Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

You know, next time they remake Charlie's Angels, they could do a whole lot worse...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One part of season two that I liked was that when Wally discovered Barry was the Flash, he didn't go all, "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU KEPT THIS SECRET FROM ME! I HATE YOU NOW! :emo:" on him, which is what I would've expected from the show; his reaction was, "Barry, now that I know you're the Flash, I want to thank you for saving my life; I'm on your side."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's just bad writing. Give your characters a life outside the screen. Iris still has a job, too, but they forgot that as well.

I haven't kept up with this new season - does she still have that boss who hates the Flash for some reason?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burning_Monk posted:

He was killed like two season ago.

I know her first boss was killed by the Reverse-Flash in season one. Her second boss from season two shows up and he's all, "I want pictures! Pictures of the Flash! He's a masked menace!" then he's immediately convinced Flash is on the level by the end of the episode, but then he goes on one date with Iris later on and he hates the Flash again, but then I don't remember anything from him after that. I didn't see most of the back half of season three, though, so maybe he was killed off then?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

From this episode I think it's a safe bet that Devoe's end goal is to put his brain in the Flash's body. Which is a sensible goal, unlike Zoom or Savitar. It's not clear how Buffalo Lady helps him there, but maybe they'll tie it all together

Now I hope one of these shows will do the Ultra-Humanite.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Since Thawne likes to cause car accidents to take the faces from his targets, I think he should be Princess Di next.

Looking forward to the GI Joe crossover where Snake Eyes is actually Thawne.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

The show is very clearly not interesting

You're on record now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Both Arrow and Flash have had court stuff in them this season and I don't think either has been well-received, which is funny because Marc Guggenheim is an executive producer (?) on these shows and I'm pretty sure he was a lawyer for about 10 years before he became a writer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avalerion posted:

Thinking of it, all of this was because Barry didn't want to commit perjury, but isn't him saying he never killed anyone in his closing statement when he did several times exactly that anyway? :D

The show seems to have a strange memory for that (i.e. Thawne in the last episode of the Earth X crossover going "Ah, but Barry Allen doesn't kill!") and I'm not sure why.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dongattack posted:

Ah yes of course, thank you. Whatever happened to that show? They were on the island and then i never found any more episodes.

The last episode ended with the main character waking up and Terry O'Quinn telling them, "We're still on the island, Jack!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

When DeVoe says there are too many variables for him to comprehend I want his wife to start telling him he needs to Think Hard-er-er.

Needs someone saying in a breathy voice, "Think, Clifford, think!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

Speedforce gonna deflect the dumb ray and make Barry the smartest man on Earth by default, Devoe will never see it coming

Pictured: Barry Allen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blaise330 posted:

How can the heroes stop Darkseid AND Diaz :ohdear:

Plot twist: Diaz is actually the Anti-Life Equation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

and just who you think darkseid really is :smug:

I would genuinely enjoy it if they did a Morgan Edge in Superman TAS next season and revealed Diaz is working for Darkseid.

Alternatively, Darkseid shows up and he's working for Diaz.

Either would be fine, honestly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fumblemouse posted:

You fool! Diaz already = 1

:vince:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bruceski posted:

Actually Prometheus and Slade were pretty good. Still, it's not easy.

Reverse-Flash worked because he wasn't at full power all the time (though when he was he was faster than Barry) so he had to rely on his wits and wait around to recharge, and in any event he clearly has a plan he's building towards.

Zoom never seemed to have an overarching evil plan and there never seemed to be a great reason why he couldn't just roll up and take Barry or the rest of the team out at his convenience.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's even the point in watching Arrow when you know Diaz has already won?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Patty shot Earth 2 Wells and is really confused because he's supposed to be dead and Joe's going, "Patty, go home, I will deal with this and explain everything later," and then that was the last we heard of it?

Is the series Shantel VanSanten left Flash for good, by the way?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

It still largely bemuses me though how invisible Ezra Miller's been as the Flash in the public consciousness. Gal Gadot has become everyone's default Wonder Woman, Jason Mamoa has overwritten the cultural joke that Aquaman's been for the last 40 years, and Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill have owned the roles of Batman and Superman despite their movies being garbage, but nobody thinks of Ezra Miller when they think of the Flash. And I think that's largely due to our Flash being kind of a TV powerhouse onto itself while the DCEU Flash has been trying to get its movie off the ground for 5 years now and is still looking for a drat director.

And nobody even mentions Cyborg!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At first glance I though they had. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one bit I remember being frustrated by was when Zoom had Barry trapped in that cell and Barry's trying to phase out of it - something he did a few episodes earlier when he phased through a wall to take the Reverse-Flash by surprise - but he can't manage it. Later in the episode, Zoom shows up to menace him and Barry provokes him until he phases through the cell wall and roughs him a bit, then he peaces out and Barry gets all smug and goes, "Zoom just showed me how to get out of here!" And it was frustrating because it suggested Zoom gave him the idea of... doing the same thing he was already trying to do?

Was it season two that had the subplot where Iris's new editor was all J. Jonah Jameson on that MASKED MENACE the Flash, or was that from season three?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

I think that was season 2 where they were playing with the idea that Barry and Iris weren't going to hook up and so they started introducing new love interests for both of them and then they got written off.

Oh, yeah, I remember there was also that bit where Patty goes to Star Labs, sees Earth 2 Wells bit mistakes him for Earth 1 Wells (who she knows is dead) and ends up shooting him, then Joe shows up and tells her to go him and let him deal with it and he'll explain everything later, then the rest of the episode is Jay having to be convinced to use his speed to save Wells and then the next episode Patty's back to hanging with Barry and doesn't say, "By the way, I shot the guy who confessed to murdering your mother the other day; I thought he was dead and Joe still hasn't explained it to me yet."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
XSive behaviour is common problem for the Flash.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

The A List Rouges have mostly shown up already.

When was the last time Weather Wizard showed up?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bentacos posted:

Wasn't his voice in the last episode?

Fair enough - I haven't seen it yet. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bbf2 posted:

At the end of the flashbacks Chris Klein is sitting next to his niece's hospital bed and saying "It's all my fault, it's all my fault." I know the doctor was able to change his mind and get him to blame metas etc. instead rather quickly, but I'm a bit confused as to how he could have possibly come to the conclusion that her coma was in any way his fault in the first place. He innocently took her out to a carnival and then all of the sudden a bunch of meteors made out of radioactive metal and poo poo started falling from the sky and destroying things and causing damage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the big bads have been a weakness for the Flash outside of Thawne in season one.

I think the scene most emblematic of the problem is when they cut to Zoom skulking in his lair and he's reading a newspaper or something.

You know, I feel like you've got to give these guys something to do when they're not menacing the Flash. If he was working on his multiverse-destroying machine that would have been fine, but I don't think that thing even shows up until the final episode of that season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

That's the big problem with season-long stories. If you introduce the threat (whether it's a villain or an imminent disaster or whatever) then you've got to have a reason for why the final confrontation can't just happen immediately. If it's a bad guy, what are they waiting for? If it's a disaster, how many different ways can the protagonists try unsuccessfully to stop it? It can work if you've got a plausible reason for the delay, but too often you just get bad guys who show up to taunt the hero before running away again and not actually doing anything until the last minute. Or the heroes knowing about a threat but not doing anything about it until they suddenly go "oh, here's this thing/plan I've been working on behind the scenes this whole time and which I only just finished now". It's a single episode's worth of story but cut up and spread over a season.

In the first season there were a few other things going on in addition to the Reverse-Flash storyline; you had Flash's rivalry with Clancy Brown for a few episodes, the Rogues showed up every so often to give him a hard time, you had standalone episodes like the one with a deadly bee weapon and then the other throughline was Barry keeping his identity secret from Iris (and nobody else) because he's a bit thick.

Season two is pretty much centred around Zoom. To some extent it was harmed by having to help set up Legends of Tomorrow, which also took Cold and Heatwave out of the show permanently. Remember when that mid-season trailer came out introducing Iris's new editor who hates the Flash;?That could have been an interesting story arc, giving Flash this J. Jonah Jameson character who has an axe to grind, but as I recall Iris manages to make him change his mind by the end of his first episode then he goes out on one date with her and he doesn't really have a role in the show after that.

The other thing from season two was when Barry discovers that "Jay Garrick" is actually Zoom, because I remember Kreisberg or Guggenheim or someone explaining that Barry was hit hard by this because he'd been betrayed by another mentor who he'd really trusted, but up to that point it had neither showed nor told because "Jay" had mainly interacted with Caitlin in most of his appearances.

nine-gear crow posted:

This was part of why Thawne worked so well. He didn’t have some time-sensitive master plan that could only be accomplished or thwarted at the end of the season like Savitar and DeVoe, he just wanted to keep being a dick to Barry as long as he could and then tried to bug out at the end when everything turned against his favour and he got the calling card that Zoom was coming for his rear end.

Thawne also worked because he was faster than Barry, but he couldn't use his speed all the time so he couldn't just show up and take Barry out when it pleased him, which gave them a bit of a get out of jail free card for people like us nitpicking on the Internet. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

*the thought occurs that basically no member of Team Flash has any sort of combat training. Aside from that one season 1 episode where Oliver Queen shoots Barry in the back. And I guess Ralph went through police academy when he was on the CCPD. But still, they know multiple accomplished martial artists, they should look into learning some basic self-defense that doesn't rely on powers and luck. And maybe if Iris took a firearm course or just let Joe teach her she could hit something with the big gently caress-off sci-fi rifle she and the various Wellses fire ineffectually.

Cisco had some moves back in that season one episode with Pied Piper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

Justice League crashing and burning and losing to VENOM of all things at the box office this year was the death knell of the DCEU. The universe itself is dead and at this point it’s just a matter of continuing with the properties that are actually resonating with audiences, which is basically just Wonder Woman and maybe Aquaman, and Harley Quinn if you squint really super hard and based on the power of Margot Robbie alone, but we’ll see.

It's a weird world where a Justice League movie and a Star Wars movie flat-out bomb within months of each other and then a Venom solo movie becomes one of the most popular new movies of the year.