Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Flash is great except when they try to lean into the drama. The cast all plays very well off each other when things are happy or even when they're heartfelt, Joe has some great Dad moments and everybody else can feel like they actually care about the people around them, but when they try to take that extra step into Hidden Secrets and Broken Trust and all the stuff that Arrow can play with pretty well I don't think a single character hasn't completely fallen flat on their face. Unfortunately S3 had a lot of that leaning after sticking a countdown timer over Iris's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Seriously though, in what world does "holy poo poo our mayor is the GREEN ARROW" not make you mayor until you're tired of it

Mayor "goes around shooting people" only plays well in some states. And that's if you use a gun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm really a fan of Rene's scenes with both Lance and Oliver. They play off each other well for both the more lighthearted bits and the serious scenes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Eh, I survived "2 geeks 1 keyboard" so this is fine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On the one hand, the DNS servers going down would be a big ol' mess. I don't think it would make planes fall out of the sky, but it would be pretty chaotic. I think manipulating the DNS log (what he actually did under the guise of just blowing it up, if I understand right) would be smaller scope of effect but much worse in the hands of someone with a good plan.

On the other hand, that'll teach those idiots who think a web-enabled toaster is something they needed in their lives.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Sure you can see some of the more fake hits

"Okay, now shove your sword under that guy's arm. Great! Hold it, hooooooold it, make sure everyone has a chance to notice, okay NOW go kill some other dudes."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm glad they didn't take the easy route and make slade a villain again. I love that guy and I want him to just periodically pop up with a bottle of rum and some insane mission he wants to recruit Oliver for.

"I'm retired now. I don't need the Arrow, I need Mayor Queen to have a talk with my HOA."
"Arrows might work better for that one."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

howe_sam posted:

https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/932465585170124801
Look how far the little Batman-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off show has come.

Who's that helmet between Flash and Arrow? Looks familiar but I can't place it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's Rene.

Huh, I completely missed that his getup had changed from the white mask.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I honestly thought that suit-up montage was going to take half the rest of the episode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Supergirl-Guardian needs to get Guardian X's paint job. Looks so much better than dull tacticool black.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Crossover time is the perfect time to go tell the Flash and Legends threads they're dumb.

To which their response is "I know, right? It's great."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Someone already pointed out that all of their inter-team drama conveniently took place in front of the camera, so it’s not unlikely they’re setting up a “we knew you were watching so we staged the team breaking up to catch you off guard” twist.

So it'll be the end of Young Justice season 1?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

Why did he kick the door open? They have handles.

And they're built to kick the windows out too, in case the bus rolls or the handle is otherwise incapacitated. I must admit I have zero knowledge about how well the door latch holds up to kicking.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sir Potato posted:

It has to be the most Tiggum thing ever to not know who a character is after she's been in nearly every episode for the past 6 years.

I assume it was referring to "him" (William but no context) and "Ben" (not even the character's name)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Speaking of which, did they explain how Anatoly fell from his position as the godfather pakhan or did I forget? The last I remember, he was pakhan, arranged for Ollie's rescue ship to surreptitiously be in the right area to see Ollie's SOS flare, and then... That was it. Was there something after that? And if so why is it Oliver's fault?

He blames Oliver for giving him an optimistic outlook, making him weak, and not sticking around to help.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I am going to be really disappointed when this doesn't end with both of them getting their asses kicked by hallucinations like a proper Vertigo episode.

Edit: yup, disappointed.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 6, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

skip all of them

then retroactively go back and skip the ones you've seen

You're gonna give them brain damage with that thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Argue posted:

Next season is gonna be like the Daredevil comics where he's more or less been outed and everyone is convinced of his identity but he still pretends like he's not.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

From memory, Here's a list of bow users in Star City:
The Hood
Arsenal
Merlyn
Cupid
Numerous League of Assassins ninjas
The (Green) Arrow
Speedy

Looking up the wiki, there's also: Komodo, Artemis and I guess Chase also used the bow for a bit.

So yeah. To a lay person in their world, Star City just attracts archers for some weird reason and that all started with the appearances of The Hood. GA has a few kills on his record, notably Damien Dahrk, but impeaching him over that would've been a decent sideplot that would illustrate his own sort of popularity within the city like the news segments in Black Lightning after it was alleged he killed Lady Eve.

Also Diaz, or one of his henchmen anyway.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

That doesn't mean they had some kind of falling out and he can't return to a franchise of shows that LOVES to bring back characters.

Speak of the Devil...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

And the best part is, she’s completely indistinguishable from Black Siren! :v:

I'm trying to get Brownshirt Siren to stick as a nickname, because I like bad puns more than I like adding X to things. But it's not sticking.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

I appreciate where you’re going with this but the word shirt is completely not a part of the original and it just doesn’t work :(

Unfortunately Brown Canary has different connotations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dang it Black Siren, you had a gun. I know you like your shtick, but use it where it's suitable and if you really feel it necessary then shoot him and shriek the corpse.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also did I miss how Diaz got the usb necklace with all the financial data of The Quadrant?

"Hey new guy, here is your membership ring and also all of our banking information. Be careful with that necklace, it's the only one we have."

I think it's not the Quadrant's books, it's Diaz's personal books. But that's what Felicity thought and we never got to see anything, to it could turn out to be a picture of his actual family in Bevery Hills or proof that he hugged a puppy once or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The other condition is that he needs to break up with Felicity again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

So I was thinking today about how they could have salvaged this whole Diaz storyline. One of the biggest problems with the arc has been how he just kind of came out of nowhere and all of a sudden he had this army of corrupt everyone all bowing to his will. A good way to fix this would have been to play the long game and have Diaz ditch out of this season back when he killed Cayden James. Then they could have brought him back next season as the big bad and reveal that he had actually been biding his time building up his criminal empire.

If I were rewriting it (and could actually rewrite worth a drat) I'd put more of Diaz's moves in the first half of the season. Instead of just the CG blackmail, have the corruption building up and attributed to James. Then, when James gets played at the midseason, it's Diaz stepping into the head of a structure that the viewer thought was just dismantled rather than him coming in at full blast from nowhere. I think that would also have let them put Diaz's establishing flashback episode earlier. He's still got some magical mastermind skills, but that episode helps establish a baseline of "he is willing to bet EVERYTHING on this" that takes some of the sting off.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

hmm... if only we had some sort of... ship... to store superfluous characters on...

Oh THAT would go over well. "I'm the Evil Universe duplicate of your dead sister. Let's be besties!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

superLINUS posted:

These loving shows have become absolute hate watches this season. I threw my hands up in despair when Diaz fell into the water, like FFS!

I'm glad Oliver did the same thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The Titans show is actually filming as there was a lot of racist fans freaking out about black Starfire after some set pics leaked.

Of all the things in those set pics to be freaked out about, skin shouldn't be one of them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

New season starts Monday at 8, be-tee-dubs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Vietnamwees posted:

Anyone have any ideas for a new thread title?

We're the flashbacks now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Every time there's a flashforward Barry should run across the screen as a transition wipe.

Big dramatic Island moment, Barry runs in. "Hey guys. Uh, I know I said time travel is bad and never do it, but Grodd's tearing the city apart. Do either of you know where he left his keys back in 2018? No? Sorry to bother you."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BobbyDrake posted:

I skipped the back half of the season last year. I think the last I saw Ollie found out Rene was the one who betrayed him to the FBI. What did I miss?

Diaz got some characterization way too late (poor kid on the criminal totem pole who wanted this really badly and has such a solid plan because he's been dreaming it up for years and is willing to do anything to get it) that then got abandoned again for magical "Diaz has already won and people are terrified of him who could easily put a couple of bullets in his back" super-criminal powers. Alt-universe Laurel played double agent getting into Lance's blind spot thinking she could reform, publicly came out as "Laurel" with some flimsy story about not dying. And... um, the arrow-vigilante who wasn't Prometheus can't recall his name... was Dinah's former partner who got some healing abilities from the particle accelerator. He was a mole in Diaz's organization.

So anyway, there's a whole bunch of drama and double/triple crosses and "who can we trust" stuff. Diaz kills Lance, Laurel kills the partner (he could heal faster, but not fast enough), Dinah went aggro for a while until Olly talker her down, everyone sorted out their issues enough to work together. Diaz lost, and when Ollie was about to kill him Laurel screamed him off a building (actually called out in-episode as "you idiot we could've killed him in full view with an actual body, now he probably survived that"). Laurel becomes mayor, Ollie confesses to the feds in exchange for immunity for everyone else, Dinah becomes the new police chief, and that's about it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

howe_sam posted:

You sure about that?

Was he just The Vigilante? Too many hooded bow-users.

E: wait he used guns. Bah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that was fine. I am giving Arrow one chance and they didn't drop it out of the gate. I would have liked if William had just shot Diaz though.

He had a baseball bat on his door. It's right there!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

That would have be way better. Just go all De Niro in Untouchables on Diaz.

It also allows for half measures. Have him freak out and beat Diaz near to death, then Argus shows up. You have Diaz in lockdown (to be disposed of or used later), Will dealing with justifiable but excessive rage and stuff similar to what Ollie's had to wrestle with, and in general a lot of drama they can do interesting things with. This show can go too deep into the melodrama, but they work well with it more than the other CW shows do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

So the Longbow Hunters are a guy with a shield, a woman with utility darts for every situation, and a stealthy martial artist? I feel like I've seen these folks somewhere before.

I loved Brickwell's face at the end there. Arrow in jail is great in all the ways Flash in jail wasn't.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 23, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Laterite posted:

Arrow turned into Oz so gradually I hardly noticed.

The opening monologue ends with "I am no longer a hero, I am Inmate 4587" instead of "I am the Green Arrow". I'm kinda surprised I only noticed that this week.

I really enjoy the Silencer fights and how they just kill all sound except for an occasional dull thud or whine. Works great in a montage fight like this week's where it then cuts to the folks in the lab and the music kicks in along with all the noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'm curious as to where they're going with the future plot. I mean, Future Star City looks like a shithole so either the season's triumphant conclusion is gonna have some ironic ending where they're going to somehow set the steps to the shithole future in motion, or like, I don't know, the Legends Time Idiots or Flash and XS the other Time Idiots take William and maybe Zoe back to the past? I think it's both interesting and kind of stupid at the same time.

Yeah, the whole "built a wall around the Glades, nobody gets in" sure sounds like one of the rich douches who keep trying to turn that place into a gated community finally succeeded. And it felt odd happening in the same episode as them trying to stop a rich douche from buying everything up.