Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The doors opened to the San Diego Convention Center for the yearly San Diego Comic Con. Cosplayers flooded through the doors by the thousands. Unfortunately, they had no idea that tragedy was about to strike.

Welcome to Death and Deception at SDCC a Mafia game for 9 players

(This special Cinema Discusso game has been approved by GonSmithe.)

(This OP is mostly copied from Mafia god, Podima)

What is Mafia?
Mafia is a parlor game played around the world, centering on the concept of an uninformed majority competing against an informed minority. The "town" players (good guys) generally only know their own alignment, while the "scum" (bad guys) know who their teammates are and who they have to kill. The goal of the town is to eliminate all scum, while the goal of the scum players is to reach parity with the number of town players. Both scum and town often have special roles which will aid them in accomplishing their goals. There also may be players who are neither town nor scum, called Third Party or 3P, who may have alternate win conditions such as surviving until the end of the game or being the only person left alive. (Though there are no 3P in the Backup6 setup.)

Once the game begins it is divided into two phases: Day and Night.

During the day phase, all players discuss in the game thread who they believe is a member of the scum team, and then vote for that person. Our forums have a vote bot, Votefinder, which tallies votes that are formatted ##vote Playername (bold is required). Once one person has received a majority of the votes, that player is "executed" and removed from the game. They can no longer participate in the thread or in any private communications they had access to while alive. The moderator will post that person's alignment and role in the thread and end the day phase.

Once in night phase, there is no voting, and conversation may or may not be prohibited depending on the moderator. During this phase, the scum choose someone to kill. In addition, players with special powers can use these during the night. After all actions have been received by the moderator, they will announce who has died during the night and begin the next day phase where the cycle begins again. This continues until one faction has reached their win condition and the game ends in victory for Town, Scum, and/or 3P.

Helpful Links:
SA Mafia Wiki
SA Mafia Discussion Thread
(FLASH) Basic Guide to Mafia
(FLASH) Guide to Mafia Roles
Backup6 Setup Details

Sounds great! How do I play?
:siren: To sign up, just post in this thread indicating your interest. You must have PMs in order to play as that allows easy secret communication between me and you! After we have 9 players signed up, I will PM everyone information about their role and alignment.

This game is for new players only.

Once the game begins, the single most important thing you can do is POST! Posting is town's greatest weapon - you can discuss your suspicions with people, and catch scum in lies and fake cases. Remember, scum do not want to give away that they're bad guys, but they can and will slip up. It's up to town to catch and execute them! Don't worry about looking or sounding dumb - :justpost: and say what you think! That's how games are won!

This is a great write-up of how to play this game effectively as town: https://pastebin.com/aDwW41Kb

We will be using the Backup6 Open Mafia Setup.
The Town wins when every Mafia player has been eliminated.
The Mafia wins when they have control of the vote.

If you want access to Spectator/Dead chat discord, send me a PM.

Standard Mafia Rules:
  • NEVER EVER EVER EDIT YOUR PREVIOUS POSTS!
  • Do not talk out-of-thread about this game unless you specifically have a role that allows this.
  • Do not copy-paste your role PM or any other mod communication in this thread. Paraphrasing is OK, copy-pasting is not.
  • If you are dead (including having been somehow killed, whether by execution, night kill, or another method) or a spectator, please don't post in the thread after the game starts!
  • Don't break the spirit of these rules in general, please!
  • Most Importantly: HAVE FUN! Mafia is a fun activity with friends. Don’t make things personal. Don’t be a shitheel.

Player List:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread