Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Propaganda Machine posted:

We're all goons here so no need to call people out or feel ashamed, but it is in fact normal to have sex in high school.

We're goons, not incels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In my small town the prevailing attitude was mainly 'we know they're going to drink and gently caress anyway, might as well make sure we know where our kids are and that they're using condoms'.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It’s definitely not normal for a parent, even a cool dude like Fred, to turn a blind eye to his kid having sex right there in his home or, y’know, working for a mobster. He’s just absurdly permissive unless you just accept that Archie is, in fact, a 20 year old regardless of what the show tells us.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

There was a mildly high profile case here in NE Indiana where a dude got nailed to the wall when he turned 18 and continued his relationship with his 16 year old girlfriend. I guess her parents went full on nuclear. Dude got marked as a sex offender and it's nearly impossible to get off those registries.

Also this is whack. 2 years is nothing. Is there nothing in the age-of-consent laws for situations where the person is only 2 years apart from the minor? Or is that just a Canada thing?

I guess there's way more variance between states than there are between provinces for laws like that, tho.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

esperterra posted:

Also this is whack. 2 years is nothing. Is there nothing in the age-of-consent laws for situations where the person is only 2 years apart from the minor? Or is that just a Canada thing?

I guess there's way more variance between states than there are between provinces for laws like that, tho.

“Romeo and Juliet” laws vary state to state and cover those situations.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Every teen drama has to have super permissive/completely absent parents for the premise to work. Otherwise, it’s lots of awkward quiet sex while parents are downstairs, parties cut short at midnight, and teenagers desperately chewing on breath mints to cover up the smell of vodka.

One Tree Hill had high schoolers getting married and renting apartments despite only having part time jobs, so Riverdale isn’t the least realistic show I guess.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This is usually p well balanced by the adults in shows like this having their own insane dramas distracting them from w/e dumb poo poo their kids are doing. Riverdale cranks this to 11 by having the adults and kids dramas all intertwined.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's also interesting that the one character whose mom is a courtesan is the one student not hooking up.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

it is in fact normal to have sex in high school.

Yeah but I'm not supposed to be watching...

Phylodox posted:

*Character X* is, in fact, a 20 year old regardless of what the show tells us.

...so this becomes my mantra.

Edit/PS: I was lucky, the 2 girls I dated in highschool had single mothers who left us alone. I was unlucky in that neither of those girls was ready to go all the way at the time.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 3, 2018

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

GreenNight posted:

It's also interesting that the one character whose mom is a courtesan is the one student not hooking up.

Cheryl has Toni though?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh drat, I totally forgot about Toni.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

SilentChaz posted:

Cheryl has Toni though?

Honestly when that started I was like "sure, now she's conveniently gay" but then I realized she hadn't shown even the slightest interest in any dude so far.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Plus they alluded to it earlier in the season when she Single White Female'd Josie.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Honestly when that started I was like "sure, now she's conveniently gay" but then I realized she hadn't shown even the slightest interest in any dude so far.

Well I mean she did for Jason blossom.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Maybe they were into the same girls. Let's bring back random sister!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still don't get what that dude who killed Andre's plan was. Just walking at Hermione and Veronica while the former has a gun.

Anyway this season was way better than the first, even though that one wasn't bad.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

RareAcumen posted:

I still don't get what that dude who killed Andre's plan was. Just walking at Hermione and Veronica while the former has a gun.

Anyway this season was way better than the first, even though that one wasn't bad.

Well, he did manage to kill Andre. Plus it would be super intimidating to just slowly walk towards them while tanking the bullets until he's in range to strangle them. And that almost worked. It was his goofy revenge fantasy, which He didn't plan that well.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

SEX BURRITO posted:

Every teen drama has to have super permissive/completely absent parents for the premise to work. Otherwise, it’s lots of awkward quiet sex while parents are downstairs, parties cut short at midnight, and teenagers desperately chewing on breath mints to cover up the smell of vodka.

One Tree Hill had high schoolers getting married and renting apartments despite only having part time jobs, so Riverdale isn’t the least realistic show I guess.

Look at Pretty Little Liar's. In that show a cop and a teacher were dating high school girls and nobody cared

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Veronica Mars did that as well.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Pretty Little Liars and Veronica Mars are worlds apart in how they handled that poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also VM had Pizz, the worst character in the history of broadcast television.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Rhyno posted:

Also VM had Pizz, the worst character in the history of broadcast television.

How can you say that when there was Arrows version of Ra's Al Ghul

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

How can you say that when there was Arrows version of Ra's Al Ghul

Didn't you hear? He used to be Ra's Al Ghul.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rhyno posted:

Didn't you hear? He used to be Ra's Al Ghul.

That was Merlyn's favorite line.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

SEX BURRITO posted:

Loved the crazy black cheerleader uniforms. I’ve decided that at my funeral, I want someone to stand up and vow revenge.
My wife and I are binging this show and just started this episode.

I will vow revenge for you, new friend.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Jellybean and Jughead's mom confirmed for season 3!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Jellybean and Jughead's mom confirmed for season 3!

And there's some other stuff that sounds amazing.
  • Penelope Ann Miller is set to play Ms. Wright, the prosecuting ADA in Archie's case hell-bent on sending him to prison.
  • On Polly and Alice: They're both deep in with The Farm when Season 3 picks up; RAS describes being inspired by Wild, Wild Country and NXVIM (the Allison Mack sex cult) and, uh, holy poo poo.
  • As mentioned, JB and Mrs. Jones will be showing up around episode 8-9, just in time for the fall finale.
  • And RAS wants to do more high school poo poo this year, since the kids are juniors now and have to start thinking about college. So SAT prep, meeting with advisors, visiting schools, all that jazz.
  • And I can't believe I almost forgot to mention that there's going to be a flashback episode with the main ensemble all playing their parents. YOU get to see Lili Reinhardt playing Alice, YOU get to see Lili Reinhardt playing Alice, and YOU get to see Lili Reinhardt playing Alice!

More here, including a description of what sounds like a slightly hosed up scene: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/riverdale-penelope-ann-miller-joins-season-three-comic-con-2018-1127971

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 23, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

yyyyyaaaaassssssssss!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

DivisionPost posted:

[*]On Polly and Alice: They're both deep in with The Farm when Season 3 picks up; RAS describes being inspired by Wild, Wild Country and NXVIM (the Allison Mack sex cult) and, uh, holy poo poo.

esperterra posted:

yyyyyaaaaassssssssss!
:raise:

While that sounds kinda gross, I am sort of interested where they will take that madness.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Ugh, another musical episode?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ugh, another musical episode?

Gross, I take back my yasss.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Musical ep ruled, you guys suck.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Not emptyquotin'

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I can imagine the writer's room watching Wild Wild Country and taking furious notes and feeling a little bad for being out-crazied by real events.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rhyno posted:

My only complaint was that there weren't enough Carrie songs, because I genuinely wanted to see a musical take on Carrie.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Quote-Unquote posted:

My only complaint was that there weren't enough Carrie songs, because I genuinely wanted to see a musical take on Carrie.

I mean it was an actual musical they took the songs from.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It wasn't a terrible episode and they sure ended it with a bang, but I skipped through most of the songs. You get the plot exposition in the first five seconds, and the rest of the song is competent yet boring and cheesy.

Ugh.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The plot of the episode was good, but the execution just didn't do it for me and it stopped me watching it weekly lmao. I didn't catch up til after the finale. My sister and some other people I know who were really into the show dropped it completely on that episode. RIP.

I'm picky about musicals and musical eps are rarely enjoyable for me, personally.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Can't wait for Riverdale: The Music, Volume 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Featuring Archie's 20 minute guitar solo!

• Locked thread