Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I think the standard for quite awhile now has been "No assassinating dudes if it's avoidable but when in a gunfight with private armies equal force is ok."

I mean, Diggle and Rene have been carrying around guns for awhile now.

Oliver doesn't have a "don't kill" rule as much as an "exhibit self control and don't kill as a first resort" rule. That was basically the resolution of the Darkh, Ra's, and Prometheus stuff.

I think Rene and Dig's guns shoot rubber bullets. I mean, I know rubber bullets can still seriously injure people, but it's at least a tiny excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

nine-gear crow posted:

I want everyone on this show who's not Thea or Laurel to go away... which is ironic because I think Willa Holland doesn't want to be on this show anymore either :v:

I'm thinking the reintroduction of the League might be their way of writing Thea off the show. A group of Malcolm loyalists (which is really all that's left of the League anyway) track down his daughter to make her the same offer Ra's made to Oliver, Thea takes the opportunity to use the league to find her purpose and to take Roy to Nanda Parbat where he doesn't have to live like a fugitive.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

I'm thinking the reintroduction of the League might be their way of writing Thea off the show. A group of Malcolm loyalists (which is really all that's left of the League anyway) track down his daughter to make her the same offer Ra's made to Oliver, Thea takes the opportunity to use the league to find her purpose and to take Roy to Nanda Parbat where he doesn't have to live like a fugitive.

Making them League also is an easy way to reintroduce them if they want back in.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
So we're really going with Diaz eh? This feels like Shao Khan dying halfway through mortal kombat and the final boss is Kano. Except without this guy being as cool as Kano

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

But he's like a super good fighter. Did you see him beat that guy up?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
And he's really rich and thinks ten steps ahead, which is how he's paying off 90% of the police force and was about to just let Cayden James blow up the city before he unveiled his dubious plan of running it.

Yeah, this is a major afterthought.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I like that he set this all in motion by killing Cayden's son sometime back in the Damien Darkh season, all on the off chance that Cayden might eventually, maybe, somehow escape from ARGUS custody.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Like this week's Flash, it wasn't a bad episode per se, just that the underlying plot framework is held together by chewing gum and baling wire.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

nooneofconsequence posted:

But he's like a super good fighter. Did you see him beat that guy up?

Yeah he's so good it took him 10 whole seconds to get captured by Rene and Curtis, the two worst fighters on team arrow.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Laterite posted:

Like this week's Flash, it wasn't a bad episode per se, just that the underlying plot framework is held together by chewing gum and baling wire.

Well yeah but that's basically everything past... I don't know, the first season probably?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

Oliver doesn't have a "don't kill" rule as much as an "exhibit self control and don't kill as a first resort" rule. That was basically the resolution of the Darkh, Ra's, and Prometheus stuff.

The rule seems to be "You can kill anyone except the one guy whose death would actually make any difference." Special exception for the last episode of the season when he's finally allowed to actually fight the boss for real.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phenotype posted:

No, he totally beat up that guy just now, and told him that karate matches aren't the same as people actually trying to kill you, so you know he's a badass. What more do you need?

Need to see him sighing as he draws a katana

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Tiggum posted:

The rule seems to be "You can kill anyone except the one guy whose death would actually make any difference." Special exception for the last episode of the season when he's finally allowed to actually fight the boss for real.

Yeah this point gets even more obvious when they just had a brutal fight scene where they killed like a dozen people. Only for Oliver to get frustrated and run away when faced with the guy responsible for everything.

:smugbert:"We don't cross that line"
:confused:"You just crossed it 20 times"
:smugbert:"We aren't judge, jury and executioner"
:confused:*points at pile of dead bodies*
:smugbert:"Diaz will face justice, in a court of law. Even if he is controlling the police and his own private military force."
:confused:"Fine. Why didn't we kill Anatoli? He wants nothing but revenge and has been nothing but a problem and almost destroyed the city."
:smugbert:"Oh, that's easy. Anatoli needs to remember our brotherhood at an opportune moment and get shot so we can have a nice death scene and wrap up the bratva storyline"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

:confused:"Fine. Why didn't we kill Anatoli? He wants nothing but revenge and has been nothing but a problem and almost destroyed the city."
:smugbert:"Oh, that's easy. Anatoli needs to remember our brotherhood at an opportune moment and get shot so we can have a nice death scene and wrap up the bratva storyline"

Speaking of which, did they explain how Anatoly fell from his position as the godfather pakhan or did I forget? The last I remember, he was pakhan, arranged for Ollie's rescue ship to surreptitiously be in the right area to see Ollie's SOS flare, and then... That was it. Was there something after that? And if so why is it Oliver's fault?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TwoPair posted:

Speaking of which, did they explain how Anatoly fell from his position as the godfather pakhan or did I forget? The last I remember, he was pakhan, arranged for Ollie's rescue ship to surreptitiously be in the right area to see Ollie's SOS flare, and then... That was it. Was there something after that? And if so why is it Oliver's fault?

He blames Oliver for giving him an optimistic outlook, making him weak, and not sticking around to help.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd argue that there's a basic ethical difference between killing someone in the middle of a fire fight and executing someone as is often the case in those "X should see proper justice" scenes. Not to mention that the writers tend to add complications to executing the bad guy such as "you can't kill Laurel because we need her to tell her where the city's money is." Obviously Arrow tends to draw that poo poo out to the very reaches of acceptable reasoning and sometimes beyond so they can get to the end of the season. But that's just TV.

TwoPair posted:

He's just kind of bitter and angry that Oliver abandoned him and then everything went to poo poo. Thematically it was supposed to work as him having warned Oliver that going it alone and becoming the Arrow would make him a monster but since Oliver found his team/family it was actually Anatoly who ended up being "alone" and becoming a "monster" when his "brother" left him.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I always liked how the first season of Daredevil handled the "no lethal force" question. Matt mentions that he tries not to kill people, but if a dude ends up in traction or a coma he's not gonna cry himself to sleep about it.

And then Daredevil season 2 went to hell and back to the standard "Im a hero and can't kill" namby pamby rote bullshit.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Just like I hate Flash but watch because of the character interaction, I hate this show but watch for the fights and Digg stabbing a dude with an arrow and then shooting him in the face

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I always liked how the first season of Daredevil handled the "no lethal force" question. Matt mentions that he tries not to kill people, but if a dude ends up in traction or a coma he's not gonna cry himself to sleep about it.

And then Daredevil season 2 went to hell and back to the standard "Im a hero and can't kill" namby pamby rote bullshit.

Eh, its kind of the opposite. Matt DOES cry himself to sleep. He's riddled with Catholic guilt for his actions and that's the entire nature of his relationship with the priest. He's constantly seeking forgiveness and approval for his actions. But he still thinks they're necessary and something he's willing to drat his soul for to save others.

Matt didn't backtrack on anything in S2. The big dramatic build of S1 is that the beatings and broken bones that he's been struggling to hold back his guilt about graduate into "God, do I have to kill these men and can I live with that?" Matt's walking down a road the entire time which the priest is trying to get him to see. Once he gets there he faces the struggle he was always going to and when Frank and Elektra show up in S2 with zero regard for human life and the guilt free sleep of psychopaths its Matt's worst fears coming back at him.

If you want cold, callous murderers who never question their actions they don't usually come in "hero" form.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The no kill thing would make more sense if the villains where less vile and hateful. Like if Ollie had just killed Diaz right there, that would have solved a lot of problems.

And I really hope no one is actually trushing Black Siren. I mean, they're really dumb this season, but they can't be that dumb.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Anyone know why the show is taking another break?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

The no kill thing would make more sense if the villains where less vile and hateful. Like if Ollie had just killed Diaz right there, that would have solved a lot of problems.

And I really hope no one is actually trushing Black Siren. I mean, they're really dumb this season, but they can't be that dumb.

With Cayden James it made sense because he repeatedly said "If I don't report back to my associates they will detonate the huge bomb"

The reason to not kill Diaz, the mastermind behind all crime in a city on the edge of destruction, is......

It can't be that they don't want to cross the line into becoming killers because I'm pretty sure that young looking henchman that was shocked Oliver just shot him straight in the heart had less of a reason to be executed on the spot than the guy behind every problem who will continue killing people if he gets away.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They do it every year so they can land in sweeps later.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, its kind of the opposite. Matt DOES cry himself to sleep. He's riddled with Catholic guilt for his actions and that's the entire nature of his relationship with the priest. He's constantly seeking forgiveness and approval for his actions. But he still thinks they're necessary and something he's willing to drat his soul for to save others.

Matt didn't backtrack on anything in S2. The big dramatic build of S1 is that the beatings and broken bones that he's been struggling to hold back his guilt about graduate into "God, do I have to kill these men and can I live with that?" Matt's walking down a road the entire time which the priest is trying to get him to see. Once he gets there he faces the struggle he was always going to and when Frank and Elektra show up in S2 with zero regard for human life and the guilt free sleep of psychopaths its Matt's worst fears coming back at him.

If you want cold, callous murderers who never question their actions they don't usually come in "hero" form.

Yeah, I can see that interpretation. For me I appreciated that the crux of the season wasn't another WAHHHHHH DO I KILL WAHHHH dilemma. Season 1 interrogated the ways that masculinity and violence intertwine, plus the commentary of gentrification, plus the fantastic character shading of Matt and Wilson's dads.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

twistedmentat posted:

They're dumb using real world logic but in Arrowverse logic their trust is probably ultimately well-placed and Black Siren will become good and a regular on the team next year. Or possibly she'll go to jail then they'll contrive a way for her to get out and be on the team next year.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Lord Bude posted:

Anyone know why the show is taking another break?

Need time to debug their random plotline generator

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I already solved the Black Siren problem.

She dies. While dead she encounters original Laurels soul, they fight, she goes to hell and our Laurel comes back.

Bring in John to smooth poo poo out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I already solved the Black Siren problem.

She dies. While dead she encounters original Laurels soul, they fight, she goes to hell and our Laurel comes back.

Bring in John to smooth poo poo out.

Legends just got a nice doodad that helps with stuff like dead sisters. I'd wage my future children on it.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Me every time Black Siren called Quentin "my father": Ugh, gross.

Me that one time she called him Lance, then corrected herself and said "my father" again: Finally! Stop doing tha--Ugh. Gross.

e: The weirdest part of it is it's not bad acting or even an objectively bad plot direction. It's just gross.

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 14, 2018

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Following Stephen Amell on twitter is great because he basically baits trolls on Olicity.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

As a way to write Thea out of the show, hunting down Lazarus pits with Roy and Nyssa is a pretty good one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

As a way to write Thea out of the show, hunting down Lazarus pits with Roy and Nyssa is a pretty good one.

Bring Roy to Legends. Camp Ref'ugee.
The team is down one gay man.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nyssa taunting Felicity about her being married to Oliver was great.

I guess the DA doesn't need Roy to testify anymore? Did I miss something or do they just not care that their star witness is missing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

howe_sam posted:

Someone get the Legends team on an Outlaws spinoff stat.

Not the Arrow team though.

For the love of gods, not the Arrow team.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chokes McGee posted:

Someone get the Legends team on an Outlaws spinoff stat.

Not the Arrow team though.

For the love of gods, not the Arrow team.

I hate to break it to you, but Guggenheim is in charge of both shows.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nyssa taunting Felicity about her being married to Oliver was great.

I guess the DA doesn't need Roy to testify anymore? Did I miss something or do they just not care that their star witness is missing.

You didn't miss anything. They even pointed out how it was so weird that they don't care in spite of their star witness going missing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness he wasn't actually a star witness as they were beating him to try and get him to testify against Oliver. So its not like they actually lost anything. All they could do is pursue an investigation to find the person who they were criminally holding and beating to try and extort a testimonial that would kill their case and send them all to jail.

It was kind of a dumb way to get Roy back involved to get Thea uninvolved. I like Roy and all but seems like they could have just done the Nyssa thing to write Thea out. Roy kind of didn't have any purpose.

He really needs to meet Wally and find some new friends.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm just glad that Roy got one more flip in before being written off the show.

Although really the whole thing seemed kind of weird, like they were prepping a spin off that isn't happening.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I'm just glad that Roy got one more flip in before being written off the show.

Although really the whole thing seemed kind of weird, like they were prepping a spin off that isn't happening.

It's a way to write them off in a position that can reintroduce them when they need to, whether it be back with Arrow, some new show, or the Legends.

Also, I still want a reunion between Nyssa and Sara because the longer they keep them separated, the more awkward it's gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm fine with the way they wrote them off and the idea that Nyssa and Thea are off having adventures and can show up alone or together later. Roy's inclusion and reintroducing just feels very superfulous.

I get that they were trying to give Thea some happy reason to leave so Oliver and everyone was cool with it in a way they wouldn't have been if she had just gone off with Nyssa to dodge Assasins. But Roy was third wheeled so bad that they wrote in him moping about it and then inviting himself along.

Which makes me laugh, but just makes me want him to meet Wally more.