Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ApeHawk posted:

Tobias gets a pass because he was established at the beginning, took out his competition in a timely manner, and has other traits than just "has a lot of money through drug trafficking."

Yeah, Tobias is threatening because he has deep pockets and owns everyone who's even slightly corrupt in the city, but that's not his only character trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Tobias is bland. The two parter with the creepy sanje lady was much more compelling.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Tobias is bland. The two parter with the creepy sanje lady was much more compelling.

Tobias is at his best whenever he’s either beating the poo poo out of or intimidating other people. Also they weren’t sure Black Lightning was going to get a second season so they kind of killed off a lot of his supporting villains rather mercilessly until only Painkiller was left leaving him no one to really bounce off of like he had at the start of the show.

Joey Toledo, Lady Eve, Lala, Victoria and Syonide all got poached real quick and real permanently and the show is somewhat dimmer for their losses.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 6, 2018

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I found D'onofrio's Kingpin to be subpar and the performance strained. In the first season he was upstaged by Wesley who seemed to do all the actual work, and since then he's just been meh. It's like they're coasting on the mythos that they haven't actually contributed to.

Tobias works much better and Krondon kills the performance.

Diaz just sucks and I like Kirk Acevedo.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Tobias is at his best whenever he’s either beating the poo poo out of or intimidating other people. Also they weren’t sure Black Lightning was going to get a second season so they kind of killed off a lot of his supporting villains rather mercilessly until only Painkiller was left leaving him no one to really bounce off of like he had at the start of the show.

Joey Toledo, Lady Eve, Lala, Victoria and Syonide all got poached real quick and real permanently and the show is somewhat dimmer for their losses.

Lady Eve was a far more compelling character than Tobias if you ask me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Lady Eve was a far more compelling character than Tobias if you ask me.

She definitely was. It's a shame she was killed off because she would've made an excellent secondary antagonist to both Jefferson and Tobias. I hope they can get a moderately believable way for her to come back to life (like she made herself a Zombi or something)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Slamhound posted:

I found D'onofrio's Kingpin to be subpar and the performance strained. In the first season he was upstaged by Wesley who seemed to do all the actual work, and since then he's just been meh. It's like they're coasting on the mythos that they haven't actually contributed to.

This is an excellent way to put it. That was my issue with Kingpin, that they never really showed him being much of a criminal. He had a couple violent scenes, but by the time we met him he was so far removed from the street that it was hard to picture how he worked his way up to that position. I haven't watched this season of Black Lightning, but Tobias was much more realistic in that regard in season one, and they don't set him nearly as far above the crime as they tried to with Kingpin.

Diaz doesn't seem as rich and insulated as Kingpin and he doesn't seem like he actually runs a successful business like Tobias, so he just sucks all around.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't remember who Tobias was, so in my mind i'm imagining Tobias Funke going up against team arrow.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I can't remember who Tobias was, so in my mind i'm imagining Tobias Funke going up against team arrow.

Tobias Wale, the albino ex-mayor gang leader. Killed BL's dad, spent the whole first season getting jerked around and threatened by the shadowy government folks who had leverage on him, then got a chance to kill everyone and took it? Ring any bells?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 6, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruceski posted:

Tobias Wale, the albino ex-mayor gang leader. Killed BL's dad, spent the whole first season getting jerked around and threatened by the shadowy government folks who had leverage on him, then got a chance to kill everyone and took it? Ring any bells?

:shrug:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

We're talking about a character on Black Lightning.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Lord Bude posted:

We're talking about a character on Black Lightning.

I know I’m making a joke :ssh:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

I know I’m making a joke :ssh:

It can’t be very good if nobody realised.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Lord Bude posted:

It can’t be very good if nobody realised.

:shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh that's why, I shamefully haven't watched any Black Lightning yet.

But yea, I've said it before but Diaz is a perfect example of telling rather than showing. We are told he's so rich and powerful, and everyone is falling over themselves to apease him and he's 10 steps ahead of everyone, but we are never shown how he does this, what his resources are. It was incredibly lazy writing, the heroes can't stop him because the story says they can't, rather than a actual reason within the universe of the show.

I keep saying, it but I cannot believe otherwise that a senior writer or a showrunner created Diaz and is convinced they've created a great, all time villain, and won't let them do anything that lessens him in anyway.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, they should have shown him doing poo poo last season instead of being surprise he was playing Cayden James. It felt unearned. Also why would you not have more scenes with Kirk Acevedo?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The frustrating thing about Diaz is that I really like some of his scenes. When they give him something to do Acevedo knocks it out of the park.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When they said he was playing Richard Dragon I figured he'd be a good guy.

Maybe he'll get a redemption arc like Bronze Tiger.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, but it'll take another 6 seasons for that to happen.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

When they said he was playing Richard Dragon I figured he'd be a good guy.

I’d say he’s irredeemable at this point given his body count and swath of destruction, but Damien Darhk ended life as a Time Idiot, so who knows.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I still want them to find a way to bring Damien back just long enough for him to be a time idiot during a crossover so that Oliver has to work with him.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Chokes McGee posted:

I’d say he’s irredeemable at this point given his body count and swath of destruction, but Damien Darhk ended life as a Time Idiot, so who knows.

Damian Darhk killed Laurel Lance, and still got to work with the idiots eventually. Diaz has done terrible things to Green Arrow and Company, but would just be another guy on the ship. Has he really done anything worse than what Mick got up to? Constantine?

The problem with Diaz on Legends is that he's not funny. Although the first time someone calls him Dick Dragon, maybe that would change?

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Diaz has a great actor and the character has potential, but he was presented in a terrible way, and his arc was weirdly paced. When he killed Ben Linus his only screen time with lines had been the drug exchange with Diggs. It was obviously supposed to be a surprise twist, but without any context or build up they might as well have had a random passerby kill the leader and declare himself the mastermind.

The exposition episode came WAY too late, and while it did the character some justice with showing how he overtook the drug cartels in the city it ultimately still failed to show how no one ever thought to challenge him back or just point guns/assassins at him.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

kjetting posted:

Diaz has a great actor and the character has potential, but he was presented in a terrible way, and his arc was weirdly paced. When he killed Ben Linus his only screen time with lines had been the drug exchange with Diggs. It was obviously supposed to be a surprise twist, but without any context or build up they might as well have had a random passerby kill the leader and declare himself the mastermind.

The exposition episode came WAY too late, and while it did the character some justice with showing how he overtook the drug cartels in the city it ultimately still failed to show how no one ever thought to challenge him back or just point guns/assassins at him.

I'd also say they are way hard to telling and not showing with Diaz. He isn't particularly clever and really shouldn't hang with Oliver in a fight but they keep SAYING he can with no real reason.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I'd also say they are way hard to telling and not showing with Diaz. He isn't particularly clever and really shouldn't hang with Oliver in a fight but they keep SAYING he can with no real reason.

Don't you remember his mma training from last season? He's clearly an elite fighter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I mean they do show him fighting dirty when going against Ollie early on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Did we ever see anything of the things Diaz claims Oliver did to him to make him develop his insane overblown grudge against Oliver? Like is he even at all remotely justified or warranted in how badly he wants to ruin everyone around Oliver's lives, or are just expected to care about this rando who showed up halfway through last year and replaced a much more interesting and already established villain?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

Or don't because 12 monkeys isn't very good.

Proof that opinions are closer to arseholes than real thought.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OB_Juan posted:

The problem with Diaz on Legends is that he's not funny. Although the first time someone calls him Dick Dragon, maybe that would change?

He's on the team and he's on the ship but spends more time unsuccessfully trying to get Ray to buy drugs because "C'mon, kid! Everybody's doing it! Don't you wanna be cool?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

Was Mick Rory funny before Legends? No, in fact he spent most of Season 1 being a guy so deathly serious people were speculating he was probably going to brutally murder one or more of his team mates. I think the Legends writers could do wonders with Ricardo Diaz.

I mean, Mick still probably could snap and murder one of the other Legends, but when he does at least it will be hilarious instead of horrifying.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

Was Mick Rory funny before Legends? No, in fact he spent most of Season 1 being a guy so deathly serious people were speculating he was probably going to brutally murder one or more of his team mates. I think the Legends writers could do wonders with Ricardo Diaz.

I mean, Mick still probably could snap and murder one of the other Legends, but when he does at least it will be hilarious instead of horrifying.

gently caress you, the show is fun now. Diaz needs to poochy the gently caress out of here.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Have Diaz join the Waverider for a couple episodes. They'll go off to investigate some weird time phenomenon, Diaz gets off the ship and says "Let me handle this," and improbably, all the bad guys are on his side and they give him whatever he wants. Team solves the crisis in record time without leaving any more impact on the timeline.

At the end of the second episode, Sarah tells him that he's acted great so far, but everyone hates him and wants him off the showship.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Batwomaaaaaaan

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They got Gustin to do the vo intro!! :haw:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I'm only a little disappointed they couldn't crossover with Fox's Gotham.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Hell yeah let's keep secrets from Felicity.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Amell, Benoist and Gustin have such great comedic chemistry

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I want Barry and Ollie to keep bickering and never stop :allears:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm rooting for "Batman is a myth, but Batwoman is real, and Bruce Wayne is just some ruch dude" is the status quo in the Arrowverse just for the male nerdrage it'd induce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The corner of Nolan and Burton