Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I love the show but series had bunch of big stumbles in season 2 and 3 that diminished a lot of my enjoyment. I recently caught up with all of season 4
which I enjoyed a whole lot more, despite some minor hiccups. The show feels like it's back on track and it's nice they were able to get back into a good seasonal,
emotional time-travel story.

It even looks like they are moving Ralph closer to his comic book self rather than being Plastic Man, so that is cool with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
WELL. I did not expect THIS character to show up in the Elseworlds crossover.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I'm really enjoying this season, the new showrunner and his crew know what they're doing.
Every character, but especially Barry and Iris feel fuller and more mature, rather than just going through the motions of
the superhero cop-procedural machine they've been doing for a while.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
A lot of complaining in these threads are "why are the characters not learning an innate lesson that would transform them into a new character?".
Like there's cumulatively 20+ seasons of Berlanti superhero shows that are mostly built on the same model of soapy character start-and-stop evolution.
They're always going to be like that, but the current season of the Flash is one of the strongest ones so far.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The biggest difference between how the new showrunner, Eric Wallace and the writers approach this season is that
they really laid in the work why Barry might accept Bloodwork or get defeated by him. I feel like in an earlier season
Barry just would've went "You know what Speed Force, I DONT LIKE YOU!" after a couple of shoves.

SardonicTyrant posted:

The writers don't actually understand what a journalist does beyond getting "The Scoop"

This was especially jarring in Supergirl where the main character is a journalist.

It's because in these types of shows, journalists are not actually journalists, they're tv detectives without guns.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Now THIS is some good holiday-tv-episode themin'!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Really enjoyed this episode, making Sue Dearbon sort of an action-crook is a good idea to give her range as a recurring character on the show.
I also love how much different little sub-genres of investigating/csi/cop the show incorporates, it allows Flash to get out of it's villain of the week rut.
Eric Wallace is a genius!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
My post in this thread are over and over how I think the new showrunner straight-up saved the show, but I truly think they're doing it every episode.
On top of the usual good characterization / action / theme stuff:

-They get rid of all the overused Speed Force stuff in the previous seasons but in a way that has actual emotion to it.
-Very bad consequences come from Barry's UNIVERSE SAVING HEROIC CHOICES instead of selfish emotional choices ( I mean you can do those once in a while, but they went to that
well too often).
-Rebooting Wally West into his own new character that makes sense from his show history that isn't a weird compromise from comic book Wally (which can't really work in the show).
-Actually using Carmine Infantino-"Multiple Flash" VFX action sequences, THIS LATE into the show?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

oh jay posted:

I want to say that they had like 90% of this episode done and half of the next. Grant mentioned on Twitter that we'll see swole Barry in episode 2 or 3. He isn't even sure how they salvaged the existing footage.

That's exactly it. This really isn't a season premiere. This is the late part of the season where a character sacrifices themselves so the heroes can go on. It felt like a pretty solid goodbye for Tom Cavanaugh
(this season) that almost doubled as a Doctor Who regeneration.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
As wacky or silly the show gets with it's reversals, rules and time-travel shenanigans: the Reverse-Flash/Thawne stuff just always works, I eat it up with a spoon.
Some of the story felt like a reverse-Return of Barry Allen at times which was neat.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I thought the episode was pleasant and about what I expect from the show now?
It's way more palatable to have Impulse and XS messing up than their dad.
Having Impulse and Jay together feels like I'm seeing some real Mark Waid stuff happening so that's fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Entertainment Weekly has a big long piece about Gustin and the end of show, which is mostly a nice retrospective, but does contain one bummer. Carlos Valdes wasn't able to come back for one last round of Lady Gaga karaoke.

A lot of "boy I am TIRED" in this piece. It feels like making the show really ground down the regulars.