Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Narcissus1916 posted:

What's the verdict on Stargirl? Worth watching?

Agree that Superman and Lois is superb. I'm midway through season 2 and the show just keeps sticking the landing.

Also its so weird everyone is calling the Arrowverse a failed experiment? CW built off a literal fleet of intertwining shows off of what started with a Low Budget Dark Knight.

I don't know anyone who is calling it failed, but it certainly dropped off a cliff in quality post-Crisis. If the whole thing had wrapped up there somehow, and not just Arrow, I think it would continue to be looked back on heavily fondly. But this is the CW we are talking about, where everything goes past a couple seasons where it should have, and so the whole thing ends with a wet fart. Though maybe Flash brings it back around and provides a fitting conclusion to the whole thing and gives people something good to hold on to at the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Also its so weird everyone is calling the Arrowverse a failed experiment? CW built off a literal fleet of intertwining shows off of what started with a Low Budget Dark Knight.

Only immortality counts as success, Law and Order/NCIS/MCU or bust.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yeah. Stargirl is very good, you should give it a watch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Klungar posted:

I don't know anyone who is calling it failed, but it certainly dropped off a cliff in quality post-Crisis. If the whole thing had wrapped up there somehow, and not just Arrow, I think it would continue to be looked back on heavily fondly. But this is the CW we are talking about, where everything goes past a couple seasons where it should have, and so the whole thing ends with a wet fart. Though maybe Flash brings it back around and provides a fitting conclusion to the whole thing and gives people something good to hold on to at the end?

Yeah, calling the Arrowverse a failure for this is like saying the MCU was a failure because of the drop off in fan interest after Endgame. Also there was a LOT more factors in the Arrowverse's unravelling that had nothing to do with the shows themselves like COVID-19 striking, Ruby Rose bailing on Batwoman and then the writing staff behind the show choosing the most boneheaded and awkward way to handle her departure, the CW being forced to start killing shows left and right because Warner Bros. was selling it, etc.

Hopefully The Flash doesn't buckle under the pressure of having to balance between wrapping up its own show and wrapping up an entire story universe as well.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I love Stargirl, it honestly beats out Superman and Lois for me, personally.

And I think the Arrowverse was super successful as a whole, but Covid really hosed up a good chunk of things.

Any kind of major crossover was put on hold due to scheduling logistics and testing protocols. These were always such a highlight and it's a bummer we didn't get one final one with the knowledge that it'd be the last time it would happen.

Black Lightning's final season just kind of came and went without much fanfare. Supergirl was sort of in the same situation.

Legends just kind of ended despite ending on a cliffhanger and a pretty big setup for next season.

Flash picked up in quality quite a bit recently but Season 7 and the beginning of Season 8 were rough as hell.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Fancy Hat posted:

I love Stargirl, it honestly beats out Superman and Lois for me, personally.

And I think the Arrowverse was super successful as a whole, but Covid really hosed up a good chunk of things.

Any kind of major crossover was put on hold due to scheduling logistics and testing protocols. These were always such a highlight and it's a bummer we didn't get one final one with the knowledge that it'd be the last time it would happen.

Black Lightning's final season just kind of came and went without much fanfare. Supergirl was sort of in the same situation.

Legends just kind of ended despite ending on a cliffhanger and a pretty big setup for next season.

Flash picked up in quality quite a bit recently but Season 7 and the beginning of Season 8 were rough as hell.

And it turned out that Ruby Rose was actually one of the main things dragging Batwoman down, and the show improved after she left, despite the writers' best efforts to continue to undermine it by turning Season 1 into Season 0 for the real show staring a brand new main character who they had to waste 20 episodes establishing and slotting into the pre-existing dramas rather than just recasting Kate Kane and continuing on like nothing happened.

Batwoman was a show that really pissed the internet off because it committed the cardinal sin of letting a woman do the same things a man does while pointing out that she was a woman doing the same things that a man does in a sassy tone of voice... But it was also one of the rare cases of the broken clock being right twice a day and it did in fact just kind of suck, divorced from weird and gross men being mad about a woman Batman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A real problem with Batwoman was how s2 tried to shake things up and do stuff differently, especially in regards to have a majority black cast dealing with law enforcement but then s3 just gave up on all that removing all social commentary by making Ryan the Wayne CEO. Also the absolutely completely loving bizarre decision to make it so that Ryan was secretly the child of a billionaire. Like you don't need to have special rich people blood to be a "Bat" hero.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

muscles like this! posted:

Also the absolutely completely loving bizarre decision to make it so that Ryan was secretly the child of a billionaire.

For whatever reason they decided to go very hard with the notion that superhero stories are just soaps by another name, because all the Jett family drama in season 3 was extremely soapy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Narcissus1916 posted:

Stargirl is worth watching. Not as great as Superman and Lois but still good. Stargirl season 1 is better than season 2. S2 is a bit of a drop off but overall still enjoyable.

I was sad that it moved from DC Universe to CW instead of HBO Max.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 2, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

For whatever reason they decided to go very hard with the notion that superhero stories are just soaps by another name, because all the Jett family drama in season 3 was extremely soapy.

I think it more like since they were on the CW, despite being a superhero show, they needed to be soapy (may also be because a lot of the series they have with lots of PoC are also really soapy)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Like you don't need to have special rich people blood to be a "Bat" hero.

Somebody didn't see the Batman Beyond Epilogue.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Dunno if there is somewhere more appropriate to discuss this but Ezra Miller is now apparently facing felon Burglary charges in Vermont according to my newspaper this morning. But the flash movie which will be definitely not terrible is still 100% coming out next year.

WTF happened to him? Only a few years ago he seemed like a lovely young man and how he is very rapidly becoming an absolute trainwreck?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

It's interesting that after losing Amell and the Arrow cast it felt like the Arrowverse felt directionless and was missing a bit of its heart? Like LoT still was one for a few years and was wacky and fun but Flash everything kinda fell apart.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's interesting that after losing Amell and the Arrow cast it felt like the Arrowverse felt directionless and was missing a bit of its heart? Like LoT still was one for a few years and was wacky and fun but Flash everything kinda fell apart.

I mentioned this maybe here or in the LoT thread, but a big part of what kept the Arrowverse feeling like a shared universe wasn't just major crossovers, it was minor crossovers. Like Felicity showing up in the Cortex or Cisco helping out in the Arrow Cave bunker or Diggle helping Flash beat King Shark or Felicity joining Iris's bachelorette party or Curtis talking to the Legends. I don't know if it was the burnout from Crisis on Earth-X or covid, but those little crossovers essentially stopped and everyone kept to their own shows.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Covid pretty much obliterated that sort of minor cross-over due to the quarantine time periods involved.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

This show is much more watchable if you skip every scene with Allegra and/or Chester.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ok show you were dead to me but I’ll check in now

quote:

Oliver Queen will team up with Barry Allen one last time in the ninth and final season of The Flash. The CW announced today that Stephen Amell, who starred as the title character in Arrow and also appeared in spinoff The Flash, will return to guest star in episode 909, joining previously announced David Ramsey (John Diggle aka Spartan), Keiynan Lonsdale (Wally West/Kid Flash) and Sendhil Ramamurthy (Ramsey Rosso/Bloodwork).

someone update the grave meme

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oliver Queen coming back from the dead again to kill the Arrowverse a second time because the first time didn't stick. Fuckin' legend.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Surprised they didn’t try and get Benoist as well.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I hope it’s just 40 minutes of Oliver looking disappointed at Barry and 40 minutes of Dig throwing up

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

I hope it’s just 40 minutes of Oliver looking disappointed at Barry and 40 minutes of Dig throwing up

Oliver has to shoot him at least once or why even bring him back.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oracle posted:

Oliver has to shoot him at least once or why even bring him back.

*Barry kneeling by Oliver’s grave*
“I miss you Oliver. I wish you were here to help me right now because I don’t know what to do and it’s all falling apart”
*arrow from offscreen hits Barry in the back*
“Barry how many times have I told you to check the perimeter”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WhyteRyce posted:

“I miss you Oliver. I wish you were here to help me right now because I don’t know what to do and it’s all falling apart”

"Oliver?! How did you--"

"NANITES, COURTESY OF RAY PALMER!"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It’ll be head Oliver the entire time. You know it will.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Better if it comes up out of the grave and hits him in the shoulder.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Slamhound posted:

Better if it comes up out of the grave and hits him in the shoulder.

And Oliver salmon ladders out of the grave

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

S9 trailer is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mW6nJ_e0P4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:flashfact:: Hey Iris, here's a creepy scrap book I made of our entire future together with everything important foretold to us down to the day!
Iris: :yikes:
:flashfact:: Wait, why are you upset?

9 years on and Barry Allen remains The Dumbest Man Alive.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

She should talk to him in the hall about it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m going to miss this dumb show when it’s gone.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

WhyteRyce posted:

She should talk to him in the hall about it

I'm not up to date on SA Flash memes since I stopped watching a while back; please tell me this is referring to something dumb like Dexter's black SUV.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Argue posted:

I'm not up to date on SA Flash memes since I stopped watching a while back; please tell me this is referring to something dumb like Dexter's black SUV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9QTeiFEaxs

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Show comes back this week. I’m gonna miss it when it’s gone, but it was definitely time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Closes out the entire Arrowverse. Superman doesn't really count since it's on a different Earth.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It really is the end of an era. Shocking to think back on what an enormous part of my life these shows have been and that at one stage they represented 5 hours of television per week.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I hope when it starts again it actually gets half decent for the last season. I'm not getting my hopes up though. Still bummed that they cancelled Legends on a cliffhanger. After so many seasons it deserved a finale, heck they could have wrapped it up in just 2-4 episodes. Still hoping DC puts out a comic or something to wrap it up.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I hope when it starts again it actually gets half decent for the last season. I'm not getting my hopes up though. Still bummed that they cancelled Legends on a cliffhanger. After so many seasons it deserved a finale, heck they could have wrapped it up in just 2-4 episodes. Still hoping DC puts out a comic or something to wrap it up.

The last season of Arrow was great, and the couple before that were as dismal as anything from Flash, so anything's possible.

I wish Legends got another season, but "all taken to jail for time crimes" is an incredibly appropriate finale all the same.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

The Lord Bude posted:

It really is the end of an era. Shocking to think back on what an enormous part of my life these shows have been and that at one stage they represented 5 hours of television per week.

It's crazy because just a few years ago we had Crisis on Infinite Earths and it seems like the possibilities were wide open.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

V-Men posted:

It's crazy because just a few years ago we had Crisis on Infinite Earths and it seems like the possibilities were wide open.

I think that last season of Supergirl was the tipping point for me. It was just so utterly crushed by budget and COVID to the point that parts of it felt amateurish. That was when I realized they were going to shut it all down soon. Crisis is still a pretty loving awesome achievement for something on the CW to pull off though. It's been a hell of a run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think the ownership shenanigans at the CW played a big role. I just hope S&L gets a few more seasons because that show is incredible. And I wouldn’t say no if Benoist wanted to make a guest appearance.