Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Argue posted:

If you guys want technobabble you should have seen this week's ep of The Flash. I think Speed Force would actually have been a better explanation than the technobabble they did this week.

Caitlyn: "This code looks like a virus."
Cisco: "Well yeah."
Caitlyn: "No no," *mashes keys, code turns into a DNA strand* "I mean an organic virus."

"His powers are derived from the binary code in his DNA. If you hit him with this dart we invented, it will flip all the bits in his DNA so that the 1s become 0s and the 0s become 1s."

For a second I thought "they invented the biological XOR" but realized that I was also wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
It was better than Flash's DNA binary malware, but still awkward. Like ".NET or Java?" would have made more sense but I get it.
Now the way they use "algorithm" on the other hand is purely another word for "magic".

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Its Rinaldo posted:

Why would Oliver ask Dig to be the Green Arrow? Did he forget Digg has a kid? Did Dig?? WTF is Lyla gonna say???

They should bring back Arsenal instead. He's already dead as far as Star City is concerned.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aphrodite posted:

He does that to trail off though. The stuff he says all mumbley isn’t important.

I'm pretty sure those are character directions they are given and they do it on purpose.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Arrow mid-season finale. They have not one, but two generic comic book tech geniuses but nobody ever sweeps for bugs or non-expected transmissions? They don't have an intrusion prevention system (or even detection system)? They don't have a firewall that blocks unknown egress traffic? They don't look for wires that they didn't run? gently caress, the entire base should be a huge Faraday cage with a few small openings for authorized transmissions.

There are high school drop-outs who are better at cybersecurity then they are.

And the solution to figure out who was testifying was super easy:
  1. call an all-hands team meeting
  2. tell team you know someone is testifying
  3. ask who it is

They are all so dumb. So very dumb.

Edit: calm down. just tell yourself that "this is an alternate earth where some offensive technology is 50 years ahead and defensive technology is 50 years behind"

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 28, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Phylodox posted:

Someone already pointed out that all of their inter-team drama conveniently took place in front of the camera, so it’s not unlikely they’re setting up a “we knew you were watching so we staged the team breaking up to catch you off guard” twist.

I don't think the writers are that clever, but we'll see.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aphrodite posted:

"The tech guy who is much, much better than them concealed it from their sweeping tools."

He probably just duct taped a cell phone to the ceiling because they are dumb enough to never notice it.

Edit: I do not regret this being at the top of a page.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wheat Loaf posted:

Man, it's been almost 10 years and I'm still befuddled by the memory of Internet people complaining that the Speed Racer movie was "too silly" and how "fans deserved edgier fare".

Obviously, that was the year of The Dark Knight and people were masturbating over things being Very Serious, but good grief.

For me, Speed Racer captured the cartoon, almost too literally. But I loved it for it. Same as Dick Tracy.
And the Spridle and Chim Chim was 100% like the cartoon. And the casting was absolutely perfect.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bentacos posted:

I wish they had kept Nyssa around to continually dunk on Felicity about being married to Ollie first.

The "sister wife" quip was easily the best line of the entire season.

Edit: Diaz. Diaz-who? It was neat to have a secret villain embedded in Cayden's crew, but Diaz didn't earn the role. He was a nobody with no foreshadowing, no real backstory, just "I have millions and millions of dollars and a network of informants and spies who can suss out how to blackmail literally every single person in Star City -- and I hate Oliver Queen for 'reasons'."

I was hoping they'd embrace Oliver being mayor and have him hang up the hood, give it to Diggle. Take the show in an actual interesting direction. But, nope. This crap. Again. I hate this dumb show but keep watching it. If only to see how stupidly and inconsistently they can write everyone.
I was furious over how they've been writing Dinah. She had no reason to care that deeply for Vince. She had no reason to "fall" for him again. She had no reason to be driven to homicidal rage when he was murdered. They had a six month relationship while undercover.

How can Legends of Tomorrow be so good while Flash and Arrow are so horrible?

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 16, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Whether or not you personally feel someone can fall in love in 6 months or how strong one's feelings can be for having that person murdered in front of you, its been Dinah's characterization since the beginning. When we met her she was in a murderous rage seeking revenge for Vince after seeing him murdered in front of her. She never gave any indication that she had moved past him or gotten over him. So it makes perfect sense for her character to fall back in love when she finds out he's alive and to once again go into a murderous rage after once again having her murdered in front of him. All the other drama being icing on the cake.

Now whether it was a good story or whether Vince was a well established enough character to make US feel the same way Dinah did or sympathize with her anger is another matter entirely. I'd lean towards agreeing that it missed the shot there.

It's just... they didn't really make her seem like the "homicidal rage" type until this happened. She seemed like a level-headed, intelligent, cop. I'm not even sure why she turned to vigilantism other than "I have a super power". I honestly don't remember. But, I want consistent characterization like "this doesn't change anything

hoss."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe not remember her origin is the problem. Because when we met her she was a homicidal vigilante raging out and revenge killing over Vince's murder. Oliver had to talk her down and appeal to her as someone who had been there and found a better way to get her to join the team and pay by his rules. Its entirely consistent for her to become the same person under the same circumstances with the same dead dude, especially as she rebels against Oliver's rules. It hasn't even been that long of a time span.

Again, I'm not really defending the Vince stuff. I don't think he was the character they wanted him to be and I'm not invested in Dinah's pain and emotion. But I buy it because its the same pain and emotion she had when she was introduced and she really hasn't ever done anything to indicate she got past that before reliving that trauma in the most literal way imaginable.

Okay. She is a rage-fueled killing machine by default. The whole "good cop" thing is her cover like when Ollie was a playboy millionaire by day and murderer by night. Got it. That makes more sense.
Her cover is so good, she even fooled me (because my memory is bad).

Edit: I like character growth. I was really hoping she was the good cop. But she isn't, is she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bruceski posted:

Also Diaz, or one of his henchmen anyway.

And about a dozen cops after his Velocity-fueled rampage.