Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TwoPair posted:

I think the only characters in the whole Arrowverse with naturally occurring powers are all the aliens on Supergirl and Black Lightning's kids.

They're supposedly in this same world now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Not even he's necessary. There have already been several other Flashes. Super speed seems to be just about the most common metahuman power. Most seem to get wholly unique ones, but "speedster" isn't even just a category of metahuman, it's also possible to replicate the ability other ways as well. He's the most easily replaceable super hero.

Wholesome, melodrama- and technobabble-free Jay & Joan Garrick Golden Age Flash series when

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tiggum posted:

Not even he's necessary. There have already been several other Flashes. Super speed seems to be just about the most common metahuman power. Most seem to get wholly unique ones, but "speedster" isn't even just a category of metahuman, it's also possible to replicate the ability other ways as well. He's the most easily replaceable super hero.

This is technically true in the sense they could pivot to another flash, but Grant Gustin has been the backbone of the show for so long that if he leaves it's basically a different show. Very few shows survive the loss of the main character for very long (and the ones that do tend to have a larger ensemble to begin with so it's not as hard to lose one guy). At one point they just might have pulled it off with wally but the actor doesn't want to be a regular in the arrowverse any more so it would have to be someone new. I predict that if they ever try and keep the show going after Gustin leaves that it will last one season tops.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They can barely cobble together an overarching plot line that doesn’t involve evil speedsters. It’s ok to just end the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Yeah Frost's whole monologue really only works if there are mutants in the world. So I think like... just her? Literally everybody else in this show's cast wasn't "born" with powers like she says, they got them all when the particle accelerator exploded or via other accidents.

I think the only characters in the whole Arrowverse with naturally occurring powers are all the aliens on Supergirl and Black Lightning's kids.

"Naturally" as in they were pre-built into their genetics. Anissa and Jennifer still have the same meta power source as the other people in Freeland, but while those other people picked them up later, the Jefferson Kids were basically born with that genetic change already. (At least, this is what I can sorta surmise due to Tobias's Emitter working on them, but without any other points of refence to metahumans with alternate power sources, it's hard to say)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Isn't it that there are people born with a dormant meta gene that gets activated when exposed to things like dark matter, or green light?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Isn't it that there are people born with a dormant meta gene that gets activated when exposed to things like dark matter, or green light?

Iirc, they both can activate dormant ones, but for the majority of cases, they basically grew a new/artificial meta-gene. The only one on the Arrowverse wiki I can find listed as specifically having a dormant metagene activated is Gravedigger

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The cure thing was extremely stupid because they already have a temporary way to remove powers with the meta dampeners (like what Frost was wearing the entire episode.) There's no real argument for permanently removing powers. Also even if the judge sentenced Frost to take the cure it isn't like there would be a million appeals before something like that happened.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

muscles like this! posted:

The cure thing was extremely stupid because they already have a temporary way to remove powers with the meta dampeners (like what Frost was wearing the entire episode.) There's no real argument for permanently removing powers. Also even if the judge sentenced Frost to take the cure it isn't like there would be a million appeals before something like that happened.

Appeals don't exist in the Arrowverse. Immediately after sentencing the judge will order Joe to put on an executioners hood and inject Frost there in the court room.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Between the Luther trial on Supergirl and everything that happens on Flash, they should just send like one guy to watch court cases all day, or baring that just a bunch of Law & Order episodes to figure out how the legal system works.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

Between the Luther trial on Supergirl and everything that happens on Flash, they should just send like one guy to watch court cases all day, or baring that just a bunch of Law & Order episodes to figure out how the legal system works.

I would watch a Law & Order type show that took place in a superhero world and tackled hero/vigilante-related legal issues seriously.

fake edit: I know about Gotham Central but that's the Law side, gotta have the Order too.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

McSpanky posted:

I would watch a Law & Order type show that took place in a superhero world and tackled hero/vigilante-related legal issues seriously.

fake edit: I know about Gotham Central but that's the Law side, gotta have the Order too.

We do have She-Hulk coming up.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

GigaPeon posted:

They know full well what they're doing. Marc Guggenheim is an actual, no-poo poo, attorney. They just take the same approach to law that they do with Newtonian physics.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I was really hoping Barry would say "I'm the Flash and this is my Mom"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

GigaPeon posted:

I mean tbf, real trials could take months if not years and that really doesn't work for a superhero show where you want/expect justice to get carried out quickly. I mean I guess you could have it going as a season long B-plot but it'd be kind of boring going from "oh no the Speed Force is insane!" to Cecile filing appeals every week.

It's either a ridiculous justice system or No-Lunch Supermax.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sentence Killer Frost to death and maybe in Season 21, we can see if they do it.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

TwoPair posted:

I mean tbf, real trials could take months if not years and that really doesn't work for a superhero show where you want/expect justice to get carried out quickly. I mean I guess you could have it going as a season long B-plot but it'd be kind of boring going from "oh no the Speed Force is insane!" to Cecile filing appeals every week.

It's either a ridiculous justice system or No-Lunch Supermax.

Maybe just don't do that plotline then?

Oh well, it can't be worse than the time where Ralph said that faking evidence ruined his life and then ten minutes later he dressed up like a dead man in order to get his friend off on murder charges.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 7, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Not sure if it's been spoiled here yet, but here's some set photos of a spoiler character whose suit fits him much better than poor Wally's did and, if we're being honest, looks better than the current Barry's :sweatdrop:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BrianWilly posted:

Not sure if it's been spoiled here yet, but here's some set photos of a spoiler character whose suit fits him much better than poor Wally's did and, if we're being honest, looks better than the current Barry's :sweatdrop:

I knew one of the people in the photo was going to show up but not the other. Excited for that episode.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Spacebump posted:

I knew one of the people in the photo was going to show up but not the other. Excited for that episode.

Wait, is that Iris or is that Nora?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

8one6 posted:

Wait, is that Iris or is that Nora?

Nora it is for the 150th episode.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Barry's hasn't looked good since they forced all those New 52 lines on him in like season 3 I think? S2 is where they peaked costume-wise, although I kind of have a soft spot for the season 1 one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The alt-future SadFlash suit was the best the costume has ever looked and they never really went back to it. Maybe since Gustin got swole they'll build him yet another new suit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

The alt-future SadFlash suit was the best the costume has ever looked and they never really went back to it. Maybe since Gustin got swole they'll build him yet another new suit.

AKA the Season 4 Flash suit, which did look the best design-wise, but it was weird and leathery and didn't fit Gustin well at all and had a tendency to puff out around the stomach making him look like had a dad gut that didn't actually exist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was it the same suit? I think the didn't use some of the add ons. I won't be happy until he has bright yellow boots.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Was it the same suit? I think the didn't use some of the add ons. I won't be happy until he has bright yellow boots.

Yep. They even call it out at the start of Season 4. Barry's like "oh hey, that's the Sad Flash suit." And Cisco's like "yeah, I kind of copied it (aka wardrobe put a fuckton of effort into this thing, we're going to get our money's worth out of it)".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess I've memory holed a lot of stuff from the show as it's declined in quality.

Spoilers: somebody is coming back from speed hell.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I guess I've memory holed a lot of stuff from the show as it's declined in quality.

Spoilers: somebody is coming back from speed hell.

That person's timeline was erased and the multiverse that timeline was from was erased and the Speedforce that was connected to was poisoned and died. It's a brand new timeline in a brand new multiverse with a brand new Speedforce. Speedforce hell must be loving untouchable.

Also its neat its for the 150th episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but Manhunter could restore memories and then Vibe made the flashy thing that also had that power. So everyone remembers what happened.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hell yeah Barry, go back in time, gently caress things up even more.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

howe_sam posted:

Hell yeah Barry, go back in time, gently caress things up even more.

John Diggle suddenly has triplets and a plastic decoder ring...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm confused about the Forces. I thought they were just bringing out elements of the recipients' personalities, but I guess they're also kind of people themselves? And I thought the Speed Force just looked like Barry's mum, but she seems to also have (some of) her memories? The whole parenthood analogy (if it is an analogy?) seemed really forced and I don't understand what I'm supposed to think about any of it.

It was hilarious when Barry confidently announced that he just needed to go back in time to fix everything though, because that's Philip J Fry levels of "maybe if I do the same thing for the eighth time in a row something different will happen" stupidity.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Cisco and Kamilla have the right idea... this show has become such an incomprehensible mess.

Also, I totally called the weird moment with Wells looking off to the side during the Speed Force rebirth scene being something more than weird editing. 😁

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, Wells' thing seems really unhealthy. Just reliving the same moments over and over again.

Also the stuff with Psyche seems kind of odd, like where did he get that mask?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

muscles like this! posted:

Also the stuff with Psyche seems kind of odd, like where did he get that mask?

I mean, given the context of him receiving wild fear powers, I would imagine the first thing Psyche did was have a demon mask custom made (or bought on etsy or something)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I mean, given the context of him receiving wild fear powers, I would imagine the first thing Psyche did was have a demon mask custom made (or bought on etsy or something)

If Barry can make a suit out of Speed Force, why can't Psyche make a mask out of Sage Force?

Edit: Finished watching the episode and this makes me so mad. It's another case of Barry setting his mind to something and then irreversibly going back on it in the last minute like he always does. At least they explained that weird cut of Wells. This "parents of the forces" thing is also weird.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 13, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Last season gave me hope the show was turning around. Then this season happened.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My mind insterted ZA WARUDO!!! when Dion used his powers.

Also I thought only Superman gets to be Jesus.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I know that there's a rotating set of writers for episodes, but this whole dilemma about it being immoral to take away the Forces from people is like an exact parallel to the taking away meta powers from the previous episode (and previous seasons) and they didn't even reference it at all. We've established that Team Flash is extremely anti-taking away powers so many times already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
But this is different because these powers are also sentient beings ( though that's not enough to count as 'people' apparently, even though he'd just had an argument with one) so obviously they had to die so Barry could feast on his own babies or something.