Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

(If anyone has a better title, let me know!)

Programming note: Arrow got moved off its traditional Wednesday slot, and now airs on Thursdays at 9. Very important to remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ydsr1dFC8g

Arrow is the CW’s flagship superhero show, the progenitor of The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow. Really, since its inception Arrow has been a show of varying quality, but a lot better than what the CW did for superheroes back in the day. Now, how did Season 5 leave off?

Oh, right. That happened.

Season 5 was a roaring return to form, where Oliver had to do battle against Prometheus, a villain obsessed with exposing the darkness in Oliver and would spare no measure in torturing him as both a civilian and a vigilante. Ultimately, Oliver did not give into his darkness, but arguably Prometheus won anyway, as he gave Oliver an impossible choice. The fallout of that choice is about to come to light! Exciting stuff.

Since Season 5 was the fifth year after Oliver was stuck on the island, the flashbacks focused on how Oliver got back home, and also how he got tied up in the Russian mob. Since the show goes on to a season 6, no more flashbacks! At least ones that focus on Oliver and his bad wigs. This opens up the show to using flashbacks to develop more characters, dropping them altogether, or even using scenes from Season 1 to tie into the episode’s theme!

Now, the characters:

Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) - Our protagonist, mayor of Star City, super ripped, finally at peace with himself and his darkness. Still does the vigilante thing!

John Diggle (David Ramsey) - Oliver’s number two, super ripped, former black ops. Moral compass for everyone, but he’s seen some poo poo. Superpowers include guns, van.

Thea Queen (Willa Holland) - Oliver’s sister, trained by her father, who was Ra’s Al Ghul if you didn’t know. Gave up the vigilante game and helps Oliver as his chief of staff. The show's breakout character, if you ask me. Went from whiny stereotype to kickass in two seasons!

Quentin Lance (Paul Blackthorne) - Deputy mayor, recovering alcoholic. Droppin’ bodies is the line he’s most famous for.

Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) - Team Arrow’s technical support, almost got married to Oliver in Season 4. Was in a wheelchair once, may still have feelings for Oliver? Accidentally stole Thea’s apartment? Why don’t we talk about that more?

Curtis Holt (Echo Kellum) - Codename Mr. Terrific, the other really smart guy in the building. Has a rad costume, sometimes inexplicably goes from cornrows to full afro from scene to scene. Cool guy though, hope he gets more to do this year.

Rene Ramirez (Rick Gonzalez) - Codename Wild Dog, a real street tough. His costume actually has a vigilante feel, what with it being a hockey mask and jersey. Former military, really good with guns. Hope he gets full custody of his daughter, he could use a win.

Dinah Drake (Juliana Harkavy) - The successor to the Black Canary, Dinah Drake is a meta human who can actually do the scream thing, as opposed to it being just a device. She got little to do last season, but her character arc is just beginning. High hopes!

Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy) - Not the good Laurel, but her evil doppleganger from Earth-2. Goes by Black Siren. Brought over to mess with Oliver’s head, but she eventually ended up hanging around as another evil person. There’s a Catwoman angle to her relationship with Oliver, I’m sure it’ll get explored because the CW can’t control itself. Katie Cassidy hams it up as an evil character, and it’s a lot of fun to watch.

Also important, and obligatory for every DCCW thread.

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Never forget season 5's greatest gift, the terrible Laurel statue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
More important gifs

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Reposting this for the new thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHlYjx5iNMc

Gag reel of Season 5

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Felicity is paraplegic and supported only by some kind of magic computer chip designed by Curtis.

It has mattered exactly twice.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

Felicity is paraplegic and supported only by some kind of magic computer chip designed by Curtis.
I just started season 3, (I never want to hear the world MiRaKuRu ever loving again) and holy gently caress who the hell thought that making such a drastic change to a series regular like that was good. Cripes.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

FilthyImp posted:

I just started season 3, (I never want to hear the world MiRaKuRu ever loving again) and holy gently caress who the hell thought that making such a drastic change to a series regular like that was good. Cripes.

friend, it gets resolved in the dumbest way possible

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Carlosologist posted:

friend, it gets resolved in the dumbest way possible
It figures.

Not to knock the show too much, but I've been trying to catch up with everything I missed (Since the original 2012ish ads feature a sexy torsoman made me fear it was a worse Smallville, or a better Greystoke) and marathoning episodes is a little draining. Contrast that with S2 Supergirl (regrettable decisions with dialogue surrounding Alex's coming out aside), which is pretty breezy and fun to watch a few episodes in a sitting. Maybe I'm hitting a broodlimit.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Season 3 and 4 brood just a little too much, but it's worth getting through all that to get to Season 5. Four is even strong up until the middle of the season

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still choose to believe that Curtis quietly made a fortune off of his miracle invention and he's been using that to quietly finance his vigilante career and super expensive T-Spheres. Just like everyone else who is privately wealthy.

Oliver and Thea: Rich from the Queen Industries buyoff and stock options.
Felicity: Rich from the Palmer Tech buyoff and stock options.
Curtis: Rich off his patents.
Diggle: Living on government black ops dime thanks to Lyla.
Rene: Ramen and spam.

No wonder Evelyn was so angry. Hopefully Dinah has some kind of good settlement or pension from her cop origin story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do Oliver and Thea still have their Queen Industries money? I thought there was a bit in season two or thereabouts where Thea has to sign some sort of memorandum to let them retain their assets and refuses.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well she's got Merlyn inheritance too.

My assumption has always been they're in that wealthy place where they have enough to live comfortably forever and buy lots of toys and fly back and forth to hellish islands but they can't like start another multi billion dollar business or anything.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

They're rich-people broke, not actually broke.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like that this season seems like it's going to continue the same grounded plot of last season, hope Richard Dragon does well

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like the show is staying on Wednesdays in Canada, but won't be ahead because it only starts next week.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I really dislike the move to Thursday.

e: never mind, I'm dumb, misread something.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 12, 2017

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

did they kill a mook?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Rather ignoble way to kill off Thea.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
Did Slade just tell Ollie that he'll have to CHOOOOOSE?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Wild Dog got a massive costume upgrade

e: wait, did they bring back the maid from season 1?? that's a nice touch

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 13, 2017

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Well, you can't really Martian Manhunter shapeshift your way out of that one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That secret didn’t seem worth keeping.

That’s everyone accounted for except the Al-Ghuls and the probably dead Evelyn, right?

(Besides Malcolm who is dead until they decide they want to use him again.)

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Watching the premiere right now, and I was surprised that the island exploded.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Fuccck yes, give me public superhero mayor ollie, you can do it team, i believe in you

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Fuccck yes, give me public superhero mayor ollie, you can do it team, i believe in you

*FBI tries to prosecute Oliver*

*Lyla walks in, "Yeah, he's the Green Arrow. He also saved the world from aliens last year. Here's a Presidential pardon for literally whatever you want to charge him with"*

Ollie: *shrug face*

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
so Thea's "dead", Ollie's son's mother is "dead", and we finally have vigilante-mayor?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thoroughly enjoyed that 40+ minutes of television. Glad to have this show back.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

X-O posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed that 40+ minutes of television. Glad to have this show back.

Soooo... This is an unprecedented first, right? All four Arrowverse shows being pretty good at the same time?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

nine-gear crow posted:

Soooo... This is an unprecedented first, right? All four Arrowverse shows being pretty good at the same time?

This is the only one I'm still watching. Even if the other ones are actually decent again they've already lost me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

You really should give Legends another shot. They leaned into the Stupid full bore last year and cut out everything that sucked and the show's the unironic best of the quartet now.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I hate to judge shows on season premieres because there is usually a bunch of set up, but I remain hopeful for Arrow, Flash, and Super Girl. I'm totally all in on Legends though.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

nine-gear crow posted:

Jury's still out on Flash. S4 premiere was OK but not promising enough to completely give faith that they've solved the issues rampant we saw in the bad and boring season 3.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

First episodes are nothing to judge series on. Give it a few episodes to see where they go. Arrow looks to be keeping on from it's previous trajectory in Season 5 with more mortal and personal threats, Legends also seems to be following through with going full camp and Time Idiots from S2. Supergirl and Flash is a little more hard to tell, but Supergirl has a firmer foundation to build around. Flash needs to do a lot to really get shore up some of its flaws from the last season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't watch Legends because it's garbage but a guy in the TV thread seemed to think the premiere was insanely bad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I don't watch Legends because it's garbage but a guy in the TV thread seemed to think the premiere was insanely bad.

Legends is 100% not high art and wont win awards for its drama. However, it's definitely tongue in cheek and quite fun in contrast to the relative seriousness of the other DCCW series. It's firmly an action comedy and after season 1, gave up any illusions about any significant amounts of serious relationship drama and instead promoted more general camaraderie. It's a bit of a junk food-esque sort of series.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do Oliver and Thea still have their Queen Industries money? I thought there was a bit in season two or thereabouts where Thea has to sign some sort of memorandum to let them retain their assets and refuses.
The characters have exactly as much money as the plot needs them to have at any time. If they need to buy a new lair and fill it full of fancy equipment then they can. If they need to be out of cash then they will be. And the writers neither know nor care how any facet of business or finance works.

XboxPants posted:

I hope so.

Aphrodite posted:

It was the same as last season, ie. great. After the disastrous first season they actually learned their lesson and let the show's strengths work for it instead of constantly fighting them. Unlike the other three shows which constantly seem to be struggling with themselves over what they're supposed to be.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Aphrodite posted:

That guy is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bbf2 posted:

Jury's still out on Flash. S4 premiere was OK but not promising enough to completely give faith that they've solved the issues rampant we saw in the bad and boring season 3.
I thought Flash S3 was an improvement on all the Hunter Zolomon bull from the previous season.

Granted, I'm sure watching it all in one go helped.