Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This show goes so hard for no reason :laffo: What was with the bloody deer? Who's the babushka mobster in the wheelchair? How is Cheryl somehow more batshit crazy than we thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This episode was great, though I'll admit I kind of glazed over the Josie parts. I'm glad they're finally giving her more to do, at least. The Pussycats dragged Archie down in S1 and seem to mostly exist to sing bad covers. I'd love for something more substantial out of them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shneak posted:

This show goes so hard for no reason :laffo: What was with the bloody deer? Who's the babushka mobster in the wheelchair? How is Cheryl somehow more batshit crazy than we thought?

I think the answer to the first two questions is "Greendale". This episode seemed to be trying really hard to convince us that it's a really hosed up, Twin Peaks meets Dunwich Horror kind of place.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I dunno, I thought this episode ruled. I’d love if they went crazy after watching season 3 of Twin Peaks.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shneak posted:

What was with the bloody deer?

That bit reeked of Hannibal, in all the best ways.

esperterra posted:

This episode was great, though I'll admit I kind of glazed over the Josie parts.

Yeah, I wasn't digging it (especially not the Chuck Cunningham Redemption Tour part) but boy did the final reveal make it all worth it. Cheryl is something else.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JethroMcB posted:

That bit reeked of Hannibal, in all the best ways.

Yeah, I wasn't digging it (especially not the Chuck Cunningham Redemption Tour part) but boy did the final reveal make it all worth it. Cheryl is something else.

Oh, definitely! Cheryl is amazing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The reveal that Cheryl is Single White Femaling Josie McCoy made me stop the show and walk around for about five minutes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DivisionPost posted:

The reveal that Cheryl is Single White Femaling Josie McCoy made me stop the show and walk around for about five minutes.

Didn't you say the same thing when Jessica Jones hit? I wonder about your life experiences.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That crate from the Miskatonic University is some sort of Sabrina tie in, right ?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I love this drat show. I got into the show with my wife for the nostalgia, and when we looked up we had binged all the way to the current episode. The actors are great, it embraces what it is, and the plot is intriguing.

My theory is that the Black Hood is Betty's estranged brother. Here is my reasoning:

-The Black Hood appears to be religiously motivated to purge sinners. From what we know, Betty's brother was adopted through that crazy religious institution that Polly was staying in. It stands to reason he would have gone to a very religious family.
-He is obsessed with Betty and I can't think of anyone else we have been introduced to that has shown unusual interest in Betty. It would make sense that her brother would choose her because of all the members of her family, she is the most innocent.
-It could explain his motivation for forcing Betty to publish the story on her mom. He wanted to embarrass and humiliate her for abandoning him.
-This is probably reaching, but I felt like there was a lot more to The Black Hood answering "Yes" when Betty asked if she would recognize his face. Recognizing a face is not the same as knowing a person and Betty would certainly recognize the features of her brother's face. In addition, when he leads her to that abandoned house and has her put on the mask and look in the mirror, I thought that could have been a way of him subtly telling her that they would look alike if just their eyes were exposed.

That's just my crazy theory but am interested if anyone else has a different one or can poke some holes in mine.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like the hood being Betty's brother is a p popular theory, and the most likely one to be true. If it's going to be a new character my money's on him. Otherwise it's someone already part of the cast imo.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

esperterra posted:

I feel like the hood being Betty's brother is a p popular theory, and the most likely one to be true. If it's going to be a new character my money's on him. Otherwise it's someone already part of the cast imo.

With the way the show is written, it just seems implausible to be someone we already know because there would have been some clues/foreshadowing. I could certainly be missing these clues because I didn't see the teacher being the Sugarman which was probably obvious to others.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Whoa, the crate Archie and Jughead were transporting had a Miskatonic stamp on it? I didn't even notice. :cthulhu:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sabrina is moving from CW to Netflix with 2 season order.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/riverdale-shoot-sabrina-moves-netflix-2-season-order-1060852

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Weird. You'd think they would want to keep the shows together, but if we're lucky this will mean no crossover BS.

I was just hoping the back half of this Riverdale season involves Sabrina and a lot of it, to set up her show or whatever. Though if it's Netflix now who knows if she'll even show up in Riverdale.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
As I've said time and again I don't want any hoo-doo ju-ju in my Riverdale...but I would be happy with some snarky reference to "those catalog model kids across the river think THEIR drama is life-or-death" from Sabrina.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

All I want is for them to bring back the dude who did Salem's voice in the Melissa Joan Hart and animated series. He did both, right?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

esperterra posted:

Weird. You'd think they would want to keep the shows together, but if we're lucky this will mean no crossover BS.

I was just hoping the back half of this Riverdale season involves Sabrina and a lot of it, to set up her show or whatever. Though if it's Netflix now who knows if she'll even show up in Riverdale.

Yeah, we could end up with the weird situation there are two different actresses playing her simultaneously. Unless the CW is coproducing Sabrina with Netflix. But that's not what the report implied.

E: Though if that means we get the 60's Sabrina from Chilling Adventures, I'm all for it. Early Chilling Adventures spoilers: They'd need to keep Betty and Veronica (obviously played by the Riverdale cast members) showing up as witches too. Just make it super clear it's a parallel timeline.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 2, 2017

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, we could end up with the weird situation there are two different actresses playing her simultaneously. Unless the CW is coproducing Sabrina with Netflix. But that's not what the report implied.

E: Though if that means we get the 60's Sabrina from Chilling Adventures, I'm all for it. Early Chilling Adventures spoilers: They'd need to keep Betty and Veronica (obviously played by the Riverdale cast members) showing up as witches too. Just make it super clear it's a parallel timeline.

I’m gonna go ahead and say that having some sort of cross-over with Riverdale and Sabrina in a TV show would be loving awful.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

SilentChaz posted:

I was going by IMDB for air dates. Checking other sites, there's conflicting information as to whether or not an episode will air December 13th. It would make sense to air it in December, since it's titled Silent Night, Deadly Night and who would want to watch a Christmas-themed episode in January? :v:

I kind of felt the last one was a Halloween episode that got put out too late. So maybe they are behind.

I liked the episode. But I kind of preferred Jason’s murder plot which was more of a background thing throughout the last season. I’m hoping they wrap up the black hood stuff before it gets boring.

Cheryl tho. Holy poo poo.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

MrSargent posted:

I’m gonna go ahead and say that having some sort of cross-over with Riverdale and Sabrina in a TV show would be loving awful.

They're gonna share a showrunner(the writer of Chilling Adventures) and they're Berlanti joints(at least Riverdale is) so I'd say it's pretty likely to happen.

I, for one, am excited for the prospect.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

As I've said time and again I don't want any hoo-doo ju-ju in my Riverdale...but I would be happy with some snarky reference to "those catalog model kids across the river think THEIR drama is life-or-death" from Sabrina.

https://twitter.com/DialMForMaple/status/936313884608167941

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

MrSargent posted:

Why?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

God this show is just so off the rails in every way. I love it.

The simultaneous events storytelling is something you don't see a whole lot of these days, especially not in television. Seeing them do something like that brings out the cinema nerd in me. The cinematography in the show is consistently really good.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MrSargent posted:

They're already delivering weird magic stuff to Greendale, there's talk of ghosts on the road and zombie (spirit?) deer are appearing. I can't see that a crossover with a horror version of Sabrina would be out of place at all. You could keep it Twin Peaks-y (at least season 1-ish) with the magic stuff stuff staying in the weird background on Riverdale and leave the resurrections and consorting with the literal devil to Sabrina proper.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I bet the Riverdalers seem weird to the people of Greendale. They don't even have zombie deer!

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i'm hoping the hood is the janitor.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Fututor Magnus posted:

I already fell for him being Josie's secret admirer!

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Riverdale is great

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

God this show is just so off the rails in every way. I love it.

The simultaneous events storytelling is something you don't see a whole lot of these days, especially not in television. Seeing them do something like that brings out the cinema nerd in me. The cinematography in the show is consistently really good.

I don't know movies that much, but it's pretty cool that they add in little touches to honor the movies that the episodes are named after. Going off the trailer for the "Tales from the Darkside" movie, there was:
- a black woman having an affair with a white man
- a creepy old rich guy in a wheelchair with his servant:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

This ruled but I just thought it was the child of the deer Tony Todd has in the back of his truck, not a reanimated deer corpse

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I'm glad they ended up playing more of Spooky after Josie was cut off from playing more of it. It's a good song.

Fututor Magnus posted:

What if he was also a janitor at the police station and other places? He would be a face people would recognize, but no one that people pay attention to. Always in the background, watching and listening.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

MrSargent posted:

I love this drat show. I got into the show with my wife for the nostalgia, and when we looked up we had binged all the way to the current episode. The actors are great, it embraces what it is, and the plot is intriguing.

My theory is that the Black Hood is Betty's estranged brother. Here is my reasoning:

-The Black Hood appears to be religiously motivated to purge sinners. From what we know, Betty's brother was adopted through that crazy religious institution that Polly was staying in. It stands to reason he would have gone to a very religious family.
-He is obsessed with Betty and I can't think of anyone else we have been introduced to that has shown unusual interest in Betty. It would make sense that her brother would choose her because of all the members of her family, she is the most innocent.
-It could explain his motivation for forcing Betty to publish the story on her mom. He wanted to embarrass and humiliate her for abandoning him.
-This is probably reaching, but I felt like there was a lot more to The Black Hood answering "Yes" when Betty asked if she would recognize his face. Recognizing a face is not the same as knowing a person and Betty would certainly recognize the features of her brother's face. In addition, when he leads her to that abandoned house and has her put on the mask and look in the mirror, I thought that could have been a way of him subtly telling her that they would look alike if just their eyes were exposed.

That's just my crazy theory but am interested if anyone else has a different one or can poke some holes in mine.

This is almost word for word the theory I was working through last night!

Man, Svenson's still creepy, though. Super disappointed to lose the thick Swedish accent :(

Also disappointed we didn't get Sabrina, I thought for sure that whole first segment (especially the Miskatonic U reference) was building to her reveal, or at least a hint.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

CottonWolf posted:

They're already delivering weird magic stuff to Greendale, there's talk of ghosts on the road and zombie (spirit?) deer are appearing. I can't see that a crossover with a horror version of Sabrina would be out of place at all. You could keep it Twin Peaks-y (at least season 1-ish) with the magic stuff stuff staying in the weird background on Riverdale and leave the resurrections and consorting with the literal devil to Sabrina proper.

I think you are confusing "delivering weird magic stuff" with the ramblings of a crazy drifter-type guy. It's totally believable that people in Riverdale/Greendale would come up with crazy theories about a serial killer, but that is all they are at this point and they help feed the hysteria without taking you out of the show. When that deer walked in front of Archie, what would make you think that it was some supernatural thing and not just another deer that had gotten blood on it when the other was killed? The show definitely can give you a supernatural feeling at times, but that feeling is grounded in things that you can believe are real for the most part.

The only way I see a Sabrina-crossover working is if they do something to the character where she may seem supernatural, but uses tricks/lies/manipulation in a creative way that makes them seem supernatural. But I also think there are enough characters that are interesting and that we need to see develop that I can't imagine wanting them to shove Sabrina in the middle of it.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 4, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I could see Sabrina being supernatural free in Riverdale, with hints of 'maybe she's magic' but never actually show it, but then on her own series it's just a fact of life.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Cole Sprouse said something in an interview about the Sabrina rumors which I completely agree with. He said that the show has already stretched the imagination on the question "What is possible in a small-town?" without the supernatural. And once you take the show down that path, you can't ever go back so the complexity of writing that in a compelling way for the future of the show would be incredibly difficult.

Again, the more objective answer to why Sabrina would be a bad idea is that there are already so many interesting characters that adding one with so much name-recognition would be distracting.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Alice Cooper set a new high with that biker gal get-up...and the double tequila shots.

Love how Archie's first instinct after realizing "the gormless school janitor was the only survivor of a massacre where he saw his entire family killed" was "Let's confront this dude in his 50's with a vague accusation, and rough him up if we have to"

So Archie x Betty is obviously in the cards...but who will Veronica's rebound be? Or Jug's?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think "Poor Svenson gets attacked by Archie and Veronica and is forced to relive the darkest memories of his life". Jughead just can't catch a break and now feels responsible for his father falling back into alcohol / crime.

I know I can't be the only one that wants to see something happen between Alice and FP.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That was a great cover of that Donnie Darko song!
Oh Archie, when are you going to learn something about music.

Seriously though that sequence was wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I counted Archie shirtless in 3 scenes before the title screen popped up. A new record.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Seriously though that sequence was wild.

I hated it. Seemed out of character for Betty, though it lead to Bughead breaking up and Barchie maybe being a thing so there's some upside.

• Locked thread