Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Even if John being Arrow doesn't last long, I find it cute that they took his dumb Magneto Spartan helmet out of the intro with the other super-logos since he's the Arrow for now.

Also holy poo poo come on, this is approaching Flash levels of teammates keeping secrets. John and Dinah both know John's unfit for duty yet neither of them tell Oliver because... Oliver really has faith in John? If nothing else, tell Curtis so he can make a bullshit paralysisnerve damage curing chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know Oliver is cool and all and the writers are trying to show how ruthless/hardcore his Nazi version is, but I think it was enough for him to take down Rory and Caitlin. Having him go the extra mile and own Team Arrow seemed a little overkill.

That said this whole event is awesome so far. I had a smile on my face from the very first big establishing shot of Central City with the Waverider touching down while Supergirl's breach opened while the Arrow-bike rode into town.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just once I wish an Arrowverse show would surprise me. But whoa the team was keeping secrets and fell apart what a twist whoaaa :geno:

That said, I do appreciate Thea's comment to Rene about how she doesn't date DJs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I get that it was meant to be touching but all I could do during Thea's "think of your other daughter" scene was imagine Lance going

"Oh Sara's off in time or whatever ohhhh you meant yourself"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean even if he wasn't, Oliver dated Laurel for a long time (and fooled around with Sara) so Lance would presumably know the Queen family pretty well

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually kind of liking this season but it's becoming increasingly hard for me to buy how uninvolved the outside world is in these affairs. Like okay, I can maaayyybe understand why they wouldn't take action back when Slade was attacking the city since that came out of nowhere, or even when Dahrk was in the "assholes commit random acts of violence" phase of his plan. But seriously, the mayor of a large city just announced that it is being targeted by a domestic terrorist and they even have his name*. Like holy poo poo, the FBI and Homeland Security should be blowing up his phone and offering aid and sending troops and blah blah etc. Those safe zones shouldn't just be covered by cops and five vigilantes (plus one Vigilante :v:), they should have the loving National Guard out there. And of course the elephant in the room on any episode of Arrow, or at least the big city-threatening ones, is always ARGUS**. Ever since Diggle and Lyla got back together and especially since Lyla took over as the head of ARGUS, they should be stepping in every time a threat escalates in the city, especially since they're apparently headquartered there (or they're at least close enough to where Lyla can commute to work). Maybe Cayden James is the best hacker in the history of ever, and he can't be tracked, but Anatoly and all the other random goon squads that have been attacking should have been gunned down a while back.

*Of course the real problem is Oliver, who by this point should really have tracked down Agent Watson and just fessed up "Hey yes I'm the Green Arrow now please let's cut the poo poo and save my city?"

**Of course the real elephant in the room is the Flash, where they currently have three (four if you can get Barry to phase his mopey rear end out of jail) superheroes who could really help just sitting around, but years of watching/reading Batman have taught me to stop questioning why Superman/actual superheroes don't save the day in Gotham when poo poo really hits the fan, because the answer is always "because shut up that's why". So it doesn't count.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Who would even want to live in Star City anymore? Every year there is some new poo poo that ruins it.

I've come to accept it as the Gotham City/Marvel NYC rule where either the populace is really stupid or maybe life is just super great on non-attack days.

e: I like to imagine on their morning commute people listen to news about supervillain attacks on commercial breaks. Like the local zoo crew throws it over to superfight watch instead of the weather to tell you which roads are closed because they're blown up.

e2: Oh my god that's why people live there, there must be a ridiculous amount of job opportunities in Star City what with all the explosions. Sure the mortality rate on workers in the abandoned warehouse district might be a little high but man, someone has to clean up all the explosive arrow tips and/or dead mook bodies lying around after these fights. Star City is solving America's unemployment problem one villain at a time! :911:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 27, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

Things seem to be escalating an awful lot considering how early in the season it is. I find myself wondering if Caden James is only the miniboss.

Wasn't Ivan Drago Dolph Lundgren still alive at the end of last season's flashback plot? There's no way he's not coming back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Frankly the most unbelievable part of the episode isn't the superpowers or the pointless infighting between Team Arrow and the Outsiders, it's that super-hacker Cayden James would use something as easy to guess as his kid's birthday for his door passcode.

e: so are we taking bets on who the actual mastermind is? I mean, Laurel is almost too obvious of a guess. So I'm going with Helix girl or Cayden's actually-not-dead kid.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 3, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What was Superman's excuse for not helping Gotham City during No Man's Land? Just apply that to the Flash.

e: after typing that post and thinking about it, I feel like Arrow is trying to do NML-lite, but they don't have nearly the budget it would take to depict a totally wrecked city, so they're just gonna talk about how isolated from the rest of the world they are since they can't show good reasons.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 3, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Dammit, show, I've been willing to give you a pass for the same reason I give Batman comics a pass: Just don't acknowledge the way more powerful heroes nearby and it all works. But then the minute you bring Barry in (even if it's just as a Gustin-less streak of CGI), the entire show gets 10 times stupider because it raises the question of why they haven't called for help sooner.

Also I wish, just wish the show would legitimately surprise me. Like, has any villain on Arrow actually made it to court and/or prison?* The minute Oliver left him in a room alone he was already dead and loving everybody knew it. I mean drat, could you maybe have the FBI agent pop in menacingly to try and coax Oliver's identity from him? Or maybe Felicity 2 shows up to reveal she was actually in charge? I guess Lance turning into kind of a creep and holding Black Siren hostage is something? I know all these superhero shows are not exactly high art but drat, I wish there was a plot exciting enough that I couldn't guess the end about 15 minutes in.

*okay I guess Slade went to prison without trial in Guantanamo Bay Lian Yu.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Am I supposed to care about this guy?

Yeah from the minute James was assembling his Legion of Doom I was wondering who the hell he was. Also if he's supposed to be the big final boss villain of the season, maybe they could show a hint that he's planning ahead. I mean I don't need the Thinker's 12-dimensional chessmaster poo poo from Flash, but seriously, his plan was to use James to weaken the city and then take it over, but James had everyone seconds away from nuclear death, and the guy's plan was what, just bank on James wimping out in the end?

Also also I am worried literally every second William is on screen. I don't want him to die but I expect it to happen constantly as he is both a.) Oliver's weakest point and b.) always doing the stupidest poo poo.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 9, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I thought it was going to be the hacker girl who was going to be revealed as the real villain. Because they were focusing on her like crazy in the flashbacks, and she’d been with James long enough to know enough of the ins and outs of his personal life and Helix to pull one over on him and cover her tracks. Plus her warning not to go to Owen’s game sounded REALLY suspicious. Like “please don’t do the thing that would conveniently break my entire plan,” level suspicious.

But I guess that was all just a red herring.

I don't know, that camera didn't just turn itself off. Other Hacker Girl could be a mole. I mean, this town ain't big enough for two Felicities...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Psychepath posted:

Quentin's ongoing Laurel-quest is maybe the worst storyline in modern television superhero fiction. It's impossible to follow if you haven't watched 3 seasons of different shows and sucks even worse if you have.

Normally I'd agree but now that it looks like they're going to go into a full Misery-style creep mode with Lance, it's certainly finally something new.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You know even with all the shenanigans the entire rest of the season, I've still been enjoying the show. I liked the concept of the Outsiders, I liked Oliver juggling an impending FBI investigation and mayoral duties, I even liked Cayden James' 12-steps-ahead rear end. It was all ridiculous but it was a comic book show so I could accept it.

But godDAMN this was a stupid episode on every conceivable level. Everybody is either an idiot or an rear end in a top hat, unless they're both. And somehow at the end of the episode neither team has any moral high ground. Except I guess Thea, who was smart enough to quit the game and avoid all this poo poo.

I mean Jesus, say what you will about the Flash and its gang of idiots but at least they can focus on the loving villain without havingbeating each other up. Speaking of focusing on the villain, I refuse to buy Laurel evading capture. Even if everyone focused on Rene, she has an open bullet wound and possibly a concussion after being beaten with a metal pole. Ollie could've easily gone back after getting Rene to the hospital and followed the blood trail to her (or more likely her corpse).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think the Outsiders were really meant to be presented in a more sympathetic light. Curtis clearly knew he was crossing a line with Diggle and the whole narrative was about both teams just crossing line after line with each other.

But it was definitely clumsy the way they did that last scene. Like it makes sense that since Rene is the one most hurt Team Arrow would so up and care while the Outsiders would be angry. And the "we're done" speech was kind of a natural result of the episode. But the way it was presented it definitely made the Outsiders look like they were taking a holier than thou stance despite knowing what they did.

There's lots of other clumsy timeline and dramatic stuff but I don't care about that because I know what show I've been watching for the last five and a half years.

I don't know, I think they were supposed to be sympathetic, which is stupid. They cross lines, but the only time they (and the show) even acknowledge it is the John thing. Stuff like bugging Oliver is (as written) supposed to be seen as a clever ploy, not as another betrayal of trust. Otherwise they just go "oooh that darn Oliver is so distrustful :argh:" while Rene and Curtis just kind of brush off Dinah's seething rage. It's just so goddamn stupid.

That said even if it is corny, the one shining spot in this episode for me was Oliver going "I have failed this city".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Frankly the dumbest thing about the whole conflict is Curtis (and Felicity I guess) harping about them not sharing information. I mean no matter how you look at it, that is objectively bad for the city. Let them tackle problems differently if you want, but it is a Bad Thing© to let your crimefighting friends run around in the dark.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's just that anything would be better than last week messing with my head, but I actually thought last night was pretty good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Was there even a mirror in that room?

Honestly though, I'm glad they're already addressing the corruption rather than saving it for some almost-end-of-season twist. I mean they'll probably treat it as a big reveal when they find out the commissioner is dirty, but still, it feels like the show is course correcting after veering way into crazy town.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I think the standard for quite awhile now has been "No assassinating dudes if it's avoidable but when in a gunfight with private armies equal force is ok."

I mean, Diggle and Rene have been carrying around guns for awhile now.

Oliver doesn't have a "don't kill" rule as much as an "exhibit self control and don't kill as a first resort" rule. That was basically the resolution of the Darkh, Ra's, and Prometheus stuff.

I think Rene and Dig's guns shoot rubber bullets. I mean, I know rubber bullets can still seriously injure people, but it's at least a tiny excuse.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Laterite posted:

Like this week's Flash, it wasn't a bad episode per se, just that the underlying plot framework is held together by chewing gum and baling wire.

Well yeah but that's basically everything past... I don't know, the first season probably?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

:confused:"Fine. Why didn't we kill Anatoli? He wants nothing but revenge and has been nothing but a problem and almost destroyed the city."
:smugbert:"Oh, that's easy. Anatoli needs to remember our brotherhood at an opportune moment and get shot so we can have a nice death scene and wrap up the bratva storyline"

Speaking of which, did they explain how Anatoly fell from his position as the godfather pakhan or did I forget? The last I remember, he was pakhan, arranged for Ollie's rescue ship to surreptitiously be in the right area to see Ollie's SOS flare, and then... That was it. Was there something after that? And if so why is it Oliver's fault?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I say let them run it into the ground as long as they can. I mean personally the show's never stopped being entertaining to me, whether it's because the show is actually good or because it's godawful and it's like watching a train wreck. I think the closest it's come (for me) to just being dull and therefore unwatchable is the start of season 4(?) with Vinnie Jones' painfully forgettable/bland crime boss, I can't even remember how he died.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also I completely forgot but what was the green vial he gave Laurel at the end?

I'm assuming the last bit of Vertigo. I don't know what one dose does though. Maybe plant it in Oliver's office to make his life even worse?

Also I have literally no idea why Laurel is on this show. I mean, I know why, it's because Lance needs a plot where he cries about his daughter being dead while trying desperately to turn his evil daughter into a replacement daughter, and also because Katie Cassidy wants a paycheck. But in-universe it makes no sense. She's using her knowledge of Oliver's identity as leverage, which would've been fine and dandy up until a loving Nazi army walked through a portal into a major city. The world knows all too well the multiverse exists now, so just tell the press "oh Laurel-2 was confused because their Green Arrow was Oliver Queen but rest assured our Oliver Queen is not", show the test with her backwards DNA or whatever dumb differentiating factor the Earth-2 people have, then have Cisco and Barry strand her back on Earth-2 before she pulls another round of double triple secret agent on everyone.

Also also: so there's zero way Curtis' new boyfriend isn't corrupt, right?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 6, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ApeHawk posted:

Hey guys, what kind of plots do people hate?

Ones where the team splits up over the stupidest reasons while fighting a villain who isn't shown doing anything but everyone talks about how dangerous he is?

Yeah, let's do that after doing the exact opposite last season and everyone loving that.

Honestly I like the premise so far of "every level of government is corrupt and Oliver realizes how he's alienated everyone around him" even if parts like the Outsiders leaving were sloppy, but Diaz just sucks so hard as a villain. If Cayden James or Anatoly or Laurel or anyone else were the big boss with everything else the same, it'd be infinitely better. I mean I was getting tired of his overuse but gently caress, give me Merlyn again! Just save me from this bland rear end in a top hat and his lovely Tony Montana impression.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Well that's weird as hell but a welcome change. Really worried about Dig's future now.

More worried about Thea's. I mean wasn't this supposed to be her swan song, riding into the sunset going on some bullshit quest with Roy? I mean I guess they could just say "oh it didn't work out after all :shrug:"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just watched the episode and I want to dislike it but man I love mindfuck episodes. Give me all the illusions. I only wish Hood-Oliver was in more scenes taunting Oliver instead of Chase, but I get why they did it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

You know that Diaz has truly won because they put a dragon on the opening logo.

Wait really? I missed that. Side note: I really like how they changed the title now that everyone's gone.

VVV: ohhh you mean tonight's. I'm like an hour behind so I hadn't seen it yet

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 20, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just caught up on the last two episodes and I think this season will play much better in binge-watch form. I mean don't get me wrong, it still won't be good, but it won't be awful.

However, I'm loving lolling my head off here at one of the leaders (actually 3 if you count the guys at the end of the episode) of a criminal syndicate meeting another and for some reason not bringing. If they were even being the slightest bit realistic, they could've given that one guy a bodyguard and have one of the cops shoot the bodyguard immediately after Diaz slashes his throat. Also going back a few episodes, I refuse to believe that in a world of super-folks, the supposed most rich powerful mobsters have zero meta-enforcers and Diaz has the monopoly on superpowers through. Basically what I'm saying is that for all the Diaz stuff being stupid, the Quadrant stuff is possibly stupider. It adds nothing to the story since all that it serves to do is explain where the endless henchmen come from, which frankly doesn't need that much explaining.

And really this whole season could have been really helped if not made outright good if you switched Diaz to the mid-season baddie and James to the big baddie. Better yet don't have James use his real name that way when they pull the midseason not-terribly-surprising reveal that he's the villain, they can reveal that he's kind of sort of someone returning from last season!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean technically he did back in season 1...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
On one hand, I get why they do the "heroes don't kill" thing, because it's good for kids (though I doubt kids are watching soapy poo poo like the CW-verse) and because it lets them milk drama from Oliver wanting to kill but being unable to. And also I guess it keeps him on the good side of his non-killing friends and Lance.

On the other, if they're really going to keep doing these season-long (or mid-season long) villains, then they've got to come up with a better excuse, because holy poo poo Diaz has earned a ton of arrows. The last time Oliver honestly had an excuse to not kill was season 2 when that dead-Tommy wound was still fresh.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My cable cut out right as Lance was going into surgery and didn't come back until Oliver's little speech at the end. I mean I knew he was a dead man but still it would have been nice to actually see the reactions.

Also I would really like to see one of these drat series just let an actor quit without killing the character. Both Lance and Professor Stein on Legends have had pretty preventable deaths but nope we can't just have them ride into the sunset, gotta give these characters a little more angst since they didn't have enough already.

Also also... so what's gonna happen with Laurel? I mean we can't have two screaming vigilantes around. The Arrowverse rejects redundancy if Kid Flash is any indication.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

It was also really weird how the show namedropped the "Longbow Hunters" but they never actually appeared at all.

Eh, season 3 namedropped Damien Dahrk in the final few episodes and season 5 both introduced Cayden James without showing him and left Vigilante on the loose. The show's set stuff up before. I rewatched the episode to catch the couple minutes my cable dropped, and I've gotta say for as much as I hated him all season, I really liked Diaz in this final episode. Avecedo plays him so unhinged while he's losing his cool it's pretty great. If he shows up next season acting that crazy without having some 12-step-ahead plan, I might actually be excited.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I hope that if they're going to have Curtis stay on the show he can maybe actually do something besides get owned constantly.

Also they need to make sure he never mentions being an Olympian again, because I like you Echo Kellum, but I don't buy that poo poo for a minute.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Also spoiler for next season. Supposedly Oliver is getting the goatee.

I will forgive every single one of this season's egregious sins if that's true.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Klungar posted:

It should be noted that this is a new writing staff to go along with the new showrunner. Not sure how many of them, if any, are holdovers from the most recent season.

I thought one of the main good things about Kreisberg leaving (besides him being a sex monster) was that they'd stop axing all of the writers between seasons?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 1, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Frankly I just want to know what kind of dumb way he's going to get his secret identity back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I think. I can't remember how Evil Laurel's story resolved last season.

I think it was pretty vague. Like she teamed up with Ollie/the Feds to take down God Diaz because for some reason she feared him, and she gave Sara a hug when Lance was going into surgery but she never fully turned face and she was triple crossing everyone all season like loving Revolver Ocelot so who knows.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

She's not gay enough for some people.

I hate hate hate when this becomes A Thing on the internet. Like it's not enough that there's a LGBT superhero show coming out or that they actually got an out actress to star but noooo people just can't be happy.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 8, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

It's gay twitter that was mad this time.

Yeah, white male twitter probably got it out of their system back when Batwoman was created (and/or when the show was announced), the casting is comparatively nothing to get worked up over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I predict Diaz will take the time-honored tradition of being the season's mid boss only to get chumped by whatever this new season's big villains are (presumably the Longbow Hunters teased at last season that never actually showed up). He might not die immediately but he'll be around just to show how much he hasn't already won and how these guys have in fact already won.