NaNo book are basically "Here's all the cool poo poo I wanted to write but didn't get a chance to."

You mean "all the cool poo poo I'm going to write in December," right?

Facebook is reminding me of last year when I won. :goleft: Maybe next year I'll do it again. Congrats to all the people who did it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Final count, 55,000. Now waiting winners page to update so I can get Scrivener 3.0 for $25.00 :). I was on track for 150,000until my back went out for two weeks and I literally couldn’t get out of bed. That was rough. At least I won.

• Locked thread