Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They haven't told us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"I think I'm called Buried Alien"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol that was a good gag

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Was really hoping he'd say some gibberish there

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol did they literally steal the gag for next weeks episode from Spider-Man: Homecoming? Good to see theyre not running dry on ideas one episode into the season

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They're really going heavy on the fun Barry angle. A good sign I say!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah that's a total bummer about Wally. He was finally fitting in a lot better with the show's new mandatory lightheartedness. Agreed he should go on Legends, he would fit in there too and has a built in "I'm trying to step out of the Flash's shadow" story arc built in.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

evenworse username posted:

I can only imagine "another speedster" being a pretty difficult thing thing to work with, writing wise. I know that's more or less what the pile of Flashes is like in the comics, but man a character who does exactly what your main does is not really an asset to the story. If he was going to be on the show regularly they needed to find a way for Wally to somehow have his own thing.

I feel like the threats are also getting sufficiently large scale enough that instead of (or I guess in addition to) just KOing Wally before he can do anything impressive, they can contrive some other thing he has to do, like save civilians or whatever. You can even have a subplot one episode where Wally is frustrated always having to do cleanup work and Barry lets him take point.

Like last episode they could have had him trying to help with all the unlucky disasters, only for him to make things worse and have to remain frozen somewhere. Or do like they already do in the comics and have multiple Rogues team up so the team has to split their resources.

I think the key thing is to focus on the story and not so much the mechanics of "how do we make this fight interesting with two guys who run fast instead of just one". Wally is differentiated not because he has a different power set but because he is Barry's protege and is a little more inexperienced and impulsive and the focus should be on Barry teaching Wally to be a hero (and maybe learning a little something himself in the process :smug:)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I think it's a Central City thing.

At the end of the episode the Thinkers sidekick said "They are identifying targets sooner than we planned, perhaps they're smarter than you gave them credit" and the Thinker responds "Perhaps. But I'm Smarter."

All Team Flash did was respond to a bank robbery during the middle of the day with 100 witnesses and then pursue the lady who made no attempts to hide herself. If this is a wrinkle in Thinkers plan then unfortunately he isn't actually a super genius and is just less stupid than everyone else.

I did like the evil mastermind cliche of playing chess though. It comes built in to his chair.

Well tbf when Thinker responded with his "but I'm smarter" line, all he had done was place a webcam in a robot head and hope that Flash's team stuck it somewhere important. So, yeah, "less stupid than everyone else" is probably accurate.

I thought sidekick lady might have been referring to them deducing the bus connection, which required at least some investigation.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea he didn't want to say all the awkward emotional stuff especially the "you were her first" thing.

I do think there's more to the whole Earth 2 situation tho, I guess we'll find out when Jesse returns.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yer Burnt posted:

I would gladly watch the actor who plays Elongated Man in a father/son movie with Jim Carrey

A father/father/son movie with Carrey and Will Forte

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Elongated Man was always the Flash Friend though. His first and most early appearances were all team ups with Barry (and maybe some backup stories at the end of Flash comics?). Flash never really had a lot to do with Plastic Man outside the Justice League from what I remember.

Only thing I could guess is that they knew they wouldn't be doing two stretchy guys in the C-double-U-niverse and decided to conflate the two by giving Ralph a slightly more interesting criminal backstory. But I'm pretty confident especially if they were intro'ing him on the Flash that they would use Elongated Man.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

What's the point of the mask Barry? You just tell every shmuck you walk past your identity.

That intro isn't a fanciful inner monologue, it's literally him giving that exact speech to a different random person in line at the coffee shop or in the dentist waiting room or whatever

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Proposition Joe posted:

What happened to Iris West co-worker and possible friend Linda Park?

She got on the bus, dude

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bakeneko posted:

And why did the caveman give him so much trouble when he was able disintegrate the suit of armor just by walking through it?

Still not a bad episode, though. The Council of Wells stuff was great.

haha how dumb was it when he just stood with his back to the caveman like "I'm sure this won't come into play in a minute here"

I liked this episode alright although my biggest complaint was that the monsters of the week are getting a little bottom of the barrel. Hoping we get some of the recurring villain/Rogue cameos worked in soon. I like the comic booky/Batman '66 vibe of the first season where you had these guys showing up every few episodes and having more of a cat and mouse thing happening. Plus we need to see like a big Iron Heights breakout at some point.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

What is the deal with the surface pro "commercials" that are apparently still supposed to be canonical scenes? Those are weird and obnoxious. Do they do this in any other shows? Is this the next big thing in advertising?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Thinkforce

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Koalas March posted:

https://twitter.com/TVGuide/status/933553237977833474?s=17

Rumor is that Jessica Parker Kennedy will be playing Dawn Allen, aka one half of the Tornado Twins, Barry and Iris's children

That's rad, I have been hoping they would do more travel to the future. He could team up with his own kids against Reverse Flash and/or Kadabra. Would also love to see Impulse or XS eventually. I always loved the Doctor Who-esque non-linear timelines in the comics, like Barry meeting a younger version of Thawne before he even realizes they are enemies, etc.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Iris West has been around for awhile bit she wasn't iconic enough to worry about changing her race. Hell the most interesting poo poo about her in the comics was goofy retconned poo poo like her being from the future all along.

Also Barry Allen hadn't been the flash for like 35 years when he was brought back and wasn't even the original Flash anyway. The whole "we need to bring back the classic versions of the characters" trend was 100% about the preference of who was behind it: a bunch of 40 year old white men who wanted to write about their specific childhood heroes (specifically Geoff Johns)

IMO they should do what they actually did during the Silver Age and burn down the continuity and restart fresh for a new generation.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

I don't follow comics very closely, but I feel like I read about DC doing this every couple of years

Mostly what they have been doing, ever since Crisis on Infinite Earth, is like a massive "spring cleaning" where they chuck what's not working and keep the "classic" stuff that fans would flip out about if they lost, then try to hammer stuff into a halfway recognizable meta narrative.

They've been trying to recapture the success of the Silver Age by using the exact characters and situations from the Silver Age without realizing that what made that era great is that they were willing to completely reinvent things for modern times. They took the basic concepts of Flash (scientist guy who runs fast) and Green Lantern (guy with a green ring that makes stuff) and went in completely new direction with them without worrying about continuity baggage. Even their alter ego jobs were stuff that was cutting edge at the time: Barry was a forensic scientist in an era there wasn't even a name for it (they called him a "police scientist") and Hal Jordan was testing experimental aircraft for the Air Force. The original characters weren't even referenced till years later, and even that was something new and exciting when Carmine Infantino basically invented the DC multiverse in "Flash of Two Worlds".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Koalas March posted:

Speaking of reboots, they're already talking about recasting Iris for the Flash film.

I wonder what kind of actresses they're considering...

I mentioned this in one of the movie threads after it was announced they were recasting the actress, but christ they would have to be dense to recast as a white woman. It might just be because of the fact that all the original plans have gotten scrapped anyway, and probably whatever scheduling anyone had open was long ago tossed out the window. Still I wouldn't put anything past these idiots.

Another thing is I've read quite a few people who assumed Barry was gay in the movie, it would be rad as hell if they just rolled with that into his solo movie. They still need an Iris West though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man I forgot this week was Crisis on Earth X!

I am watching Supergirl instead since I am not caught up, what a bust.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm on part 3 and don't understand why Iris wouldn't call her shelved super hero brother Wally West

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Since Oliver has krytonite and Cisco/Barry probably wouldn't have helped him do that I'm gonna assume Earth 1 Krypton exploded, but as said Kara and Kal could have just not made it to Earth. Doing Earth 1 Kryptonians feels complicated.

Yeah when you think about it the simplest but also kind of dark explanation is that Earth 1 Krypton exploded and Kara and Kal either didn't make it off or (best case scenario) were sent somewhere else.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Piell posted:

Batman sighed as he drew his katana...

Lol nice

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

My biggest complaint about this season is it would be so much better if the Rogues were a part of it. Their recurring story arc in season 1 was a highlight but unfortunately because of other shows (and stupid Star Wars :mad: ) cannibalizing the best of the roster and weird previous season writing mucking up others (Piper and Boomerang being effectively written off, some other 2nd tier rogues being killed off in the great villain purging in season 2) you're left with weak versions of The Top, Mirror Master and Weather Wizard. Maybe they'll have a Grodd and/or Kadabra episode in the back half.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

If you haven't been watching Legends, you should know that Grodd's appeared there and will probably be part of the villain lineup for that series this season. Kadabra might show up though.

I need badly to catch up on Legends, I've heard above any of them it's the show that embraced the camp and just went whole hog with it. I haven't watched any of this season unfortunately, will have to do that.

But jeez, another top tier flash villain stolen by Legends :bahgawd:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Autism Sneaks posted:

Honestly the worst part of this show was their complete failure to manifest the Rogues as recurring antagonists or even just characters and instead rely on either a freak of the week or a season-spanning mastermind with dubious goals and motivations every. Single. Episode.

They were really trying in the first season but then apparently they were too successful at making Snart and Mick extremely entertaining so they gave them the role on Legends which obviously they would be dumb to turn down in favor of 4-6 guest spots a year.

But season 1 had the whole recurring arc with Snart recruiting first Mick then his sister then culminating in "Rogue Air" where they hinted that he was gathering a larger team of Rogues.

Also season 1 had Weather Wizard recurring (technically his twin brother in the pilot, but still) and multiple Grodd teasers before his big reveal. Overall there was a feeling that there was this group of villains who would be showing up every so often. They kept it going into season 2 until Legends started and they tried to flesh out the roster last year with Mirror Master and Top but it's kind of fallen by the wayside thanks to some of the issues I mentioned earlier.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mark Hamill is the Trickster when he's not busy being Luke Skywalker

---

That Killer Frost gag was legitimately pretty good

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Haha floatation mode

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol

"This house is..."

"...bitchin'?"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holy poo poo

This was a pretty rad episode

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Avalerion posted:

If only Barry had some kind of ability that would let him do things (like clean up?) in the blink of an eye. Sure would have come in handy at the end there...

It would have been hilarious if Barry ran across town to Joe's house, grabbed the dude on the phone, then ran him back to his apartment and put the knife in his hand and peaced on outta there in the split second the police were kicking in the door

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He specifically said telepathic guy was the only one with the necessary powers to do the mind swap anyway. So either that's the only guy he could swap into full-stop, and he needs Barry for something else or he is using telepathic guy as a bridge but needed Flash out of the way for that first step.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well also it seems like Caitlin invited him with the intention of introducing him to the team, specifically as kind of closure on the whole "hey don't worry it's alright to be a meta" thing. He already knew about Caitlin anyway, then Cisco and Ralph showed up to rescue them.

The weird thing is, they don't seem to really harp on the others' secret identity. It's not like Cisco is ever like "NOBODY CAN KNOW I'M THE VIBE!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dwayne McDuffie could have just made a career being the one black dude in the room pointing out how pants-on-head stupid all the white dudes were about representation. But he was also a talented as hell writer. RIP

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also do those comments imply that there are no black writers on the Flash's staff? Cause yikes if so.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It ain't "the incarceration while awaiting trial of the flash"

Or "the plea bargain of the flash"

This is the MFing "trial of the flash" baby!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol are they gonna seriously whip out that picture and be like "here's you kissing another dude!"

Cause that's gonna backfire so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Realistically at least one person on that jury knows Barry is the Flash